Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2011

Daze, you are welcome! 

Hi Ann! Drain free! Whoop! That is excellent! Just wait until you get the tattoos. mine were nearly identical but the tats made them perfect. It is nice to feel complete! And done! I love it!

OK so the butt is not going to be like it was. but between now and stage 2, the skin will relax, when you go for stage 2, they sort of lift your butt so that the "shark bite" is gone. At least, that's how it was for me. I think they can inject fat too to help. if susie has specific Q, she could post it on the "Ask the Doctor" site, and Dr. D will answer. Or she could call the office and ask. Or wait until closer to Stage 2 surgery date, take pics of it, send in, and as her Q about what exactly will be done.

OH I do hope you have safe flight and no delays!!! 

• treerock
    treerock Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2011

Haven't been on in a couple of days? It will take me a while to back-read everything/ so far you all sure do make me feel not so .... wondering if I'm the only one out their thinking some stuff, and then I get on the blog and start reading and realize I'm not the only one thinkng about "my hairy boobs" or etc.... (yeah!) -that's what I like keepin' it real :)

thanks 2 for the name compliment- part of my name- happen to like trees and rocks (that in-itself is another story) but sure glad for the mention thou! -

As far as sucess of stage 2- the whole contouring aspect- lovin' it (exception of to be expected 4 recovering pain and so forth...)

still liking to wear the compression garmets-spanx-etc... makes me feel better swelling wise, although since stage 1 -I still continue to lose weight - first time I actually have a "waist line"

by end of the night I can hear my bed calling my name... sorry DH.

and then today- (aprox. 6-7weeks ago after stage 2) all of a sudden I noticed that one of the two awesome nipples-all of a sudden-appears flat..... flatter than the other and perhaps more than what it seems it should be.. so how does one know??  I have heard about nipple failure and additonal stages-done on touch ups... since my nipples before were less than remarkable (i'm sure that their is a better word to describe them than that-can't think of it at the moment now) how will I know if it failure or what is considered to be expected. any suggestions short of sending off pictures that are hard to really tell.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2011

Hi Springtime!

dbhaze - LOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! Flash them and yell "Cancer Survivor!" I bet you would get soooooooo many beads! Actually, 99.999 % of the beads are not gotten by flashing. I have only seen a couple of women ever actually lift up their tops to get beads, altho that is something many men on balconies wish would happen way more. A few men are real jerks and just stand there with an armful of beads and few, if any, takers. On really wild nights on Bourbon, like Halloween and during Mardi Gras, there may be enough of a crowd that there are some women who will do it. But most of the time, folks just throw the beads and enjoy the fun of doing so. During the parades, there are probably even fewer who will bare their breasts, as it is actually illegal to do this. Certainly no one on the floats would be egging gals on to do it. The worst offenders are undoubtedly the tourists - both those who want the flashing and those who do it! There is actually a NOLA grad who I did see flash her huge breasts to a whole bunch of guys on a balcony - but that's another story...

Ann - Tell your sister that, also, to make the altered derriere look better, they lipo the back upper thigh to create more of a curve underneath.

I join the gals who say lipo is definitely worth the bruising (which disappears pretty quickly) and pain (which lingers a while, can be not too much fun for a few weeks and even feel a bit "off" a couple months later). The effects seem to show up at different times depending on the person. In my experience, it took a while, and about the time I quit looking in the mirror all the time, I just happened to look and it stopped me dead in my tracks and I said out loud "Oh My God!" and kind of fell in love with my body and spent lots of time gazing at myself in the mirror saying, "How did he do that?!!!"

Treerock - I like both of those, too! So my nipples weren't that great before, either, especially one of them. They are both better now. I don't know how to tell what's going on with yours now, other than to say to send them a photo. They can do a few things to pump them up a little. I had one of mine done again. I think it's more substantial this time, but only time will tell. They do tend not to hold up too well, unfortunately. I mean, they may still project a bit, but don't have much substance.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2011

I'm up late, wound up about leaving for NOLA in a few hours!  I cannot recall the instructions for caring for the tattoos--it's been over 2 1/2 years since my first time.  Donn is doing them on Thursday and I have a workout scheduled back here at home on Tuesday morning---should I cancel it?

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2011

treerock--you sound like someone who likes to climb!

Anne

• treerock
    edited January 2011

AnneW- I like to hike more than the climbing. But the name really does describe me in different aspects-been nicked named by DH as Tree, the rock comes from my love for ....rocks-all different sizes, use to have a rock tumbler-back when the kids were little-sure wish i would have moved that with everything else i decided to keep-oh well. . And- it is apart of my first name Teresa-  But good guess!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited January 2011

Sandy I think you should be fine, but I was just told to keep them covered with an ointment and then cover them.  I was never told any other restrictions.  Oh, I was also told to go without anything for as long as possible. 

