Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

Ok, so I'm here and I did get a bikini wax too at home but NOT a brazilian.....I think I'm going to have fun w/ this!.....maybe she won't read this..... Hope Stephanie has a good sense of humor!  LOL!..OMG that sounds very painful!  I talked w/ melanie, actually she called while I was blabbing and droning on to Nordy   yesterday.  Mel sounded good, left me a very detailed message, she is SOOOOooo happy and I am SOOoooo happy for her.  I called her when I got here because I wanted to make sure she's ok and didn't want her to feel obligated.........ya know since she's postop?  Anyhoo.  She is resting doing well, says each time getting up is easier and that her abd is tighter than a drum but at least she can stand up straight now.  I told her to take it easy.  Stephanie's flight I think lands any time now and I am sitting in the marriott lobby, because wireless is free here? w/o a cell!  oops...sleep deprivation!  More later...must go find my partner in crime.  Went on a mission when I got here...this lady at DFW had the greatest shoes and got them on magazine street...but I couldn't get past some construction...I WILL get those shoes!  Oh almost had a meltdown this am.  My BFF who was to go w/ me to church then drop me at the airport got called in to work.......she forgot she was on call.  She just got promoted.....fortunately her husband rescued me and all is well.  She is not on call and her husband(ex military) assured me they would both be here friday .......

more later,

jennifer

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2009

Jennifer~Do get over to Magazine St!  But the shops there close early...FYI...lik 5 or 6.  We wanted to spend the evening shopping there, but had to go to the Quarter again because everything was already closed.  Boohooo!

Speaking of shopping...I just bought the most fabulous dress that I would have NEVER been able to wear prior to my DIEP!  Perky, even, real flesh boobs and flat tummies RULE!!! 

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009

My thoughts are with you ladies having surgery next! I'm up a week from Tuesday. Hopefully my pre-op and Jennifer's post-op schedules will allow us to meet at the Center! :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Jen, send Mel our best! You sound goofy / giddy / happy!

I am cracking up about all these bikini waxings (Jen) and brazillians!!!!! (Steph) - totally funny - thank you for sharing! 

This is the first I've heard of "Magazine" street. Where is that compared to the French Quarter and the Central Business District (Homewood) area?

IAMC - I met three ladies waiting for or after my post op at the center! There were 8 limos outside! A bumper crop!!!

Spring.

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

It's my first post - I met Spring and Warrior when we were post op a couple of weeks ago (my DIEP was Sept 2).  I returned home Sept 10 and got busy with home stuff -sorry it took so long to post.  It was great to meet you both!  I am doing well - happy to report that all drains are out and I have one more day of the girdle!  I was told that the secret to getting drains out it to keep moving so I did a lot of walking and had all but one drain out before I left NOLA.  We stayed at the Hope Lodge before surgery - my husband stayed there at night while I was in the hospital.  Then we moved to the Clarian Boutique (Clarion Hotel Grand Boutique 2001 St. Charles Ave , New Orleans, LA, US, 70130 | Phone: (504) 558-9966) which is about 3 blocks from St. Charles Hospital.  It was a great place to stay - the trolley is right out the front door.  Many places to eat nearby (we went to Emeril's Delmonico restaurant a few blocks away - YUM!).  We took the trolley to the French Quarter and I actually walked to my post op appointment. 

Now I need to make some decisions about Stage 2 - I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec 9.  I don't want nipples and so I'm trying to decide if I should do it at all and what to have done if I do.  I'll wait a bit to see how everything heals up but any words of wisdom from you Post Stage 2 girls will be much appreciated.

