Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2009

Mel,

The instructions I have said to wear the friggin bra for 24 hours a day for the first 2 weeks. After that, I ditched the thing! I have tried wearing the lightest bra for a few hours a day (like a sleeping bra) but it is still hurting. My skin is just so sensitive, nerve damage like - like what people describe Shingles!!! my skin acuatlly peeled in this area! Anyway. I am not doing a bra for most of the day.

My abdomen is still tight on and off. I am 4/5 weeks now. The more I stretch it, the better it is. If I set for a while or take a long car ride, it tightens up again. But I've noticed, more and more, it is easier to loosen. I think it is getting better in time.

For those of you with butt, I just feel like the butt is the easiest thing! I feel nothing back there! The belly is next worse. The breast nerve issues still the bane of my existance! Those of you who are numb in the boobs, I envy you! Honestly!! I cannot wait until this is over. Probably just in time for stage 2!!

Trisha and any other stage 2 girls -- do they open up any breast incisions for stage 2? Or do the fat injections not need an incision opening??

Spring. 

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2009

Ginnie I hope you are feeling better. It angers me to no end that these stuck up PS's do not want to help patients when they return home. I talked with both my BS and PS and they offered their services if I had any problems. Someone posted about a home nurse visit, that sounds like a good idea.

Well I continue to recover. I am just amazed at how good I feel. Walked over 2 miles yesterday and have a great appetite now. Looks like the two tummy drains will be gone in the next few days, perhaps one today after I talk to Liz. The other two hip drains will most likely stay in until week 3 or so. I feel so good I think I may start back to work next week partime. I work as a controller (accountant) and need to get that brain working again. I need to talk to Liz about stage 2 but I am not in a rush to have it done. My kids will be home at Xmas and I want to enjoy their visit so may put it off to Jan or Feb.

Hope everyone is making progress. Hey Jennifer I know you are doing well girl. Nordy you continue to amaze me with your strength and resolve. You are one tough and brave gal.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2009

Hi Gals,

Just talked to Liz.  I have an appointment tomorrow to get an unltrasound.....Yah!!!!!  Will let everyone know what they say when I get home.   Appt is at 1:30 CST..  Thanks for the support!!!!

Ginnie

• Springtime
    edited October 2009

Ginnie, I am so glad you are on the road to figuring this out! You sound empowered now! Let us know what happens tomorrow. 

I have really started feeling better the last few days. Sat walked 2 miles, and today 2.4, then baked three loaves of pumpkin bread. Slept well last nigh. My breast (under/between) skin is still sensitive, but lessening - still can't wear a bra - so I am not pushing it yet.  

Stephanie: The drain amounts are:  

• For Breasts and Abdomen: 2 days in a row under 20cc total per drain
    • Lumbar/butt: 2 days in a row under 30cc per drain.

I feel very lucky that mine come out really quickly. Some people's bodies just make more fluid I think trying to heal. Others not. Luck of the draw!!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2009

Good to hear Ginnie!

Wow, Spring- thats a whole lot more then I did today!

Glad you are turning the corner & starting to feel like your self again

Pam

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2009

Ginnie I am so glad you are getting an US!  Even if the local docs are being arseholes, the Center will take care of you...even from a distance!

I scheduled my final stage today!  I can't believe itI  Flashing here I come!  

I fly in 12/8, see Dr. s on 12/9 and get tattoo'd on 12/10 at noon and then fly out that evening.  I'm going to call the Hotel Monteleone and see if they will give me the same fab rate they did for Stage 2.  Hubby is actually coming with this time, so the small rooms won't matter and the location is just perfect.  I'm going to make reservations for Commander's Palace to celebrate!  

Spring, no incisions needed for fat injections.  Dr. S didn't open up my breast incisions, just the ones under my arms to excise all that extra fat.

And girls, Stage 2 is SO easy to heal up from! I feel like a million bucks! 

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2009

Gin, I hope all is going to go Okay!

Spring,- You are doing great!!!

Trishia - The end is near with a beautiful silver lining and beautiful complete breasts!! Celebrate with Hubby  at CP and then MAgazine street???

Macksix- you sound great , too!

I am feeling much better- I really think the four week mark was a huge milestone. Going back to work next week. I am a bit scared but Boss said that he is flexable with my time. Meet with Dr Allen next Monday in Manhattan and hear what he says about stage 2 .

No incisions with fat injections- great news.

how about liposuction scars? I would prefer lipo on side of thighs.

well ladies we are all moving right along!

Patty- we miss you!!