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies, We will be leaving for NOLA for stage 2 in two weeks! I feel like I'm just getting back in to the swing of things and will have to have some down time again. I know, it's all for the good and I really do need to get this butt looking "normal" again. My seroma is still putting out pretty well too. These weekly aspirations are getting old!

Minn - Thx for your input on my hairy boob situation. We'll see what happens after stage 2 and go from there. Dr D may be able to fix some of it with surgery and the rest with the laser. Having a thick head of Spanish hair is great on the head but not so great on other parts of the body. 

Sandy - Have a safe trip and good luck with your last trip to NOLA for recon :-) Your new biz facility looks huge and awesome. I wish you all the best with your next chapter in the bridal world but please don't forget to take time for Sandy :-)

Spring - Thx for the description of the "butt fixin". I did wonder how Dr D would fill in my big shark bites. Fat injections just didn't seem to be enough. A butt lift sounds great :-)

just4ann - How great that you could do something like this with your sis. Congrats and good healing to both of you.

dbdaze - Thx for asking some great questions. I learned a lot from the answers. 

My phone is ringing again. Must get back to work! Bye all! 

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2011

Feeling rather discouraged today about my lipo. I am 3 weeks post op and see NO DIFFERENCE. I know that this has been a common topic and that it can take a long time to see the full results, but I'm wondering how many saw no change by this point!

Also when did everyone stop wearing the nipple guards. The last thing I heard from the center was 3 weeks but I am feeling protective of my new nipples:) Sandy, I know you wore the nipple guards for really long time. Did you think it helped?

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Daze, I changed Phase to Stage.

Amy, Try not to be discouraged. But remember this, you can always go back for 2B if there are a few things really bothering you. I did after I waited almost a year. Now there are no lingering thoughts, and I feel done and "complete".

Sandy, I think by day 4 your tattoos will have turned the corner, or almost nearly so. The first three days are not so fun, but nothing compared to everything else we've been through! I had one side that did a major peel, and once that skin came off the top, there was lovely pink skin under, and the nipple looked so much better. My other side (non rads) never did peel. I treated them both the same, of course. Donn will give you all the instructions you need for post care, even a little Neutragina soap, the little Aquafor tube, etc.  It comes in a lovely green bag, like the one you get for the nipple protectors. 

For compression and nipple guards, I pretty much did what they said, now ever many weeks they recommended. For my recon nipple, I was careful for the first 3-4 months not to squish it with compression tops (for LE) and stuff like that. It is not like my real one, but close enough that it looks good to me. 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2011

Amy,  I am a day ahead of you and I still can't get most of my regular pants to button.  I feel I should be wearing something other than leggings and sweats to work.  My legs have gone down on the outside of my thighs but my mid section seems to swell as the day goes on.  I am giving it 3 months before I get discouraged.

My biggest issue seems to be my lower back.  Has anyone else had problems with this?  It just feels much weaker than before and now that I am back sitting at a desk it really aches and burns. 

Good luck to all coming up for Stage 2. 

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2011

So how long should should you wait before you decide if you need a stage 2 or not?

• mamaluch
    edited January 2011

Treerock- I am having a similar issue with the flattening nipple. I will probably call the center, not sure if they can fix it. Overall, I am real happy with most everything else. It's been a month so I think I will continue to see results based on what everyone is saying.

Has anyone had experience with insurance coverage for stage 2b? What is the determining factor?

Thanks for answering my questions! 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2011

I'm fairly new to this board. I was diagnosed with stage 0 DCIS in mid-November and then found I was BRCA2+ in early December. It's been a series of shocks, disappointments and doctor visits.  I live in CA but over Christmas I visited my mother and a doctor there told her about NOLA. I figured - I live in the breast capitol of the world -- why would I go to New Orleans. But I talked to people, felt a lot of breasts (both flap and implant) and on Sunday I flew down to New Orleans to meet with Dr. Sullivan (well, it was supposed to be Dr. DellaCroce but he had food poisoning.) Anyway, I felt that this was the place for me.  So I am now scheduled for a bilateral hip-flap on January 20th.  I leave on the 18th. 

Tracee - I see that you're going to be there at the same time, although I may be leaving the hospital as you are coming.  Would you like to be my surgery buddy?  Anyone else going to be there?

Also, where have people stayed and what are their thoughts on accommodations?  I am sure that's been discussed somewhere in this long strand of posts but I don't think I can make it through all of them before I leave.

Lastly, anyone have any suggestions and thoughts for me? I am excited, nervous and nauseous all at the same time -- but mostly relieved to have made a choice and move forward.

