Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Christy~ Is your nipple still shrinking ???

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

Went for pre-op yesterday. The main thing I remember is stage 2 "no drains" for me Yeah!!! Then my 14 yr old son came home from school sick, said he felt like he was going to throw up (he feel asleep on the bus and missed his stop). I felt bad for him, but I wanted to say "just stay away from me", I don;t want to get sick now!

Jinger-talk about doing something you shouldn't have done "snip". When I was in the hospital for Stage 1,maybe day 2 or 3, and I had been watching the nurses strip the tubes to the drains, I decided to do it myself. Except, I did it the wrong way and pushed the blood back into my body, instead of into the drain. I was so scared!! Moritified. I was afraid I ruined my flap, but afraid to tell anyone. I worried for days. Everything was fine, never did tell anyone-I think it was the drugs!!!I I should never be left alone.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2010
    Jamie...It has shrunk down to about the size of my healthy breast nipple on the other side (when hard)
  • Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010
    Okay, I really have to put in my two cents about Dr. S here... I think he is THE best! LOL... And I am going to tell you why. So... initially when my nips were done, they were... let's just say a bit off. When I went in for my post op appt. and showed Dr. S, he said, "Well, crap." LOL... Then he asked when we were leaving and I said in the morning, but if he needed us to, we could stay. He suggested that we do that and he would fix it the next day and pay the difference in our airfare. I said, "Great, let me just call and confirm with my sister-in-law as she is taking care of my kids." He just looked at me and said, "You have kids at home. How do you feel about doing it in the office today, so that you can get home to your kids? It may be a bit more painful because I will have to numb you up." I said I had had pain before so what is a little more, and if he was willing, I would be willing. And so, he fixed the nip in his office... this is with a 5:15 PM post op appt... after all his other appts and after he had been in surgery most of the day. He is my hero. AND there is MY vote for the BEST. Wink
  • Nordy
    edited May 2010

PS... my Right nipple has shrunk a TON... but it started a bit smaller.. my left one still looks great. Hoping the tats make things look a bit bigger than they are!

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

NMI: I did that too, once I returned home and wasn't paying enough attention...stripping my drain the wrong way.  I had that moment of panic, and then thought, "Well, it is what it is at this point...wonder what will happen?"  Nothing happened, thank goodness.  Good luck on Stage 2 here in a couple days!

Tammy: Sent my scrapbook pages to you today.  I just left a blank picture spot for later, when I'm "looking my best" (aka, without the watermelons I currently have for breasts!!!)  

Drain Girls: My heart goes out to you having drains for so long! My last ab drain was out at 2 1/2 weeks and I thought THAT was bad...hated them, and they hurt.  I will keep "no juiciness" thoughts out there for each of you!

've decided when I go in for Stage 2 I'm going to take Dr. D an orange that says "This" and a (large) cantelope that says "Not This" and tell him to be sure to reference them in the OR. (I was quite surprised at the magnitude after Stage 1!)  I hope he laughs!  Or, maybe it should be a grapefruit...orange too small??? 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Margit, we pull our own drains!! ha!!! I have had so many friggin drains, for my stage 2, I did it myself. 

Minn, I knew a GAP lady who kept her drains for 9 or 10 weeks. So NO.

SallyM - I added your details to the listing above.

Tammy, depends on what you have done for stage 2, but some women have NO DRAINS for stage 2! In any case, it should be shorter, unless you do plication or lower your abdominal scar (I did both). But my butt drains dried up in a matter of days, and many don't need any drains.

My take!  

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

Jinger-Glad I'm not alone, makes me feel better!

I like you orange/cantelope imagery for Stage 2.

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010

I got my stuff in the mail today for my stage 2 appt's. I can't believe I still have 2 MONTHS to wait for that. Now that I am feeling 98% better all I can think of is stage 2 and how much better I will look then.

I'm having serious issues with regular pants. None of them fit like they used to due tomy tummy being totally different. All of the crotches hang way down and looks so weird. But I am vowing to NOT buy new pants until after stage 2. THe bad thing is that I am going to Washington DC in 2 weeks for Breast cancer advocacy training through NBCC and will have to go to Congress. Umm I have nothing to wear!! What did other people do during this in between stage??

Oh and Ihave to weight in and say Dr S is THE BEST lol. He was so amazing with everything. But then again Dr Trahan was amazing when I talked to him after hours about 5 times. Dr D was pretty awesome in the hospital too :)

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

There should only be amazing doctors for such an amazing bunch of women, right??

Ok, with everyone telling their little "screw-ups" - snips and drains being stripped the wrong way.  I actually pushed one of my drains back in that was coming out way too early.....never did admit that one to the docs! lol...Well, at least not till now...think they read here too??

For those with problems, hang in there!  For those coming up, you are in the best of hands.  For the rest of us, we have the privledge of knowing we are in the absolute best of company here!

I am going to try to get my page done this weekend, god willing and the creek don't rise!  between going back to work, and these weekly chemos, i am running in slow mo here.  Anyway, heres to the best - in both drs and patients! Wink

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2010

Sounds like your in good hands which ever doc you pick!! In fact, Liz wanted me to choose and my response was that I'd heard they were both good! So, I picked Dr D but could have just as well picked DR S. Since that time, I listened to the YS conference link that someone posted here with Dr D and it was good to be able to put a voice with a face. Can't wait to meet him....

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2010

Just read through my surgery instructions as far as dates and labs. I am sceduled for 7:00AM, Aug 3rd, so bright and early. Suppose to be there at 5:00AM.

