Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Hi All,

Okay for those of you who have gone through stage 1 and 2. How long were you off work? My job requires a lot of driving and walking and sometimes I even have to climb up and down ladders in ships and submarines... Both of the last times I had surgery, the Dr's said I should be back to work in 4 weeks...What a laugh... Since I now have a frozen left shoulder, I am not climbing any ladders for a long time now.

I am out of FMLA but my job has a way that I can request additional time off. They will review it and allow it if it meets their criteria. That way I don't have to worry about losing my job. I think FMLA is 12 weeks in a running year period. So I won't do stage 2 until my next running year starts the end of October 2010...

What happens if your breasts end up smaller than you want them to be? Can they add fat to make them bigger? I was a DD cup before the Bimx and the one implant I have left is DD as well. I am not sure I have enough ab fat to do 2 DD boobs....I think D will be fine but I don't want to have boobs much smaller than that. Liz said my photos look like they  can do DIEP and get D cups but I am not sure....I know this is "boob greed" but I don't want to look like a bowling pin.

How long after the surgeries do you have to take pain meds?

Lynn

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Lynn~ They could always use the stack method to get you bigger.  This would be the diep with some type of flap in addition.  The only other option is to have an implant placed.   For stage 1 I used 3 painpills once I got home and they were only at night.  So all in total I used less than 10 painpills (not because I didn't want to but if I am no in enough pain I get sick from the pills).  Stage 2 I didn't have any painpills after day 2 at the hospital it was not worth it after I tried to throw up and with having abdominal muscle work it hurt like hell.  So on to tylenol I went.  My biggest issue is sleeping and when I get a good nights sleep I feel incredible. 

So my rash is on it's way out so I am thrilled about that.  I am allowed to switch to a non dom. outfit but when I pulled everything out from stage 1 they are all lower. :(  So I am still in the dom. until I find something high enough.  I haven't gone out looking yet but I will before the end of the weekend.  The dom. outfit that they gave me is too small so where it is double ply (in the abdomin) it keeps bunching and where I am bunching it hurts :(.  So my son (who is 4) and I can't my boo-boos today and I have 15 holes or openings....lol...  He has been very nice to me since then Smile

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Jaimie,

Glad to hear your rash is on the way out.  15 Boo Boos- thats alot!

I called the Center back yesterday & finally got a Antibiotic perscribed.  So hopefully that will get things healing.

It Snowed here last night!  Grass was white when we were coming home.

Was gone by morning.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Pam, I hope you are on your way to a smooth recovery now!

Lynn, I was off work for 5 weeks with stage I, then did a 5K at six weeks out.  I don't have a physically demanding job though, so I guess it depends on how much they require you to do when you go back to work.  I did find driving a bit difficult in that it was tough to look over my shoulder to back up or change lanes, but with some stretching that did resolve quickly.

For my second stage, I had about 14" of my abdominal incision re-opened due to a complication, lots of lipo, and my DIEP flaps were moved and reshaped a lot.  I think I stayed off work for about 10 days.  For all of the subsequent revision surgeries, I went back to work the first business day after flying home from NOLA.  I had a lot of revisions because my first surgeon made really UGLY breasts and Dr. D had a lot of work to do on me.

Sandy

• SandyinSoCal
    edited May 2010

Hey Spring!!  I rescheduled my surgery for October 29th, so please put me back on the list! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Sheridan- 

Pain meds - took for about12 days after Stage 1, and maybe 5 days after STage 2.

Back to sedentary work part-time at 4 weeks, fulltime 5 weeks after Stage 1, at 10 days Stage 2.  For both, there is a lifting max of 10 pounds until week 6.

Breast size - it's way better to be a bit too big after Stage 1, so they can reduce at Stage 2, rather than hoping for them to make you larger at Stage 2.  I had a reduction at Stage 2, but for some reason ended up needed in a fat graft on one outside edge.  There are some stats that fat grafts are effective about 60% of the time.  On me, I'm hoping for 100%  :) 

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

My STage 1 was mid-Jan.  My purple belly button line is now pink and beginning to fade.  Uh, that is until it was re-used for Stage 2 lipo.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited May 2010
    2tzus it's been a while since I had my tattoos done, but it was a $300 copay for me to have it done at the Center, or $300 to go to Donn's studio.   The amount may be dependent upon your insurance. I elected to have them done at the Center.  I don't know how they would arrange the photos taken immediately after if you chose not to have them done there--maybe no photos are taken in that case. 
  • Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

Happy Mother's Day to all mother's!  What a wonderrful group you all are!

