Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2010

I'm not sure why that posted in italics. haha!

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

Thanks everyone for all sending me good wishes yesterday. All went well of course and I must say they are BEAUTIFUL-exceeding my expectations!  Can't wait to show off my new babies! Just a little sore and I do have 1 drain.

I need to vent (although this is such a fun thread, maybe some of you have experience people like this). Thursday, my mother, who is 84, did not remember I told her I was having surgery. When I told her what it was for, to complete my reconstruction, she makes this disapproving face. It makes me so sad. I said I know you don't approve, but it's something I want, and I am able to have and will do.  She was fine and pleasant after that.

The history is my mother had BC when she was 38, 4 little kids, and never had reconstruction.  She did not have to option of reconst and the time, but could have later. Choose not to.  In her way of thinking I am 54 yrs old, married, why do I need to do all this. 

I tell myself that's her and this is me, It just makes me sad that my own mother can't be truly happy for me. She would think she would be please with the options available to women today. Isn't is incredible!

Guess it's just a different generation.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

NMI, sorry, it is hard not to get the support you want. Sheesh. But you are doing this for you, and you will not be sorry!! She will either come around or not. Several similar stories here on this board, you are not alone...

Ginnie SHEESH!! Your poor body! Healing vibes TO YOU!!!

DITTO...What Trisha said about the "fishing line" stitches. Pull up as far as you can, snip close to skin, rest should go back under your skin, and Viola! YOu feel better!!! I had some in spots about to drive me batz!!!! 

Melinda, do you think the pain is because you feel better and are doing more stuff? Best to call to be on the safe side.... 

• camiam
    edited May 2010

Aw, NMI, that makes me sad. Sad for her. I bet she is sad because she wasn't able to do that...but I'm glad she ended up being pleasant. Be happy for yourself, I know it's hard when your own mom seems to disapprove, but you did the right thing for you! :) Glad it all went well and that you're doing so well. 

• camiam
    edited May 2010

Thanks for the help with the stitch issue. Getting my nerve up to do it tonight. I'll report back after I do it. xoxo to all on this thread.
  • sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

Cam, I had the same problem with the stitches on the top of each foobie. I asked the local PS to snip them because it stung so much when I pulled on them. It stung just as much when he pulled on them, but at least he could see what he was doing. Don't ask me why I was such wimp about them, but had no problem pulling my own drains.

You might try some topical anesthesia like Band-Aid Antibacterial wash or neosporin on them a few minutes before hand. It really only stung for a few seconds and then was fine. Can your hubby do it for you? Much easier if you can see what's going on. 

I am ready to walk when you are. The temps are rising so the earlier in the day, the better. 

Gin, healing hugs to you. I was so lucky to get chemo over with first. You are doing great under the circumstances and I hope you don't have to keep delaying.

Melinda, good luck on the last of your breathing problems. I hope it clears up fast. 

Nmi, congrats on the beautiful new girls and I am glad you have us for support and understanding until your Mom can recognize your happiness over this.

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2010

Springtime, Had my DIEP in Charleston on May 5 and I have to tell you BACKMAX has been a lifesaver!  It has been wonderful for sleeping at night.  Dr. Massey did wonderful work...a stacked unilateral DIEP to my Right breast (She said she used a baby flap on bottom and a momma flap on top!).  My tummy is SOOOOO flat!  I currently am taking no pain pills but am having trouble with pain in my middle back.   I thought someone could chime in and tell me if they had the same problem after stage 1.  I am just taking Tylenol to try to deal with the pain. 

My Stage 2 will be July 26 in Charleston  to lift my left breast and make whatever I want beautiful! 

Sandy B...from Tennessee

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Melinda, I noticed what looked like a blister on my abdominal incision a few weeks post-op, and it turned out that I had a seroma.  A hole opened up in it, and a few drops would drain each day.  I kept a small piece of guaze over it for weeks. If I pressed near it, more fluid would drain out.  Small amounts of fluid can be reabsorbed by your body, but you don't want a seroma which becomes large and never drains.

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Sandy: do you think we might meet next weekend? I have a pretty full weekend due to my surgery being on wed.5/25 but I really want to add your page to the book. Call me and lets look at our schedules.

Trisha: Your page looks awsome in the book with the peek-a-boo flap!

I just LOVE how creative and different each and every one of you ladies are. The common thread here is each page expresses love and appreciation. I think this would be an award winning book at the Creative Memories convention!!

Thanks ladies, You Rock Sisters!!

BTW....if i get any more pages this week I can still add them!!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010

i was thinking i have a small seroma along the incision line. Thanks Sandy for telling me about yours. Mine sounds exactly like yours. It soulds like i've been doing the same thing you did. I've been putting a over it to absorb the output but it's very very little. I'm hoping it goes away relatively quickly

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2010

Sandy-

Ask Dr. Massey's office for a muscle relaxant, if you don't already have one. She wrote a scrip for me for Flexeril, it was a lifesaver in the hospital and I used it a few times after I got home. I'm not a back sleeper and my back really started complaining after a while.

