Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2010

Good Luck tomorrow Dragonfly & with all your Pre ops today.

Jaimie good Luck to you on Wednesday!

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2010
    good luck, Dragonfly and Jaimie!! Smile
  • Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Thank you ladies....

Holtbolt~ I still see you name as Hottbutt...lol....

• kelleyw
    kelleyw Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010

Hi there.

I just got back from stage 2 with Dr. D and he is A miracle MAN!!  I see you are putting something together, as you say a scrapbook. I am reading the blogs really quick during lunch. Let me know how and if I can add something.

THanks

Kelley

• Thankful1
    Thankful1 Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2010

Dr. D did my stage 1 at St. Charles Surgical Hospital on 08/19.  I got along very well and was even riding the street car the day I got out of the hospital.  So far I'm very pleased.  I know that I need to be making plans for stage 2.  But, for some reason, I can't remember what they told me is involved in stage 2.  I had the diep procedure.  Could anyone tell me their experience with stage 2.  Is the surgery and hospital stay as long and involved as stage 1?  Also, how much time should you wait between stage 1 and stage 2? Thanks so much for your help!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Hi Thankful

I had stage 1 DIEP with Dr D 8-18, the day before you:)  ( I was at Fairway Medical Center due to insurance issues--too bad we didn't meet!) I was told you should wait a minimum of 10-12 weeks before stage 2. From everything I've heard, surgery, hospital stay and recovery is shorter than for stage 1, though it depends on what exactly you have done. It sounds like most people get any needed revisions on their breasts and donor site, nipples and LIPO LIPO LIPO.

Amy

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Thankful, I had stage 2 done two days after you so we were in St Charles at the same time. Stage 2 is much easier than stage 1. Although due to my oxegen levels and my inability to urinate I was in until the 24th. They did a lot of lipo on me and lifted my breasts. They look great. Dr D also tried to fix my left leg where I got ran over by a lawnmower. It looks beter than it did. I had stage 1 on March 23 and then had stage 1 1\2 on April 22, ( i had complications from stage 1) and then stage 2 on August 20th. I believe the longer you wait the stronger you are to handle the second stage.

Ladies I am thinking about canceling my reservations for October. I didnt realize the hotels would be that much more expensive in October than August. I still have not made up my mind. But my younger sister who has had Cancer and gone thru a divorce is going thru some major financial problems and I think my money could be better used elsewhere. I called the airlines and I have until October 29th to decide. Maybe I will hit the lottery or something. I truely am going to miss  you all if I dont go. 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2010

I found out today that I have been pre approved by my insurance so I am all set for Sept 28th.  I must say I am feeling scared. I have a lot to do in the next two weeks.  Does anyone have any last minute advice on things I need to take?  I am dreading being put to sleep again.  My son is concerned saying it really has an effect on short term memory.  I told him I lost that when he was born 31 years ago so I should be fine.  Just so many surgeries in the last two years. 

I just can't wait to get these implants out!!!!!

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited September 2010

Good Luck to Dragonfly and Jamie.

Melinda, I had a right implant removed during stage 1. ( I had no implant on the left side due to an infection) . I have only had my stage 1 girls for a month and I absolutely LOVE them. They are not perfect but they are warm and normal. Since last Oct I have had 6 surgeries and spent a week in the hospital with an infection. But in spite of all of that, I can honestly say that I am glad it all turned out this way. I hated the TE and Implant procedures. The muscle expansion took 4 months and I was in pain the whole time, then once I got the implants and my right implant settled, it started sliding down and my body was fighting the foreign implant the whole time.  You will love having new warm boobs.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

Melinda - I have a friend who is having stage 1 on Sept. 29th, so she will be there when you are!

Sally - You need to do what is best for you next month. Of course you will be missed! But you know that we all understand. I probably wouldn't have gone if I did not have hotel for free from saving up all of my cc points. 

PJ - Miss you girl! Glad to see you post!

Dragonfly and Jaimie - good luck to you both this week!!! Dragonfly - you will be great tomorrow and it will be over before you know it!

• melindastn
    edited September 2010

Thanks for the encouragement.  I can't wait for my breast to feel warm.  I went to the movies Sunday afternoon and my implants were so cold the whole time. lol!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

I added three to the list above. Elaine, melindastn, and foobs. 

Melindastn - I also had implants shortly and was very glad to have them out. I can relate...

Trisha, YAY YAY YAY!!!! So glad for your news!

