Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Oh Happy, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I will be joining you tomorrow if the output stays as it has been! 

FREEDOM!!!!! 

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Way to go Happy!  I feel your freedom.

Heres to Spring- I hope yours go tomorrow too!

And Nordys soon!  Hows that infection?

Thinking of you today Jennifer & Stephanie tomorrow!

Pam

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2009

I just left the center and Jennifer is out and doing well in recovery.

Boy I had that nasty CT scan thing today. What a wierd feeling when that dye goes in. I see Dr D tomorrow for a little "connect the dots" (what can I say the guy likes to draw) and surgery on Thurs.

Let's all welcome Brenda26 she arrives in NOLA Wed night so I will pass the baton to her.

Great to hear your drains are out Happy. Nordy and Spring you gals will have them out soon.

Stephanie

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Hurray for Jenn!!!

Oh, yeah, that CTA is a trip, isn't it? Mega heat... 

Status quo here on the drains... increased output again today, and orange in color, but less cloudy. It is still a little stinky though. Oh well, I will keep plugging with the antibiotics!

Okay, so, here is a little story for all you NOLA gals. I dropped by my PS's today just to show her my new "girls" - she is so impressed! I took off my shirt and she just looked at me and said, "They are absolutely beautiful." Let me remind you that I have the football flaps because I was delayed reconstruction after bilateral total mastectomy, and even with that, she was so impressed. She wasn't even able to tell which side had been radiated. She asked for Dr. S's name, number and website. She said the next time she has a patient that asks for any kind of free flap, she is going to tell them about the Center. Now THAT is a compliment!

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Nordy, seeing is believing!! :)

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

That is Great Nordy!

I cant wait to show my Onco.  From the beginning of My Implant nightmare...She has always said- What did your PS do?

I cant wait to show her my SGAP.

Spring- Seeing may be believing.

But I want to feel them too!  LOL

Pam

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

Hi Everybody, I have a question regarding my Diep in Nov.  I am having bilateral diep but one side is delayed deip and the other will be prophylactic mx diep reconstruction.  Sorry I don't know all the lingo like you gals.  Anyway has anyone else had that done and was there a difference in the look and what did you think about it ? Also, just wondered what the average size of your new breasts are?  Hard to believe they can get that much fat from elsewhere on a body to make two new tata's..LOL  Linda

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Linda,

I had a friend do what you describe but with GAP. She said after phase 1, they were not both exactly the same size, but were perfect after phase 2.

I am a size C, which is what I was before. (at least I think, I can't yet wear a bra!!). I didn't have enough on either belly or butt, so they took from both areas.

Spring. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,897
    edited September 2009

LindaG47-

I will be having a left delayed recon, right mastectomy/immediate recon using DIEP next June.  From what I've gathered from the consults I've had so far (3, one more next month), we can have just about any size we want.  What size we want has in impact on the choice of procedure(s).  Since I have a BIG belly and want to go down in breast size I haven't had to worry about "having enough" fat, but I've gathered from other's postings that just about anything is possible using mulitple procedures and sites and/or implants. 

As far as the breasts looking alike, they should be close to the same size when you are done.  The scar pattern may be different.  For instance, I will have the "football" shaped scar on the left (the delayed recon side).  I can choose skin or skin and nipple sparing mastectomy on the right, and have only a cicular scar where around the aureole, but I'm leaning toward a traditional mastectomy to remove the breast skin so that a huge, wide sunken in scar (from a biopsy site with complications) will be removed.  The trade off is that I will have the football scar on both sides if I do that.  My choice is between a scar pattern that will be invisible after the nipple recon but with a huge red scar on the side of the new breast, or the football scar but no wide red scar on the side. 

Don't worry about the lingo--none of us knew it before we started on this journey, you'll pick it up as you go along.  Don't be shy about asking for translations--we do that all the time for newer "club members." 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Native, have you consulted with the NOLA Doctors at the CRBS? Just wondering. 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

MY DRAINS ARE ALL GONE!!! 

WOOT!!! Took out the last butt drain this am. Showering without that thing hanging around my neck was glorious! I took an extra long shower.

One more week in this girdle / binder thing, then FREEDOM. 

Does anybody know when we can sleep on our sides??? I know we cannot sleep on tummy for 6 weeks. (I never sleep on tummy) but I am a side sleeper! Let me know.... 

Also, I got on the scale today, and I have lost about 4-5 pounds from pre surgery. I know that 3.3 lbs were the implants (I had 2 700's). I am wondering if the rest is extra skin and junk they took out of me. Anybody else notice anything like this?

