Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

TrainerTam - what are they going to be doing on your breasts?  I had mine reduced and lifted, which meant I had a new incision up to the nipple area of my breasts.  Given a new incision, not so sure about how a tat would do the next day.  Are you just having lipo on your breasts?  If so, no biggie.

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2010

Happy Birthday Spring - we are all indebted to you for not only starting and maintaining this thread but for all of your good wishes!

Bennetts (Sandy) - I cannot believe your day has come - we are all sending our best wishes to your for a drop dead, gorgeous result!

Glad to hear you ladies are doing so well!  Take care, Liz

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

SO, if we do a reunion in NOLA in the fall... is anyone interested in running the Jazz 1/2 marathon with me? It is the 30th of October - IF that is the time frame we might be there(?)... Just a thought.

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

oops - here is the link: www.jazzhalf.com

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

I saw my sister today,who is a nurse, and she asks me when I am going to get the stitches out on my abdomen. I thought  that my stitches would dissolve but when I look at them they look just like the ones that hold the drains. So my question is do I have my HMO dr  take them out when they are ready or what??

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2010

I'm scheduled for my CT angiogram on Thursday. What's the procedure for this scan?

Leah

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited October 2010

OK, I have to fess up, I have been reading this thread for a couple months now. Wish I had discovered it before I had my diep in October.  I live locally in the NO area.  I am scheduled for stage 2 in a couple weeks (and am very excited to finally be there).  I feel like I know all of you and you are all such great people, just wanted to introduce myself.  Nordy, when you suggested the Jazz 1/2 marathon, you got me-sounds good to me! I know I am not really part of a reunion, could I join in?

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

nmi - Welcome!  Thanks for introducing yourself.  If you've had breast cancer, you are part of the club you never wanted to join, so welcome!

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

Sally - I'd be surprised if you have to get stitches taken out, but anything is possible.  Very often, they use dissolving stitches, but they look black due to the blood caught in the glue at the time of surgery.  Would this fit what you're seeing?  Do these stitches look different than your original ones?

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

Leah, A CT is pretty straightforward.  They'll inject a dye, which makes you feel warm, and then like you're going to pee, but you won't.  You'll be on a moving table, which will be slowly moved forward through a shallow tube, which will take tons of photos.  And then you'll be done.  Some places ask you not to eat within 2 hours of the test, so you may want to ask about this.  Some people can be sensitive to the dye and may have some nausea, although I've never met anyone this was true for.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

Nordy, I'm in!!!  I've only ever done a 5K, but I will try anything once.  :)

nmi~of course you can join in!!!  

Sally~my stitches looked like fish line coming out at the ends.  After 2 weeks (I think) they told me I could pull them out a little bit and then clip them.  

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

I agree - at 2 weeks I was told I could clip off the knots of the "fishing wire".

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

Wow. I have been reading posts regularly, but miss one day and three pages get written up!

Happy Belated Birthday, Bev, and many, many more healthy ones. This thread has been the best!

It will be great seeing you again in July, Eve! We will have to get together sometime Thursday between/after our pre-ops.

It is good to get a heads up on the possibly increased pain levels for Stage 2. Forewarned prevents a lot of panic and the gumption to ask for more pain medication. Thanks so much Jaimie, Kc and everyone. I am hoping that four weeks between Stage 2 and starting classes the last week in August will be plenty of time to recover. I will have plenty of walking to do on campus (a good thing) and not much else in the way of physical exertion. 

Sally, your stitches might be different because of the difficulty you had with your first incision? Nordy would be the one to best chime in on this. Don't be afraid to call and ask one of the nurses at the center.

I pulled my last hip drain Friday night. I am still looking for them when I go to shower! So far, so good as far as no fluid build up. One more week of the dom, but do not know if I can give it up. The dog ears on my hips are pretty extreme and will probably show through most soft materials. Luckily, I have a friend with a pool who won't care about how I look in a bathing suit.

Pain-free healing, health, and happiness to everyone.

