Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009

Oh- That is great to hear about the drains Mel!

I have about 5 tops that I splurged on Sept 08 before my Exchange to my Messed up Implants.

It would be nice to finally get to wear some of them!

Pam

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2009

Just a quickie...thanks for the well wishes, ladies. I'm now in NOLA, and I'll head to the center in about an hour or so for preop!

You guys sound like you're doing well!

Carolynn :)

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2009

YOU GO CAROLYN!  It will be over soon enough and you will do great!  stay on top of the pain and take it easy on yourself.  Its a long road but worth it.  I am only 12 days out and I feel so so much better already.  It is EXCITING STUFF!  Prayers coming your way.  Tell everyone at the center Hi from Mel.  xxoo

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited September 2009

Best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery Carolynn!!

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

BOOOOORNNNNN FREEEE....I have been singing that song all day but replaced the word BORN with DRAIN!!! Yipppe...DRAIN FREE FINALLY!! lol..Mel, glad you are, too!! You sound like you take the bull by the horn!

I also have my Stage 2 Date...December 11th in NOLA w/Dr. Massey!  Now, I have to start looking for flights etc..arrgh and childcare. I know its not as big of deal, but it is harder w/kids at home sometimes.

Spring..girlie...worried about you..post or email me and let me know how it is going w/everything.

Congrats to all you girls and your "new girls" lol 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2009

How long does it take for NOLA to contact you once you send in your paperwork ?? 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009

Hi Jaimieh...sometimes it depends on YOUR insurance company but I know my paperwork was turned in and I heard back within two weeks...Best of luck to you!!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited September 2009

Yeah I guess my DH should have faxed that away also.  We are changing insurance Oct. 1 so he didn't want to start with that number and then have to go thru the process of explaining the change.  So I guess I will just keep waiting :)  Thanks for answering my questions Warrior :) 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited September 2009

Warrior!!! Hurray on the drain freedom! I am going to state right here and now that I am SO jealous of everyone losing their drains!!! Except ME!!! Good gravy, at this rate I am going to have to figure out how to incorporate drains into a Halloween costume! I hope that they tell me I can take them out this week... I HOPE. Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Jamieh - Yes, it sometimes takes some time, especially when they are checking on your insurance. You will have a new number soon, right? So, I would bet that things will move faster once that is in place. 

Carolynn- It is ALL YOU tomorrow!!!  We will be thinking of you and saying lots of prayers for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

Spring - Where oh where are you? How are you? Do tell!

Jennifer and Stephanie - hope you are both recovering well and that you are starting to feel a bit back to normal.

Pam - I started a PM to you and then had to run out, I will finish it up here in a second. I think you will be okay 11 days out, barring any rare complications. I was 10 days out and home with my 2 kids for a 18 hour period while my husband was at work and transitioning family members to help out. We all did fine! You may just like being able to rest and not have to worry about anyone else!

Mel - Glad to hear you are doing well and also DRAIN FREE! 

Iamc - is your stage 2 the 7th or the 9th? I see two dates up there - inquiring minds want to know!

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRNNNNNN FREEEEEEEEEEEE! THATS ME!  Now  I will be singing that song all night!  Warrior you are a riot! 

NORDY - we will all sing it for you in no time, I am sure of it. 

SPRING - where are you?  Hope you are ok.  Check in soon. 

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Sounds like I will be fine at 11 days- so thats good to know.  It will be me & Dejaboo : )

She is very good after surgery.  After my Hyster.  She got on the bed with me & Did not come close- But stretched her neck really far -so she could give me a kiss.

10 days later when I was feelign better- she stepped on me.  Funny how they know when you arent well.

Happy- started a Hematoma thread- Happy I hope you can get some help with this & Some answers.  I am sorry you are not able to walk for long & in alot of pain.

Spring- Hope you are doing ok.

Nordy- Those drains do need to come out...My Fingers are crossed for you.

Pam

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2009

Glad to see everyone healing well.  Nordy~I feel your pain!  I didn't have hip drains, and I still had my one ab drain for a month!  It was hell!

Carolynn~sending you lots of postive and healing energy!  You will do great! 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2009

OMG, I've just missed way too much. I WILL go back and I'm sure have waaaaay too many comments............. 

I am great! my newly adopted 'twins' are FABULOUS. 

I am awaiting the arrival of my friend to pick me up there was some drama friday/saturday w/ another friend who chose to party on me rather than show up.  I was about to pop a gasket...nothing physical but LONG story. I digress. 

