Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Patty- no problem and the offer still stands! Kiss my city hello for me... I LOVE and MISS Manhattan and all the sights, sounds and smells!

Happy - You have every right to have some down times. I am hoping that the days get easier for you and that you are soon on the road to feeling more like yourself. And yes, cancer does change what is on the inside. In time, things will generally get a little easier, but that is not to say that even 4 years out you will never have a bad day. I have my moments where I would love to spit in cancer's face... if only there was a face to spit on!!!  Hang in there!!!

Pam - my IV was on my L arm as was my BP cuff. BUT, I have had surgery before where they put the BP cuff just above my sequential pumps that are on the calves. Don't worry, they will take good care of you. I wore a very light weight sleeve during surgery - but I already have lymphedema. Just remind them about it before hand so that they can somehow identify which side they cannot use!

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Thanks Tricia!!! I am going to PM TimTam and try to see your new girls!!!

Also Pam - if they have a hard time getting your IV in ask to have the CRNA or Anesthesiologist give it a shot. Sometimes they can get it when others can't. Luckily the pre-op nurse got me on the first stick. But she was under pressure because if she didn't get it, Dr. S said my husband could try - she told me, "I can't let him show me up!" 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2009

sorry i havent been on much but still dealing with rt breast.  went to local plastic surgeon and he removed drain that wasnt doing anything anyway, but seems to think swelling is edeman in tissue and not fluid.  just want some relief on that side, everything else is going well   waiting for email back from NOLA asking what i need to do if it is edema instead of fluid. stomach drains are all that are left, but doing ok with them.  will keep you all informed of anything new.  ginnie

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Gin - I am so sorry that you are having so much discomfort and fluid build up! I hope that that will soon be behind you!

Okay, Patty, I hope you found  your tea, but I did a search on the manufacturer's web site. I assume you are having surgery at the Ear and Eye Infirmary? (Last I recall that is where Dr. Allen does his surgeries in NYC)   There is a Nutritional Mart at 388 2nd Ave. (less than 1/2 mile from the hospital and about a 10 minute walk), there is Lucky's Juice Joint on 170 2nd Ave - 2/10th's of a mile and 5 minute walk, Commodities at 165 1rst Ave. 3/10ths of a mile and 5 minute walk. There are more if you need me to keep looking! If you didn't find it today, it might give your husband or whomever is there with you something to do while you are surgery tomorrow!!! Good luck, we will be thinking about you!

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

I just got off the phone w/the OB/Gyn's office... setting hyst/bso for the middle of Oct. - the cancer nightmare continues and on to menopause. Sh*t. Don't know if I am ready for this but hubby says we are done having kids and my risk for OC is SO high. It is like you are d*mned if you do and d*mned if you don't. Guess I would rather avoid another cancer and hopefully staying active will ward off the osteoporosis and heart disease. But you guys let me know if I start losing my mind post surgery.

On a good note, barring any complications I should still be able to meet up with some of you in Dec!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

Well Nordy...Honey I know what you're saying...But If it feels anything like the absolute RELIEF and LIBERATION I feel by having lost the ducts and lobules perhaps it will bring you....It SHOULD bring you some peace of mind...OMG Dr. D has given me MUCH better than I started w/!  I hope I don't sound trite...we are SO SO much more than breasts, estrogen, ovaries.  I may be following your path if I have more issues w/ the cysts at my f/u....we'll see.

I got my path back today NEGATIVE!  and the nipples negative too...so I can keep ,mine!  the L that was radiated still a bit diffeence...actually the whole L breast still looks different in color a bit and a hair more swollen than R but WTH!  I'm ONE week out!  Today we did the Katrina bus tour, then hit the french market, shopped and then went to Olivier's for dinner(Creole) historic place great ambience.  Breakfast today was to DIE for at Fleur De Lis!  Mostly I miss the nurse at St Charles saying " Ya breasts look Garate" in the new orleans accent!.....I can say it just like them...and did so when one of the jaimie's called me to check in today.  They are just awesome!