I just booked flights today for my revision surgery on Oct 29. Flying in early Thursday, and flying out Sunday. I could not get the tattoo this time, so I'll have to go back again!!!  At least all this is stimulating the economy in NOLA!!!  I am wondering if we should go there over Christmas break and bring the girls - I can get my tattoo and they can explore the French Quarter! :) 

• Elaine586
    Elaine586 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2010

Thank you, Sprintgime! Still waiting for a letter from my PCP so Jenny can submit all the paperwork to insurance. Hope they have a quick response. The airfare was reasonable. It keeps going up.Yell Also hoping insurance will pay St Charles enough. We don't have the $$ to make up the difference if they don't .Frown So many ifs.

Sending lots of hugs and good wishes for you lovely ladies heading down ! Can't wait to hear all of the updates!

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

I am blue markered up and ready to go in the AM. :). I was fine until today when the reality set in after my appt...lol... I am not worried about the surgery just the recovery.

So 7am tomorrow I will be going in which makes me thrilled to be first in the AM.

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010

(((((Jamie))))))Wishing you a beautiful, painfree recovery and the same to bennets and dragonfly.

Melinda, you will be in surgery while I getting my tatts on the 28th. I wish I could stick around and see you, but will have to drive right back to Pensacola afterward. Final exam the next day.  Maybe I can catch Sandy at the Center that day?

I had my follow up PET yesterday. I couldn't wait until Friday for my onc to deliver the news, so picked up a copy of the report this afternoon. All clear on the bc side! There is some uptake on the proffy side the patho attributes to fat necrosis and something a little wonky in the area of my thyroid, but all I care about are the leftover nodes and lungs and they are good. Whoohoo! One year down...

Reservations are made for Halloween weekend. Can hardly wait to see everyone! I am playing hookie from school the following Monday.  ;->

• Elaine586
    Elaine586 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2010
    Jaimieh, I will be thinking of you! Hopes for a fast and easy recovery sent your way!
  • Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

Jaimie - thoughts, prayers and positive vibes headed your way!

Dragonfly - I hope all went well and you are resting soundly right now!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Jaimie and Dragonfly, my prayers for easy, uneventful recoveries for both of you.

Sue, congrats on the all clear.  I'd love to see you again!

Although we are not going to do the fundraiser dinner, how do you ladies feel about meeting at Zea for dinner regardless?  And would you want to do a little service project over at Hope Lodge, such as planting flowers or maybe something else they need done?  This would all take place on Thursday, 10/28.  Please let me know your preferences.

Spring, I still need a re-do of my tattoos, but am not sure that I'd be going back so soon.  I guess it depends on what Dr. D does this time and how long he wants me to wait.  It would be wonderful to see NOLA at Christmastime though.  I think that losing weight has caused me to lose some of the injected fat in the upper poles of both breasts, so I'm going to ask about plumping them up a bit.

I talked to my trainer tonight about planning new workout routines that would avoid any twisting or compression of my spine, and so I have gotten back on her schedule and am very glad.  I was really missing working with her and want to retain the strength I've gained since winter.  I can't believe how quickly the end of October is approaching!

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2010

Just wanted to drop in on the NOLA thread and thank all the women who sent me positive vibes before my 2B surgery on Monday.  Dr. Massey lifted my left breast a little bit more to match my right side and did some revisions to my Right DIEP breast along with a right nipple.  I had lipo everywhere and I am so sore from the lipo.  How long will this pain last?  I am planning on going back to work teaching next week.  I am using the arnica cream and taking Bromelain pills.  Even though I am from the Charleston thread, I appreciate all of your support.  By the way...I was able to see your scrapbook on th NOLA website!  It really looks great!  You can tell they are proud of your heart-felt work!  Good work ladies!

Sandy B

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Thinking of you ladies!! Glad to hear from you Bennets!

• Sept 13 - bennets1 - Stage 2 DIEP surgery in Charleston by Dr. Massey.
    • Sept 14 - Dragonfly1976 - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. S., NOLA (Hope Lodge).
    • Sept 15 - Jaimieh - Revision and 1 nipple redo.

Sandy, I will be having appointments for pre-surgical and also the hospital one with Sally on Thursday (after arriving around 9:30AM) so not sure I will be available for the Hope Lodge thing, but I TOTALLY want to do dinner. So will keep in touch on that! 

• melindastn
    edited September 2010

My prayers are with Dragonfly and Jaimieh. 

Sue,  Sorry we won't get to meet on the 28th.  Guess I won't be feeling very social that day. lol!

Thanks again to everyone for helping me daily prepare myself for the big day.  Everything is in place now and I have ordered wedge pillows to ship to the hotel for the days after surgery.  I have always slept in the recliner at home for the first week or so.  Wish the hotels had recliners in the rooms. 

How many days are most people on pain meds after surgery?  13 days to go!

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Melinda, I had wedge pillows and shipped them to the Center. the Hotel would be better as then you don't need to transport them. The boxes are big and we had a time fitting it all in the limo! Those Wedge things really helped me. The upping and downing out of bed made much easier....  I had the Back Max Wedge I think it was.

