Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

I got 2 double page spreads in the mail today, woo hoo. They are both so nice and so different! I love seeing how differently you all are! BTW: all I have to say to you Eve, is ROCK ON!!!!I'm going to take pictures of all the pages so you can all see. I'll try my hand at posting on the picture site!

Thank you to all of you for sending some cash to help defray  the cost too, much appreciated. Especially since the Center just called today and wants my down payment for stage 2... the Center is out of net work and Blue Shield is hardly paying for any of it.

I laughed when I read about our boobs being as expensive as our California homes...indeed, I calculated it out too! But WELL worth it Laughing

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Laughlines - yes, there is a groc in the French Quarter.  It's on the smaller side, but it's selection is pretty good, not amazing.  It's the style of the older neighborhood grocery stores, with a slightly better selection.  It's about 4 blocks from the Cathedral, north and west, but I can't remember the intersection.  Someone there can tell you. We picked up a few things there, and then also went to Whole Foods another time.  To get to Whole Foods, you can ride the streetcar past the Center by a mile or so (the drivers all know Whole Foods), and then you have to walk south about 6 blocks. I was there in Jan and Apr, so the heat wasn't too bad.  I imagine it's starting to cook down there by now.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Also, there are Walgreens everywhere! They have some food.

Sueinfla - Yes! Definitely we'll get together, and hopefully with Alaina, too!

Tammy - Glad you liked the pages! Hope they arrived intact with nothing falling off. I never even knew there was a picture site here. (I'm sure you agree who holds the front and center spot in that one picture...)

NMI - Good luck tomorrow, sister!

Jinger - Mine is doing that, too. I'm sure it will be addressed at stage 2!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Dragonfly - do you want to be added to the list above? If Yes, let me know what type of surgery you are having, Doc (if you can find out! As you can see, there are "best doc wars" here, ha), hospital, sounds like you are staying at Hope Lodge.

Minn and Sandy or anybody else:  when you want to schedule a "post phase 2" procedure, who do you get with at the Center? Do you call or email? Give me the low down.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited May 2010

Sure go ahead and add me, for now :) I hope nothing comes up between now and then! I did email Liz again last night asking about my packet and which surgeon. So when I hear back I'll let you know. About the procedure, you can tell I'm new at this because I'm not quite sure. I thought it was a DIEP. Yes, we are all set at the hope lodge and Katie is making our flight arrangements with ACS right now!!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2010

I went back through my emails from when I was originally going to go in April (complications from Mastectomy delayed things) and I was set up with Dr. S?

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Scheduling Stage 2 - I wrote to both Liz and Celeste telling them the approx date range I wanted for Stage 2.  I believe it was Liz who called me back with options.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

For stage 1, first I e-mailed Celeste, and then she told me Jeanine did Dr. DellaCroce's scheduling, so forwarded my e-mail to Jeanine. For stage 2, I called the Center, got Katie, and she left a message for Jeanine. So - I think there are multiple routes!

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

I had NO idea that ACS would get tickets for us to travel! I just called them and they said it was not a REIMBURSEMENT program. They need 3-4 weeks lead time to get the tickets for you. so, that means I will not get any money back for the 2 sets of tickets i already purchased (ouch) but i wanted to give the phone # for any of you who WILL be purchasing your airline tix in the next few weeks. 1-800-227-2345. The guy was very sweet and apologetic, but I was bumming  regardless!

I know it must sound like I'm always talking aobut $$ here! But some of you know how disappointed I was to learn that Blue Shield was not paying for much of my reconstruction due to the Center being Out-of Network and of course they disallow so much that it is a CRIME how they get away with not covering the procedure! they don't even cont the money I pay the Center as out of pocket (because they consider it disallowed services!)

I'm so grateful to have the BEST surgons in the world, just disappointed in the lack of coverage that I thought i was going to have, not to mention them sending me to Oschner because it was In Network.

Sorry just venting today!

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

I had NO idea that ACS would get tickets for us to travel! I just called them and they said it was not a REIMBURSEMENT program. They need 3-4 weeks lead time to get the tickets for you. so, that means I will not get any money back for the 2 sets of tickets i already purchased (ouch) but i wanted to give the phone # for any of you who WILL be purchasing your airline tix in the next few weeks or months. 1-800-227-2345. The guy was very sweet and apologetic, but I was bumming  regardless!

