Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

I am not impressed with Dr Trahan, glad he didn't do my surgery!! He assumed my drain area was still numb on Friday and that it needed more stitches, he jammed the needle in my side and it hurt so bad. I of course damn near decked him and screamed at him too lol!!

The sharp piercing pain is still there today off and on, but no where near like yesterday. What do the drains have to be down to putting out, to be pulled at post op? 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly! I am sorry about your pain! I didn't get your text until late last night. I agree with 2T that it is probably sitting on a nerve. As for removing the drain, it really varies. Some had to have below 30cc in a 24 hour period, some 20cc for two days in a row... I think it varies by physician and procedure. Your best bet is to check with the center as you need to call them before pulling ANY drains. Good luck! When is your post-op?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2010

(((((((Dragonfly)))))))So sorry you are having that pain! Have you talked to anyone at the Center?  Healing thoughts coming your way....  Just4Ann. prayers and happy thoughts with be with you on your trip!

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

My post op is tomorrow at 3:00. I have taken 2 dulcolax, still nothing, and my stomach feels so bloated. I hope it clears up soon. Today has just been a long day, emotionally and physically!

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly....I am 2 weeks out from bilateral DIEP in Charleston. Still have both hip drains in. I have had the pain you are talking about since the day after surgery. It's like a hot knife cuts through me for about 10 seconds, then goes away. Mine isn't near either drain, it is just to the side of my bellybutton and down toward my pubic bone. I only feel it when moving, usually in and out of car, or up and down to sit. It is breathtaking for sure. I felt the same pain after my initial mx, which is why I'm not concerned. I feel it will taper off soon. Hope yours diminishes soon. It gets your attention...for sure!!! 

Joni

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2010

Okay, 5 more days until bilat sgaps. Can time move any slower? I dream about waking up from surgery and looking down at my previoulsly empty left mastectomy site.....empty for 2 years...and there she'll be. And on the right side my dangerous original breast will be removed and replaced with one that won't try to kill me. Waiting for a reply from Timtam to see photos...Thank you Timtam. And thank you to all of you for words of encouragement and realistic expectations. Can't wait to meet Dr Sullivan. Hope Fairway works out. I just want this done and done. Thank all of you a million times for every post I have scowered. I feel like I have an idea of what I may be in for.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly, please complain about Trahan.  I had a few complaints about him, too.  I think it is critical that we speak up about these things so the Center can remain top notch. They can't step in if they don't know.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2010

fourboymom: PM me and I'll send you a link to my SGAP pics. they were taken about 9 months post Stage 1. I just had stage 2 last week, so my incisions are new again. But it may give you an idea of what you could expect from stage 1.  My surgeons were Massey and Kline, Dr. Massey works with Dr. S sometimes when she's in NOLA.

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2010

Hope everyone is doing well.  I've kind of been following but not on a regular basis.  I hope to be having a bilat Sgap with Dr. Massey in NOLA on 10/27 but waiting to get the thumbs up from insurance.  Can anyone tell me what to expect time wise for that to happen?  It's just been over a week so far.  Lots to do - buy air tickets, get hotel, make arrangements for work, dog, etc. but don't want to do much until I know I'm covered by the insurance.  Ugh.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2010

General question... re: Trahan. I just assumed Trahan was always the "second surgeon" in the room during these procedures.. am I wrong?  I mean no one ever told me who the second one was going to be, I just eventually found out through insurance billing.

Dragonfly - I hope today is better for you... when are you going home?

Go Cincinnati!  Who Dey..! (fourboymom) I'm sure you'll do great.. !

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

ABOUT OCTOBER... REUNION(?).....half marathons

Sally M...........I am cursing myself.  Had a great package deal for end of Oct back in july/august but didn't book.......My oldest sister had a heart attack beginning of August, I got distracted, had to go out of town, Then she made a miraculous recovery-her LAD was 99% occluded and after a balloon and stint she's a new woman-who planned a HUGE halloween party/family get together Oct 30th......Soooo, last week I thought, Ok, I REALLY want to go to BOTH-I can puddle jump MSY to love field to LBB on saturday Oct 30th.... then my sister changed her party to 10/22....yay...?...No really it is...BUT yes those prices have gone up.  I think I'm still flying in to Nola thurs am 10/28 and now leaving sunday afternoon.  I think halloween would be a blast but I still haven't been approved off 11/1.  The other thing to remember is the saints game is 730 in nola at the superdome(traffic)....I am looking at flying out around 4 something.  Will purchase wed or thurs as prices typically lower then-I'm not brave enough to wait until a week or 2 before.  But rates fluctuate daily.

Nordy-I'm pretty sure I worked out more last week than the entire month of august--5 days-embarressing!  I walked 6 miles yesterday in 1.5 hrs.  It was fine but should I stop the pedicures?  bottoms of my feet intact but feel a bit weird.

