Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Jaimieh, you don't get more scars on your breasts from more donor sites. You do get more scars all over your body though! I think most ladies get an incision from the nipple/areaola area downwards vertically. Though this is something you should ask about.... I have a lot more scars under my breasts as I had a previous breast reduction surgery many moons ago. 

My scars become very thin little white lines, well up until now anyway. I am hoping the same on my belly and butt! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Hi Everybody! I just got off the phone w/Jennifer (PlainJane) and she sounds great!!! She had a little set back shortly after surgery where they needed to go back to the OR and drain off some fluid from one of her breasts that was developing into a fairly large seroma! I guess Dr. D asked her if she was trying to be an E cup on that side! She also had to have a unit or two of blood transfused as her hemoglobin was 8... she is not sure if she had one or two units! She said she has had great pain control and that her DIEP was 6 1/2 hours. Her friend doesn't come in to NOLA until tomorrow, so since she is there w/out a support system right now, the nurses have been spoiling her like crazy and have said that they are her family now! Even despite the minor setback - she said she is so happy that she did this and was happy to say goodbye to the ducts and lobules. She said she also saw Mel and that she is doing great and that Mel has cleavage!

Wooooohhoooooooo... you go Jen and Mel!!!

Stephanie - I am thinking of you today and praying that all goes well... I know it will.

Spring... ((((hugs)))) I am sorry about the fluid collection! I hope that that gets better soon.

And just one more thing... and this is my honest opinion, but any time I hear of anyone having any kind of complication, even minor (ummm, like dehydration and nausea like I had), these doctors at the Center are ON TOP of it. I am impressed with their level of concern for their patients and making sure that all is well. 

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

Spring - Yeah for getting your drains out.  Hope the fluid collection is a minor set back.  I had to have a seroma drained twice after the drains came out from my mastectomy site a couple of years ago and it was not painful - just inconvenient.  I asked about sleeping on my side (this back stuff is getting old) and I think they said after 4 wks, but you should ask for sure since you have the fluid under the arm thing going on.

I am scheduled for Stage 2 with Dr. D at St Charles NOLA on Dec 9 (had Stage 1 at St Charles on Sep 2).

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009
    NebrNan,

I'm scheduled for Stage 2 Dec. 9th also (Dr. S) ! I hope we can meet up!
    Carolynn

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2009

Carolynn - Yes, let's try to find each other.  I replied to your other thread as well.

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Nancy and Iamc! Woot! That's great! I'll put both or your stage 2 info above... I am leaving on the 8th, so not sure if we'll overlap.... but nice you "found each other" !!

Look at all those stage 2's up there ladies! We are going to be one gorgeous group of women!!! :) 

I have an appt tomorrow morning with a local breast surgeon to get the fluid on that side aspirated or whatever. And on we Go!!! 

Spring. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,897
    edited September 2009

Lots of good news on the boards tonight!  Hooray!

I had a consult with a local (Bangor, Maine) PS, one with another PS in Maine (Lewiston) who I liked but has left the state, one with Dr. Tobias in Boston, who I will probably go with, and one coming up in NOLA in October. 

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

Spring -good luck with the fluid and I am sure it will be much better afetr draining today.

I am 4 weeks post op today and I am dying to sleep on my side.

Thanks for the update on plainjane- SO glad she is being so well taken care of !! It is scary to have to think of going back to OR after you just came out .  not to minimize plainjanes second surgery  at all but in the big picture-These are minor complications that can be expected with such major surgery and should not scare any gals that have upcoming sugeries. It is how well the Physicains handle the minor complications. A major complication is an unsuccessful flap.

Hope you are feeling good, Nordy??? Hope you are doing good

I see many of you are set up for second stage. May I ask how the Physicians know what you need for second stage already? did you send recent post op photos? I am still a bit swollen and how will Dr Allen know what to do second stage until all the swelling subsides?

Thanks LAdies- I appreciate all this support so much.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Spring I hope your Fluid drain goes good today.

