Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

Pam - 215 is high... especially considering that most professionals in the health care field consider 220 to be the maximum heart rate. I can only attribute the increase over walking an incline to the fact that you have to lift your leg higher with each step. Anytime you use the larger muscle groups (glutes, hamstrings, quads) to a greater capacity, it will cause your heart rate to rise. They are big muscles requiring a great amount of oxygen to work at capacity... and blood flow (pumped by the heart of course) is the only way they can get that oxygen. I would say start out small, you certainly don't want your heart rate at 215. You can always check back on the stairs in a week or two and see what comes of it.

Spring - I don't think you will miss PJ - I think she is racing on the 30th still... right Jenn? 

Okay, so my friend that was all set to have reconstruction on the 29th was just told by our insurance (yes, she has the same insurance as I do, who I had to battle with to get things covered) that she has to have a "local" reconstructive surgeon give her an opinion first and that they are only going to do what is most cost effective - essentially stating that they get to choose her type of reconstruction. She is beyond furious and frustrated and has had to cancel her surgery while waiting to get into another surgeon (who is charging her 400 OOP just for a second opinion). I have referred her to my local PS as she has seen the work that Dr. S does and does not particularly care for the pre-auth team that our insurance uses, so I am hoping that she will help out and that my friend can get an appointment with her. It makes me so angry, because it really is against the law for them to try to decide what type of reconstruction a person has. It is written out that treatment and reconstruction is to be decided between the "patient and the attending physician", which in this case is Dr. S. This is such bullsh*t. I wish I had a lot of $$ laying around, I would hire an attorney for her... Anyone with any words of advice? I sent them a book worth of articles when I was battling them... maybe she needs to do the same!

*edited for spelling... what am I in the 3rd grade?!

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2010

Thank you, swastew, amym159 & dejaboo.  I will order some! 

Is there no one going to NOLA around Oct 8th besides me? There doesn't appear to be according to the list above. There is a big gap before & after. So sad :(

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2010

Amym159:  I think I remember you mentioning the rash a few pages back (small itchy bumps?)  I have a similar reaction whenever I use Neosporin or any kind of petroleum based ointment on a wound.  Tiny itchy bumps that spread.  Do you think you might have an allergy too?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

Pam, was your heart pumping like crazy? I wonder if it was just a misreading on the machine.

Nordy. Insurance can make a person crazy. 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2010

Pam, what kind of heart rate monitor were you using? A strap on, or the kind on the handles of the machine? The machine ones are not the most accurate. A few skipped beats, and it doesn't know how to calculate. Try counting your pulse yourself to compare?

Anne

• Nordy
    edited September 2010

Anne - very true. I wasn't even thinking that. The HR monitors on the machines are never the best. The personal ones with the chest straps are the most accurate.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Mauicarol:

It seems to be an allergic reaction to something, though it's not clear what. It started with a very small area of itchy red bumps above my abdominal incision a few weeks ago. The bumps gradually started appearing all around the incisions and drain sites and then turning into large red patches. It now covers most of the front of my torso! They've had me on antibiotics, antifungals, and I started steroids yesterday. Those seem to be working (thank goodness!) since it hasn't spread anymore today and the intense itching is better. I'd sure like to know WHAT I am allergic to, so I can avoid it with stage 2. Dr T told me they deal with lots of rashes and sometimes never figure out the cause. He mentioned that one possible (though rare) cause is the internal sutures. 

By the way, I wanted to comment on the follow-up issue, since this was a concern of many. I have found I have had to be persistent most of the time to get someone to get back to me, then once I am in contact with someone the attention is of the caliber we all experience there.  I can tell from a couple comments made that they are aware of the dissatisfaction with follow-up. And I know that Laura (the PA) is there to help with this. She is particularly responsive, which is great, though there have been a few times I really just wanted to talk with one of the Drs. 

Some things I discovered that may be helpful to others:

E-mail seems better than phone calls.

Be really persistent if they don't get back to you.

If you call after hours (nights/weekends) you can talk to the person on call-sometimes a doctor, sometimes the PA.