Sorry dragonfly about the pains.

Juanita-yes, you really do need a helper-ESPECIALLY flying home.  I'm single, live alone and have always been VERY independent-absolutely HATE asking for help.  You REALLY need to take some time to plan.....not just have someone to help you fly home but when you get home you can't drive if you're still taking lortab or other pain meds and there is a weight and activity restriction.  Not following  puts you at greater risk for problems/complications.  I had someone stay w/ me a few days and then my neighbors came over to take out trash or whatever else I needed.  I was so incredibly relieved-like euphoric - post stage 1 and felt GREAT it was VERY hard me to follow the restrictions-my neighbor busted me at the grocery store(I had no business even if I did carry items in one at a time).  Finally about 2-3 weeks at home after hanging(very small) wall plaques I had a lot of pain in my L previously irradiated chest.  Saw the local BS and the radiologist pulled off about 60cc's of fluid from the L breast. SO! Do as I say not as I did!  For stage 2 I sent home a case of Cafe du monde coffee and then handed everyone who helped me a can to say thanks.

ok, sorry this is too long!  have a great Monday

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Holtbolt - I fly home tomorrow, get to PDX at 8:07! Kind of nervous, the flight from Chicago to PDX is 4 hours or so? I do have the stockings they gave me, those will look cute with my sundress lol :)

I know Sullivan told me Dr D or Trahan would assist in the surgery but not sure who ended up helping. 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Last night I found a huge mass ( like the size of a softball) under my right breast and it hurts bad. Could some of the fat have shifted down. I called the Center and am waiting for Laura to call me back.

Also, I spoke to Katie and she said I would have no problem to get the discount rate in October. YEAH. So as of this minute I think I am still going. ( Subject to change) Nordy cant wait to see you.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Sally I hope you mass is nothing ((hugs)).  I know you want to go in Oct. but you sure don't want to be at St. Charles. 

Okay can I just mention how much I love my new revisions....LOVE it even if I am still ouchie....  My ledge that I whined for months is gone and left in it's place is a stunning replacement.  Ugly nipple is well still a little ugly due to stitches but sticking out like it's pretty sister and as a bonus my tummy incision has been revised.  Now I just need to get to the gym to work on keeping this new shape. 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2010

Wow! It has been so ling since I have kept up with this thread (the last time was late July). I have been trying to get caught up for the last two days.  Seems like I have missed SO much. Too bad I scheduled my Stage 2 on Oct 8th with Dr. D. I will miss all of the fun at the end of October :( 

Can someone please tell me if "revisions" are to be expected after stage 2? What usually needs revision?  Is it the lipo, the lift or something else? Which procedure causes the most recovery time & swelling after stage 2?  My daughter is getting married Nov 20th & I though that I would be able to fit into a somewhat smaller size dress by then (Dr. D is going to reduce my DD's to D's or full C's :)  But after reading all of the posts, I am wondering if I will be the same or bigger 6 weeks post-op due to swelling everywhere? Any words of wisdom for me?

Melidastn: Bring a robe that snaps in the front (requires the least effort).  If you have any neck issues, bring your own pillow; theirs pillows are huge!  Those Pina Colada slushees are great for post-op sore throat!

Didn't mean to write a book :)

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

Well, my husband and I arrived in NOLA around 12:15 this afternoon.  They had a driver pick us up at the airport.  Got settled in at the Hope Lodge.  Was a little surprised that there is so little within walking distance of the Lodge.  I mean no convenience stores, fast food, nothing.  I know some of you had mentioned that there weren't many options but still a bit surprising.  We had to call a cab to take us 5 miles down the road to a grocery store.  But we stocked up and are ready for our stay.  Tonight they hosted a spaghetti supper at the lodge.  I would like to say it was delicious but unfortunately we fell asleep and slept right through dinner.  We ended up with a frozen pizza.  

We will be picked up in the morning for my appointment with Sally at the Center.  Since Dr. Sullivan is out of town he did a telephone consultation and will meet with me just prior to my surgery.  I also have an appointment with Dr, Von Almen tomorrow.  He is a gynocologist that they set me up with to do an oophorectomy.  My older sister was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian cancer and I started developing a lot of troubling side effects from the Tamoxifen so I opted for the surgery.  I had spoken with Dr. Sullivan about it and he said ordinarily they wait until Stage 2 for something like that but given my circumstances he agreed with my onocologist that the sooner the better.  So Wednesday I will have my oophorectomy, my stage 1, and my port removed all during the same surgery.  They have been so great about getting everything lined ups so I don't have to have separate surgeries for each.   

I will keep you posted. 

• Mauicarol
    edited September 2010

just4ann:  That is a lot to deal with but you are in the best possible hands.  The nurses are so attentive & will do everything they can to make you comfortable after surgery.