I have a couple of questions, and figured this thread was probably even better than a phone call to NOLA for getting lots of info (thank you!): 

I am almost 6 weeks out from Stage 1 DIEP, Stage 2 in 6 weeks.

1.  Did you wait until your belly button and all scabs were gone before a tub bath?

2.  Did anyone return to pilates, when, and how did it go?

3.  When did you/could you start sleeping some way other than on your back (worst part of this recovery!)

4.  Did you buy new bras, if so when and what kind? Or, did you just stay in the center bras 'til Stage 2? 

5.  For those who had nipple and skin sparing stage 1, did anyone have a lift and reduction at Stage 2?  Did it add scars?  Reduce sensation?  Any other tips/thoughts?

Thank you!

Jinger/Jen 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day!  Have a Great Day Everyone! Laughing 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited May 2010

Happy Mother's Day to all!  My kids are apparently all still sleeping so I haven't heard from any of them yet. 

Jinger, I was instructed not to swim for six weeks or until the incisions were completely healed. I would think the same applies to bathing.  After stage I, I was sleeping on my back for three months because I became accustomed to it and it actually relieved chronic back pain I'd had for years. It triggered a different problem though---I was not getting any REM sleep and my blood pressure started going up 10 points per month.  It took some investigation to figure out the relationship, and now I have to sleep on my side.  I did buy new bras, which I'm still wearing.  I like wearing underwire, especially now that I'm larger than I was before.  I've worn the post-surgical bras for 4-6 weeks after each surgery, then switched to my own bras.  

I didn't have nipple-sparing, but I assume that you have no sensation there.  I don't think a lift would cause the loss of more sensation.  You may end up with a horizontal scar under the breast, but they are not noticeable and will fade like the other scars will.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2010

Happy mother's day to everyone!

Jinger, here is my experience:

1. Did you wait until your belly button and all scabs were gone before a tub bath?  Yes

2. Did anyone return to pilates, when, and how did it go?  Don't do Pilates, but I waited about 4 weeks to start walking...still took it kind of easy.  

3. When did you/could you start sleeping some way other than on your back (worst part of this recovery!)  I sleep on my back anyway, so it was okay for me.  I was told by the Center no side sleeping for 6 weeks.

4. Did you buy new bras, if so when and what kind? Or, did you just stay in the center bras 'til Stage 2?  I found the Center bra very uncomfortable so I bought some Danskin sports bras (they have no band on the bottom) and then later some soft (no underwire) bras.  I just tried on some of my regular bras last night and was surprised they fit and are comfortable.  I am 11 weeks out.

5. For those who had nipple and skin sparing stage 1, did anyone have a lift and reduction at Stage 2? Did it add scars? Reduce sensation? Any other tips/thoughts?  I had NS but have only had stage 1.  I will have a lift at stage 2 (May 20), no reduction as I am not big and don't really want to lose any volume.  I expect that after the lift I will have a vertical scar from the nipple down.   Since it takes forever for scars to fade on me, I am hoping that the lift is worth it because I am not really unhappy with the way they look now.  We'll see.  I want to talk to Dr. D about it and see what he thinks.

Hope that helps!

Suzanne

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010
    1.  Did you wait until your belly button and all scabs were gone before a tub bath? ...... I was told to snip off all belly button stitches which had not come off by 6 weeks.  My scabs were all either off or ready to come off, too.  Glue kind of hung around, but taking it off was no big deal.2.  Did anyone return to pilates, when, and how did it go? ...... I resumed physical therapy, treadmill and exercise bike, all at lower levels.  Can't comment otherwise.3.  When did you/could you start sleeping some way other than on your back (worst part of this recovery!) ....... I was told I could do whatever I wanted regarding sleeping at 6 weeks.4.  Did you buy new bras, if so when and what kind? Or, did you just stay in the center bras 'til Stage 2? .......... I had two very different sized breasts, so the Center's stretch bra was my best bet.  I'm 2.5 weeks post-Stage 2, am very much the same size (hooray) and can finally decide about bras.5.  For those who had nipple and skin sparing stage 1, did anyone have a lift and reduction at Stage 2?  Did it add scars?  Reduce sensation?  Any other tips/thoughts?....... I had NS at Stage 1.  Stage 2 was a lift/reduction, lipo and an ab repair.  I have the same vertical scar as Stage 1, plus an additional small horizontal scar at the base of my breasts due to the reduction.  I don't know if they do that incision with a lift only  (probably not).  Areolas are smaller now with the lift/reduction.  Sensation is similar.  I have always had sensation around my breast up until about 1/2" from the areola.  That's the same.   
  • Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Here's wishing a very Happy Mother's Day to the most wonderful group of mothers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing!! I love you all!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Ladies I am drain free for the First time since March 23, can hardly believe it. I would like to wish you all a Happy Mothers  Day

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010
    Awesome new Sally!!!  Enjoy being drain free Smile
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Lynn I had 8 weeks off for Stage 1 (4 laps, both front and back! ) and 4 for Stage 2. I needed all the time... I think it depends on how much you have done and how much time you can take off. The Center is really good about giving you the time you think you need, at least they were with me. Time off was never an issue, they were very helpful and filled in all the paperwork my employer required. 