I know it must sound like I'm always talking aobut $$ here! But some of you know how disappointed I was to learn that Blue Shield was not paying for much of my reconstruction due to the Center being Out-of Network and of course they disallow so much that it is a CRIME how they get away with not covering the procedure! they don't even count the money I pay the Center as out of pocket (because they consider it disallowed services!)

I'm so grateful to have the BEST surgons in the world, just disappointed in the lack of coverage that I thought i was going to have after switching to Blue Shield Premiere, not to mention them sending me to Oschner because it was In Network.

Sorry just venting today!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2010

Tammy - Did you go to NOLA? I was a little confused because you mentioned Oschner? Anyway, yes ACS will help with travel costs. Also, Katie at NOLA will work with ACS to get the flights all booked and set up. I think it's 1 trip a year they will cover for the patient and a caregiver! It does totally suck that you found out after the fact. I don't know that many people are aware that's why I wanted to post it on here! It's a huge help to us!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

NMI - sending good vibes your way... Smile

Tammy - my page is on the way.... thank you for putting this together!

Dragon - woohoo on getting a Stage1 date!! I didn't know about the free airline tickets either... hmmm.. wonder if I can get them for Stage 3, tattoo trip....

Have a great weekend ladies.... !

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

Dragonfly: Yes, I went to NOLA and had Dr. D, unfortunately i was told by Blue Shield (at the last minute) I had to go to Oschner Hospital for the surgery. If you look back to some of my posts in Feb. when I had my stage 1, you'll read about some of the awful treatment I received at Oschner. It was so bad, Dr. D had to admit me to St. Charles AFTER I was relased from Oschner due to a lung infection . I stayed 3 days at St. Charles just recovering from that! This time Dr.D will perform the Stage 2 at his own facility. He was so mad, he pulled all his future surgeries from Oschner.! I was especialy upset because i had changed insurance last year JUST to able to go to the breast center and have Dr. D.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2010

Wow, I'm so sorry!! What a mess. The insurance part of all this is a huge nightmare it seems like. I've had to really battle with mine on such petty stuff! Who knows what this surgery will bring! I'm glad you're doing better and sounds like you'll be in excellent hands at St. Charles!

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2010

Thanks for the info about food shopping ladies!

Thank Jinger - I will check out ITunes for the meditations.

Go nmi!! Thinking of you!

Nordy - So tempted by the October trip! I was planning on local tatt's too, but a pleasure trip sounds pretty great . . . . then our girls (and guys) could play together!

For scheduling Stage 2 I called Liz, and she put me in touch with Celeste. I was able to actually talk with Celeste and pick from available dates. She was great. I just hope I haven't jinxed myself by scheduling Stage 2 before I've had Stage 1!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2010

Ok ladies.... just got an email from Liz.... Dr. S it is :)

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010

SO ACS will help with flights? I had no idea. I havent' scheduled any flights yet for my stage 2, I've been stalking them since they are outrageously expensive right now. Do they have income restrictions? Usually when places do we are always just out of range.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2010

Here is the # that I just called. 1-800-227-2345, I got this # from Katie at NOLA. They didn't ask about income, just that I was a patient traveling for treatment/surgery.Katie just had me fill out the mercy medical flight form and she will work on the rest I guess. There are some fees involved usually less than 75 she said. 10.00 ticketing fee, and from 20-65 for something else. Hope that helps.

• Melonda
    edited May 2010

thanks for the info- I called and talked to them, since it was so late in the day on a Friday they will be getting back to me on Monday. If that would happen I think my husband would freak out with happiness, the flights we're looking at for 2 of us are close to 1000 bucks right now!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

I used Mercy Medical for my Stage 1 back in March. You do have to fly out of a national airport rather than regional. I had to fly out of Syracuse (2 hours away) instead of Elmira(10 minutes ) away but it was well worth it. A little rough for the ride home from Syracuse bu do able. Don't get frustrated when you keep having to leave messages for Mercy and for me I did not find out until the week before what my flight plans were. Just have faith in Katie. She truely can work miracles. If you have any other questions just PM me