Anyhoo.  Tomorrow am is packed w/ last minute trolley, Cafe Du Monde and a few more souvenirs.  Weather finally so nice!  humidity finally decreased!  Marriott gave us a river view w/ 2 walls of window...REALLY spectacular-but no free meals!  Oh well!  Ok, better go to bed!  Will catch up on more.  Trishia...I've a sarcastic wit... but my middle name is really  jane!  Need to change the avatar soon to the post 'annointed'  you'll see.  This is SUCH a cool city...So much history and culture!  Goodnight all!

xoxo, jennifer

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited September 2009

PlainJane, Warrior,Gin ,Nordy,Sarah~

Just wanted to check in on the latest NOLA beauties!

Sorry I have been MIA, but I have checked in on y'all from time to time.

New Orleans is still healing from Katrina and how appropriate it is that we are  healing along with her...

So glad that healing is moving along for most of you. For those with healing difficulties and or complications my herat is with you . I had an open wound for a while and it was upsetting to say the least. I had to learn the meaning of being a patient patient and believe that in the end all would be well...and it is.

Enjoy those last beignets Jennifer and give my favorite city a proper sendoff!(Cafe du Monde)

Nordy girl I owe you a call~ I am so sorry you are having to make these choices,truly.

Hugs, Marcia

PS Looking at the lineup for Stage 2 in December perhaps you ladies need to plan a Christmas party in NOLA?!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Gin- Sorry you are having a hard time with Edema/fluid I hope you get some answers to what to do about this soon  

Nordy- Im sorry you had to make that decision.  I think even when 'one is done'  its not easy to face.    

Wow- Jennifer!  I hope I get to do as much as it sounds like you are doing.  I have never been to NO...So really dont know what to try to see...dh says he doesn't think I will be up to doing anything .

Pam

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Ginnie, sorry about that. NOLA told me to go get an ultrasound. I assume you had one done too and they found no like "repository" of fluid to suck out? I assume I have edemea on that side. I think it is starting to go down as I get more active. Hang in there. 

NOLA (Beth) called yesterday to see how I was. I was told I could (A) sleep on my side and (B) got a prescription for Ambien CR! I think I slept 10-11 hours last night. Feels good!

Happy, I know exactly what you mean!! When I was initially at the hotel and got a really good first look at my naked body, I was shocked! I felt ravaged! Things eventually smoothed out, and as the surgical glue comes off, those dark stitches come off too. Things start to look better. But it is one hell-of-a friggin thing we've been through! You are allowed a breakdown! You've earned it!! 

Jennifer:   Your boobs look Gaaaaaarate! !!! LOL. Everyone who looked at mind said they were pretty. I don't know if this is all part of the healing program, but I tell you, that is what we NEED TO HEAR after what we went through! The fact that is is also TRUE is wonderful to know... :)

Linda - you are a doll! Thank you for the Spanx offer! (can you imagine us mailing and recycling all these garments! Back Max Wedges??  LOL!!) But I think I am making a SPANX run today to Nordstroms - I am not swelling at all now down there (belly butt - I have both!!) - but thinking for Stage 2 in Dec.. And I tell you, I am NOT getting the heavy duty ones! I am done with the binder from HE77!!! Warrior told me she has the "Higher power shaper" (Higher Power - like God??!! LOL!!) and I see it listed for $36.00. I am a size C given my height and weight (5'8" and 157 last I got on the scale). I am going to try it on though, If the sucker is too tight, I am going up a size!!

Those of you who had DIEP - are you tender around your (new) belly button area? I am very sore/tender and also sort of numb! A strange feeling! LET ME KNOW!!

NORDY!!! WOOT!!!!!!!  You go girl!!!! Just a few more days to go woman!!! FREEDOM!!! Feels so good!!! :):):):):):):)  Nordy, if you were to drain an area under your armpit, down some, to the side of your breast on your rib cage (mine is puffy there) which way would you massage it? I need to know! I can do it myself but I need to know which way to gently urge it!! Let me know...

Annise, do you have compression garments? I would for sure be wearing them if pulling drains putting out 50-60 each per day. Maybe pull at night, and wear your tightest one? Movement apparently enourages the production of that fluid, so maybe just laying there??. LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!! 