Sandy Sandy Sandy. I put you in the list for OCTOBER!!!   OCTOBER already!!!   I wonder if I should do my tattoo then... am considering it. Not sure I am ready for a surgical tweak yet....  finally feeling better, hard to imagine going back under!!!!  

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2010

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, whether you're a mother or not. I'm blessed with step kids, and two fabulous granddaughters who called to wish me a good day. And Tim and I got out and did about 50 miles on our bikes, so I'm exhausted.

Hard to believe that this time last year I was packing for Charleston and Stage 1. Where on earth has the time gone? Despite two big surgeries, I'm stronger than ever, and happier than I've been in the 8 years since my first diagnosis.

Life is good. I wish everyone the same happiness.

Anne

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

.......Despite two big surgeries, I'm stronger than ever, and happier than I've been in the 8 years since my first diagnosis......

I am very glad for you!  It's encouraging!

I am currently discouraged.  I'm tired, arm lymphedema is wearing me out, my Stage 2 looks good but I have an area of concern, and now I'm wondering if one of my areas is developing cellulitis, which is a complication of lymphedema.  I'm finding that I just can't take much more right now.  I hope I can write a post like yours soon. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Happy Mother's Day everyone!!!

Anne - your bike ride sounds like FUN!!! 

KC - hang in there w/the lymphedema. It is the one thing I have left (now that I am not flat anymore) that I truly despise with this whole cancer shmancer crap. And it does take a LOT out of you. I really hope that it is not cellulitis that you are getting! Keeping my fingers crossed!

So for Valentine's Day my daughter picked out some beautiful tulips from the store. Then yesterday we did a 7.1 mile hike with 3000' of vertical gain. I carried my little one and my five year old WALKED the ENTIRE way! She is a trooper! All this and when we came out of the tree line we got rained on, hailed on AND snowed during the last half mile to the summit and back down! My girls are going to be tough! Never mind that now I can't go down a flight of stairs without grimacing and taking forever... but I am super happy because this is the first big hike I have done since my diagnosis and subsequent lymphedema. I found that if I wear both my sleeve and glove and use trekking poles to keep my arm elevated and in use, that I don't swell up nearly as bad hiking! And that was even with carrying my daughter on my back! (Okay, but then I have the best carrier in the world, so most of her weight was on my hips.)  Then after that great workout my hubby took us all out for dinner and ice cream! It was a fabulous day!

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Okay so I am 10 days out and my fat injections on my left side did NOTHING to fix the ledge that I have :(.  I am sad that it wasn't fixed and that it may never be fixed....I posted pictures of it on Tim-Tam's site.  I will be calling to find out this week if it can be even fixed.  BTW, can someone let me know if it is normal for nipples to look like these ???

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2010

Greetings

I have been away for a while and am trying to cath up on posts.

Re the comments about Hopkins. I had srugery thre and while the docs may be competent --more about this -- the experience is totally different from being at NOLA. Hopkins is an academic medical center, not a private practice, and this is evident in every step of the procedure and aftercare. If you email call with a question you get a 3 word response via blackberry from the nurse practitioner. If you call after hours you wait for hours to hear from a resident on call.

I went to Hopkins because it they accept insurance --my copay was $3000 --and because I really liked Jaime Florse, the doc there who specializes in bilateral SGaps.I learned two days after my first post op visit that he was leaving to work at Miami. I felt deserted, and that no one was in charge. (The docs thre would beg to differ, I know, but that is how I felt). There is no patient support group of any kind. I had tremendous pain in my gluteal area/leg for months whenever I walked more than 50 feet for months and was terrified that it would be a permanent side effect of the surgery. I did not feel they were really concerned about this--as if as long as the flap is OK, nothing else really is important to them. Thankfully, after weeks of PT and I suppose, time, the pain is mostly gone. I am about 90% back to normal. At both Penn, when they removed my failed implant, and at Hopkins also, the consent for surgery was a joke. I saw it for theh first time the morning of surgery. There was never discussion of possible complications, etc. Although they still do the procedure since Flores;s departure, the new team has less experience than it did when Flores was there. As you can hear, I am angry at Hopkins. Maybe it all stems from being angry that my surgeon left in the middle. I was angry with both that he left, and the way it was handled. Are my new breasts OK? Yes, now that they are more my size (after the recent lipo they are "down" to a small D). I will probably need a small stage 3. There is a flap of skin under my left breast that bothers me when i swing my arms, and the left breast sits lower than the right...but I am thinking of seein the local plastic surgeon who drained my sermas for this rather than return to Hopkins.