Nordy Thanks for the Update on Jennifer.

That is a scary thought to have to go back into surgery.  Im glad the Drs were right on the ball & Caught that right away though.  And Nice that she is having extra good care for her from all the staff.  Im sure she will be happy to have her friend arrive today still.

yea- mels got Cleavage!  I cant wait for Cleavage.

Happy- I dont know how the Drs judge...Im not sure they really have to.  I think most wait at least 3 months before they have stage 2.  So I think it is just scheduled 3 months or later after your stage I.

It is a good question though & I do would like to know.  How I wish I could get my Stage 2 before the end of the year...But its not going to happen : (  LOL

Pam

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

Hey girls,

All is well.  I could still easily take another nap...I've gotten really good at that. Going for the shower in a bit.  Have gotten up by myself a couple times and it is exactly what everyone says, slow moving, Hunched over.  Everyone is just really nice, really pretty and not at all pretentious.  They are just ALL over any and everyhting.  I didn't even know I had a problem until Dr. Trahan came in and started saying, you have some fluid but the flap is in great shape we need to go to the OR, I'm calling Frank, then I was having more blood drawn, signed 2 consents and that was that.  The next hting I remember was asking if??? and they said:  "Oh no we;re finished!"  Ok super!  Back to sleep.  Pca off since yesterday scpolamine off yesterday too.  I had blurred vision-apparently Scopolamine can cause that, but guess what?  It also kept nausea at bay.  Oh man I made a big mistake and ate some tomato basil bisk soup monday night that was with me all night.  Oh and another thing...My friend who is coming in tonight w/ her husbadn.  The plan was for the rec rm nurse or someone to give her a call when I got out.  The OR nurse called her every 2 hours and she asked him to whenever he called....She said it really got to her when they said"OK, we have both breasts off."  Kym heard that and said, you BETTER call back in an hour when she has breats againor i will call you,  Anyhoo she was in cotact w/ other directors mgrs, etc just gushing over what good care I was getting and how they'd called updated so frequently.  Hope Stepahnie is doing well....I tried to post something on monday pm and my battery went dead.  Stephanie is VERY fabulous and talk about beautiful kids!  we were trying to go to lunch monday but that was a busy day.  Ok, guess I've droned on again sorry for bad grammar, misspells and the longest paragraph ever. 

thanks girls, love and prayers,

xoxo,

jennifer

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Jennifer, You sound great! Glad to hear from you honey!

The scopalamine patch gave me intense vertigo until I ripped it off!!! then I had to wait 24 hours until it "resolved". They were saying, "would you like to try and get out of bed" - and I was like, THE ROOM IS SPINNING!!! I'LL FALL DOWN!! LOL. It all resolved, but i am NOT doing that patch for stage 2!!

Update on my "fluid drain". Well, the local breast surgeon did an ultrasound and said, there is no fluid here! Just swollen tissues apparently. i just have to be patient - she said this was not at all unusual to have some swelling 3 weeks post op. So, I just have to wait it out!

Happy, - Stage 2 is pretty well defined, and I think that some women will need more 'work' than others. But includes contouring, smothing things out, scar revision if necessary, dog ears gone, liposuction - (this is how the get the fat to fill in other areas that need attention). etc. At least this is my understanding of CRBS in NOLA.

Native, sounds like you are doing lots and lots of consults!!! I am sure you will find what is right for you. 

Spring. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2009

Jennifer so glad to hear that you are doing so well and getting such good care!  Waking up with cleavage is a marvelous thing!!! 

Spring,  I had seromas.  The ER did an ultrasound and said it was just adema.  I could push on the areas and they would move like a waterbed...so I knew it wasn't adema. I went to a different hospital and they drained 80 cc's off one and 60 cc's in another!  

Happy~Spring pretty much spelled out how the docs of CRBS do it.  Plus they do nipples at stage 2.  You don't have to send pics or anything.

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009

So glad to hear from you, Jennifer!! Praying that each day you feel better!

