Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Jaimie - you won't need to twist my arm to add my set!!!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Unbelievable!  Of all the dates for Minn to be booked for nip augmentation, 10/29 is selected!  Well, Spring, PLEASE put a remark next to my surgery (which had better be after Minn's just to be safe) that I am not donating any nip!  Okay, JK, but what a strange coincidence that we are having this done on the same day.  LOL  Don't they realize that having both of us at SCSH at the same time could result in the entire hospital being awake all night?

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Ladies - I am not convinced that the guys hanging out on the balconies of Bourbon Street are necessarily the best judges of who has the most masterfully created breasts. My guess is that, for them, bigger is better. Period. Now my first breast - as some of you have heard me say before - I believe to be the most expensive, per ounce, in the world. With my second new breast, this may lower the cost per ounce somewhat, since it is only one flap vs. the two that were used in the first. The other variable in my calculation, beyond surgical time and money spent, is the resulting volume of the breast. Hence, my supposition that my one or two breasts are the most expensive in the world. I hate to brag about this - no, actually, I brag about it every chance I get. But my point is that, on Bourbon, quantity may win out over quality and value. So what size are your girls, anyway, Trishia?

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Sandy! LOLLLLLLLLLL! Honest to God, I did not request that date! It was offered to me by Jeanine after I asked for something around the time of Halloween, just in case I need some extra work done to approximate your magnificent nipples. I think it's fate. And BTW, my appointment is at 9 a.m. Is yours before that or after?! If before, watch out! You'll be faaaaaast asleep!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

So, Minn, are you implying that because they are the most expensive, that they are the best?  I think that we all have pretty pricey boobies.  Mine cost about the same amount as my house.  And they are worth every penny!!  And while mine may be bigger (they are a C+/D...I had WAY more fat to work with), you have the advantage of having one done immediately..so less scarring.   I also keloid, which has nothing to do with my fine Dr.'s skill....just another byproduct of my altered and mutated genetics.  On the plus side...party goers on Bourbon Street are usually extremely intoxicated, so I probably could convince them that the scars are really cool tattoos!!!  

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Trishia - No, I am not saying, definitively, that the most expensive, per ounce, is always the best - tho I think we would all agree that, say, in the case of gold, it IS used as a measure of value. And I believe that my breasts are worth more than their weight in gold.... And actually, my breasts are worth more than my house. In fact, the one breast, alone, is worth more than my house! PPPLLLBBTTT!!!!!! I was just trying to make a point - well actually I was just using it as an excuse to brag about my breast value again, because I like to do that so much! So I figured that the chances were good that you have the bigger breasts, so would do better on Bourbon, regardless of any other factors, including how skillfully our breasts may have been shaped by our respective surgeons.

As to intoxication of men on Bourbon, I think I would have to be quite intoxicated to have this breast duel, were I to agree to it. How, then, would I be able to gather up all those beads they would be throwing to me? I might lose, merely because I couldn't see well enough to pick them all up to be counted. And another condition I would require, were I to agree to this duel, would be that we wear masks, as that would allow me another level of comfort, in addition to the liquor. Also, no one could see if you were younger than I am - tho they would be unlikely to be looking at our faces, and all of us here have breasts like 18-year-olds... What say you, so far? (And if you agree to these conditions, do not take this as any contractual obligation on my part - I'm just exploring the possibilities.)

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Well, there is definitely a disadvantage to living in paradise with regard to this discussion!  Maybe I can turn this around somehow.....  I guess I would have to say that while my breasts did not cost nearly as much as a house in So. California, to me they are worth far more than my house!  And that means they are worth far more than yours, Minnesota.  Despite the fact that they are larger than yours, with the staggering cost of real estate here, that makes mine the most valuable per ounce in the world!   PPPLLLBBTTT!!!!!!  Especially since the best doctor in the world made them zoomin'!

My surgery is at 7 a.m.  We'll just see if you get to start at 9!  PPPLLLBBTTT!!!!!!

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Well maybe my breasts are worth more to me than 6 of my houses! That would probably bring them up to the price of your California house, now, wouldn't it! And yes, yours are larger. MIne are more petite. More demure. Less flash - More class. Just you wait until my nipples zoom as much (or more even) than yours, missy! But it goes without saying, tho I'll say it anyway, you can be sure that both of us will have zoomier nipples than the ones made by that other surgeon...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2010

I think a Bourbon Street Dance Off would be a great way to raise money for the Foundation! Vote for your favorite doc and favorite dancer, and whoever raises the most $$ wins!

Anne

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

lol you guys are crazy....  maybe you could make pasties with Team D or Team S on them ... just so it's easy to keep track... lol

So.... next week is my Stage 2... Sandy/Minnesota... am I supposed to be asking for a certain type of nipple? 

