Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

CAT1 Hope the flood waters aren't in your area? Have you decided when you are going to have Stage 2? I am to talk to Jeanine about it today. Hope all is well and thinking of ya on the first day back at work

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010

Called NOLA today to check on Nip tattoos at the second stage since I dont want nipple reconstruction. Celeste said that I couldnt have it done at stage 2 because they will be working on the breasts and they want them to settle before tats.

WHich I understand but I cant find a good tattoo artist in my area and i dont want to have to go back to NOLA for just tattoos.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010
    Melinda413: who did you speak to? I am scheduled for the very next day at NOLA May 26 and then tats on May 27.  I'm going to call them and ask again, now you've got me worried. they even called me yesterday to talk about Paying for them!! Glad you posted, I'll let you know what I learn.
  • Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2010

Melinda, if you PM Facecrafter, shel'll let you know if there's someone in your area who does the tattoos.

Leah

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010

trainertam: I spoke to Celeste just a few hours ago about it! Maybe it's the difference in our surgeries? I need to have some evening out of the breasts since one is a bit larger and she said they would be doing a lift? I dont really even know everything I will be doing to be honest. Keep me posted, worse comes to worse I'll wait until after you have yours done and call and see if I can too :)

Leah- thanks!! thats very helpful.

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

I bit the bullet and posted my before and after pics on Timtam's site. I feel like a cautionary tale for letting my eating run out of control. That and having my exercise level drop by 70% during four months of chemo. Three months until Stage 2 and the goal of giving Dr. S a lot less with which to work!

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2010

Can someone PM the tintam site? I have access, but can't find the website.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

Sue!  I have my before and afters on there too...and boy, I felt like you did when I saw just how out of shape I was and how much weight I had gained. It's big time motivation to change your lifestyle!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Hi ladies :). Dr S thinks my reaction is to the antibiotic so I am off of them and I declined a steriod shot. He thought it was hilarious that I get mean with the steriods. I had 3 drains removed and I told him that my left belly drain had way too much to pull.

After the appt we went to the quarters and I didn't realize how done I was so we are still slowly going back to the lodge. I will be sleeping tonight. Tomorrow we head home and it was almost bittersweet leaving the center today. I am undecided if I am gpoing back for tatoo's or what are plan is for now I go home happy and in some pain.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited May 2010

Ok Ladies here is the latest on me!!!

The cancer has stablized and I will not be having radiation now.  I will come back in Aug for retesting and have another look.  My Doc feels like the Aromasin and Zometa are working and she wants to give it more time.  Boy am I excited!!!  I'm going home!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

((((((Bettye))))))) Thanks for letting us know, especially such wonderful news!

Trishia, your extra pounds looked way better on you! You are my inspiration. Age, wear and tear is a factor in how I will look, but no excuse for not getting fit.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2010

Bettye, I'm so glad to hear your news!

Leah

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Bettye!!!! Whoop-Whoop!!! I am so THRILLED  to hear your news!!! YAY!!!!!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Okay Betty I am sooooo excited for you!!!

• Trishia
    edited May 2010

Bettye!  YAYAYAYAYAY!!!  So glad to read your good news!

Sue~thanks for the compliment! But are you sure that you are remembering my befores?  LOL! 

Jamieh~I think you should schedule tattoos when we do our get together this fall! 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Bettye - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Jaimie - Glad you'll be getting a good night's sleep tonite!

Yeast Infection - Why are you back?! You will soon be sent packing - Monistat combined with Acidopholous this time!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

BettyE - I am SOOO glad for you to have good news!  

Jaimeh - I get nasty on steroids, too.  NOT a good combo!  Enough said. 

Minn - I've had very good success with a 2 week Candida cleanse after antibiotics, as well as acidophilus.  Candida can impact our whole body, so it's worth really getting rid of it, if possible.  My fav is called Candigone and is not laxative.  Health food store. 

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

kc - thank you! i will definitely look into that. i am awake now at 10 to 3. can't sleep due to this awful itching, which neither monistat nor vagisil is alleviating adequately. and now my heartburn has kicked in again! tomorrow i will be exhausted! my drain is now at 23 - if it would just get to 20, i could get off these awful antibiotics!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

BettyE... Great news!! Smile

Has anyone had a hysterectomy at the Center at the same time as their Stage 2? I had an ooph in August but considering parting ways with the uterus if it's an easy deal and they can do it at the same time.... I emailed Jeanine... she is checking to see if it's possible...

I picked up 7 lbs since Stage 1 and Stage 2 is May 21... yikes... (I think I have been subconsciously trying to fill in my own butt dents)....question is... should I work hard to get it back off before I go down there.. or just keep it for extra material for Dr. D to work with... your thoughts? 

Fast healing everybody!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2010

Holtbolt,

It never hurts to start getting in shape NOW, because once you get that gift of lipo, you're going to be so motivated to keep the fat off. But I wouldn't stress too much about the extra pounds now. Dr. D will be generous, I'm sure, with the lipo wand. The tough thing to know is how much of those extra pounds are external as opposed to visceral--visceral weight is lipo-proof.

Bettye, I'm thrilled for you! I know you are so relieved to be getting a good response right now!

Anne

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Trainer Tam - Okay, I'm on track to finish a scrapbook page.