I AM GUSHINGLY excited wired, only one drain.  These people have adopted me.  NEVER been treated this well.  Dr, D said it was the 'curse of the nurse' that took me back to OR last week. lol...hadn't heard that on before, but nurses here had and experienced the same! ALL is OVERWHELMINGLY INCREDLY WONDERFUL.  One drain.  And zero regrets for anything that happened in the last year or 3 w/ the breast stuff.....all lead to this.  I have no ducts or lobules BUT I AM still a mammal !!!!   lol!!!  car bringing ftw bff here then FINALLY to marriott tonight one of those slurpees (stephanie called them that)daquiris......and GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Glyneese?  from nutrition is a cowboy fan and I am hooking sister up in Dec.  every time she knocked on the door esp the drugged up day  it was nock nock, then sounded like;"Clint Eastwoood w/ nutrition"...How many times I''ve laughed about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she thinks I'm a piece of work....and she's right!  The amount of awe has caused an extremely high use of profanity...because i can't F'ing believe all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  sorry  More later I gotta quit being the squatter...you know the guest at the party who won't leave?   lol!  hasta later! love and kisses, prayers too.....waaaaaay tons of divine intervention too much to begin!

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

WOW PLAINJANE - you sound GREAT!  Cannot wait to hear about the escapades.  Sorry I did not call last evening...........got really sleeping and dosed off, then it was too late.  Will call you this afternoon.  xxoo Mel

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009

Yay, Plain JAne!

Spring, where are you? Hoping you are resting and doing Okay Smile

Thinking of You, Carolynn!!! Its going to be great!

Patty- It is you tomorrow!! Sending you positive thoughts!

• melaniew1
    edited September 2009

(((((((((PATTY)))))))))))))))))  You will do wonderful and you will be SO BEAUTIFUL! xxoo mel

• Trishia
    edited September 2009

Jane~I refuse to call you 'plain'~I can't wait to hear more of your adventure!  You tell an enticing story.  So glad you are doing so well. 

Carolynn~wishing you smooth sailing today! 

Patty~good luck honey! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2009

Hi all,

I was away for 2 days - younger daughter visiting older daughter's college campus (younger is a Senior in HS). I took it easy and survived. Even wore a bra for part of both days. I am nearly a month post op, and had a good night's sleep last night! I am starting to feel like "turning the corner" may be coming up soon!!! Today feels like it will be a good day...

The sensitivity under/between breasts is starting to resolve. Now it feels more like "burning" than intense pain, LOL.

I am DONE wearing the binder from He77!!! Woot!  Warrior has convinced me to invest in a few pairs of SPANX - so I am planning a trip to Nordstroms - I have it narrowed down to the following styles: Does anybody know why some SPANX are like $30 and others are near $70?

SPANX® 'Hi-Rise' Body Smoother | #170079 qtypricetotal

Size: Large 1 $68.00

$68.00
    Color: Black

---------------------------------------------------------
    SPANX® 'Power Panties' Shaper | #93342 qtypricetotal

Size: C 1 $30.00

$30.00

----------------------------------------------------------
    SPANX® 'Higher Power' Shaper | #146033 qtypricetotal

Size: C 1 $36.00

$36.00

Still puffy on the left side - not breast, side of rib cage under arm pit. I asked the local surgeon if I should have lymphatic massage, also asked NOLA office, both did not think it a good idea. I wonder why? Anyway, It is not that bothersome.

Everyone sounds great!  

Trisha you are are Stage 2 GURU!!! I am glad you were not puffed up for 2 months like Liz warned! ahhck!

Patty, all these wonderful women have gone ahead of you, now you're up, and YOU WILL DO IT AND BE JUST FINE!!! Held in hands of angels. You'll see.... :)

Spring. 

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2009

Warrior, why do you suggest Spanx?  Those suckers (literally) are hard to get on even when you've got two strong arms and body.  I wore some for my daughters wedding (under my clothes of course) and man what a struggle.  Ah, maybe I got the wrong size. 

Spring, I don't have a clue what makes them different prices.  I have the high waisted- high legged style, freshly laundered if you want to borrow them!  lol!  No, really you can.  They might be to big, but you might be glad to have less of a struggle.  I'll send them to you if you want and you  can send them back when it is my turn......but I stil want to know why they help.  don't you already have a flat tummy?