Spring. 

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2009

Nordy - CONGRATS on getting one drain out.  Now for the other one!!!!  Sorry to hear about the hyst/bso getting finalized - I know you were on the fence about that - but at least you can still get your stage 2 in December!  Need to find whatever silver lining we can.

Spring - I wear the spanx garment every day - 24/7.  So, I'm already compressing myself and still getting lots of fluid.  Also, I'm pretty much a couch potato other than when I'm working (part-time for now till Monday) so it's not the exercise - guess I'm just 'juicy'.  Too bad I'm so old - I could go buy some shorts with that eblazoned on the back.....LOL!

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

I got an email from the center that Dr D needs to be out on Dec 4th, and they want to move my surgery to Dec 2nd! Trying to find out the new dates to rearrange flights. 

Nordy, are you still doing surgery Dec 3, or not sure yet? 

• anna62
    anna62 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2009

Hi Girls

I have been off the site for quite some time, I am off to NOLA for a date with Dr. D on Oct 14th. Second stage, what on earth will they do I have no idea.  I am a bit uneven, but  just happy to be rid of my prosthetics.  Anyone out there going to be in town the same time ???  BBQ shrimp at Mr B's ?  I hope you are all having happy and peacful days !

Anna

• Springtime
    edited September 2009

Anna, We need more stage 2 girls! I will add you above...

I had some delicious thing at Mr. B's Bistro when I was there.  

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Spring - as far as I know I am still on for the 3rd. Let me know what you find out. I will firm everything up this week when I hear from the ob/gyn office. Also, I guess it would make a difference if I have any unforeseen complications... which for now I am going to assume won't happen!

Thanks Laura - I think I will be in NOLA long enough to see you then!

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited October 2009

Sing it, Nordy...DRAIN FREE!!!!!!! lol

Dr. Massey's staff are the ones who told me to wear SPANX. If they had their way, I would be in them constantly til end of winter. lol  They can be difficult to get up and down but you get used to it. My attitude is it can always be worse! I bought knock off versions and the material is not nearly as soft..maybe its just me. If I don't wear them, I feel like I am swelling still...

Sorry..need to run..

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

... wishing, singing... meditating, DRAIN FREE.... still one to go!!!

Spring, we are so going to be in the hospital together. I think one of my friends from NY is meeting me for the first couple of days until my husband gets there... she is pretty funny, so good times are coming our way! And everyone else coming the next week... I am going to stay in town for a post op appt, so maybe we can all get together?! And all of you (JENN) that have so much energy (uh, JENN) and are able to be a tourist (um, yes, that would be JENN!!!)  after stage 1, can show me around the next time I am down there!!!  Wink

Okay... so it appears that I have decided to do Davinci assisted BSO/hyst in... oh, about 2 weeks. Totally squeezing it in, but Dr. S's nurse talked to him and it appears that I will have JUST enough time. Now just waiting to firm it up w/my doctor here. UGH.... I think it will be okay though. Just one more hurdle on the way to wellness and hopefully a very long life free of cancer! Isn't that what we all wish for anyway?! 

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2009

Nordy, You sound great!

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2009

All you Aug/Sept girls sound like you are hanging in, making progress and keeping up the spirits!  That's what we all need.  I am doing better every day - have a few lingering stitches to get out - did anyone else have trouble getting the stitches and all the knots from hard to reach places??  I slept on my SIDE for the first time and it's heaven.  Funny the things you miss the most.  I went to a work conference 1/2 days for 3 days this week and did fine- just a little tired.  I will be starting back to work next week - man, that went too fast! I'm going to really miss my afternoon naps. 

I made my Dec reservations before I heard the advice to stay for the post op appointment so I'm going to miss that - hope that won't be a bad idea.  I will be in town Dec 7-13 so hope to see all you Dec girls. After seeing a picture of a 3D Nipple tattoo I've decided not to do the nipple reconstruction, just the lipo and adjusting and then go for the 3D Tat.  I'm liking the no-bra, no-nip look and feel.  Now I have to find someone to do the tattoo - that's a sentence I never thought I'd say!