Thanks!

Kathryn

• treerock
    edited January 2011

I didnt really notice much difference in size til just recently-the 17th will be 8 weeks out, still have some swelling and unexplained-sporadic shooting/achey pains -just basiclly entire torso area  -I think it's just part of healing, kind'of forgotten what it feels like to feel "normal". My bellybutton is just now starting to not look - scary and more like a real bellybutton (had a infection goin' in their -took longer than norm. to heal).

II'm thinking that the nipple thing may be okay-I guess not willing to really focus on it to much cuz' I knew from the getgo- they wern't stayin' like they looked coming out of surgery!! And I feel so much- better about how I look -between having smaller boobs(lovin' it)-for me was so great. Had to buy new bra's so-had the lady measure me-because my brain- seems to be still stuck in the "old size" frame of mind to the point it really seemed like one of those "dreams" (nightmare's) and just couldn't believe I needed to buy the smaller size-I was so atypical that even at a 42DD could not fit both in without stuffing my self unreasonably so on the one side..

I guess I also- the scare of breast cancer also is changed so much-not to mention that the fibrocystic aspect I was always hurting and then wondering -is this it-no i guess it doesn't hurt...? Worry... Go get checked...mamogram isn't enough go get a ultra sound-hmmm...go get a MRI just to make sure- ok clear this time- but you come back in 6 months and do that all over again...for me finding out I was BRAC 1 positive - at first was hard to swallow-but now I'm thinking- beng preventive really worth knowing- 

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2011

Kathryn,  boy that is a lot on your plate in a short time.  I think you will be happy with your decision. You have picked some of the best of the bunch and will be in great hands, (no pun intended. LOL)  Good luck to you and let everyone know how you are doing once you feel up to it.  

Linda 

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2011

Welcome Kathryn. Sorry that you have to go through this, but I second what Linda said - you're going to be very happy with your decision to go NOLA. I had bilateral Hip Flap too back in June, and I am thrilled with how things went.

I did not stay in a hotel in NOLA (stayed in a friend's place), but some favorite hotels that are often mentioned on this thread include Homewood Suites, Bienville House, and Hotel Monteleone. Katie at the center can get you get you discounted rates at these places that are sometimes lower than what you'll find on internet sites.

I actually think it's a good thing that your surgery is coming up so soon, because for many of us the anxiety of thinking/waiting for this surgery was by far the hardest part.You will do great.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited January 2011

Amy - my lipo size difference was not noticeable until about 4 weeks out, really, and then even more another week or two beyond that.  It seems to need time to soften up and settle down, in my experience. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2011

Hi Laughlines!!!!

Kathryn - I also like Place d'Armes. And I agree with Laughlines. You will be totally happy with the decision you made - you'll come to feel you were meant to be there. So sorry you've had to go thru so much in such a short time.

Amy - Don't get discouraged. They sucked the stuff out. It did not grow back. The results will eventually become visible - oh joy!

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Melinda, I had plication in stage 2 and it was swollen at least 5 monhts (and I just had from belly button down). It is still not flat. but very much better Try not to get discouraged. Dr. D told me it could take 12-18 months for the abdomen to recover. Try to be patient. I was not, but maybe you can be?? :)

Kathryn, Welcome. I am so happy for you that you chose NOLA. Sandy (who is in NOLA right now) is also from LA and did not have a good experience locally in LA area (she can fill you in at some point!) so I am doubly glad you are going to NOLA!!! I believe Sandy can also tell you about a local support/get together they have occasionally if you are interested in meeting with other NOLA ladies - I think it is Encourage and it is centered around a topic.

Anyway, that is all getting ahead. Of course you have a million questions.  You know about the limo, right? You get free limo service to and from airport and hotel for all your medical stuff. So no worries there. If costs are an issue, ask Katie at the center about Hope Lodge, it is free. If not, there are several nice places. We always stay at Hilton Homewood Suites because of the extra space (you get a separate bedroom which is private to the LR/Kitchen area - so someone can be sleeping while the other is watching TV, etc). They have a full breakfast every morning and a light supper Monday - Thursday nights. All free. It is a few blocks off of Canal street, so walkable to the French Quarter. I've also stayed at Hope Lodge and Hotel Monteleone, and LaPavillion (I would say at Homewood rather than LaPav).

Most important. You are in the BEST of hands. They are truly world class, and you will be treated like a princess and I am not kidding!! They have oooober experience. You should feel a deep peace under all the understandable nervousness and excitement. You are doing the right thing. Hope this help! The ladies here are great, ask all your questions. We have all been where you are now.