Carolynn :)

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Jennifer - Nice to see you posting! And it was great talking to you yesterday! I am hoping that you are feeling better everyday!

Spring - Keep a good eye on your pocket of fluid/edema there! 

Dejaboo - cleavage is... oh so nice!!! I wore a v-neck on Sunday and I felt... NORMAL! Woohooo, no worrying if anyone could see down my shirt to the prosthetics pulling forward and a blank canvas underneath! Is your stage 2 scheduled after the new year? 

I am busy making preparations for my davinci hyst/bso... I am NOT happy about it, but just found out that in addition to my aunt that had BC, another aunt that had OC and my sister and I w/BC, I also have a cousin that is 3 years older than I am that was dx'd w/OC 3 years ago. That means she was my age at dx. My husband tells me we are done having babies, so it looks like I am off to the chopping block to have the carriage and makers removed. Cry I am hoping that I will have enough time in between surgeries to keep my stage 2 in Dec. but I have to double check w/Dr. S. Luckily the Davinci surgery only demands 2 weeks of downtime, vs. 4-6 weeks w/open surgery. I am NOT looking forward to being back in menopause and all that comes w/it. Is there anyone on here that has been through this already? If I was 10 years older I think it would be so much easier... however, I also would like to live to be 10 years older! 

PS - still hanging w/the drains... infection, I think is nearly gone but both still w/some increased output... I am just going w/the flow on this one, one day at a time!

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Nordy, I have a friend who is thinking of having her ovaries out during stage 2. Did you ever think of combining the surgeries? I wonder if that is possible. I've heard the Davinci hysto is a "cake walk" from another friend.... (I hope this is TRUE FOR YOU!)

Trisha, when you went to the "other" hospital, did they also do an ultrasound that then "found" the fluid? Maybe it is just puffy. The surgeon looked at it and said it did not seem like fluid to her. If you were here I would have you squish it around!!! You expert!!! 

Spring. 

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

What a hard decision, Nordy. I am thinking of you.Frown

Also hang in there with the drains. one day at a time...

Spring, glad to hear it is just swelling. My one side is definitely more swollen near right breast side..

Jennifer- you sound great- Enjoy the pampering from the nurses and the IV pain meds!

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Hi Nordy,

My stage 2 probably wont be until March : (

I so wanted to look normal & Be healed by spring.

And Then more Insurance deductibles : (

I had the DaVinci on July 13.  I wouldnt say it was a walk in the park.  but it really does vary for each person.  I dont like when Drs say it is only a 2 week recovery.  For one thing you still are removing all the same organs on the inside as a regular Hyster.  You just dont have the big incision.

I would say 4-6 full weeks before you get your energy back.  I still am getting my energy back 10 weeks later.   The pain was not bad though.

I do think I could have had another surgery around 6 weeks.  But It may really zap your energy...And with Stage 2 Lypo & stuff...I will be interested to see what the Dr recomends.

Check out Hystersisters if you want alot more info.

Jennifer- Good to hear from you!

Pam

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Spring - I totally wanted to combine the stage 2 and hyst/bso. The issue is that the Center does not yet have a gyn surgeon who is willing to schedule times to come to St. Charles Hospital to do these procedures. And I know that I am not the only one who is looking to combine. I have been asking since I first scheduled stage 1 but they have not had any luck with that yet. Dr. Sullivan is all for it, but they just need to get a gyn surgeon on board with them.  Since this has not yet happened,  I am just planning on the surgery in between the two.

Pam - thank you for the info. Can I ask how old you are? If you want to PM me that info you can! I am having a hard time coming to grips with not having any more kids... not that we would even if I didn't do the surgery... but you know how it is!

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

I pm Nordy

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Nordy, oh I see, you want only to be at St. charles Surgical. I know there are other hospitals down there where other surgeons go. I see. 