-Brenda

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Hi All,

So now that my stage 1 is scheduled for 07/29/10, how do I contact Katie or Celeste? I know I should plan to be there for about 10 days but I need to know the dates I should arrive and the dates I should plan to leave so I can order the plane tickets. I would also like to stay at Hope Lodge and am not sure what the procedure is for that. Who is the person at NOLA who is in charge of getting pre approval for the surgery???

I agree with you all about insurance companies. They are intentionally trying not to pay for reconstruction. I had reconstruction with implants done on 03/10/10. My PS got pre approval for the surgery (after much hassle) and then on 03/31/10, I had to have my left implant removed due to infection. So I get a letter from Cigna saying that the X plant was not pre approved and they did not pay the DR. I called them and told them this is obviously a complication of the original surgery but they said they wont pay until they get more information from the Dr stating that it was medically necessary ( are your kidding me) ,,, This is just one of MANY hassles that they have given me since I was diagnosed with BC....

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

sheridangirl, you'll receive a packet of information very soon with the information you need.  I believe that Liz is scheduling stage I surgeries.  Celeste is scheduling for Dr. S, and Jeanine for Dr. D's stage II surgeries.  They will submit you for your stay at Hope Lodge. Don't worry-- there is plenty of time to arrange everything!

Tammy, next weekend is great if it's okay with you. It will be great to meet you in person.  I'll give you a call!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Sheridan girl - Just call Katie on Monday (the number on the website). She usually answers the phone and will give you all your dates. You usually fly in 2 days prior, have pre-op w/your doc, Sally and the anesthesiologist the next day along w/pre-op CTA and then surgery the day after that. Let Katie know that you want to stay at the Hope Lodge, sooner than later because it does get busy sometimes, so they need to reserve you a room. Post op is generally 1 week after surgery then you can fly out the day after that. BUT, reconfirm all of this with Katie prior to making your reservations!

Tam - I am really really going to get my pages to you this week. I still need that one more picture - hoping to do it tomorrow if it is nice weather and then put my pages together on Monday!

• Nordy
    edited May 2010
    LOL, okay, Sandy is saying not to worry you have plenty of time, and I am saying to hurry and call! LOL... Yes, type A personality here. Embarassed Although on the Hope Lodge thing I really would let them know soon...
  • trainertam
    edited May 2010

Sheridangirl, did you contact the ACS to see about tickets from Ca to New Orleans? the tickets are so expensive these days, it will be great if they can get them for you!

Sandy Lets talksoon Laughing

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2010

Sheridangirl...I am scheduled for Aug 2nd. When Liz told me the date, she said a packet would be sent out. I tried to be patient but when I didn't receive it after 2 weeks I e-mailed to clarify. Wondered if it was going to be sent closer to the surgery? She again said she would make she it got sent out. I think it was Celeste? who she said would send it.Waited another week or so and e-mailed again. This time Liz said she would send it out herself and I got it a few days later. She said they have been really busy :)

It did have all my dates and times as far as pre-op, surgery, and follow up appointment. Also, included was pre-op instructions.I still have some questions about the pre op work-up and not sure who to talk to at this point. Maybe I will can Katie and see if she can point me in the right direction.

Now I feel I can start looking at hotels (any right in the French Quarter?) and plane ride (although thinking about driving down).

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited May 2010

Sandy B (benetts1) I sent you a PM

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

Thanks Gals,

You are making me feel so much better. I am a type A personality and have a very hard time waiting and being patient... I wonder how much the type A has to do with getting BC ?? Jinger, I think a little yoga and meditation would be good for me.

Tammy, I am going to call ACS tomorrow as soon as I talk to Katie and see what my travel dates are. I am not sure if my husband can stay away from home for 10 or 11 days, So he may travel with me and then he and my daughter can switch places and she can take me home... 

Ladybug, Are you doing Stage 1 or 2 ??? Will you be at St Charles??

I know this is the best place to go to do re- reconstruction but am really apprehensive. I am afraid to be so far away from them if I have complications when I get home (did I mention that complications are my middle name)... Anyone else feel that way??? Also I have a frozen left shoulder ( I guess I got it from the infection or maybe it is because my left muscle was rolled down with the skin when my PS took the implant out) I am not sure how they will do the surgery since they can't move my arm out of the way and they have to turn me to do the hip flap.... I know it will be okay, everything does work out eventually...

Thanks again for your help !!

Lynn

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Question for those that have had nipples for stage 2 - do the black 'whisker' stitches disolve on their own - or do those have to be snipped as well???

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Question for those that have had nipples for stage 2 - do the black 'whisker' stitches disolve on their own - or do those have to be snipped as well???

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

swastew - I was told NOT to snip the nipple whiskers!!! They eventually just fall off during a shower or drying off, or in your bra. But they seem to take foreverrrrrrrr... I think it was about 5 or 6 weeks before mine were completely gone.