Tammy.... yes, we fly home on 5/24 after my post op with Dr. D... sorry to miss you this time around... trying to mail my page today :) 

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

Ah yes...I can see the banner now. "Battle of the Boobies! Get Ready to Rumble!" Or would that be more accurately "The Fight for the most Fabulous Foobies?"

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Hi All, I have a question. How long does it take for someone to call and schedule surgery? I spoke to Liz over a week ago and she said someone will call to schedule...How do I know what Dr I will be given? Well off to work

Have a good day,

Lynn

• sueinfl
    edited May 2010

Lynn, I am sorry for your frustrating wait. I went through the same thing. It took over three weeks before Liz got a hold of me and the surgery scheduled. I was assigned to Dr. S. Since I have heard nothing but wonderful things about both of them, I didn't care who my surgeon was.

The only thing that might have held up my talk with Liz was my not insuring that my onc's office forwarded all of my records to them. Make sure your records have been received. Katie should be able to help you with finding that out.

Hang in there...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Lynn, you can call back, and send emails. Just sayin'! 

I am now wondering if I should go down around Halloween for my tatt's and surgical tweeks???

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Okay,

Liz sent me an e-mail and I am scheduled for 07/29/10 for bi lateral hip free flap... I am so nervous.... I was going to see if we can stay at Hope Lodge...Where did everyone else stay? I am open to staying in a hotel if that is the best thing to do.. I have never been to NOLA and I only know I want to go on a swamp tour while I am there.....I am going to fly there a few days before because I know I won't be in any shape after surgery.

Thanks for all of your help

Lynn

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

Does anyone have Tammy's last name?  I am heading to the post office in about 45 minutes to mail off my scrapbook page!!  I have her addy, but not her last name.

Minn~I will give you my thoughts on nipples, masks, drinking excessively and whatnot tomorrow!  I've been at work and have a vendor event until 10 pm tonight.  

Sheridangirl~YAY!  Congrats!!!  I stayed at the Avenue Plaza Resort about 4 blocks from the Center.  I loved it.  

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010

Lynn,

Your surgery is the day before mine! Yeah, I'll get to meet you! Lots of the gals stay at Hope Lodge and really like it. They'll chime in. There's no best thing to do - it just depends on your preferences. I've always stayed in the French Quarter, just because I love it and there's so much to see and do there. I think you'd need a taxi to get in there from Hope Lodge - but that's not that big a deal. I liked being in the Quarter, tho, when recovering from stage 1 (I've had two of those, now), so it was easy to just get out and walk around as little or as much as I felt like, and then get back to lie down when I needed to. Also, it felt like I was on vacation, even when I wasn't always feeling the greatest. Everyone has their favorite hotels, too. I always have loved the Place d'Armes and the Monteleone - both really have the New Orleans flavor - the latter is very grand, and the former is smaller - a "boutique" hotel, with incredibly gorgeous courtyards and free continental breakfast - just always be sure they don't give you one of their rooms without a window... Rates in the summer are really cheap. You can get special deals thru the Center, too - check out their "local accomodations" page, and visit the hotel websites to see what appeals to you. I think that you'll fall in love with New Orleans, like so many of us have!

Eve

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

trishia - just sent you a PM for tammy's last name.....

• Minnesota
    edited May 2010
    Trishia -

Severin

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010

Wow..... Am I ever behind in my reading!!!!   I'm voting for the dance off / bead collection in the French Quarter and I can't wait to see Minnesota and SandyInParadise!  

Hey Springtime, I think the end of October is a great time for some nip tweaks and tatts?   Shall we make it a REAL party????

Thanks all for being here.  

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2010

Congratulations on scheduling Sheridangirl!

Does anyone know if there is a grocery store (for food shopping) around the French Quarter anywhere?

Sally (the nurse?) called me today. She wanted to take some history and tell me what to expect for the CTA. She was great. I leave for NOLA exactly one month from today! I'd better get started with those meditations you suggested Jinger! Or should I use Spring's? ; )

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Lynn I added you to the list! 

So BCDiva, are you game for the end of Oct? I am thinking, I have to do it sometime. But Sandy and Eve may have Dr. D all booked up already. Though these should be small tweaks, maybe he can do a slew in a row...  

I am still thinking about it.  

For those having surgery, BRING constipation stuff!!!!! Mirilax, Fleet suppositories, etc!!! 

NMI has surgery tomorrow with Dr. S! Good Luck!  