Anyway, did you have all your tests done locally? Blood work and CT scans? If so, did you have a local doctor that arranged it or just called the hospital with the paper work from NOLA and schedule it that way. Also, it said copies of breast MRI,ultrasound and mammogram, but have to be within 6 months. So, I had all 3 in Jan. The MRI and ultrasound said if applicaple, so doesn't sound like they need to be repeated. But does that mean repeat mammogram?

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

NMI & Jinger & Gin - Okay, I have to admit I laughed. I can just so easily imagine doing these things! Me, the gal who drops her pants!

Spring - OMG! Nine weeks! Well better that than ass-piration!

Melinda - A skirt?

Nordy - That's an amazing story about Dr. Sullivan, I have to admit! He is a great guy, no doubt about it!

(Ladybug - Dr. D is really the best)

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2010
    Nordy...That is great and yes, Dr S ROCKS!! And so does Dr D!!
  • Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

Dr. S is the best!!!!  I am going to leg wrestle Eve over it!!!

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

LOL... The "best doctor" debate could go on and on... LOL.. I do have to admit, Dr. D was great when I saw him in the hospital, and yes, I have had to speak to Dr. T after hours twice after my stage 1 and he was just as great. Really, there is no losing here... But as much as I like and appreciate the others, Dr. S is still tops in my book. Smile And maybe you guys can leg wrestle about it in October?

Trishia - have you heard back from my doc's yet???

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Margit - So sorry to hear about your experience. When I consulted in Baltimore w/Dr. Flores, I had just come from PRMA in Texas for a consult. They are a private practice and I really felt like a patient/person. Then I went to Hopkins... and felt like a patient/number... one of the reasons I did not go there, although I really did like Dr. Flores... but that was just one reason out of a few. I really do think it is so hard on the patient when the doctor leaves and you are left in their partners' hands... So, I completely empathize with you, and I do hope that you are feeling well and your recovery is going smoothly.

• Trishia
    edited May 2010

Nope Nordy.  It's been a week and 2 voicemails.  I will call again tomorrow when I get off work.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2010

LOL Nordy and Trishia.  Dr. D is my primary, but judging from the results I've seen, they are both awesome.   Did everyone "choose" their primary, and if so, why did you choose your doc?  I chose Dr. D because at the time his was the name I was hearing most.  When I first spoke with Liz on the phone, I told her either one was fine with me and I'm sure I would have been just as happy with Dr. S.

Speaking of drains...anybody know what my chances are of having drains with a breast lift and a ab incision lowering (no plication)?

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Okay you need to tape the wrestling match ...lol....

So after two days of no bra my ledge is almost gone so I think it is the bra that is making the ledge stand out. So if I could only sleep I would be a happy, happy camper.. ;). Tonight will be a drug intervention because I need some sleep ;). Oh I am also excited because 6 more days in the dom. And then I can try without it :). I am itchy from it.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

CT- I had both breasts lifted and reduced at Stage 2 - no drains.  I did need an abdominal repair, which was very unusual, and it resulted in a very tiny drain for a week. I don't know about the abdominal situation for your procedure.

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

Jamie, ditch the bra! 

Trisha, I second what Jamie said, if you and Eve are leg "wrasslin'" we want a tape of it! :) 

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

We can send the tape to Dr. D and Dr. S and let them know that they caused it...lol....

Spring I would ditch the bra but I have my cones on still so I am in disguse.......lol....

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Hey, if I'm to duel over this issue, I should have a say in what the weapons will be - Trishia has mentioned boxing and leg wrestling. I might choose more of an intellectual tete-a-tete!

So I got the go-ahead from Jeanine to pull the last drain! So tonite I will have my husband do it! Gee, I hope I will need no ass-pirations! I am going to put extra padding back there by the shark bite, so there will be more compression. I remembered that we did this last time when I had a little bit of fluid build-up just below my breasts, in the middle (where the dom outfit doesn't quite reach). Theoretically, this can help squeeze that danged cavity shut more...

Oh - and Spring, if you could copy and paste me:

October 29 - Minnesota - Nipple augmentation with Dr. D. (if needed, to get Sandy's nipples), NOLA

• Trishia
    edited May 2010

I'm up for an intellectual tete-a-tete anytime!  Well, as long as it isn't calculus or geometry.   It wouldn't be near as much fun to watch or video though.  How about a dance off!!  We can shimmy our fabulous breasts around like wild women!  YAY!!

Hoping for no ass*piration for you too! 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2010

Coming out of lurkdom to say you ladies are HILARIOUS! I vote for the dance off:)

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Trishia & Eve~ Hmmmmm, since we are going to have this 'who's the best Doc' contest in NOLA - perhaps  you could face off on Bourbon Street and have a 'flash off'.........she who receives the most beads wins???? Laughing Or, as Eve suggested in April.....we could all head down to Bourbon Street and do a giant 'Flash the boobs' wave!!! Now that would be a good video!!!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

No pages in the mail today, maybe tomorrow!

Holtbolt: I have a feeling you are leaving NOLA on Monday 5/24 when I am arriving!!

I have one more week of work then I am off for a week for the surgery, this means another week of trying to find "professional" attire. AAGGHH. I wish it were here already. I have lived in "Limbo" clothes for 2 months. Can't wait to be "re-born" in New Orleans!

• Springtime
    edited May 2010

OOoooo, I like the "Flash Off". The girl with the most beads wins! And no fair using LouAnn's plastic set! 

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

I like the flash off can I be the official photograher....lol...  BTW, who may add another set in for Dr. S :)