• Springtime
    edited October 2009

Trisha, I am SO GLAD no incisions for contouring with the lipo fat!! Woot! Sounds like you really bounced back fast. LET ME KNOW if you get the $79.00 rate at the Monteleone. The Homewood in Dec is $129.00... !!!

I am going to ask him to try and lower my Ab incision, so I assume that will be an incision, and drains, but as long as my breasts are left alone, i think i will recover no issue.  I hear we have butt drains in any case.... I just want my boobs left alone!!!!! No more boob nerves going bananas!

Happy, I agree, the 4 week mark was like turning a corner for me. Ever since then every day I feel better! I am 4.5 weeks now. What a difference from a week ago for me...

spring...

• Gin52
    edited October 2009

Hi all  Will be sure and post tomorrow after I have US.  I haven't had much problem with my stomach, or maybe I just haven't paid as much attention to it because of the problems I have had with my right breast.  Also, Spring, you said your incision is high?  Mine is very low, do you think that makes a difference in the pain level and how much it pulls?  With all the hoop de da over my breast, they didn't even mention the drains, but think it is ok, even with them coming out so early.  Ok, typing is getting tiresome on rt side, so tt you ladies tomorrow.  Good thoughts to all of us regardless of our "stage"!!!

Ginnie 

• Springtime
    edited October 2009

Incision of belly is apparently based on where the veins/vesscles are located, not sure it has anything to do with pain? I wish mine was LOW!! UGH. Ginnie, keep wearing compression garments until you are sure you're ok in the belly area!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2009
    • Gin - nice work getting an appt tomorrow!
    • Stephanie - Thank you!!!

Okay, I want to address everyone else, but am rushed as I am at my in-law's and I am being rude by being on the computer! Just wanted to let everyone know I have an appt w/my local PS tomorrow to have my R hip aspirated. I have quite the fluid collection in there and it is getting uncomfortable! This is the drain that has been out since last Tues.... the other one that I pulled on Friday is doing great... but maybe that is because it continues to drain out the hole a litte every morning! It makes it hard to accumulate fluid if it still has a place to drain out!!! The other is just getting to the point of being so uncomfortable... and it is not for lack of compression. My husband said he would drain it for me, but surprisingly we do not keep syringes and needles around the house... LOL. I told him to go to the drug store and tell them we needed the free needles they give away to drug users... LOL... sorry, that probably isn't funny to a lot of people. He told me neither the syringe nor the needle would be large enough to collect any fluid. Soooo.... off I go to the PS to pay $150 or so for a job my hubby could do... BUT if it brings relief... Maybe my PS will be so kind as to give us another set just in case it decides to fill up again... LOL ... And so, these are the days of our lives....

• Dejaboo
      edited October 2009

Nordy  my sister was a drug addict...But your Joke is funny!  LOL.

Im sorry you have to see your PS to have him drain your hip.  I hope it will only need this one draining!

I ccant imagine lettign dh do that.  Ouch.

Let  us know how it goes.

Pam

• Springtime
      edited October 2009

OK we need to hear back from Ginine and Nordy!!! 

Bunch of juicy women on this list!!! LOL!!! 

• Dejaboo
      edited October 2009

LOL.

Yes, we are all waiting to hear some good Drain stories.

Pam

• anniese
      anniese Member Posts: 69
      edited October 2009

Hi all - sorry I can't give you a good drain story.  Just an update - my drains got all the way down to around 50 cc output last week and then Thursday of last week the right one jumped all the way back up to 100cc per day.  This went on all weekend.  Yesterday morning - one day shy of 7 weeks with drains - I was told it was time to have them removed no matter what (risk of infection was now greater than the risk of too much fluid).  So, FINALLY, after 7 weeks I can say I am drain free.  I am really fearful of 'popping a hole' or getting a seroma, but the freedom from the drains is heavenly! 

Nordy - so sorry to hear about your seroma.  I hope you don't have to get this drained more than once!!!!  Let us know how that goes!

Ginnie - hope your US goes okay!

• PATTY50
      PATTY50 Member Posts: 20
      edited October 2009

Hi girls,

Sorry I have updated everyone but our internet connection at the hospital was problematic.

Anyways, we got back to the Hope Lodge yesterday afternoon.  My surgery (stacked diep was on Wednesday).

There was definitely a lot of drama, but successful and I am so happy to have a squishy and warm breast!