• sallym
    edited September 2010

Ladies I am almost 1 month out from stage 2 ( I had it 8-20) and I still have a drain. It is giving off a yellowish/green fluid. But it is alot thicker than what the other drains have put out ( and I have had my shar of drains) Eve I am ready to get the duck tape out. Last night I had to go to the Country Club for a dinner and getting ready I thought of you and the little black dress. I ended up wearing pants and tucking the drain into the girdle.

Jaime I am thinking and praying for you. Wish I was there with you again, but only to comfort you.

Still have decided on the October trip. I got thinking that if I work the holiday ( columbus day) that is double time and a half so that would pay for my room. ( Using my noggin arent I) The airline said I have up until the flight leaves to change my ticket. Just as long as I am not a no show.

Hope everyone else is healing good.

• sallym
    edited September 2010

Oh ladies, Laura wanted a picture of the drainage coming out and I thought I would wait til I went to empty the drain to take the picture. And I laid down and the top came off the drain. Gross. All over my shirt. It is a good think I had on a thick shirt because it absorbed it otherwise it would have been all over the bedding. Sometimes I feel like I cant win

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2010

((((sallym)))))  so sorry... Isn't it kinda funny that with all we go thru - the surgeries, the treatments....and the things we hate the most are little bulbs of plastic??  So sorry and hope everything is fine!   Good luck to our ladies there now getting "boobicized" lol  Wish I could meet you ladies there Halloween, but I will be there the next week to "calm things down" after you all terrorize the city! hehe

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited September 2010

Hey All, I need some input. Since my stage 1 surgery on 07/29, I have noticed that I have a very large lump in the center of my abdomen right below my rib cage. It is about the size of a base ball and doesn't really hurt. At first I thought it was just my stomach bulging because I have had a lot of heart burn and discomfort, but my stomach is finally feeling a bit better and the bump is still there. Is this normal and will it go away?

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Lynn, I experienced something similar and it was a seroma.  Dr. D did some lipo to it a time or two, which he said removed some scar tissue.   Anyway, I talked to him about possibly going in and removing it, and he said to give it 9-10 months.  At nine months, I was massaging it (as was my habit), and got a bit vigorous with it one day when laying on my back.  I noticed a couple of weeks later that it was gone for the most part, so I think the massaging broke up scar tissue and may have caused the seroma to rupture, which is what I'd hoped for.  I still feel an artifact (likely some scar tissue) but nothing like what was once there.  I had a burning sensation sometimes when tighter pants pushed upward on it. Definitely ask your nurse about your situation, since it may be something totally different.  If it's what I had, perhaps it can be removed at stage II.  Since mine more or less resolved, nothing had to be done.

Ginnie, NOLA may really need you after we are done there! I'm sorry that I won't get to meet you.

Melinda, when my IVs were removed, I was done with pain meds.  I always had prescriptions to take home, but never took any of the pills.  I did my best to do a lot of walking as soon as I was released from the hospital and felt so much better that I didn't want the woozy head.

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes.

I am doing great and I am in only a wee-bit of pain.  I have another pretty nipple on my right side, I got lypo, lypo and some more lypo, and scar correction.

I got to meet dragonfly and she looks incredible.  I just feel bad because I was allergic to something and I had hives until they gave me IV benedryl.  After I had the benedryl you can forget talking to me.  I stutter and I forget my train of thought.  So Dragon if you read this I am going to come and visit you today if you are up for it. 

So my pre-op I asked Dr. S to look at x,y,z and I look like a marker attacked me but from what I see so far, things are fabulous.  I am having a hard time eating because my mouth is so dry but I am working on it :).  Okay I am off to count sheep. 

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Sheri, I would have that checked out. I just don't like any lumps. It's probably nothing, but after our diagnoses, no lumps can be thought of in a casual way! I was relieved to find out a lump I had was just fat necrosis.

Jamie, love the "attacked by blue marker" story. LOL. But, that is a good thing. :)  

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Sally, that sounds so not fun!  Sorry you are having continued problems.

I am having an issue myself. I have a rash at each incision line.  It started a couple weeks ago when I took out the last drain and wore the abdominal binder. It was just a tiny area at first of little pink itchy dots. It has been getting progressively worse and is now surrounding all my incisions and in patches instead of dots. Laura the PA first thought it was a reaction to the glue and had me peel off the glue and use a steroid cream. A few days later when it was worse Dr D looked at pictures and thought it was impetigo. I have been using an antibiotic cream for 3 days and it is worse still.  It itches like crazy. Anyone experience anything like this?

I really wish I could come to NOLA for the OCt trip and hang out with all you wonderful women, but I can't. I am going to try to plan stage 2 for the week bewteen Christmas and New Year.  Anyone else going then?