Sue

• sallym
    edited May 2010

Welcome NMI. So are we looking at the end of October for the reunion? I think it will be a blast.  The stitches look like the ones Tricia described. They are knotted. Look alot like the ones holding my drains in but nothing like my stomach incision last time, of coarse, I tried not to look at that. Tommorrow Jeanine is suppose to call me about Stage 2 so I will ask her then. I am not sure when I am going back to work. I am not sure if they are going to keep me out another 6 weeks because of the second surgery. I am still walking hunched and have 2 drains. I am getting bored though. I have cleaned closets and drawers. Today I got some flowers to pot. Any one else have a sort of boredom problem? It has only been 10 days since surgery number 2.

• Leah_S
    edited May 2010

KC, thank you. I had a CT at the time of my dx but didn't know if the CT angiogram was very different or not. I'm the type who has no problems with stuff like this if I know what to expect but stress like mad if I don't.

Leah

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2010

Thanks ladies for the drain info. I will call tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can pull one tomorrow..maybe both? one is at 20ccs for about 3 days now and the other is at 30ccs, but still kinda red. I may opt to keep it for awhile.

Did anyone else come home with their doppler wires? I can pull them, but it TOTALLY grosses me out. I got one side out, but not the other.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010

thanks for the info on stage 2- mine isnt for 2 months but I've been obsessed with the possibilities. I doubt I willll be getting plication, so hopefully im not in too much pain!

Mileha- my doppler wires came out at the post op appt and it was nothing, just felt freaking weird!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Yes, I came home with the doppler wires (not sure at the time what they were). Jeanine told me to pull them, the right one came rightout, the left one really hurt, so I left it.Later, I tried again and it tugged a bit, them popped out. I agree, kinda gross!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2010

I wish mine would have come out at post op. I think the glue wasn't ready to give..

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I've had such a fun weekend. Today we went to the Duke Gardens and it was lovely ! Hot, but lovely! 

I am SO CONFUSED by all the Sandy surgeries, I am not removing anything until someone tells me exactly what to do!!! Sandy in CA, I know you are having the "tweek" so i am not removing that. !!!  I think there was a Sandy stage 2 who wanted to be removed, Sandy2009, if you want to be removed let me know, but please be specific because I think i am losing my marbles! 

Today I was able to wear skinny shorts. he he he. I never could get into these shorts, but today, it worked! Thank you Dr. D. My whole body and shape is better. it's all worth it ladies. On days like today! :) 

True what KC says about feeling like you have to pee, but you don't! :O 

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Uh oh... so I said let's do the jazz 1/2 marathon, then realized it is Halloween weekend... which means I won't be able to leave my girls w/my in-laws - they have craziness at their place on Halloween! arggghghghghhghgh! I am trying to figure how to work it... bring my kids with me and have hubby entertain for a couple hours??? Humph.

NMI - Welcome! Wish you could have met up with us in March since you were right there in town! Maybe next time!

Spring - I do think it was Sandy in Cali that is not getting her "tweak" in May... Something about fixing the DIEP incision and waiting until fall??? Confusing? Yes! And you go girl... skinny shorts! Wink

Sally - definitely talk to the center about your sutures. I can't tell you without seeing them, and really without knowing what they used. I would not be surprised if he used a non-disolving  suture given that you opened up last time, but the only way you will know this for sure is to have the nurses check your chart and talk to your doc! Either way - you will still have knots at the ends, but one requires the thread to be removed and the other, obviously, doesn't. Let us know what they say!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

I hope the get together is Halloween! My oldest son is going to be in NOLA for one of his best friends' wedding that weekend and I will be driving out to see them. It would be amazing to see all of you, too.

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

Thanks for making me feel welcome!  Wish I would have met up with you all too! I am on the northshore, so anyone having surgery at Fairway I'd be happy to help with anything-just PM me.  But I love any excuse to go into the city!  (as long as kids and husband are taken care of).

