Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

Finally feeling a little better.  I had to give up the Loritab since it is so hard on the liver.  My liver numbers have been out of whack for a couple of months now and I didn't want to make them worse.  They tried my on demeral but it did nothing for me.  Then they gave me a shot of tramadol.  That has helped a lot.  I guess I will stick with the tramadol.  

Still no luck with the BM.  I have had 6 stool softners and a cup of warm prune juice (yuck),  My tummy is just rumbling and grumbling,  I know I would feel better if I could just go.  I may have to give in and take the suppository route.  

I did get to take a shower.  If felt great.  I have such little hair that it was plastered to my scalp after missing my shower yesterday.  I have been taking pictures.  Timtam sent me the information to get to the other link.  I plan to work on that later.  I will let you know when I actually get to post some pictures,    

Melinda, I am from Columbia, TN.  That is about 40 miles south of Nashville.  

Good luck to the next group coming through.  (((hugs))) to all. 

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2010

just4ann: it took me 8 days from surgery, thought I would die from a blockage. They had me take Miralax and a stool softener plus my mom had me eat some prunes and drink prune juice (but not warm --ewww, bad enough). I was barely eating anything but salad or fruit, afraid I would explode. I think the suppository got it started(slowly). The next two days I pretty much cleaned out. It's a lot on your body plus all the meds. Good luck. I feel your pain.

• mamaluch
    edited September 2010

Springtime: can you add me to the list for Dec. 2- Stage 2 Dr. Dellacroce

Thanks for keeping this list running. You ladies have all helped me more than you can ever imagine and I hope someday to meet some of you. So much great advice, compassion and humor when you really need it.. I truly feel we are in the best of hands.Bless you all! :) Laughing

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited September 2010

I am waiting to have my consultation scheduled but have already checked with my insurance company and it doesn't seem likely that they will authorize St. Charles. Have any of you had Dr. Sullivan perform reconstruction at another hospital? I'm anxious to figure out how this may work out!

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

Yea Rah! Finally success.  I feel soooo much better.  The tramadol has the pain totally under control.  My tummy is no longer rumbling and cramping. I feel like a new person.  I think I will just lay back and take a little nap for a while.  

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2010

Toomuch

My insurance wouldn't pay at St Charles either.  I had my surgery at Fairway Hospital about 5 weeks ago. I was very happy with the care I received.

Amy

• mamaluch
    edited September 2010

toomuch: I had an uphill battle with my insurance company. Candy and Vicky at the Center were both EXTREMELY helpful helping me work through my insurance problems.It took awhile,pretty much the whole summer but in the end I was able to go to St Charles and I received the VERY BEST of care. Please talk with them before you throw the towel in. The insurance companies will make it as hard for you as possible, they wear you down. Good Luck!!

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2010

What's typical for the drains after the DIEP? I had mine on the 14th, still have both hip/ab drains and they're putting out a decent amount 40-60cc or so a day?

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

Dragonfly~ It's normal with the amount you are putting out.  I know they suck but hang in there and they will soon be a thing of the past. 

Ann~ I am glad that you feel better.

I survived my first day back to work, too bad the infant that I was photographing wanted no part of me. 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2010

JustrAnn and Melindastn  I am in Murfreesboro.  Maybe us TN ladies can all get together at some point....

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010
    Thanks Jaimie :) I know they're doing what they're supposed to do but grrr...Smile
  • Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2013

Hi Ladies. It seems I am to be the bearer of crappy news... which I volunteered for, but it is really hard for me to say what I am about to say. Some of you may already know this, but our own lovely Breastcancer Diva - who was my partner in crime in NOLA for stage 2 has been diagnosed with stage IV metastatic recurrance. She has been having a time of it with fluid on her lung and has undergone a couple of procedures to drain it off. She wanted me to wait until she had updated her blog to let everyone know - as of today it has been updated. Please send out all your positive thoughts, prayers, oms, dances, chants, wishes, and anything else you can come up with to give her strength and help her on this journey. Actually, she is already strong... but everyone can always use more strength! Let's help lift her up!

BCDiva - I love you, I am thinking of you, I mean it when I say I will come and help you if you need it. Tell J the same so if either of the two of you need anything... You know that we are here for you and want to see you back dancing the Samba ASAP! (((((((hugs))))))) 

Edited to try and find the right words... which I don't think I ever really did. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2010

duh... I guess it would be helpful if I would post her blog site...

www.breastcancerdiva.com
  • Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2010

((((BCDIVA))))  Surrounding you in love and healing light!!! 

• mamaluch
    edited September 2010

BCDiva- Hugs and prayers coming your way

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2013

Hi Spring-

I got this one for the first two weeks: http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-85-1st-stage-girdle-with-short-legs.aspx

And the "second stage" version of the same one for 3+ weeks.  I knew I wasn't going to have any knee lipo or anything done higher than my flanks, so I chose the "girdle" vs. the "body suit". But I think it just might be personal preference.  I also thought the one without suspenders would be more wearable under clothes.

This one is the most similar to the Veronique garment you get in the hospital:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-34-1st-stage-suit-with-suspenders-and-short-legs.aspx 

With the exception of not having separating zippers, but that's more a convenience for the OR team anyway.  If you have knee lipo they put you in one that goes just below the knee.