Happy Healing everyone!  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

...and on we go with the drain drama... I now have an infection in the same drain that was giving me so much trouble the last couple of weeks. I thought maybe I did, because yesterday the exit site was so sore and just a little red. I even took a pain pill last night because it was so uncomfortable (and I don't like meds... ). Anyway, tonight when I emptied my drain - P.U. - stinky stinky... and now cloudy output. It also significantly increased in the last two days, where I had thought that I would be able to get them out soon. I just got off the phone w/Dr. Trahan (poor man, I talked to him last week when my "grenade" lost its regurgitation valve on Saturday night!). He is calling in a prescription for some antibiotics that are stronger than what I was on. SO - off I go to Walgreens to try and clear this up then maybe get these things out this week. This particular drain has really been nothing but trouble for the last two weeks - it is a "high maintenance" drain! Which is so funny, because the other side has worked great and I have had no issues! AND the thing that drives me nuts is that I always have the luck of all of this stuff going down on the weekends! I tried to convince my hubby that I could just wait until tomorrow... then he said, "tomorrow is still 12 hours away"... Okay, well then, since he put it that way!   ARGHHHH!!!!

Jennifer and Stephanie - if I do not get back on here before Tues - GOOD LUCK!!!!!  And paint the town red tomorrow!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009

The Eagle has landed or should I say the BALD eagle !!!! Forget about the brazilian I am talking sole patch here ladies!. Good to know that I saved the nurses from a shave. Just don't know how I am going to explain it. It is really too funny

I had a good flight in except for the guy sitting behind me, coughing his guts out the entire trip. My greatest fear with flying was that I would pick something up. I just hope he was not contageous.

I met up with Jennifer tonight she's a great gal. It is so nice to have a buddy to go through all of this with. We walked around the French Quarter and found a nice place to eat, had great shrimp and a couple of glasses of wine. Don't tell the doc on us. Walked around some more and just happened across Cafe Dumond so we had to stop for coffee &  beignets. YUMMMMMM so good.

Melanie sorry we couldn't meet up but I understand. Hope you are making a good recovery. Nordy and Spring hang in there with those drains. They will come out soon enough.

• macksix6
    edited September 2009

Nordy I just posted and saw that you made a post. I am so sorry to hear that you have an infection. I hope that the antibiotics do there thing and that you can get that drain out soon. Hang in there girl. Do you have a doctor back home that you can see that may be able to help? I know that my original breast surgeon said that he would help me out if I needed any help. Perhaps someone should look at it.

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Hi Stephanie - thank you. I do have a doc here that will help if I need it, she took out my expanders last year. Unfortunately, I have done enough wound care to know when something is infected, so I just called the after-hours line and they put me through to Dr. Trahan. He called in a script for Levaquin (yes the one that causes tendon ruptures!) - it is more heavy duty, so am hoping that it kicks in quickly. My issue is that I am allergic to so many strains of antibiotics that they never have a lot to choose from. If it gets any worse over the next day or so, I will see my PS here and have her take a look. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! I am glad that you and Jen are having a good time! It is all about you guys this week!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Good Luck this Week Jennifer & Stephanie!

Nordy- Im sorry to hear your pain drain is infected.  I hope those anitbiotics kick in right away!

NebrNan-Sounds like you are doing pretty good.  great that your drains are out!

So walking before we go home is supposed to help us get rid of them sooner?   Maybe we put out alot of fluids int he beginning & then they slow down- even if we keep relatively active when we get home.

So my dh tells me this weekend he can not take off in Feb.  Which feb 5th would be time for my Stage 2.  I really wanted to have it done in Feb.    Does anyone get to ever do stage 2 -2 weeks early?

Or does one always have to wait at least 3 months?

Boy- I'll probably be the only hairy one having surgery :0.  LOL

Pam

• Trishia
    edited September 2009

Nordy!

I feel your pain sister.  One of my drain tube sites got infected.  It didn't affect the output though.  But it was SO painful!  Way worse than the surgery.  My doc here put me on Leviaquin too, but my joints and tendons started aching, so we switched.  SCARY!  I was finally able to remove it at 4 weeks.  It was the worst part of the entire stage 1 process!!!  Hang in there honey!

Stephanie & Jennifer!  Good luck!!!

Nan~welcome and congrats on your sucessful surgery!  I needed a stage 2 regardless of the nipples to even out my dog ears from stage 1.  You can totally wait and see.  There is no rush!!!  

Dejaboo~Yes, you have to wait.  Sorry!  Can you do it in March instead?  I waited 5 months between stages and it was good!  