Spring. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2009

Okay I have been following this thread since it seems to be the only way I am going to achieve having breast again is thru a flap.  :( or maybe it's a blessing in disguise :) 

I have a couple of questions (I hope it's okay for me to ask them here).  Do you have follow up care from a PS in your home town ??  Spring I noticed that you had your flaps from 2 areas was it because you do not have a lot of fat ??  The local PS are saying that I maybe able to get a B is I am lucky and I think going some place like NOLA I have more chance of getting the C that I would like to have.  I loved the 600 HP implants too bad they didn't love me :(

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Jaimeh,

If you go to the CRBS web site  , and then click Contact, Getting started, you can (eventually) send pics of yourself and the docs can evaluate your body and suggest the type of surgery. Then when they see you in person, things can change, but they are generally pretty spot on.

For me, I did not have enough fat in either belly or butt (my ab fat was above my belly button, and they use below, by butt not too full) so I had 4 flaps, 2 from belly and 2 from butt. This is the only place in the world to get this surgery. I had implants as "placeholders" to get me through rads, but one got messed up from rads, and personally, I did not like having those objects under my pec muscles.

Some women line up a "helper doctor" when home to remove surgical drains. I've always just had my husband do it, and have not needed a Dr. at home, though for the first time I did have a few who would cooperate if needed. They keep in touch with you by phone for aftercare. If anything "goes wrong" they fly you back their and put you up at their expense (I've not heard this happen often, but do remember one or 2 ladies over time mentioning this).

Locally, the doctor who could do DIEP could not do "stacked" flaps (where you attach 2 together on one side), and he said i would be lucky to be a small A cup. I'm a C, which is what I was prior.

Hope this helps!

Spring. 

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2009

Spring~ Your information really helped a whole lot.  Thank you, Thank you :)

I am sending my information to NOLA to see what they say.  I have my local PS who is available to me and has already agreed to continue my care after any surgery that I chose.  She is awesome but my body had a huge problem with implants (they look awesome) and the incisions open. 

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

yay, Spring!! Drain-Free. I took an extra long shower too!

Last night one side weeped with fluid- Gross. IS this normal?

I have definitel;y lost weight since surgery -like 7 lbs. I think mine is because it is hard to eat.no appetite or lack of ability to get myself up and get something.

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Ohhhhhh, I am so happy for you Spring and happy29.... and a little jealous! I really want to say goodbye to these drains! I am thinking by Friday the L one might be ready to go... the R one, maybe by Sat. or Monday... The infection seems to be clearing up - not so cloudy, a lot less output, but still a little stinky. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am nearing the end!!!

Jamieh - My body didn't like implants either. NOLA will do a great job for you!

Jennifer - thinking about you today and hope that you are starting to move around and feel well.

Stephanie - Batter Up!!! I will be thinking about you tomorrow... 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Happy, Warrior also had a bit of leakage from her incision. Maybe PM her, I am not sure how often she is on anymore! You know, life calls! 

Nordy, sounds like SOON. You can make it! Just imagine how good you will feel to be FREE of those appendages!!

My friend locally told me today she will have to go 7 weeks with hers, I haven't heard the details yet, but they were still putting out a lot a bit back, maybe that is why... 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

LMAOOOOOO....I feel so lost on this board now...There is so much going on from Brazil to Maganzine Street! lol  You girls are fuuuunnnyy!!

I still have one drain left in the ab. I am hoping next week it will be removed so I have some freedom from that little stinker. I drove the first time with it yesterday and as I turned left out of sub, the valve popped and made that infamous balloon sound. I was driving and trying to put it all back together while a Hummer road my a$$. Then I got a horrible pain on my side that brought me to tears. So much for a quick drive to football practice for my son!! I found out today that the horrible pain on my side was torn skin at the exit sight of my drain. I must of pulled on it when I turned! So, ladies...use caution when driving!  Spring, Trishia...you WON'T see this story on Facebook..too many family and friends would yell at me for driving in the first place ! LOL

Ok..rec'd a message from Jenny..Dr. Massey's asst. Dr. M wants me for Stage 2 BACK IN NOLA!!! I was hoping for Chi town but she will be in NOLA most of Dec and she likes that you can spend the night there vs Chi Town is just a surgical center. I am hoping to go right around the 7th (I know she's booked for the 8th lol).. I will let you know once I know for sure, Spring!

Can I do Stage 2 solo?? Do I have to fly w/someone home?? Its so hard w/three kids to have someone watch them and do their sports, school etc...and I just don't know if hubby has much vacation time left by then...arrrrrgghhhh

Ok..I still have to read all your blogs..I am so behind and I am sorry but my prayers are with all you girls!! xxo

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Warrior - OH NO!!!! I can't believe this popping and inflating sound, and ripped skin!!! GOSH, you will be glad when that sucker is GONES-ville!!! 