What I've learned through my research is... there are stage 1 and stage 2 garments (not our 1 & 2).  The stage 1 garment is designed to be easy to put on and takes swelling into consideration. After the first couple of weeks it's actually a little big, intentionally.  The stage 2 garments have fewer or no zippers (so more comfortable) and they are a little smaller, to give you the same amount of compression even after you lose some swelling.

Pay attention to the sizing, definitely measure yourself first. It says to go up a size if you're between sizes... don't do that. If you are literally between sizes go to the smaller size.  I went up and it was way too big. Generally, the size will be one larger size than what you'd buy off the rack for workout clothes (e.g., I wear L in workout pants, XL in Marena).  I think Marena and Veronique sizing are similar, if you already have a Veronique garment.

Also... Liz's suggestion of checking ebay for the style you want is a good one, I got a Marena bra there. But if you have any doubts about size order from Marena, they ship fast for free and have a good return policy.

Hope this helps!

-Brenda

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2010

Effin Cancer! (((((((((((((((BC DIVA))))))))))))))))))))))

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

It's me again.  I feel great this morning.Slept very well last night.  Of course I was up at 4 but that is typical for me.  The two drains in the boobs are slowing way down and will probably be pulled today. I am sorry to hear about our sister developing stage IV.    My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family,  

So I don't have any type of compression garments.  Does that come later or what?  I thought I would have them from the beginning.  I just have a very soft, stretchy bra with hooks in the front. Nothing else.

I am able to get up and down by myself now, It still hurts some but I no longer cry out in pain.  I still have several places where the skin has broken down as often happens to me when I have any kind of tape on me.      I am still waiting on access to the timtam site so I can post pictures.  I will let you know when that happens.

Dr. Sullivan just stopped by. Everything looks great. He said he will let me leave tomorrow. But will have the two breast drains pulled today.  And that I will probably be able to lose the others on Wednesday.  That will be such a relief.    

(((BIG HUGS ALL AROUND))) 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2010

Prayers for BCDiva.

Ann,

Great hearing you are doing better.  I am packed and getting ready to head to Lebanon to spend the night and then to New Orleans on Sunday. 

I can't believe it is so close now.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2010

BCDiva - thinking of you and praying for you.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2010

BCDiva- Tons of prayers for your. 

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2010

Thank  you, dear Nordy, for posting.    You did a much better job of finding the right words than I could.   I tried a couple of times, but it just didn't sound right.

Thank you all for the hugs, good wishes and prayers.... and the declaratory statements of what we think of this beast!    Effin' cancer.....   well, you picked the wrong diva THIS time!

The last couple of weeks have been difficult and I expect that on Monday my onc will tell me he wants to start chemo, and not wait to see what the Femara might do.    That's ok.   

Springtime - I have cancelled my October 28th appointment in NOLA.    Once we get this under control, I'll plan to go back in the spring.   

I'm often lurking, even if I'm not posting, and wish the best for all of my NOLA sisters!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2013

(((((((Robyn))))))) I tried emailing you through your website, but it came back as undeliverable. I loved meeting you the end of March the night before my Stage 1. You are in my heart and thoughts. Kick the damn bitch to the door and keep dancing!

hugs,

Sue

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2010

((((((((((BCDIVA))))))))))) if thoughts and prayers have any say so.....everyone here has ya covered!  Hang tough, and know we all have your back!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited August 2013

Robyn - How dare the beast mess with you again. It has picked the wrong girl. I'm with Sue - you will totally kick this f---ing bastard (I don't think C's a bitch - no other female would ever inflict this on us). My thoughts and prayers and positive vibes go out to you. And my curses to the C that dare mess with The Diva! We're all behind you, Robyn. We've got your back. Fight like a Diva! 

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

BCDiva, hope you are feeling the support and love of all of your fellow sisters.  Let it help you to grow stronger each day!   God bless you.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2010

BCDiva-Sending Prayers & Hugs your Way

• just4ann
    edited September 2010

I am back at the Hope Lodge now.  I feel pretty good.  Just sore and tender.  I had requested C cups since that's what I was pre-cancer.  But obviously I did not take into consideration the difference 40 years of gravity has on a pair of boobs.  These things look like honeydew melons. I hope some of it is swelling and will go away soon.  But it is definitely nice to have real boobs instead of the ones I kept in the drawer.  Dr. S does beautiful work.  And everyone was so wonderful at the hospital.  I have been in the hospital many times but nothing like the experience at St Charles.  They are truly lovely people.

Mchas and FourBoyMom hope you are both doing well.  And Melinda, enjoy all of the attention you are about to receive.   Good luck.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2010

Ann I know what you mean :) I was a C before, but after a kid they aren't as perky, then going a year without. Dr S said he was giving me a C+. The right is perfect, but the left is larger. Funny though it sure feels strange to have boobs again! Don't worry I know Dr S told me it is much easier to go down in size in stage 2.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2010

I was a C+ prior to Stage 1, and afterward I was sure Dolly Parton was going to have to move over!!  Geez!  I have no idea how large I was since I only used the compression bras between Stage 1 and Stage 2. Fortunately, the swelling did go down over a few weeks.  I went down to a D.  At Stage 2 I asked to be a B+/C- and that's just what I got.  Like you, I was told it's easier to go smaller at Stage 2, so it's not unusual to be a bit big after Stage 1.  Your size will be changing over the next few weeks, but by week 5 you'll pretty much be your final size.......until Stage 2.