• Mauicarol
    edited September 2010

Does anyone remember the name of the scar cream that someone was raving about a few weeks ago? Or the website to purchase it?  Has anyone tried i?I have gone over the last 10 pages or so & can't find it.  Thanks!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2010

Mauicarol, are you thinking of the Tropol Active S?

Anne

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Mauicarol it is Arnica gel. I got mine at walgreens in New Orleans but I had to ask the pharmacist for it. You dont need a prescription but they had it behind the pharmacy counters

Just4ann, you are going through alot. Sending prayers your way

Looks like October is a go, I have an appt at the center on the 1st of November now.Cant wait to see everyone

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

Has anyone heard of using raw honey to minimize scarring?  I have read several articles about the healing properties of natural honey,  Just wondered if anyone has given it a try?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Just4ann, we are in NOLA at Hope Lodge, flying out tomorrorow. We are heading to my post op tomorrow at 10:30 I think.

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2010

Mauicarol, Thanks for the help with items to bring.  I have been searching clearance racks for moo-moo's to wear.  I don't want to spend a lot on clothes because I know I will not want to wear anything that will remind me this surgery once it is over.  Sort of like maternity clothes.Wink 

Dragonfly,  Glad you have this behind you and are getting to go home.  I woke this morning at 7am to realize that this time next week I will be rolling into surgery myself. 

Once again thanks to everyone for helping to prepare me.  Can anyone view the pictures on Timtam?  If so how?  I would like to see what I will wake up to. 

• Mauicarol
    edited September 2010

I hate that I can't remember! I would like to attibute my memory issues to chemo & 7 surgeries in 6 months but I think it is just me :(  I really don't know if the scar cream was Tropocal Active or Arnica Gel or something else. I just remember that someone on this thread (she had tried everything else) was so excited about it that she met with the president of the company that made it.  She included a link to the company & said that for the first two days (way past that now) anyone from this thread would receive a discount. I was thinking that it was a new product & that it was only available online. Does anyone remember?

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2010

Hi Mauicarol it was LouAnn & it is the Tropocal Active.

Here is the Link: TropolActive Skin Care Products - Youthful Skin that Lasts a Lifetime

Arnica Gel is for Bruising after surgery.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Maricol, the scar cream is TropolActive-S.& LouAnn (swastew) is the person who posted about it. The company owner had offered free cream to those willing to document their progress with photos. I am all set up to do that, but can't use the cream yet as I am currently suffering with a mystery rash that started at my incision lines and now covers the entire front of my torso! But LouAnn raved about it.

• Dejaboo
    edited August 2013

Melindastn- Soon you will be there & On the other side too!

It is very hard & Scary to wait for your surgery coming up.  The fear is worse then it is.

Dragonfly- Hope your flight hope goes good today.  How is the pain?  I hope better

My Pre op will be at 6am on Nov 2nd...Then Surgery at 7!  I told dh.  I see Dr D & then they bring me right down to the holding cell LOL

~~~~~~

For the Physical ladies...I have a question for you.

So I always had extreme SOB because of the hole in my heart (got that patched 21 months ago)...I started back at the gym 3 weeks ago...Doing the treadmill...I like an Incline.  Even at 15...I did not have SOB!!  I was so excited.  I added in the stair master & I have SOB still on it...But not anything like it was before.

So here is my Question.  When I was on the treadmill- on a 15 incline my Heart rate is 125-140.

Without the incline it stays around 100.  My resting pulse is 60-70.

When I switched to the Stairs & only on an easy level 2.  My heart rate was 215!

Isnt that kind of high?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

Pam, Sounds like a work out!! 

I am going to be in NOLA end of October for my "revisions" (someone asked what those are, and I think it just depends on the person, mine consist of various things here and there that sort of bother me). 

PJ, I fly in on 10/28 - I think I am going to miss you!! whaaaaah!

Tattoo in December!! ALSO, since I could not get the tattoo in the October trip, I booked an appt with Donn right before Christmas (12/21) and we're taking the family on a road trip! I have two daughters in college, and they are super excited to see NOLA at Christmas time. Also, wanted to get that tattoo in on this year's benefits, since I'll have maxed out, again!

I am very excited to think before the end of this calendar year, I will be DONE and a "NOLA Graduate", Tattoo and all!  Whooop!  

Spring... 

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2010

Sounds like a very fun time in Dec Spring.

The thing is- It wasnt a workout.  I had only been on the stiar master like 1 minute on a level 1 or 2 & my heart rate was already at 215...it pretty much stayed there to as low as 199.

I just thought it seemed high for barely doing nothing & was wondering about it.

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited September 2010
    Mauicarol - RE: the scar cream - it is Tropol-active-S. Go to www.dermetrx.com to order - under promotion code put in CRBS and you will receive a discount! Personally, the product has worked wonders for me and the redness of my scars - Best of luck!