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited September 2010

Nordy--sorry about your friend what a frustration to have her surgery cancelled because of insurance issues. One thing that helped me is that I had letters from my breast surgeon, oncologist and local PS who all said variations on the fact that I needed microvascular surgery because I was active and shouldn't have my muscles cut, had a number of sensitivities and did not think I would respond well to an implant, and that while fully aware of local options I had done research as to what was best for me and that it would be psychologically inadvisable to do any other option (-:  Lots of luck!

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2010

Can anyone tell me how many drains I will have after a stacked free flap?  He is taking tissue from my adomen and hips.  I would like to have something to hold them all that will work well.

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

Had my meeting with Sally at the hospital today for my CTA scan.  That was the strangest test I guess I have ever had.  You literally feel absolutely every square inch of skin surface all at the same time.  Definitely different.  But what a beautiful hospital!  I have been in a lot of hospitals but never one like that.  It was absolutely pristine.   Sally gave us the tour and answered any questions we had.  They all make such an effort to help you feel comfortable.  My husband will be able to stay with me while I am in the hospital.  They have a Murphy bed for him in the room and Sally said they will provide his meals for him during my stay so he doesn't even have to leave to get something to eat if he doesn't want to.  I think that is fabulous!  They have truly thought of everything.

Then I went over to the Center to meet with the girls there.  I got to meet with everyone I had been dealing with.  It was nice to put a face with the names.  Then it was time for my "photo shoot:.  I had planned to post photos on the timtam site but  since the upgrade the first of September I haven't been able to access it.  I have sent a PM so hopefully I will be able to do that soon.  All in all it was a great experience and I feel every blessed to be able to have the opportunity to have my surgery done in NOLA.

After I finished up at the Breast Center I had to go meet with Dr. Von Almen.  He was really nice.  I hope everything goes well with my oophorectomy.  I am a little concerned about that but he agreed that it is very important to do it now considering all of my background history and current circumstances.  I just don't want to do anything that is going to jeopardize my reconstruction.  Although all doctors agree that should not be an issue, I am still a little worried.  

There is a pizza party at the Hope Lodge tonight as well as bingo.  I am looking forward to the opportunity to mingle with the other guests before my surgery tomorrow.  Everyone is so nice here. They have a library with movies and games and books so you can alway have something to keep you occupied.     

Dragonfly, sorry I didn't check the posts until after I got back this afternoon.  I would have liked to have tried to get together.  I hope everything went great with your follow-up and you are feeling much better.   

My driver is suppose to be here at 5:30 in the morning so I can be at the hospital at 6:00.  Surgery is scheduled for 7:00.  I will post again tomorrow if I get the opportunity.  If anyone has any suggestions for how to be able to access the website so I can post pictures please let me know.  

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Ann~ I am glad that you feel comfortable with everything.  They will take excellent care of you and your DH. 

Melinda~ I didn't have the stacked free flap but I believe you will have 6 drains.  2 for the breast, 2 for the hip and 2 for the abdomin. 

Amy~ I had a weird rash prior to stage 2 (the first time) and I had to go get local clearance stating that I didn't have shingles.  I didn't and they still do not know what caused it. 

So I am still healing and moving slowly but I am feeling pretty good.  I had a routine GYN appt. today and it still cracks me up when other doctor's see Dr. S's work and then want to see all of it.  My GYN was amazed with my good nipple and just kept asking how did he do that. 

• Springtime
    edited August 2013

Melinda, I had that surgery - 2 flaps per boob, and I had a slew of drains. I think I started with 2 in each breast, 2 tummy and 2 butt, plus 2 dopplers and 2 onQ pain balls. There were 12 things initially. I felt like a BORG! But never fear, day by day they start dropping off. 

I put 2-3 of the drainage "bulbs" into each of the onQ pain ball (black) pouches - they looked better to me than the cotton pouchy things they give you in the hospital.  Those things just look like fanny packs, so very "non-medical" looking. 

Good Luck Ann!!!!  You are in the best of hands! 

Here's the latest ladies...

