Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2010

I concur, with holtbolt (aka hot butt) I also never thought we could get a WORSE dom outfit! Who knew! Ladies who've already been through stage 1 or more, better hold on to your old DOMs!!! LOL!!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2010

seriously... you guys should try a Marena garment. medical grade, same styles as the other brands. and miles more comfortable. better than a regular "control" garment because the compression lasts longer, it doesn't stretch out. and the fabric is antimicrobial so it stays clean, even after wearing for days.

I really appreciate that the docs try to make our lives easier by providing the garments, but they don't have to wear them.  Marena is very wearable.

http://marenagroup.com

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010

Well, my old garments had better be too big!   I once told Dr. D that I was going to keep coming back until I could wear a size small!  But I don't think I could wear one "for days".  I washed mine daily, switching between the two I was given.  Washer and dryer, and they were just fine.  In fact, after my first surgery in NOLA, I was in a garment for 10 weeks and never had a stretching problem.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2010

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I don't really have the time or patience (or quarters) for that much washing!  I'll probably wash this out once a week, maybe every few days depending on how active I've been.

By "regular control garment" I meant things like Spanx, thigh shapers, etc. They do stretch out over time. I went that route after stage 1 but I found I had to buy a lot of them and change them up more often. This time I decided to just invest in the right garment at a smaller quantity. Totally worth it.

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2010

I am in the waiting room to see dr S for my pre op. Freaking out a bit, but in a good way. this place is beautiful

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

So I survived the first night although I didn't get much sleep.  The pain hasn't been too bad.  Of course I have been on pain meds up until about 30 minutes ago.  We will see how it goes without the meds.

Everything looks great.  I asked they nurse if there was some type of clear tape over my boobs because they felt kind of slick and super smooth.  She said it was because they are so firm that the tight skin feels very smooth. 

Had a coughing fit this morning.  That was pretty bad.I get to lose the cath in another hour or so.  That will be nice although I am dreading having to walk to the bathroom.  I moved from the bed to the chair this morning.  It was terrible pain.  I had to stay bent over and scoot my feet.  I hope that improves fairly quickly.  I am anxious to get moving.  

Keep sending those positive thoughts.   

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2010

Prayers coming your way Ann!!!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

Ann - thinking of you today :) I am only just over a week out from my DIEP with Dr S. Some days are better than others. I don't have a lot of patience so I am feeling frustrated today at how sore and slow moving I still am! I know, it takes time just trying to remind myself of that. The center and all the people there are truly amazing!

Jeskachi - What marena item would you recommend, they are kind of pricey, but I feel like I want something for my stomach, now after stage 1, but also wish the item I buy now would work after stage 1. Does that make sense? Should I wait on buying something til then? 

• Springtime
    edited September 2010
    jeskachi - which of all the choices on the Marena site did you end up with?
  • just4ann
    edited September 2010

Just finished a good nap.  Had my cath removed and my iv pulled.  I am making progress.  I was able to go to the bathroom without too much misery.  It is the getting up and down that is rough.  But once I am up I feel pretty good.  I can almost stand up straight.  I will be getting up and moving around after dinner.  More to come.

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

Just finished my first lap around the hall.  It wasn't so bad.  I am still really slow but I was able to stand upright for the duration.  I have a binder around my lower incision which helps a lot.  Overall I think I am doing great.  I still haven't heard from timtam.  I am taking pictures and will post them as soon as I can.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

I'd like to know the reason some have binders and some don't? I was given one at discharge, but when I went to my post op Celeste said don't wear it til my drains come out.

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

My nurse put the binder on me to help with the pain when getting up and down.  I have to undo it when I am sitting.  I guess the treatment varies according to the needs of the patient.  They seem to go out of their way to make you as comfortable as possible.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Yeah the pain is intense, once I got up I stayed in my chair or walked the rest of the time. Rarely laid in the bed cause it hurt so much to get in and out.

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2010

HI Everyone. I had the Diep with single mast. 3 weeks ago. For the most part, I feel pretty good but get tired as expected. I was just wondering, is it normal for breast to feel a little lumpy toward armpit? I will call center tomorrow but thought I would bounce off you girls first. I did have sentinal node biopsy so not sure if that could be to blame. Also wondering if I could have strain the area or pulled a muscle trying to pull myself up out of bed. I hate to be a worry wart but just living so far away you want to make sure everything is ok.

I am scheduled for stage 2 beginning of Dec. Are they really that generous with lipo/sculpting. My booty has lots too spare. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

• Mauicarol
    Mauicarol Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2010

Amy159:  The only way I figured it out was to try neosporin on healthy skin (the inside of my wrist). I applied 2x a day.  After just a few days I noticed the tiny itchy bumps. When I stopped using they went away. I had the same reaction with erythromycin ointment. It is worth a try?

• Mauicarol
    edited September 2010

just4ann:  I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. Each day will get better.  If you are on vicodin or percocet, don't forget to ask for stool softeners (I'm just sayin'.......:)

• Mauicarol
    edited September 2010

jaimieh: Thanks for giving your opinion about the new :dom" girdle. Hopefully they will listen to patients' opinions. 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2010

Mamaluch, My breast were very lumpy for a long time after Stage 1, to be honest I dont remember when they softened up but they did. But remember each of us are different so you need to call the center, they know you better than we do. Also, they are very liberal with the lipo, I am large and I dont know a spot where they DIDN'T do lipo. I  am just 5 weeks out from stage 2. and my stomach is flat but I need to get to a gym to work on the rest.  Hope that helps. And BTW my college roommate was from Bridgewater. She is in NYC working now. I am in upstate NY.