• Dragonfly1976
    edited May 2010
    Sally, did you go on a commercial plane? When I talked to ACS today they said there was all kinds of options. Katie did say I wouldn't get the details til right before I left. The main airport is an hour from me in Portland so that's not bad really. It's such a great thing they offer, too bad more people don't know about it!
  • Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

well, freaked out a little last night.  Everything has been going good.  Had my third weekly chemo Thursday.  Saw my primary on Tuesday. She looked at scab still on right breast and said it looked good, and would be coming off soon.  All of a sudden Thursday night, icky stuff is coming out below the scab.  I took pics and sent to Jeanine. She is sending them to Dr. D and called in antibiotic for me.  She said it doesn't look infected and she is right - no redness, no heat, no fever - but the stuff coming out sure "looks" like infection.  My Onc is gonna be ticked at me!  He didn't want to start the chemo cause of me having the scalb still, but I talked him into it.  <sigh>  And, of course, next Thursday is the day I see him when I get my chemo.  Well, hopefully it will be about cleared up by the time I see him.  Tammy, you might very well wind up using that file I emailed you for my page.  Can't wait to see what some of the other girls have done!  ok, everyone cross your fingers that this doesn't cause me to have to stop the chemo again!! 

• Melonda
    edited May 2010

I'm about 8 weeks out from my DIEP in march. I have been doing awesome for the last 2 weeks and have been feeling more energetic. My incisions areas are almost all closed, just a bit on my tummy a tiny bit open.

So for the last 2 days i've been getting some pain along my tummy scar. I haven't been in any pain at all in that area for weeks.The open part is still looking great, its almost closed all the way. But there is a small area maybe 1/4" wide that is bulging out a little bit and almost looks and feels like a blister there. The skin on top of that is pretty thin and feels different from the rest of the scar line. Has anyone ever experienced this? Its not that concerning but just wondered.

Also my lungs (i ggot pneumonia and pleurisy after the surgery) have been clear of fluid forr about 2 weeks too and the raspiness is gone. 2 days ago i slipped and fell in the rain and im fine but now im feeling the raspiness again. Is it possible that the fall shook loose thelast of the fluid? I had just seen my pulmonologist that day and he said that there was an "insignificant" amount left.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Melinda - I am uncertain about the raspiness - and since I did not have DIEP, I am uncertain about that too. Wow, all in all, I am just no help at all! Sorry. But do know that I am thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way!

Gin- Hoping for a speedy healing of your incision so that you can keep powering through chemo! I know that feeling - when you are on track with treatment, you want to stay on track and get it done! Thinking of you too.

Okay girls, I am going to sign up this week for that 1/2 marathon in October in NOLA... you all (and for some of you - "ya'll") know that I want company... :)

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Mwlinda,  I did have DIEP but even when I had problems with incision opening a little, I never had pain there.  Have you touched base with the Center?  Prayers and healing vibes on the way......

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Gin Prayers are coming your way. Hoping all works out for you.

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2010

Just throwing this out & hoping to get a few replies: 

Has anyone had the dissolvable stitches NOT dissolve? I have two tiny incisions on each outer thigh where Dr S did some lipo; he stitched each one with a dissolvable stitch (looks like fishing wire). 7 weeks post-op, I still have each stitch poking out from my thigh. One is not painful, but the other one is and has been all along. I noticed last night that there is some oozing now coming out around the stitch, thought the tiny incision itself doesn't look infected. Just wondering if they normally last this long (7 weeks & counting) before disappearing?

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

Cam~the stithces that are poking out and look like fishing line can be snipped off at 2 weeks!  Just grab the end with some tweezers and pull it out a little bit and then snip it with some scissors.  It may just come right out with some pulling at 7 weeks!!!

• Melonda
    edited May 2010

SO the blister thing popped last night. It kind of oozed for about 10 minutes and now there's a bit of a hole in my skin there but thats it. Nothin to call the center about over the weekend but I've sent them pictures and will call Monday or Tuesday.

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2010

Really! Okay, I'm going to try clipping it, then. I don't have any small scissors, but I'll use what I have. The frustrating thing is, when I went to my surgeon's office (local) to have my drain pulled & any stitches clipped, the nurse looked at those incisions and swore there was no stitch showing...but there was, I could both see it AND feel it poking out! *grumble* lol!