Happy Healing to you all.  And Nordy, hang in there.  You are right to get after this thing once and for all and move on with your life.  Done by the New Year!

Thanks for all the advice and humor - really helps the recovery!

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2009

Hey Ladies

I am back!!!. Had a very long surgery 12 hrs and need 2 units of blood the next day. I have not been in much pain, mostly discomfort  and I am not taking any pain meds. But I have had difficulty regulating my fluid levels so could not stand up without passing out until Mon. I was released yesterday, minus two drains and will head home this evening. Feeling much better.

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and prayers.

Sounds like everyone else is doing well.

Stephanie

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2009

YEAH MACSIX6- So glad you are back!

SPRING - MY BELLY BUTTON area KILLS me!  It is middle distance between breast bone and belly button, so sore!  Must wear BINDER to be able to move about.  UGH!  I have had this since about 3 days aftger surgery.  Dr D says its normal, wear the binder 24/7!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2009

Stephanie, safe travel home tonight.  So glad you are feeling better!  We're leaving for Chicago early in the morning, so I will talk to you in a few days.

• Springtime
    edited October 2009

Steph, I also had 4 flaps (stacked DIEP/Lumbar) and my surgery was 11 hours and I also needed 2 units of blood. I think this is b/c my red counts were below normal prior to surgery (thank you chemo and rads) - and you recover much better if you're stronger. Low reds makes you feel like crapola! Every day gets a bit better. Today I am 4 weeks post op. Not quite human yet, but I think I can sense it coming... :)

Nordy, so you are doing the DaVinci at home, and then will recover in time for stage 2 in NOLA? I hope this works so we can meet up and be there together!  (if all goes well  for your DaVinci, and I know it will!). I still am waiting to hear back on my date (Liz suggested changing to Dec 2) and then rearranging flights. ugh.

Mel, My belly button area hurts or feels sensitive/numb/odd right around the belly button, in like a 2 inch radius around it! LOL. I assume this resolves! When I first was able to ditch the binder, my tummy area felt weird too. I think it is getting less so over time.  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2009

Stephanie,

So great to hear from you!  Hopefully your flight home will be smoother than your last week has been. Geez! 

Eve

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Stephanie - My goodness!!! Do make sure when you get up in the morning to sit at the edge of the bed for a few minutes prior to standing to let your BP stabilize a bit! I am glad that you are on your way home and on your way to recovery!!! Hang in there!

Spring - Yes, I know it is a lot of surgery so quickly, but the doctors seem to think it is enough time barring any complications. Again, not my choice of a surgery, but we do what we do to promote a long life!!! I suppose I ought to let Celeste know that I want a post op at stage 2, so will send off an email - does anyone know if she is back at work yet?

NebrNan- Yes, I had trouble getting all the stitches!!! I had to have my husband help me get the ones under my breasts! I figured if I tried to snip them that I would for sure cut myself! I certainly didn't want to do that! I am glad you are starting to feel better!

• Springtime
    edited October 2009

I have some "blobby" spots of surgical glue and stitches too, some are "pick off able" and others don't seem ready yet. 

Nordy - Celeste is not back in the office I don't think, because earlier this week I got an email from Liz telling me she was needing to reschedule my Stage 2 surgery date since Celeste was out. I'd get with Liz!  

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2009

Would have posted sooner but my computer went down on me and just got it up and running the morning I left for NOLA then every time I went down to use the one at hope lodge they were taken already. Anyway,  I got great news, they took 12 lymph nodes and no cancer in any of them (had a positve biopsy when first diagnosed) and there was only 0.5 mm, yes only .5 mm from 6x5 cm!, in the breast.  woo hoo!  Dr LaGarde said that they radiology oncologist in NOLA would not recommend radiation for that.  Will have to talk to my docs up here in Tyler.  Dr. S made the point that for removal of just 0.5mm they would not radiate.  They told me from the beginning I would need radiation but now I don't see why I would need it with all the cancer gone.  Any feed back on that would really be appreciated.  I am really worried about how much radiation increases chances of lymphedema.  If no radiation I am going to try and get rest of surgery done towards end of Jan.  Dr.S. told me that I would only have enough on my abdomen to stay same size (A) or if I wanted to go larger I had plenty on the hip and could have a full C.  Figure I might as well go for it and make improvements.  lol   I stayed at Fairway Medical and it was GREAT!!  Was like I was staying in a very nice hotel rather than a hospital.  Had surgery Fri am and was released sat am about 11.  I did absolutely wonderful and have not had any pain to speak of, have been taking pain meds regularly but not needing them much now.  I am soooo glad I chose NOLA and all the posts everyone puts up really helps. 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2009