Trishia,  Went to the Timtam sight. AWESOME!  You look Fantabulous!!  Thanks for sharing.  I also went back and saw your earlier PO posts.  I hope that was you!!  It is nice to see what to expect.  Thanks so much.   

ALL you recent ladies, Carolyn, Melanie,Pam, Jennifer, Stephanie, Lee (Diep in SC with Craigie and Allen) and anyone I misses.  You all ROCK.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Linda ((*_*))

• PATTY50
    PATTY50 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2009

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the support!  You are all amazing women. We arrived in NYC yesterday but couldn't get the wireless network to work on the computer.  We finally got it working today.  I had my pre-op w/ Dr. Allen and am all set for tomorrow morning.

I feel well prepared for the surgery thanks to you all.

Trishia, I saw your photos and you look amazing.  I am hoping to post some pictures as well if I can figure out how to do it.

Carolynn, I am thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Nordy, where can I buy the smooth move tea?

Hugs,

Patty

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2009

I think the difference in Spanx price has to do with the material used. Some--the more expensive ones--are really strong, thick material. The less expensive ones are lighter-weight. There are some Spanx that are barely thicker than panty hose. I figure I'll spend the $$ on the heavy-duty ones. I just know that after stage 1, I craved all the compression I could get. Things that were the weight of my bike shorts just didn't hack it for me.

I've only seen the light weight ones at The Rack.

Glad everyone is recovering well and getting those darned drains out! Anniese, yours are due out Friday, right??

Anne

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited September 2009

Anne - still putting out between 50 and 60 cc per day per drain.  Was told that I can pull them Friday regardless of the output - I want these things OUT, but I'm a little scared of what might happen.......

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Bye Bye Drain....  Woooooohhoooooo... I FINALLY got to pull my right hip drain! One down, one to go and if the numbers stay down I can pull it over the weekend, if not, then next week!!! FREEDOM!!!!!  I can't believe how good it feels to even have ONE out!!! And last day of antibiotics - hopefully it was enough to kick this infection to the curb!

Anne - I was thinking that the more expensive spanx probably compressed more. I think I will invest in a couple for the next go around - even if for nothing else then to have to do laundry every day to alternate out these two black compression garments I have now... Although, I guess if I keep these and they give me 2 more next time, I will then have plenty... Hmmm... sorry just thinking out loud!

Spring, I am so glad that some of your pain is going away! Maybe they don't want you to have lymph massage because they don't know whether the therapist would be aware of any possible contraindications w/your recent flaps... I had lymphedema in my arm to begin with and am VERY gentle when moving fluid from the flap up toward my cervical nodes - but I don't know that everyone would be that way. Hang in there - maybe your body just needs some time to take up that fluid. I would definitely call them if it gets any worse, however.

Jennifer and Stephanie - I hope that you are both recovering nicely and know that I am thinking of you!

Carolynn - wooo hooo... you are there and doing this! I hope that all is going well today! 

Patty - You are UP!!! Wishing you all positive thoughts through the night and tomorrow! I think I found my Smooth Move tea at Target of all places! I know they carry it at quite a few grocery stores. I am thinking, does Manhattan have a Target?! LOL, you can check some of the small grocery stores that are around and see what you can find. It has been 8 years since I lived in NY - and even then I lived on Long Island - different world. The website of the manufacturer is: www.traditionalmedicinal.com   Don't forget the glycerin suppositories too - together with the tea - they work wonders. 

Anniese - Friday = Freedom. I am rooting for you!

• Nordy
    edited September 2009

Bye Bye Drain....  Woooooohhoooooo... I FINALLY got to pull my right hip drain! One down, one to go and if the numbers stay down I can pull it over the weekend, if not, then next week!!! FREEDOM!!!!!  I can't believe how good it feels to even have ONE out!!! Initially, I made my husband come up to help me and as he was standing there, I just pulled it out myself! I got the, "Why did you make me come up here to help you if you were just going to pull it yourself?" lecture. LaughingAnd last day of antibiotics - hopefully it was enough to kick this infection to the curb!

Anne - I was thinking that the more expensive spanx probably compressed more. I think I will invest in a couple for the next go around - even if for nothing else then not to have to do laundry every day to alternate out these two black compression garments I have now... Although, I guess if I keep these and they give me 2 more next time, I will then have plenty... Hmmm... sorry just thinking out loud!