• Sept 22 - Just4Ann - Stage 1 DEIP, Dr. S., NOLA (SCSH)
    • Sept 24 - Mchas - Stage 2, Dr. D., St Charles Surgical.
    • Sept 24 - FourBoyMom - Left delayed sgap (had radiation) and Right mastectomy with immediate sgap. Dr. S. NOLA.
    • Sept 28 - melindastn, NOLA. I am scheduled to have my implants removed and reconstruction with Dr. Dellacroce
  • Elaine586
    Elaine586 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2013

Journey, I am in the exact same position. Waiting for insurance approval , have a Nov 9th date set. The airfare wasn't bad , but it is going up! So much to do. The waiting is driving me crazy. Hope you get an answer soon!

Dragonfly, thank you for sharing your experience. Hope the pain is gone soon!

Jamie, so happy that you are so happy!! Continued good healing.

Thank you all so much for all the great advise and insights . It's making it a little less scary.

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2010

Just4ann   Good luck tomorrow!!! Sending prayers for good test results. Good for you for being proactive.

Great idea about the Cafe du monde as thanks for people who help you out once you get home. Don't know what that is but it sounds delicious.  I fly out tomorrow evening for bilat sgaps. This thread has been amazing. My head is in a fog. I'm sure if I forget anything they will have whatever I need. Okay, loose clothing, snap front moomoo. They provide the pressure garments and bra right? Wow, a bra...for two boobs.

Again, this thread has been so helpful. Thank you Jamie!  I feel much less overwhelmed because of all the info you ladies have shared. I'll keep you posted. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Ann, I'm just checking in and am most likely writing this too late for you to see it before surgery, but I had Dr. von Almen for some pelvic floor repair, along with Dr. Cheng for my hyst/ooph and Dr. D for breast revisions, all in one day.  I found him to be very kind and caring, and even went back to see him a year later for a re-check.   For the picture forum access, you should probably PM Timtam. 

One of my vendors flew Southwest to the bridal trade show in Las Vegas last weekend and informed me that I'm in the Spirit magazine ad for the Center this month, so I'll have to ask LouAnn for a copy or two. 

Melinda, you'll wake up with your drains placed in cotton pouches that attach to an elastic belt with velcro.  You'll be given an extra belt so that you can shower with it if necessary and then hang it out to dry until the next day, but I like to loop my drains onto a lanyard for showering. 

Mauicarol, I've had several revision surgeries and they can include dog ear revision, scar revision, lipo, fat injections, improving symmetry, adjusting size, re-dos of nipple recon, lowering the abdominal incision and many other things.  Our docs are so good to us that they've been known to remove moles, revise scars elsewhere on the body, etc. 

Amy, I hope that steroid quickly clears up the bumps and itchiness. 

Spring, you're going to beat me to being a grad because I will still need my tattoos re-done and probably won't get to go back before the end of the year for that.  I'm swearing to myself that this just has to be the last surgery, or Dr. D is going to think that I'm the patient who will never go away!   Actually, he probably already does think that.  I had no idea that I would be having so much surgery in NOLA, but my need to erase all of the artifacts that my first surgeon's mess created has overridden all rationality.   I gotta quit though, or I'll be 92 and still walking around with scars that need to fade!

Jaimie, so glad to hear how happy you are with your revisions!!!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2010

I've never been a flasher, but I'll show off my "results" in a heartbeat.  My primary is amazed, as well as the BC and onc.   I visited my primary last week for an ekg.  Her nurse put on the electrodes and saw my scars.  She asked me if I'd recently had surgery, so I gave her the rundown.  She was very curious and asked tons of questions, especially being amazed and how real everything looks, since I was able to keep nipples.  Before any of this, I'd have been more modest about it.  Similar to having children, the modesty is all gone.  I'd nearly talk to strangers about it if it were to come up :)

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Here's a great idea for hiding and holding drains!  The Pink Pocket

• Nordy
    edited September 2010

KC - I DO talk to strangers about it! I told the guy that sold me my running shoes all about how my boobs were made from flaps from my butt... LOLLOLLOL.... He couldn't stop staring... giggle... Of course I did not flash him, come on... !

Ann - You will be awesome tomorrow!!! Positive thoughts your way. 

Jaimie - I am so glad you are feeling well and are happy with your results!