Spring. 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2011
    Kathryn - welcome, you have made a wise decision going to NOLA.  I had a bilateral SGAP with Dr. D. (but Sullivan does stunning hip flaps! :)) I wanted to chime in that I have stayed at the Hope Lodge (free but far away from everything) Homewood Suites (ok) and the Clarion Boutique Hotel on St. Charles.  I think bar none, the Clarion Boutique Hotel is the most convenient for whomever might be accompanying you.  I say this because it is the only hotel (in my opinion) within walking distance from the hospital (3 blocks, maybe 2 on the same street as the hospital) .  Your caregiver can walk back and forth visiting you and especially with Stage 1, the surgery is so long that it's nice for him/her to be able to do that.  I just found it very convenient, the most convenient, location wise.  I think it's 80-90 a night (center's rate if booked through Katie).  Good luck!
  • mamaluch
    edited January 2011

Hi Holtbolt- hope you are doing well!

Welcome Kathryn- I'm glad you were given good advise- you are in good hands!

P.S. Can ANYONE answer my questions on bottom of p. 291- I must learn not to post on bottom of page-feel lost. Help! 

• holtbolt
    edited January 2011

Hi mamaluch!  I am!  Hope you are too!  Do you mean the insurance question?  I can add my two cents about that but not the nipple question, mine are holding up, thankfully.   I went back for a Stage 2B and I think it varies with insurance companies... they had no problem covering revisions to the breasts again (considering it an ongoing reconstruction project) but after covering lipo for Stage 1 and 2, they balked and decided they weren't going to cover it a third time, calling it cosmetic (ha).   I had to get Cappy to fight on my behalf with Anthem BCBS Indiana through 2 appeals and they finally agreed after she convinced them it was necessary to revise my donor site.  Cappy is awesome, btw.  Other insurance companies are probably easier... I heard mine was one of the worst for the Center to deal with. :(  I switched insurance 1/1 to Cigna .... now it will be interesting to see what Cigna thinks about covering nipple tattoos in 2011. lol.    Anyone have Cigna HSA?  Fun!

Good Luck upcoming January girls.... Sandy, Xfit, Tracee, Kathryn ..... 

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2011

Kathryn:  If you are interested in staying at Place d'Armes be sure to check out their "special rates" on their website -- you can sometimes get a room for as little as $50 depending on the day and time of year.  Haven't stayed there yet, but my daughter and I have reservations for the last half of my Stage 2 visit.  That's another option to you -- if you are concerned about expenses, you can split up your stay.  Hope Lodge BEFORE your surgery and then transfer to a hotel in the French Quarter for after you are released from the hospital.  Hope Lodge is great and I so appreciate the ability to stay there without charge but it is quite aways from things.  We did the "split" thing during Stage 1 and I found that it really helped being in the French Quarter -- I walked a lot and felt so much better for it.

• mamaluch
    edited January 2011

Holtbolt, is Cappy someone at the center or someone at your insurance company?

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2011

Kathryn!!!! I am so happy your appt went well... And you get Dr. Sullivan by default!!! You know I think he is the best! Wink (winking for all the Dr. D girls!) Hurray!!!!!

Mamaluch - My insurance is refusing to cover a stage 2B... but then again, this is from an insurance company that told my friend she didn't need reconstruction because it was "not medically necessary" and I really had to fight them to cover mine... so... I am just saying my insurance company totally sucks, and you may have better luck with yours! 

Still fighting for stage 2b, by the way. Expecting to hear from them this week. Ugh. 

Laughlines --- Hi!!!

• holtbolt
    edited January 2011

Cappy is at the Center and she fought for me, bigtime.

• mamaluch
    edited January 2011

Nordy- I know how difficult insurance can be, Mine put up a battle with stage 1 insisting that there were Drs. in my area that did reconstruction and that DIEP wasn't necessary. I ended up crying everytime I got on the phone. It wasn't until we worked up a number based on our financial situation with Liz, that Candy was able to get an agreement with my insurance company(United). The reps at the insurance company were the most uncaring people I ever spoke to. Thankfully, it all worked out in the end.

So, I just wanted to get an idea from you girls before I attempted to jump in again.

I am for the most part extremely pleased, but I know Dr. D. also said he wants us to be able to look at our naked bodies in the mirror and be happy. My one nipple has just flattened out completely and the other one is not. So, it looks a little odd. I don't want to be selfish though because I am so relieved to be cancer free and the girls look great otherwise!

What do you girls think? How did you make your decision to go back? 

• mamaluch
    edited January 2011

P.S. Nordy- I will keep you in my prayers that your insurance company covers your stage 2b- What are they giving you as the reason for the refusal? Good Luck! 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2011

Has anyone ever ask for butt implants after SGAP.  I never had much of a rear before and I have had Stage 2 but, I just think something else is going to be needed.