Spring, I am so glad that some of your pain is going away! Maybe they don't want you to have lymph massage because they don't know whether the therapist would be aware of any possible contraindications w/your recent flaps... I had lymphedema in my arm to begin with and am VERY gentle when moving fluid from the flap up toward my cervical nodes - but I don't know that everyone would be that way. Hang in there - maybe your body just needs some time to take up that fluid. I would definitely call them if it gets any worse, however.

Jennifer and Stephanie - I hope that you are both recovering nicely and know that I am thinking of you!

Carolynn - wooo hooo... you are there and doing this! I hope that all is going well today! 

Patty - You are UP!!! Wishing you all positive thoughts through the night and tomorrow! I think I found my Smooth Move tea at Target of all places! I know they carry it at quite a few grocery stores. I am thinking, does Manhattan have a Target?! LOL, you can check some of the small grocery stores that are around and see what you can find. It has been 8 years since I lived in NY - and even then I lived on Long Island - different world. The website of the manufacturer is: www.traditionalmedicinal.com   Don't forget the glycerin suppositories too - together with the tea - they work wonders. If you cannot find it there, PM me and I will over-night it to the hospital you are in. 

Anniese - Friday = Freedom. I am rooting for you!

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Good Luck tomorrow Patty!  

Spring glad to hear you are doing good  

I wonder about Flexee brand found at Kohls...They are buy 1 get 1 50% off right now.  The sale may end today- the woman on the phone didn't know. I dont really have a Nordstroms near me.

Nordy- Way to go...Only 1 drain left!  Hope that comes out on the weekend.  

Anniese-Good luck pulling the drains Friday.  I hope that you are just fine without them with no fluid build up  

Pam

• PATTY50
    PATTY50 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2009

Nordy,

So happy to hear one of the drains is out.  I am sending some positive vibes your way that the other drain will be out by the weekend.  I will be going out soon in seach of the tea.  Wish me luck!  Thank you so much for your generous offer to over-night it if I can't find. I just told my husband about your offer and he is in awe about your generosity.  Thank goodness we have a place to connect.  I wish I had found you all earlier in my diagnosis.  It certainly would have made my journey easier and may have gotten me at this point faster.

Patty

• happy29
    edited September 2009

Great news , Spring that your pain is easing a little!!

YAY, Nordy!!! On your way to freedom!! One more drain and no more anti biotics.

Patty-cant wait to view your photos.

Trish- I am going to check out your pretty pics! I have been having a hard time getting logged in .

I talked with my work today (school counselor) about when I can return. I am due to go back in two weeks but am nervous about a full day. I am SO Not a whimp but this surgery has thrown me for a loop. Yesterday I only lasted a half hour at the mall until hematoma on leg hurt . Today I drove alone to TJ MAXX and lasted an hour at My pace- slow as molasses. I hate that now I look like something is wrong to other people. 

I measured each leg incision today . Each Is 12 Inches Long!!!!!! The incision leads to my rearend and now I feel it when I sit. No wonder this is taking long and I limp and walk slowly.

Last night I had a frustrated crying fit.Cry AT one point I cursed my Doctor for mutilating me- How irrational is that?? The doctor adore! I told DH that I feel "messed up" Then I got it together but it did dawn on me that if I did not have such great support (DH and family/friends and  all you BCO   LadiesSmile) and a good sense of self- this surgery could really psychologically mess you up.  I look good /normal on the outside(scars aside) but internally things have changed.

I am grateful for all of you!

• Dejaboo
    edited September 2009

Happy Im sorry to heqar you are having such a hard time.

I hope that things get better soon.  I see it is one month today...Lets say Oct 1st you feel better!

Heres hoping.

So- id like to know where all of you had your IVs & BP cuff during surgery.

if you have one good arm did they use that for both...Or did they use a leg...I recall someone having a neck IV!

Thanks,

Pam

• happy29
    edited September 2009

Thank you , Pam

PAm- I had two lumpectomies and the nurse had a very difficult time getting my IV through my hand/wrist.  I put up with a lot of hitting the hand and pain . For this surgery- I told them my dilema and that I wanted my IV through my middle arm vein. No problem but when I awoke my right arm was killing me ( I think it was kept straight and cocked back to not get in the wway for seven hour surgery.

• Trishia
    edited September 2009

Yippeee  Nordy!

Thank you all for the nice comments!  I feel pretty damn amazing for sure!  Doesn't matter how many scars I have...feeling whole is SO nice.

Happy that sounds painful!  Hope you heal up soon.