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

LOL - No Spring, I don't really care whether or not I am at St. Charles! Of course I like it there, but I had talked to the nurse and expressed the possibility of going to another hospital if they had a Gyn surgeon that would work it out w/me and Dr. S. Initially I was told it was a no-go, then when I had my pre-op w/Dr. S I expressed my desire to do the hyst/bso w/stage 2 to avoid another anesthesia, OR bill and hospital stay bill. He had said that he thought they could do it - and I told him that so far the nurses were having trouble lining that up with any of the gyn surgeons. His nurse later told me that as soon as I left, he was working on getting someone there! I just heard back from his nurse this afternoon and she now said that they are working out having an OB/GYN on staff and that that should be in place by my stage 2!  So, hurray!!! The only thing is that it will be an open hyst/bso because they will already be there doing my tummy... so I am unsure if I want all that down time again... It is quite a conundrum: Two surgeries vs. one. Open vs. Davinci. Unknown surgeon vs. the one I know. I also hope that the person that they are bringing on is REALLY good because the last thing I want is more surgery secondary to some kind of prolapse secondary to the hyst. UGH.

So, there ye have it!!! Dejaboo - going to check your PM right now... 

Hugs to Jenn and Stephanie who should be recouperating well in NOLA!!!

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Brenda - I hope all went well for you today! Mastectomies are hard and it may not seem like a good thing, but try thinking of it as saying good bye to the Benedict Arnolds of your body! Or whatever works! Thinking of you this weekend and hope you are feeling well.

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

Jennifer...I laugh at some of your messages...everyone is pretty...I called the whole hospital EYE CANDY HOSPITAL lol...I told them especially the patients! lol I hope you find each day gets better and better!!

Mel..Stephanie..hope you find yourself healing well w/bodacious ta ta's! Stay on top of your pain..don't wait for it to catch up with you!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

You got to love those Southern Lady beauties!! 

Hey Spring, you're a southern lady!!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

Spring,  I bet the problem just might be from your Sentinel node biopsy.  I had that 6 years ago and my armpit is always a bit tight with a vague pain.  Think of the ladies that had a lot of nodes taken....:-(

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2009

Hi Ladies,

Just checking in.  Doing ok, but still have problem with rt breast not draining, and trying to find dr to drain it, but having hard time finding someone who wants to touch it due to someone else doing surgery.  tt med onc, and will need chemo, but will be about a month because i need to to get surgery completely healed and then have to get port.  Tried to get me in trial for dose dense taxol and herceptin, but the fact that this is my second cancer, i did not qualify for the trial.  will have 4 x tc 1 every 3 wks.  stomach draining fine, just want to get rt breast draining, it is sooo uncomfortable. Glad everyone doing good, and dont let what is going on with me scare anyone, cause surgery went great!  will keep yall updated.....

Ginnie

• jondy
    jondy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2009

Trishia!

im so glad you posted and that you are doing so well. I had my second stage doen this past tuesday too. I had the nipples done and lipo on the sides of my breasts and love handles...I thought it was me! i had a tougher time with th second surgery with nausea and weekness. It was easier than expected and i am thrilled with my results..but man lipo really does a number on you!..one hip is badly bruised but its the compression garments i cant stand them..im so looking forward to flapping the girls in the breeze again lol. Im trying to rest..and the antibiotics just add to the nausea but i agree ..its so worth it!

• PATTY50
    PATTY50 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2009

Hi Ladies,

I have spent the last half hour catching up.  Sounds like everyone is doing well. 

Joy and Spring, It must be great to be finally drain free! Congrats :)

I have been busy getting ready for my surgery which will be on September 30.  We will leave for NYC on Monday. Although I am nervous, I can't wait to be rid of this gummy bear implant! 

I am bringing miralax.  What else should I bring for constipation?

Patty

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,897
    edited September 2009

Jennifer--So glad to hear how well you are doing! You go, girl!  

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Ginnie,

Im sorry to hear you can not find someone that will help you drain your right side!

What about the ER?

I hope you can get help soon!  Do let us know what happens.

Patty Good Luck on the 30th!

Pam