• sueinfl
    edited May 2010

Congrats, Lynn! I stayed at the Hope Lodge during my Stage 1. I was by myself until the day I was discharged so I really appreciated that I could leave my stuff in my Lodge room during my time in the hospital. (My insurance required that I have my surgery at Fairway.) Money is tight so I cannot tell you how wonderful being able to stay for free was during a ten day "visit."

My room was clean with two beds and a recliner where I spent my time sleeping. The bathroom was huge with plenty of room for a chair for me to sit on while drying off and stripping drains. There are free washers and dryers on each floor along with free detergent. If there was a downside, it was the no food in the rooms rule. Understandable and it insured I got off my backside several times a day. (I was definitely not up to enjoying the sites after my surgery except from the back seat of one of the limos.)

There was a very reasonable sushi place that delivered great meals to the Lodge. I am looking forward to ordering from it again. There is a huge kitchen with designated refer and cabinet space for food you can bring with you. There are free washers and dryers on each floor with free detergent. Everyone I met there was nice as can be.

I will be there Wednesday night, July 29, until Aug. 2. My surgery is Friday morning at 7.  I hope to see you at the Lodge Wednesday night if you decide to stay there. I wil try and look in on you Thursday night.

Eve, I hope we can meet for lunch or dinner Thursday. My pre-op is at 3pm that afternoon. And maybe Sat. or Sun.? I hope to see Alaina, too.

• sueinfl
    edited May 2010

Wishing you a painless, beautiful surgery and recovery, Nmi!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2010

NMI, best of luck with your surgery!

Leah

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Thinking of you NMI. Sending prayers your way.

As far as staying at the Hope Lodge it really is very nice. There are 2 diner/cafe nearby that I walked to while down there. The only downfall is the no food in your room but it does make you get up and around.The staff are really nice and it is very quiet.Katie can refer you to there and they also have a web site if you want to check it out

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

Laughlines: I got most of my meditations off iTunes; if you want the details I'm happy to pass it along!  We may overlap during our June surgeries-I arrive in NOLA on June 22 and leave on June 29. We need to make sure to get together if possible!  Also, regarding grocery stores, I never could find one in the French Quarter myself.  Although, there is a Whole Foods not too far from the Center (I think my husband went by streetcar and then took a taxi back to the hotel with the food).  I stayed at the Ritz and they were happy to give me a refrigerator in my room.

All: Anyone have any experience with a flattening nipple?  I had nipple-sparing DIEP 6 weeks ago and one nipple has been flattening (until it's really almost indented a little bit).  I also have some hard wedge-shaped places on the same breast (they're internal, from the outer edge, from about half way from outer edge then narrowing in to under the aereola), and the last bit of scab just came off today.  Maybe it's all just from lasting swelling? 

Thanks all!  I've gotten so much info from this thread, and look forward to checking it each day. You are such admirable and beautiful women.  Thank you for letting this BRCA1/non-cancer patient jump in. Smile

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Leg Wrestling, Intellectual Duels, Flash-offs, Dance-offs... Hmmmm... this all sounds like a LOT of fun. My vote is to let the two of you get intoxicated, wear masks and duel! LOL...

BCDiva, DO, DO, DO come to NOLA for Halloween. Hubby and I will be there w/the girls. I think I am done w/surgery and probably having tats at home, but we are going for fun and doing a half marathon while there (at least I am, hubby will be busy w/the girls at the hotel!). Would love to see you and your hubby again!!! Hope you are doing GREAT!

NMI - Good luck to you tomorrow, you are in the best of hands!

Hmmm... Laughlines, feel like bringing your hubby and the little one to Nola for Halloween? Just a thought... 

Lovely to see all of you!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2010
    Thanks ladies for all the info and ideas!! I made my appt for stage 1 October 6th. I don't remember off the top of my head which doctor Liz said I would have. From everything I've read on this thread you can't go wrong at NOLA, period! I'm excited, nervous, scared, anxious and everything in between! I would love to stay in closer to the sites but as for now $ is a factor, and not knowing how much I'd be up for doing I think I'll stick with the Hope Lodge the first time around. I did discover that the ACS will pay for my airfare and my Mom's (my caregiver)!! That's a huge relief! So as long as nothing comes up between now and then my new boobs are just around the corner!
  • BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010

Nordy - I would love to see you and your hubby again and I am very seriously thinking about October.   Hurricane season is about over by then, isn't it?   I will have to call The Center and talk to them.    My left (non-radiated side) breast is still larger than the right and the right is higher.   I had jokingly named them "High" and "Mighty" and it turned out to be a self fullfilling prophecy!   My nips have shrunk considerably and seem really soft.... no projection at all.   I'm hoping a little fat injection or something will perk them up!

Springtime -- I think we need to do this!    I would love to see you and hubby again as well!