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Hi Nancy!  Glad you are posting here, sounds like you've done very well! The Ab drains do seem to come out in no time compared to the butt ones. 

Well, drain update on me. The one side where I nearly ripped it out by accident one night, had pulled out another few inches as of this morning, and the "bulb" part would no longer hold the suction. I think the hose was too far out of me. Anyway, it has been in the low 20's for about a week, and we just took it out. I have the one left in the butt. I am going to take that out at the three week mark, which will be Wednesday! I am wearing a very tight black crotchless zipper garment from H*&% - tight squeeze fit so hoping this is extra good compression...

Jen and Stephanie, so glad you two could meet up! Send our best to Mel if you see her...

Nordy, you will pop a champaign cork when those friggin drains come out girl!! Hang in there. I swear, with an infection, you have been through the "drain mill"!!! That antibiotic is really strong. That's what they gave me during chemo when my white count went dangerously low...  

Spring. 

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

I Can have stage 2 in March Trishia.  It will be my 6th surgery in 2 years & I was really hoping to have it done & be healed before nice weather.

How long does stage 2 healing usually take?  How long for the Avg Drains & Bruising?

(Plus getting out of MN in Early Feb vs March would be a bonus- LOL)

Thanks,

Pam

• Trishia
    edited September 2009

Dejaboo~I am originally from MT so I feel you on getting out in February!  I am 10 days post stage 2, and my bruising is almost gone!  They are that lovely yellow green they get right before they go away...LOL!  My breast drains were removed before I left NOLA and I didn't have any ab drains.

You will definitely be healed and look great by the time bikini weather sets in!  I was just thinking to myself this morning how much easier this surgery was.  If I hadn't caught my sister's cold/flu I would already be 80% back to normal...after 10 days!!! 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

So Trisha, is this the year that shopping for a bathing suit will actually be an event of joy??

Pam, when is your stage 1, is it in NOLA, and what procedure, what doctor? If you tell me all this stuff I will add you to the listing above.

spring. 

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Thanks Trishsia,  That makes me feel it will be fine to wait until March.  Glad to hear you are doing pretty good.

I have everyone in my house taking Vit C.  it wasnt easy (I always take it)   So hopefully at least in my house everyone will stay healthy.

Spring-My SGAP is in NOLA on Nov 5th with Dr M & S assisting (good thing its not S & M assisting- LOL)  I will be at Hope Lodge the 3-5- Then Hospital & Homewood suites after.

Thanks for adding me.

Pam

• Trishia
    edited September 2009

Spring~ when bikini season rolls around next year...it will be the first time EVER that I will be stoked! As long as I do what I need to do to work on my flabby arms and big ol' thighs...LOL! 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Pam, added your specs above!

Trisha, OMG bikini season - YOU GO GIRL!!!!  

I have not exposed my belly area for any reason since delivering 2 huge babies!!! Summer 2010 could be the year! LOL!!! 

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Hi Everybody!!! Thank you for all your support!!! Yes, this infected drain site definitely was hurting me so much the past couple of days - worse than it had been the entire time! Today it is feeling a little better with only one dose of the Levaquin (now if I can just keep the rest of my body, like my tendons intact!). With the antibiotic, the output has also greatly decreased already, although still more than it was. It still smells though... but not as bad as it did!

Okay, so I had a dental checkup today... You know when it rains it pours... I had had 4 porcelain veneers put on my front teeth 5 years ago to close up some gaps... now there are spots of cavities behind 2 of them! I haven't had a cavity since high school! (and that was a LONG time ago!) Now the dentist is going to see if she can shoot it w/some air abrasion and rebond the backs so that I can get more life out of them. If I had known that having veneers would include more dental work later - I would never have gotten them done! I hate being in the dentist's chair!!! Oh, but this site is for breasts... LOL. Sorry - just needed to rant!

Okay, Jennifer... whew. Take a deep breath and get ready for it! You are going to do so great!!! Stephanie - You are on deck.

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009

Nordy, I'm so sorry for you!!