Unless you absolutely can't afford it, go to NOLA.

Margit

BTW -  I have to say the nurses at Hopkins (while I was in the hospital) were great. However, during my four day stay there I saw my doctors a total of 10 minutes, if that.

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

((hugs)) Margit~ I am so sorry that you were treated so bad.  Since I used to work there and I know of their reputation I didn't go there :(.  I hope you continue to feel better everyday. 

Ignore my whinning post above.....after a good night's sleep I feel better and I will talk to NOLA about my "ledge" issue to see if it is permanent or could be fixed.   I also determined that I will not take pictures in my basement after removing my dom. outfit.  I have more lumps and bumps then I do normally....lol..... Flat lighting is not the best...lol......

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2010

I didn know if the NOLA thread really kept up with other people's surgergeris anymore since it has gotten so large, but I thought I would go ahead and post my results.  May 5, I had a stacked DIEP by Dr. Massey in Charleston on my right breast.  She calls it a "baby flap under a momma flap". The flap is about 900 grams and is absolutely beautiful!  The only problems I had after surgery was a migraine headache for about 2 days.  I am in a hotel now and am feeling great and my tummy is really flat.  I will probably go in July for a left breast lest and in September for additional lipo and a nipple?  I received excellent care from the nurses and from her and her nurse practitioner while in the hospital.  She even gives her patients her cell phone number!  I am so glad this part of the journey is over and I and ready to continue to heal.  Thanks for all your support!

Sandy B

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2010

Sandy, I'm glad things went well and that you're healing now. Sorry to hear about the migraines - I get those and I know they're awful.

Leah

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2010

Jaimie, your post was not whining at all.  We have issues that need to be addressed and that's totally expected, and if you can't talk about it here, where can you?  Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't see your post until recently.  I went and looked at the photos and from what I can see (of the nips) it looks pink under the scab and that seems normal.  Did you send photos to Dr. Sullivan's office?

Sorry about the fat injections.  I need some too and I am not really that optimistic about them.  Maybe actual fat graphs (like the flaps are) would work better than lipoed fat.  It seems to me like something should be figured out if it only works 30% of the time.

I'm sure they will 'fix' whatever you aren't happy with.  In the meantime, I think you look fantastic, and these minor (but important) issues will be resolved I'm sure.   Glad to hear you're feeling better about it today.

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

Sandy, Suzanne and KC--Thanks so much for the helpful input.

Today I did a very silly thing...had some white tissue sticking out of a tiny hole under lefty, so I thought I could "snip it off" so it didn't pull out further.  Of course, I snipped myself and bled. What was I thinking?! I'm hoping the betadine swabs will do the trick. Do I confess this to the Center, or just hope for the best for a few days (it's just a tiny little snip Undecided)?

Jaimie: Your photos on TimTam's site are great.  You look fantastic!  Very helpful to me, as my Stage 2 is in just 6 weeks (can't believe it!).  So for the plication, is the incision internal?  I'm confused about how and where this is done...is anything visible? 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Could someone PM me the address for Tim Tams site? Thanks Has anyone else had awful pain behind the belly button. Jaimie sending hugs and prayers your way. It WILL get better.

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Just wanted to report back that Celeste is going to look at them and show them to Dr. Sullivan and see what he thinks.  Not only that I got my pathology back from to lumps that I asked Dr. S to remove and they both were B-9 so I am feeling much better today.  My DH also listened to me last night about what I am upset about and validated my feeling.  He is such a great man. 

Then today I learned that I can hold my camera which makes me happy now I just need to be able to bend, squat and be able to get off the ground and I will be happy and working again.  I love my job and I miss it when I haven't worked in a while. 

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Plication was done internally but I do have a very low incision that is right over top of my bikini line. The incision doesn't bother me too much it was the stomach muscle stitching is what hurts the most. It is getting better dailey so I imagine that within the next 2 weeks it will not hurt and I can start exercising.