Wow - I just spent what felt like DAYS wandering up and down the scrapbooking aisles at Crafts Direct. I can see how some of you gals really get into this! One thing I remembered from last time I did this, which I thought I'd pass along, is that I thought - what if this thing gets lost in the mail, after all this work?!  - so I made a color copy of the page at Kinko, just in case. Of course it didn't get lost, but it was nice extra insurance, and it's been fun to have my own copy of my artistic endeavor!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Bettye!!!! Hurray!!!

Trishia - never mind that I have never run 13 miles either - the most was 6 and it has atleast been 20 years since I did that! BUT, the half marathon is open to walkers too - and the course stays open for 4 hours. I hope by then to be running and able to complete it in less than 4 hours, but it is nice to know that I don't have to run! 

Okay, so if we do want to do it the end of October - I will have to bring my girls. My hubby just said he will just bring them to the finish a little later, even though this is something he wanted to do as well - he is willing to just let me do it! He just finished his first Ironman on Saturday in St. George (the very last finisher on the clock - with a whole 2 and 1/2 minutes to spare... Laughing) so he is pretty proud of himself right now... and so am I - but I think he is not too upset about not being able to run the 1/2 marathon - at least for right now!

Minnesota - I have found that for persistant yeast infections the 1 night and 3 night OTC stuff just doesn't cut it. When the infection is really bad, I always resort to the Monistat 7 in the cream form (and yes, that particular brand). For whatever reason the consistant daily medication in the cream form (which I think gets in all the cracks and crevices... LOL) works the best. I always think I can get away with the one shot deal... and it always backfires with me headed back to the store for the 7 day stuff. And a diet with lots of yogurt works wonders to help that along the way. Good luck... those are the worst.

Okay, waiting on one thing to take a pic for my page... then just have to put it all together! If worse comes to worse I may have to overnight it to you Tam!

• Trishia
    edited May 2010

Okay...so for my page, I have a 'peekaboo' before and after section.  So they can lift a flap and see the results from before, stage 1, stage 2 and then done.  I'm trying to figure out how to put it in a page protector and have them be able to lift it.  Like I said, I am not the craftiest of peeps!

Nordy~good to know!  If it was a 4 hour dance competition..NO PROBLEM!  But running isn't my strongest suit.  Although I do it...because my motto is 'ALL THE SKINNY BITCHES RUN!"...LOL!  Whenever I start slacking my trianer will yell that at me! 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

All the Skinny Bitches Run... LOL LOL 

Anne.. thanks ... I am going to try and get back to my normal weight in 2 weeks... recovering from surgery means eating comfort foods for me and so that's what I did apparently... I think I should be able to lose it... or most of it by 5/21....

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

BettE, Congratulations!!

Jamieh-Glad you are feeling better and I do not do well on steroids either!

Sandy- Yes, New Orleans is a wonderful city. Before I got married and had kids, I worked at Baptist Hospital (pre-ochsner days) and lived on Napoleon Ave-used to walk to work. Then I worked for Hibernia Bank downtown and took the streetcar everyday-loved it! I could walk or bike  to Audobon Park and just enjoy the day. Whenever we go in the city it reminds me how much I miss it. (On my insurance-it wasn't easy! but that's a story for another day)

Trisha and Nordy-I have never done 1/2 either and it's been 15 years since I've done a 10K, but it sounds like so much fun!

Thanks everyone!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2010

This link has a good explanation of visceral fat and how to measure for it:

http://www.healthbulletin.org/weight_loss/weight29.htm

Anne

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

Thanks AnneW

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Thanks for that info Anne.  I am constantly amazed here.  Not only do we have the prettiest cancer survivors here, with the most beautiful "girls", but also the smartest cancer survivors!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2010

Bettye, that's GREAT news!!!  So happy for you!!!

Sounds like everyone is doing well...that's great!

Another question for those who have had 'lifts' at stage 2.  What is the recovery like from that?  Are you very sore/bruised afterwards?  Also, has anyone had nip sparing?  Just wondering about how that works with the lift.

For the lifts, do people request shapes and how high and placement and all that, or do you just leave it up to the doc? 

Thanks for any advice....

Suzanne

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Stage 2 - HellofromCT - I had nipple sparing for Stage 1 and a reduction/lift for Stage 2.  The breast lift is no big deal at all, since it's in an area which was numb to begin with. If that was the only thing I had done, I don't think I'd have even noticed since there is no pain there.  After my lift I was stunned at how really weird my nipples looked, totally sticking out, encircled in stitches and glue.  They've loosened up, and I'm told they'll spread out a bit once the glue comes off next week.

The reduction scar is pretty sore, since it's at the base of my breasts and in an area which still has lots of sensation, so I am noticing it, but it's quite manageable.  I'm 2 weeks out and was off pain meds at one week.  I'm no hero, and I don't give up pain meds any too early.  I just did not need them anymore.

For shape, I only went as far as to request sizing.  I did not specifically discuss shape with him. He went with my natural lines. 

As far as nipple placement goes, Dr S lifted the nipple/areola just a teeny bit higher than I'd have chosen, but the last couple days they have dropped noticeably and are lower than I'd have chosen, but breasts still look extremely nice.  So, for me, it didn't matter that I had anything to say about my nipple placement.  These guys have very good eyes.  If you look at their website's photos, what do you think about the nipple placements you see there?

Regarding bruising - I was very black and blue in more places than I expected. It was hard to look at at first. It's mostly gone now, though.  I looked way, way worse than I felt.