Now about the drama.  The surgery took about 6 hours and during the night and next day all was going well.  I didn't even have any nausea which was a first for me.   They removed the catheter and allowed me to get out of bed and sit down.  After that they had trouble hearing one of the arteries with the Doppler.  Also I could feel that part of the breast was much colder to the touch.  Dr. Allen came to check on me and he thought that it might resolve on its own if I stayed in bed.

Unfortunately it got worse and he was called in again.  He explained that because I have low blood pressure, when I got out of bed the change in pressure may have caused a blood clot to get clogged in the artery and not enough pressure to push it out.  I needed to go back for surgery to cut out clot and reattach artery.  I was told before surgery that complications like this can happen 4% of the time per artery and since I had a stacked (2 arteries) I had an 8% chance.  Lucky me!!

I had surgery that night which took about 45 minutes.  Then bed rest which was difficult since the catheter had been removed.

I was so worried about constipation but my big problem was peeing!!!  I had a lot of pressure and full bladder but no matter how hard I pushed nothing came out.  The pain was unbearable and they had to put the catheter back in.  As soon as that little sucker went in the relief was instantaneous.  I must have filled the bag.  Anyone else have problems peeing after surgery?  When they took the catheter out the next day, I continued having a difficult time for a few days.

I was also put back on IV for heparin instead of shots in leg to prevent any other blood clots. 

On Saturday I was finally allowed to go for a walk. After two laps down the hall, I stopped to chat with another of Dr. Allen's patients.  All of a sudden I got severe nausea and started to feel like I would faint. I braced myself against the wall and told my husband.  Thank God he was there to catch me!  It seems that by standing for a long time my blood pressure took a nosedive (65/45).  I was terrified that the pressure drop would cause problems again for the arteries but luckily the blood flow was really good.)

The nurses at NY eye and ear were really wonderful and took good care of me. They teased me about all the drama I was causing. 

Instead of being let out of the hospital early which Dr. Allen allows if all is going well, I ended up having to stay for 5 days.  Bed rest was very difficult and I can't imagine how some women do it for sometime months during pregnancies.

I was hoping that I would have enough skin from my skin sparing mx and expansion so that I would not have to have a patch, but unfortunately that was not possible.  Still even with all the scars,  it looks soooooo much better than either of my implant exchanges. It looks like a breast now. I am very happy  with it and thankful to Dr. Allen for pioneering this surgery that has given me back my femininity and allowed me to remove an implant that was a constant reminder of what I had lost.  I have scheduled phase II for mid December.

Nordy, thanks for the info on where to get the tea. We did not have access to internet so didn't info till today.  Luckily, miralax twice a day and colace daily did the trick.

Hugs,

Patty

• macksix6
      macksix6 Member Posts: 125
      edited October 2009

Patty

I had great difficulty getting out of bed as well. We tried for 3 days and each time they got me standing my blood pressure just crashed. It had something to do with regulating my fluid levels in my body. Finally on day four I was able to stand up on my own and get around. I have also experience the bladder thing after each one of my deliveries. It is an issue where your baldder is over extended (too full) and it must spasm so that you can not release the urine. I usually had to have the catheter replaced and that did the trick. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and tinkle often.

My progress has been great. Will talk to Liz today about removing one of the tummy drains, both are below 20cc.

Nordy I hope you get some comfort from draining your hip and that's the end of it.

Ginnie hope you get some answers today.

• happy29
      edited October 2009

Patty- so Great to hear from you. Wow that sounds so scary at times.Sealed I am sorry that you had to go back under but Thank Goodness for Dr. Allan's experience that he could salvage the flap!! This is exactly why Experience is the such an important factor with Flaps!

Isn't he amazing?

Your DH must have been a nervous wreck. He sounds like he pulled through like a Champ!! You are such a champ, Patty- after all you have been through. Scars will fade over time, Patty.

I am meeting with him next Monday October 12th to see about stage 2- it may be mid December like youSmile I hope you are feeling better and can rest well.

Anniese- YAY!! Freedom!

Macksix- I hope teh tummy drain comes out!!

Nordy-I hope you have good news for us after today- fingers crossed.

Happy

• Dejaboo
      edited October 2009

anniese- I hope you dont get any fluid build up.  I bet it feels wonderful to have those drains gone!  

Wow, Patty.  That is scary.  Im glad that they saved the flap!

Sounds like a hard time in the hospital.   When I couldn't go after my Hyster...I sang a song to myself Tinkle Tinkle. (little star)..And just made up words...And really it relaxed me & helped me go- LOL

Pam

• Springtime
      edited October 2009
      Patty, what a drama queen you are!!! ... I have heard that any "skin patches" will eventually sort of disappear after about 2 years. Apparently, all the skin starts to meld together and look the same. Did anyone mention this to you?