Dec 7 - we will overlap just a little bit for stage 2. Will post your dates above when you find out!

I am still suffering from the hyper-sensitive skin/nerve thing going on between and under breasts. UGH!!!!!! I am trying to be patient. It has also made me think about people with chronic pain! I know this will end in time, but can you imagine?

Spring... 

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009

YEAH SPRING, NO DRAINS!

Looks like I'm a go most likely for the HIP instead of the DIEP in less than a week!!! (if you want to change my DIEP details and also I have Stage 2 on Dec 9, NOLA St Charles)

My consult is Monday, and Tuesday is D-Day..or should I say "C-day"? hehe 

I'm eager to meet Dr. S and the wonderful staff, and hopefully I will see Jennifer on Monday at her post-op.

I went out today and bought a few things...knit pants, hibiclens, etc as well as my "stop the constipation before it starts" supplies. UGH, anesthesia and narcotics really mess me up.

I'm going to have some pics taken tomorrow, because this time next week I will look very different. It seems surreal, I'm so used to this flat chested body (nine years!).

Hope all of you are doing well!

BTW- How long before I stop getting the "no more than 5 posts in a 24 hour period" notice? Sometimes I've been asked a question and I cannot post. 

Carolynn

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

Spring and Happy,

I am "happy" and "Springing" for joy that your PAIN IN THE DRAIN is gone!!

Native:  Thanks for the information and encouragement.  Who have you been consulting with, may I ask?

Linda

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Stephanie - It is ALL you!!!

Jennifer - I hope you are feeling well and starting to move about.

((((((HUGS))))) to the both of you!

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

Good Luck Stephanie!! All our positive thoughts and prayers are w/u there!

Jennifer- The hardest part is over and each moment brings you closer to a full healing

Mel- How are you doing?? Funny how a shower is so heavenly now..lol

Ginnie- Wanted you to know I am thinking of you often! You are a Warrior!!

And all your girls that are going, been there or just thinking about the DIEP....Please pick our brains..I have yet to meet anyone that has any regrets! Good luck

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Good Luck Stephanie!

And Brenda to you tomorrow!

jennifer- Hope you are doing good today.

Happy & Spring glad to hear you have no Drains!!

Warrior- Ouch- that sounds very Painful!

Pam

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2009

How far in advance did you ladies have to schedule your surgery ??  I faxed my paperwork today so I am hoping to hear from them in the next couple of days :).  Not looking forward to more surgery but I am looking forward to having breast again.

• iamc
    edited September 2009

My turn around time was QUICK. My fax'd paperwork was sent 9/7 and I am having surgery 9/29. I had spent months reading, researching, educating myself and making decisions..and settled on sending info to two doctors-- Allen in Charleston SC/NYC and The NOLA Center (Dr. D & S). My first choice was NOLA, and from the beginning I let them know I was committed and ready to move things forward. I made sure I held up my end, by fax'ing or emailing anything they needed right away.

Of course the holidays are coming, but if you want to move forward, you won't be on a three month wait or anything (and active cancer patients get priority, of course). On the other hand, they do NOT pressure you to make a decision. They present you with what they can do, and you are to take any amount of time to decide if you want to continue the process or give it more thought.

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2009

Oh that is great to hear.  I am going to give my body a period to rest and try and heal.  I just had my implants removed a week ago.  I am hoping to start in Jan. or February.  As crazy as it may sound my goal is to have boobies by next summer. 

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Jaimieh, - do you have cancer still in you now, or is this delayed recon? If the former, they fit people in amazingly so. If the later, there is not the same "rush", so I think it may take longer. If you are aiming for next summer, you should be in good shape. I called end of June ,and got phase 1 date for early Sept and phase 2 date for early Dec (wanted both done this calendar year for insurance purposes).

So - update on me. I am having fluid buildup under my armpit - sort of on the side of my breast where they Sentinel Node Biopsy was done last year. I think the fluid is just not draining. So NOLA is ordering a local ultrasound. if it is fluid, then a local surgeon will asperate it out. I can't wait - it is very uncomfortable.

I asked and at 3 weeks post op, they told me I could take Motrin! Yay! This may really help. The Tylenol alone does not have much of a punch.

Jane, Steph, and Brenda - THINKING OF YOU LADIES!!!

IAMC - I will update your specs!

Spring. 

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2009

It's delayed reconstruction.  So I guess i better get things moving. 

Spring silly question for you.  Do you have just the normal scars on your breast or do you have more because of more donor sites ??  I hope you are feeling better soon the fluid sounds painful. 

• iamc
    edited September 2009

Ah, good to know Spring. It could have been good luck on my part to get in so fast-- another sign it was meant to be. ;)

Good luck, hope you get that drained and feeling better!

Carolynn