Sheridan girl - after  your surgery they will be in touch with you... AND they will also give you a number to call after hours (their call service) that will reach the on-call physician if you need to talk to them at night or on the weekend. It will be OK. I had a local PS on board with me, that knew I was going (she removed my de-funct tissue expanders and knew that I didn't want any of the reconstructive surgeries that she could offer me) and so that was really helpful to have her here, but when I did have an issue w/the drain, I called the number the center gave me and they connected me to Dr. Trahan. Remember, they have been doing this for years w/thousands of women - and would probably say at least half, if not the majority are women traveling there for their surgery.  You will be GREAT!!!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Sheridan - I have tons of complications, too.  In fact, it looks like I'm having yet another one.  I, too, had visited a local PS and had asked him if he would be willing to help me afterward.  In the end, I did need him to look at a spot, which was fixed at Stage 2.  It helped for him to have an opinion, even though he personally did nothing about it.  Usually, if there is a bigger issue, the Center wants to take care of their own.  Most of their patients are from a distance, so this is not a big deal to them. The most critical time is when you are there.  Because of all my weird healing issues, my dh and I chose to stay an extra 3 days, just in case, and we had 2 post-op visits.  

• ladybug50
    ladybug50 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2010

Sheridan girl, I am doing a stage 1 and at St Charles. Someone here stated that BCBS made them change hospitals at the last minute so I hope that doesn't happen to me! Dr D will be my doc.

Funny, i have a frozen rt shoulder! It was hard doing the MRI guided biopsy because it took an hour and my arm was above my head the whole time. Had a few days of pain after that. Actually the shoulder is not "frozen" anymore but still gets stiff and sore. No known cause..

My oncologist had high praises about the work at NOLA but did wonder how complications are handled when a person gets home. She said one of her patients had several complications and it was a nightmare because she did not have the resources to go back down to NOLA.I didn't get into a discussion with her about sending pictures and telephone follow up as I was on my way out but I 'm not too worried about that part of it right now.

Right now I need to think about what to do with the chikdren and the dogs. It will be hard to be away from the kids. the dogs, not so much....(they are big goldendoodles and pretty well behaved but I do worry about they tripping me up when I get home!)

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

Lynn  (And anyone else wanting meditation info): My favorite meditations were some healing meditations by Peter Tongue, some "Preparing for Surgery" meditations by Martin Rossman, and my favorites, guided imagery and affirmations on  "Meditations to Promote Successful Surgery" by Bellaruth Naparstek.  There is quick 8-minute Power Meditation by David Harshada Wagner on a Living Meditation, Vol. 2 CD that is great for fitting in anytime (waits in a car, right after work, etc.). I downloaded them all from iTunes.  I think they helped tremendously.  Good luck! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Ladybug, please try not to worry about complications. If it should happen, which it did to me, I sent pictures and when Dr D decided I needed to come back for more surgery to clean up the abdomine I had a hugh black spot and it started opening and oozing, WAY GROSS. Anyway Dr D and the center paid form my  and my caregivers flight. Then I stayed at the Hope lodge afterwards. Literally took 100 dollars with me and brought home 90, (I bought us sodas in the airport) I can remember how nervous I was for Stage 1 Try to relax . The center will take very good care of you.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Ladybug, I think you'll be surprised at how well you'll recover.  For me, the third day was the most challenging for some reason, but after that each and every day was a bit easier and I felt a bit stronger.  It's encouraging overall.......and then to see non-dangerous breasts which look nice - ahhh!

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

Holtbolt: Got your page in the mail today. Good thing you packed it so well, there was huge gouge in the side of the wrapping all the way through to the cardboard, but your page was in perfect condition! You did a nice job, I know you said you aren't a scrapbooker!

So I have 3 more pages available,and we will have filled half the book!!! I think that makes a nice presentaion, don't you? I should get SandyinParadise's page this weekend and perhaps a couple more in the mail before I leave.

BTW: I am the one that had to go to Oschner  at the last minute due to BCBS...don't worry, Dr. D is NO longer doing business with them, so Blue Shield will go along with the Out of Network fees and let you go to St. Charles surgical. I am as Dr. D put it "the tipping point"!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Good luck to HelloFromCT and Holtbolt! Comin' up!!!!

Ladybug - I don't see you on the roster yet!

Tammy - so glad the scrapbook is filling up! Thanks again for organizing it!

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

Eve: got your envelope today, thank you, I appreciate the contributionSmile it has been my pleasure to put this together for our beloved Doctors! My reward is that I get to see all the wonderful pages, and they are SO wonderful!!

Ginny: I got your page printed out and added some flowers to the edge so it would fill up a 12 X 12 paper. Looks great, and when you are there, you can pull it out and sign the bottom or write something if you like, there's a bit of room at the bottom for thatWink Smart of you to think of sending it to me on the computer!!