I have always been able to pee, just constipation issues! (Pam, Tinkle Tinkle little star... LOL!!! I run the water in the sink!!) I am not allowing my bladder to hear or see this, I don't want to give it any Phase 2 ideas!!!!

Mack/Stephanie, did you get through? Sounds like those suckers are on the way
      out!!! You have made an amazing recover after your BP crashing issues of the first few days!!

I could not agree with Happy more... for flaps, you need somebody EXPERIENCED!!!!

Anniese, I have a local friend who is on 7+ weeks. One drain out and one almost out I think (getting there). The one that came out keeps like leaking out the hole where tube was. She is going through those ABD pads like crazy, I gave her my left overs! Let me know if you want her name/email (PM ME) and I will send.
      She is very nice and it might be nice for the two of you to be able to relate to each other!!!!! And share what happens next...

Nordy and Ginnie, no updates??? your public awaits....

• Gin52
      edited October 2009

Ok, some news - I do need to have both tummy and right breast drained - both have fluid.  Problem is that local hospital cannot get me in to do it till Fri at 9:30.  I let Liz know I can wait (have waited this long!) if she thinks it is ok to wait that long, and also gave her info on another hospital that is on my insurance.  Can't feel better yet, but at least know I WILL feel better when these sites are aspirated.  Actually, she did not "officially" US my tummy, but did it "off the record" (which was very nice of her!!) so I know I have fluid on both sides.   Will let ya'll know what happens if anything before Fri., otherwise...will be back on here then.....   Thanks for caring!   Ginnie

• Springtime
      edited October 2009

Ginnie, GOOD!! You have a plan. I once had my arm pit aspirated after SNB, felt like there was a ROCK in there!!! It felt SOoooooo Gooooood. Relief is coming! Relief is coming!!

• Nordy
      edited October 2009

ahhhhh... Did I make a wager at all on the amount I thought my local PS would aspirate? Ummm, I don't think I did, but I should have!!! I was guessing around 50cc - and she aspirated 48! Then she gave me an abdominal binder to wear in ADDITION to the the dominatrix outfit! Good gravy - my body is HOT (and I don't mean temperature) in this gettup. My waist looks like it belongs to Barbie... and where my boobs have no nipples - you would think they made the Barbie mold from me! So, I have relief and another appointment for Thursday afternoon to make sure that it is not accumulating a lot more fluid again. The aspiration did not hurt even a little - to say that my sensation back there is diminished would probably be an understatement... and is probably not a bad thing considering the circumstances! So there you have it! (And the left one just keeps draining through the hole... so no accumulation there! I just sweep the fluid over that way so that it stays empty - although probably not conducive to the hole closing... Just keeping the betadine on!) 

Anniese - I hope that you stay nice and compressed and don't have issues with fluid accumulation, but if it happens, it just takes about 10 minutes to have it removed!

Patty - Holy cow... NUTS - I am so glad that everything has turned out okay! Whew! Yes, I second Happy on the importance of having an experienced microsurgeon. If only more people would listen to all of us... Soooo glad to hear you are doing better and that you didn't need the tea! 

Stephanie - So glad to hear you are doing well! And on the road to having one less drain!!! woooppp

Spring... I have to tell you, you have to take me off the Dec. stage 2 list. Frown I will miss you!!! BUT, I cannot get into surgery this month - not w/my ob/gyn and not w/the onc/gyn. My appt. w/the onc/gyn is not until the end of this month, then the two of them do the davinci together anyway, one is the lead and one assists - but neither can get me in this month!!! So, I am postponing my stage 2 until after the hyst/bso since that will be covered this year in its entirety - plus then I won't have to worry about accidently getting pregnant after stage 2 and all the tidying up they will do! I think I am headed to NOLA in March as my girlfriend needs nipples made by Dr. M and so we are going to go together and try to get surgery the same day. I hope that she can go sooner than later as I want my buttocks to look normal before summer and biking shorts hit! I can hide the hiney in ski pants, but not spandex!!! 

OH, and speaking of Spandex... if any of you went with the knock-off spanx... return them! My reasoning is posted on the spanx thread by AnneW. Sometimes there is nothing like the real thing baby... Wink

Jennifer - Girl, I hope you are recouperating well!!!

Gin - hoping you get relief sooner than later! I am sorry for what you are going through!

• happy29
      edited October 2009

Hang in there- Gin!!