I just posted a new thread. Dr thinks the hip may be a better option for me. Can you take a peep at what I posted?

:)

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

Can any of you Stage II veterans explain about the nipple thing in Stage II?  Do they actually make a nipple out of some part of your body and then tattoo in Stage III?  Also, I know that this forum discussion is mainly about you NOLA ladies.  But has anyone out there besides Anne W been to SC?  I would like to find out about your experience.  I will have Massey and Craigie at Roper hosp.  

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2009

Marga says I won't be doing the nipple at Stage 2 in November. We need to get the "girls" perfect, first.Some of that, for me anyway, is living with them for a while.

It certainly is a process!

Anne

• sunandsandgirl
    sunandsandgirl Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

LIndaG47

A friend of mine used Craigie and had wonderful results. She loves the staff there.

sunandsandgirl 

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

Thanks Sun and Sand girl,  Now, I don't feel like such an outsider.  Does your friend ever sign on to these boards?  Linda

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2009

Stephanie!

I found you! You're so lucky to have moved on from the pleomorph board to the recon board! I envy you that you're at this point in your whole decision-making process (past it!) and also that you're in my favorite city right now! Be sure to check out Big Al at the Funky Pirate on Bourbon for great blues (after 8pm, if I recall correctly). Once you see and hear him, you'll never forget him! I'm sure you're carrying hellos to Dr. D. from other gals. Add me to the list - you've got the best! Oh, and your brazilian story is priceless. Are you going to try to explain that to the good doc?! LOL!!!!!!

Eve

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Jennifer - sending positive thoughts your way... I will be thinking about you tomorrow!

• macksix6
    edited September 2009

Jennifer

Smooth sailing to the other side.

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited September 2009

I'm so surprised to hear how long you ladies are lugging around those drains.  My drains were removed when I saw Dr S for my follow up appt.  And it's a good thing too.  I couldn't stand those drains.  I was trying to figure out how to take a nurse as a hostage if Dr S dared to say I needed to travel with those drains.  Fortunately for everyone, my drains were removed.  I had very little liquid coming out by then, which I'm sure was the deciding factor and not the stern look on my face when I said to Dr S, "you ARE taking out these drains!  Right?"  Spring, I would've fainted on the spot if I had a drain spraying the room like you did.  Yuk! 

I didn't have any drains at stage 2.  I'm not sure how they create the nipple.  Recovery was much faster after stage 2.  I had mine in March 06, and I gotta say, that liposuction seems to be the only thing that gets any weight off me anymore.  I've been making improvements in my food choices for nearly 4 years now, and I'm still pretty much the same weight.  I'm not very astute at counting calories, but I feel very certain that my consumption of them has decreased.  

I also have problems with keloids.  My bellybutton is practically nonexistent.  A q-tip barely fits into it.  The only thing I would've done differently, due to the keloids, would have been to tell Dr S to leave my good side as is.  Of all places, that was one of my worst keloids.  

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Thinking of Jennifer!!! What Steph said, "smooth sailing" to the other side....

Healing thoughts to Melanie.... Hope you are a little better every day...

Stephanie, You all ready to do this thing, girl??? :)   Given you are doing both belly and butt (like me) you wake up with like a gerzillion things coming out of you. But don't worry, pretty soon, they start coming out. One day at a time. By the time you leave the hospital, you should have lost both breast drains, all the doppler connections (4) and both ON-Q pain balls. When i left NOLA, I was down to just 3 drains!   And don't worry if your body looks totally gross the first few days. Things smoothed out and were not quite as horrific by the time I got to the hotel. All the swelling goes down some!  I found walking helped this.

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

Hi.

I have graduated from my leg drains!! I had an issue with regurgitated contraption in my left drain (teh amount was less than 40cc's for four days but I worried it was due to broken piece. I went to my BS doc locally and he pulled Not One but Two drains!! He said that sometimes keeping them in may cause other issues- I did not ask and did not question his decision. I am drain free and feel like a new woman!! My shirts are not bulging out anymore.

I just hope my legs were ready.....

Happy