• Mariposa109
    Mariposa109 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2010

Hello ladies,

I just wanted to share that I heard back from NOLA saying my insurance said they would cover the surgery, so now I have to wait for a surgery date. Just curious about how long does that normaly take? I'm still nervous that insurance is going to say something different once they ask for the official approval!  

Ann, I'm glad to hear that your healing is coming along quickly.

Dragronfly, I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Mari

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2010

Thanks Sallym, it helps knowing that its probably normal but will call just to check things out. Just worried that I pulled something. I have lived in Bridgewater most of my life. How old is your friend?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Mari that is awesome!!! If you don't get a date in the next couple days I would call them. Keep us posted :) I am feeling ok, just slow going but patience is not my strong suit lol

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

HI Girlies! 

I am now officially 1 year plus Nola(stage 1)......Last Sept 22 was when I traded UP and of course had the best medical experience ever.!..............(I have had only 2 stages- as I had skin and nipple sparing-BUT I will probably need a tweak sometime in the next year)

Just purchased my air and Hotel for end of Oct...woo hoo!  VERY ready to go somewhere- and not for surgery.

I fly to Nola 10/28 9am-ish and staying at Roosevelt then home 10/31 at 4 something.  Planning to do the half marathon, on 10/30, probably /mostly walking for me......but that is OK!  We have 4 hours!  Anyhoo my most recent trainee at work will probably come for the half...as soon as her divorce is final, thurs night ...so I guess I'll be hosting.... and where better?

Nordy can we still share the cab sat am at 0530? to the conv center?  Hope to see/chat before then too....but eeks we're 5 weeks away!  Still sorting out the training schedule and sock situation...It will be OK!

Better run

just for Anne Dr. S and your plan sounds so impressive.  you sound great!

xoxo, goodnight, jjd

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2010

FOURBOYSMOM - Prayers to you today for a wonderful outcome.  Let us know how you are doing when you can.

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2010

You can get new Marena compression garments on eBay - overstocks and such directly from the official liquidator of the Marena Group.  eBay seller name is "Marenagroup".  The selection and sizes are very limited - but I love thigh length girdle they have up for sale now - it is a Stage 1 (immediately after surgery) garment with zipper sides and opening at crotch (very similar to the Veronique garment/aka "Dom").  You can find the items by doing a search on "New Marena Compression Girdle".  The items come brand new in factory sealed Marena packaging.  It is a great deal!!! (I am a multiple time buyer from them).   Liz

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

Having a bit of a rough morning so far.  I am so sore and achy.  I took a pain pill about 20 minutes ago so I am hoping that will give me some relief.  I still haven't had a BM which I am sure contributes to how I feel.  I get to take a shower in a little while.  That will feel great.  

Not much appetite this morning.  Just feel kind of blah. Hopefully things will improve as the day progresses.  

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2010

Fourboysmom and Just4ann,

My prayers are with you both.  I am starting to pack my suitcases now.  Guess you will be out of the hospital by the time I go in.  I am getting really nervous and excited.  Just4ann, what part of TN are you from?

• Springtime
    edited September 2010

Ann, there will be ups and downs, and yes, you will be relieved when you can do a BM! they have suppositories to help with that if you need extra help. I ALWAYS DO!! They work like in 30 min or so. I found sometimes if I overdid the day before, the next day could be a down day. And you need to figure out how much pain med to take with the constipation, etc. I swear by Myrilax personally! I start prior to surgery and just keep going until I am off the pain meds. Between colace, Myrilax and the suppositories, my butt has somehow survived, but just barely!

Mari, Call and email, and call. If you keep calling, someone will get back to you. Take it from someone who calls and emails until I hear back! :)  Very nice, but persistent! That is great about your insurance!  

PJ!!! We will overlap!!! Maybe Nordy too?? Can I see you ladies somehow?? Will you both be in on Thursday night, 10/28?  I know that Sandy and Minn will also be in then and we were planning to meet for dinner somewhere. I think Sandy had a place in mind. We need to plan! I don't want to miss you girls! (After all this time online together!)

PJ - I am adding your dates to the listing above. Nordy, if you are going then too, I can also add yours. I know it is not surgery, but I want to keep it organized. ha. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Fourboymom & Mchas~ I hope all has gone well today.

Okay so I had to go back to the nasty Dom outfit :(  The spanx just was not enough compression for me so I am back in the Dom but I am going to sleep in the spanx because I can't get comfortable in the dom.  I am supposed to only have it on until Wednesday but I am sure it will be on for longer for "support" and I will just ween myself off. 

Okay now for nipple question.  Last time at 22 days out my nipple stitches dissolved my skin (sorry for the gross description).  This time I am supposed to wear the plastic protector until tomorrow and then change to just the nipple dome.  I am to remove the stitches this coming Wednesday and I am thinking of wearing the plastic protector until the nipple heals.  I cannot have a nipple failure this time.  I am just trying to be super protective...do you think this would work ??  I just plan on taping the plastic protector back on until it all heals.  I already have one area that was injected that has stitches that is irritated from the stitches.  I just hate allergies....

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Thinking of you today Melissa! Hope all went well:)