Nordy- WHEW! SO glad you were aspirated. Glad it is still numb- worked in your favor.  I am Thrilled to hear how FABULOUS you look!! You Go Girl!! We should all just call you , Barbie!! You also sound very confident in your decisions about your further surgeries- that is great! It sounds it will all work out for the best then you can continue to move forward with your life and family! (without all these decisions)  I feel like I forget what that is like so I CAN NOT imagine after all you have been through. The light at the end of the tunnel is ahead! More like the Pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow- your final nipples will just be icing on the cake.,

I am feeling very very numb on my inner buttocks (where the incisions are located) also numbness on my breasts(left imparticular where nipple was taken. )It kind of freaks me out. I am trying not to panic. (like pulling the drains ) It can be such a mind game for me.  Will I ever get my feeling back?

I am thinking of posting on timtam. do  any of you have pics up?

• LindaG47
      LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
      edited October 2009
      Hey EVERYONE, Speaking of Spanx- I have some I bought about 3 years ago and they are the high waisted style.  Are these OK or do I just want a panty style?  I am not a NOLA girl, but enjoy all the chatting between you gals. It helps me prepare for my surgery which will be  Nov. 12 in SC with Drs. Massey and Craigie, also two phenomenal surgeons.  I won't have the "SPA" experience, but my insurance wouldn't pay anything if I didn't use a in-network hospital and Roper in SC is in network for me.   The only SC ladies I know are AnneW, LeeMcC and me.  Anyone know anyone else?  Also, can someone explain why the Spanx?  Does one need compression for healing?  Those suckers are hard to pull up and down......now that I think about it, I do think they have a pull away crotch......how convenient.Kiss Linda
    • AnneW
      AnneW Member Posts: 612
      edited October 2009

Linda,

Dr. Massey doesn't require you to wear Spanx after Stage 1. I needed some compression after my SGAP first stage, but it was in the form of panties or Lycra bike-type pants. I found some super-duper tummy (and hiney) control panties that worked best.

For Stage 2 with the lipo, I'll be in compression for at least 6 weeks. Maybe twice that long. Spanx-style from the waist to the knees will suit me best.

I felt best when I had firm compression. Helps the drains come out quicker, too (for most of us!)

Anne

• NebrNan
      NebrNan Member Posts: 23
      edited October 2009

So should I buy Spanx before I head to NOLA for Stage 2 or do I need to wait to see where the harvest areas are?

Are any of you post op girls using Mederma gel on your incisions? When I had my mx my surgeon recommended massaging the incisions with Vit E (after the incision had healed) a few times a day. My doctor said it was inconclusive whether it was due to the Vit E or the massaging, but I think it really helped my scar. I asked Dr. D about doing the same for my Stage 1 incisions. He said he prefers Mederma or Scar Fade (starting 3 wks post op) as he thinks Vit E can clog your pores. These are more expensive but I have started using the Mederma. I found the Mederma at my grocery store and it was cheaper there than at Walgreens.  

• Nordy
      edited October 2009

Linda - although Warrior had her surgery at NOLA - I believe her primary surgeon was Dr. Massey. Also, my girlfriend that lives here and is trying to go to NOLA for her nipples went to SC for stage 1 and 2 w/Dr. Massey - DIEP. Dr. M just delayed doing her nipples because she did a reduction on her remaining breast during stage 2 and wanted to make sure that when she makes her a nipple it matches up w/that one once they both start to hang a bit. Very conscientious!

• happy29
      edited October 2009

I hope LeeMc is doing well and resting her bodySmile If I recall correctly she said that Dr Allen was assisting DR Craigie in her surgery. We are all very fortunate to be in good hands with all these amazing Physicians.

I keep thinking of you Patty and  how Dr Allen was able to diagnose the problem and go back in to correct it.  we may talk about other issues but in the Big picture most of them are minor. (except for the woman-cant recall her name that had a flap failure and fortunately was able to have another operation) So please do not get scared away if your surgery is coming up!

Nebrnan- let me know how the Mederma works. Dr Allan feels that there is no magic cream hmmm...

Linda- what type of Flap  surgery are you having?

• LindaG47
      LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
      edited October 2009

Happy,Thanks for asking.  I am having bilateral DIEP.  One delayed and one immediate.  No bc in the one breast, but don't want to take any chances and this way they will build two just alikeWink  Glad you are doing better.  Hope you are happy with how everything looks and feels.  Does anybody know of anyone else going to SC in Nov?  All you ladies are amazing sharing your stories......the good the bad and the ugly!! 

Linda