Hi ladies.  I have been on the phone today and talked w/ both Stephanie and Melanie and we're all doing great!  on the big picture that is.  Melanie is already talking about work...NOT ME!  I actually am still swollen, bruised and think I will be calling tomorrow because my L nipple(yes!  Mine and nipple spared) is sort of scabby.  However I remember Liz specifically saying this happens.  My L breast remains more swollen and sort of red....it was irradiated tho last jan/feb.  The sutures underneath  are sore.  This last drain is ever so close just had 23- 25 cc's/day and I think I need 2 days less than 20?  Yes I do have all the written instructions and honestly I just don't expect much considering I'm less than 2 weeks.  I think the swelling heavy feeling at the sides/underneath will take a while I felt it before I left too, but clearly it doesn't slow me down too much.  Bruising more noticeable.  I'll call and send some pics tomorrow for peace of mind and because I'm seeing my local BS monday and I want to cover bases before I walk in all proud of bruises and swelling...I still love them!

Ok now stage 2.  Yes, even tho I have barely finished unpacking yes, trying to get things planned and booked. My head is alrady spinning.....I need time to relax and sort things out. YET  know I need more dependable help, and more details sorted out.  I've been so focused so long just on getting to the other side of stage one! My surg scheduled 12/10.  they said be there 12/8.  One night in hosp and we can fly home?  I had intended on coming in early to meet, be w/ spring/nordy, etc.  But sounds lke dates are changing and I'm a bit freaked(more like nervous) about finances and feeling an impending squeeze.  So...I may not go to NO until 12/8 and come home 12/14?  We all MUST plan to do something together(reunion?).....I'm going to suggest this again?  maybe early mardigras timing.  I will want to flash...

ok, not a late night person...what the heck am I doing up this late?

later, xoxo, jennifer.

• happy29
    edited October 2009

Great News , Brenda!!!! WHat a Relief for you!!

Jennifer, You sound aweseme!.

Spring- I am still peeling the glue off my incisions!! The worst is that gray glue away from the incisions. I used a cotton ball with nail polish remover and it slowly is working. Any other suggestions ? I am still numb.

Second stage- My insurance says I need to do second stage within calendar year of first stage or I start all over with deductible.  Is this why all of you are having it before Jabuary? I am worried that things will not be settled in enough. I heard it can take up to a year. My left breast has changed a lot in just this past week- much smaller. I guess swelling went down.  

Does anyone know if fat injections work for volume? I heard that sometimes the body reabsorbs the fat.  Also have anyone of you noticed any changes due to weight gain/weight loss? I know it may be too soon to tell. Not sure if mine are getting smaller due to weight loss.

Thanks ladies. Can not believe it is October!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2009

I wish I could get stage 2  done this year for Insurance reasons.  But there is no way : (

You all are taking out your own stitches? ?

Breanda Great news on the Nodes!

Jennifer you sound great for under 2 weeks!

Happy- Im glad the swelling is coming down.  Cant tell you on the wieght loss stuff- Im interested to hear too.

I figure I will end up with nothing on top- If I loose weight after surgery.

Pam

• happy29
    edited October 2009

Hi Pam!

I am sorry for the confusion. No I am not taking out any stiches. Dr Allen removed any non disolvable stitches before I left NEw Orleans (one week post op.) but what is left is glue and dissolvable stitches. So as the incisions heal. the glue curls up and falls off. Parts of my legs have gray glue (like when you peel a  price tag off a candle or item and there is residue left on item) so I am trying to get rid of that 5 weeks later!!

Your implant exchange is coming up!! I hope you are excited?

Happy