Spring-Can you put me down for May 14 stage 2 w/Dr. S

My story of how I got here is pretty uneventful.  I was dx in sept 09.  Surgeon recommended unil mastectomy (due to multifocal idc). After researching options decided on DIEP, and lucky live in the area the the best doctors.  After fighting for a 1 1/2months with my HMO they approved my procedure!! I have been totally and completely thrilled with the results.  It doesn't even seem like I lost a breast. Got to go now.  Nancy

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Checking in from NOLA...I am FINALLY out of St. Charles I couldn't be released because of medication issues yesterday.  Today I came back and crashed for hours.  After dinner I realized that I have a full body rash that is raised which means I am having an allergic reaction to something and no one knows what it is.  I am frustrated with all of the allergies that I have developed :(.  I have 4 drains which only 1 stomach is putting out a lot the rest are barely putting any out.  I have my post-op tomorrow which I am glad to have after this reaction today. 

My bracelet on my arm is getting out of control with the amount of allergies :(  Girls look great, belly is flat, and J-lo is no longer :)  So I am guessing within the next couple of weeks I will see what I really look like now.  The pain is still there but I can handle and it is getting better each day.  So hopefully tomorrow I will be able to go down to the quarter for a bit and have some fun.  I look silly walking but I feel better the more that I move. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Spring, yes, it's me---Sandy in California---who wants to be taken off the list for May. (5/21)  I heard from Celeste today and she's going to let Jeanine know tomorrow.   I think it's the right thing to do, from all perspectives.  We got over 350 orders over the weekend and I've been printing and stapling all day today so that tomorrow morning isn't so crazy.  Leaving home for even a couple of days right now is just not a good idea.

Regarding an October reunion, the idea Eve and I had was to combine it with a fundraiser.  We were brainstorming at the airport before returning home last week, and came up with something we thought was really brilliant, but there is a lot of work to do to make it happen, IF the other people in the foundation want to do it.  Once we hear something back, we will work to choose a date and then post it.  Halloween is crazy in the FQ, and would be a great time to be there....we'll see if we can schedule something close to that date.   Eve and I went with our husbands to the House of Shock the day before Halloween last year, and it's the best haunted house I've ever been to.  It's out near Hope Lodge, and costs about $40 if you want to go to the head of the line that was hundreds of people long, even in the rain. 

Jaimie, I'm sorry that you are having yet another allergic reaction, but am glad you are out of the hospital and your pain is easing up.

Hello nmi---so jealous that you live in NOLA.  Some of us just can't get enough of it and would love to live there.  Congratulations on getting your HMO to cover your surgery.  I know of a couple of ladies who want to have surgery with Dr. D and cannot because they have HMO insurance. 

Nordy, yeah, bring your girls.  I'll babysit while you run!

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

Jaime - does Benedryl help you with rashes?  Do you have any idea what you're allergic to?  For me, it's anything in the range of an antibiotic.  I'm 100% for reacting to them.  I hope you can figure it out.  That alone can make you feel cruddy!

• sandy2009
    sandy2009 Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010

Spring...

Keep me on the list, nothing has changed with me - still having my revision this Thursday, May 6 with Dr. DellaCroce.  Thanks!   Sandy2009

Sandy

• Leah_S
    edited May 2010

kc and Spring - thanks for the warning about feeling like you have to pee but don't with the CT angio. With my bladder issues I'd be going nuts if I didn't expect it.

Nothing serious with my bladder - it's just the most active part of my system. What can I expect after 6 kids, muscles weakened on Taxol, and gettin' older (I'm 59). Wel, I want to get old - VERY VERY old.

Leah

• sallym
    edited May 2010

Nordy I too can babysity while you run. Broke my leg in 3 places about 8 years ago and have a rod and pins in it so running just isn't my thing. I will you let ya know about the stitches after I talk to Jeanine today.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Sandy: since you won't be in NOLA when I am to give me your page, do you want to send something in the mail? I was thinking it would be  nice to have you represented in the book when I present it!

Also to those trying to decide to do it now or later, it IS possible to add pictures to your page later; just leave a space on the page, when you return sometime later in the year you  can add it! You could always send it to Katie later too and have her add it to the page where you've designated a spot. Just some creative ways to incourage you to produce a page of thanks for the book nowLaughing