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Oh BTW, the dom. is now a new outfit (which I do not like) and the drain pocket is also new.  It is now a very pretty blue (satin like) pouch and it had buttons that adjust on the size.  I liked the look of the pocket but I think I like the velcro better.  I got beat up by one nurse trying to put the belt on. 

• melindastn
    edited September 2010

I just ordered 5 pairs of pink pockets.  Thanks for the link.  I think I am dreading the drains more than any other part of the surgery.  I remember the two I had from the mascetomy and I thought that was a hassle. 

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Jamie, what is the new dom outfit like, and why don't you like it? I mean, I never met anyone who "liked" the old one, but is this one worse?

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited September 2010

Having been posting but I've kept up with the tread!  I have a question now:

Has anyone found a good way to get rid of the hair on your new nipples? 

Glad everyone is doing good! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2010

fwiw... if anyone really doesn't like the garment you get from the hospital, and don't mind spending extra $$ for something different... the Marena garments are much more comfortable. Although I didn't hate the Veronique one I got in the hospital, the Marena one I got has smoother fabric (tighter weave) and a little more give when I bend. My skin definitely likes it better. I can foresee wearing it for months, the other one--not so much.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

Well I made it home finally, thank goodness! Thanks to weather in Chicago, we were delayed getting in, missed our connecting flight, got put on a 3 hour later flight, made it home to PDX about 11:30pm instead of 8:00pm, and they lost my suitcase!! Hey we made it home safe though :) United just called and they are delivering my suitcase today so that's good! Pain is less today but I am exhausted, think it was from the long day yesterday. One day at a time...Stage 2 certainly doesn't sound tempting right now, lol :) I'll have to figure out all the costs for it too since Mercy Flights only pays for 1 flight a year, but with cobra costs and deductables I want it done this year, I've got time to figure it all out though!

Came home to see my girl, my Dad had cleaned up my patio, replaced some burnt out light bulbs and the most amazing bouqet of flowers, and cheesecake bars! Great welcome home, it's been an adventure for sure but I know it will be worth it in time!! 

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Spring the new one has a larger opening but it caused the legs to slide down. So when I sit down my inner thighs that have been lipo'd get squished out the crotch hole. The squishing pinches my new thighs. It also has foam at the zipper which made me itch like crazy. So my vote is that I do not like it :( but they couldn't find an old one for mr and I threw them away. I had to wear them for so long that they were all stretched out.

So I am in spanx. I sure hope that is enough.

• melindastn
    edited September 2010

tweezers.  I remember the first time I found a hair.  I laughed until I cried.

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly~ Glad you got home, safe and sound.  I hope your pain continues to go away quickly. 

I had to call the center today because I am not sleeping thanks to the HORRIBLE new dom. outfit and they called me back today.  I am now in spanx and I am just a much happier person.  I couldn't sit and was just miserable in the outfit and when Celeste called she wanted to know what I thought of it so my vote was casted :).  I have 8 more days and then I will be removing my nipple stitches since my body reacts weird to stitches.  I am just happy that I decided to have this revision because I now feel after I heal I will be ready for my tats.  So tomorrow I will be calling "tatoo Vinnie" and setting my appt up. for early Dec./Late Nov. 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2013

LOL!!  OMG.. I never thought I'd hear anyone say there could be a WORSE Dom outfit than the black Dom from hell... does the new one have the little pink "deceptive" flower in the front to make you think it's nice and sweet?

• SandyinSoCal
    edited September 2010

Jaimie, I'm glad you let Celeste know and hopefully they'll switch back before I get there.   I saw my surgical oncologist today and she did not know about my upcoming surgery, but said "You need to have this low spot filled in with fat".   So, she confirmed that I do "need" to have more surgery.  LOL  It seems that the last fat you gain is the first that you lose, and by losing weight, I've apparently lost a lot of what was injected.  At least I have more to give, so that won't be a problem.  The date is quickly approaching, and I still need to plan to go back for my tattoos to be redone so I can call myself a grad like Spring will be in December.

• Jaimieh
    edited September 2010

Oh the new one doesn't have the "pertty" little flower, it just has some nice foam padding at the zipper seams.  Well I am here to tell you IMO it sounds like a great idea but it isn't a great idea.  I sure hope they change it back because the new one was even more uncomfortable than the old one.