Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2011

All this compression garment stuff is exactly what I am thinking about this morning:) I actually posted a question on the ask the doctor site about how long to wear compression, since the post op instructions just said wear for 2 weeks.It was interesting to see his response--he thinks 6 weeks is a good idea!  So, I am going to get a Marena. I was thinking about this one:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-98-2nd-stage-girdle-with-short-legs.aspx

Is this the one that most have used? It's high waisted but doesn't cover where I had the back lipo, so I wonder if I should get the higher one????

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2011

Amy, I would definitely get a garment that gives you compression to cover the areas where you've had lipo.

Melinda, I think it's really up to us and whether we are completely happy as to whether another surgery is scheduled.  I know that there are some women who don't even really feel the need to go back for stage II because their stage I has turned out so wonderfully.  I do know that our doctors go the extra mile (or ten in my case!) to please us and they work hard to achieve the best possible result for each of us with as few surgeries as possible.  If you have a concern, send a photo to your nurse for an opinion.  Based upon my experience, you're not going to be told that it's nothing or that you need to move on, forget about how you look without clothes, etc. like some other doctors have said.  They really want us to be happy with our outcome, but of course, that takes extra commitment on our part too.

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2011

Treerock. I believe what you are referring to is called TRPP. which stands for 3 rivers physician plan. And I have Aetna and the center is out of network for me but if your insurace has a TRPP clause in it then , at least mine, will cover the procedures at the Center if no other doctor does the same procedure within 50 miles. Call you insurance company and question about this. I have had 3 surgeries so far at the center and have had to pay 80 dollars to Dr D and 300 for pathology lab. If you have any questions you can PM me. Hope that info helps Sally

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited January 2011

(putting my fingers in my ears and humming ... lalalalalala) .. at Sally's numbers...lol  TMI

Just popping in to wish you all a wonderful 2011.  :)  Smile

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited January 2011

hottbutt~ Your are doing the la,la, la and I am jealous....lol..... 

Update on my lump (or odd area)~ I e-mailed onc. who was on vacation and he said to take some advil.  I NEVER take advil so I did it for 3 days and then the area was gone and will hopefully stay that way for good.  So I haven't made an appt. and hopefully I iwll not have to and just see him in March. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2011

Compression garments.

The one AMY posted above is the one I got. DO NOT BE FOOLED! It looks like it will only come a bit above your waist, but I could pull mine up all the way to my bra! It gives a LOT of coverage. It is the one I would recommend.

2T, I had a phase 1 Marena like the one you linked to, (I got it on ebay for 19.99 - so I was like, what the heck) and I did not like it. I ended up cutting off the straps, then it was awkward and would not stay up. I got the one Amy linked to, and liked that one a lot. 

The Marina group, you can order a few, but be very careful when you open them and try on. If you want to return, just fold up carefully and reseal in the packages. You can get a full refund. The lady on phone (I tried Web order but the Web didn't work for me, so I called). Said some people order multiple garments in many sized, rip open the packages, try them on, keep on, and send the rest back. She said they have to "throw them out" after that. I think they "throw them out" at ebay, but I didn't ask her! Anyway. I ordered a compression bra that I returned in this way. Just said I "changed my mind". I got a full refund to my credit card.

My Marena - I got this one in black, and I loved it. I only wish I had it for post stage 1 and 2!!! I got it after 2B!! 

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-98-2nd-stage-girdle-with-short-legs.aspx 

Melinda - I had the 4 flaps too, and needed stage 2B. I am completely satisfied now. I think it just depends. And with 4 flaps and front and back involved, there is a lot going on that could potentially need attention. I'm glad I did it. There were a few things bothering me after Stage 2. However, I waited 10 months for 2B to see if they were still bothering me!  things may settle over time. But my issues persisted.

m

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Jamie, a lump disappeared from ADVIL??? Can you tell us more? Good grief! Who knew.

Oh Nordy, what a sad sad story. The poor little thing. Don't you wish you could smack that woman? Actually, telling her you'd take her daughter is even better. But you're right, she may try to deck you, and that would not be good!! Also, HAVING BOOBS IS VERY NICE. !!! I concur!

Sandy, good luck packing for the trip! Sounds like a lot going on! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2011

OMG - 2T! I got in an argument in Cali with a girl that was tailgaiting me and waving her arms around like a madwoman. My husband didn't do a thing despite the fact that she wanted me to get out of the car, so she could try to beat me up in front of my kids! She probably out weighed me by a hundred pounds... and he just sat there! Ten years ago, I would have told the lady off. But people are crazier now. They don't think twice about using physical means or weapons when you have offended them. It is not just "get in an argument, say your peace, walk away" anymore. I think I am just going to start to tell people I work for CPS and if they don't want me to come investigate them, that they should think about how they are talking to their kids... ! Okay, so it is a lie... LOLOLOLOL In which case I maybe won't be able to pull it off, because I am not a good liar! But I am going to try!

HOT Butt and Jaimie - Yes, I try to cover my ears and sing the lala song when I hear Sally's numbers too! But then I just think, good thing someone's insurance is covering more so that it can help compensate where mine doesn't and keep my prices from being a complete fortune! 

So... I should have my reply about my revisions back this week. I still am expecting a negative answer (not that I am a pessimist, but I know my insurance company). If this is the case, I am going to save lots and lots of $$ so that I can try to pay out of pocket next fall... OR, I am going to try to get insurance to cover only one breast and my hernia repair... OR... well, I don't know! Thank goodness it is not a rush now!

Jaimie! Hurray for Advil! What the heck caused the lump then? Did you bump your boob and have an inflammatory response? That is so crazy! Glad to hear it is resolved though!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2011

So ladies let me see if I have this right -- after Stage 2 you're provided with a compression outfit but at some point (not right away??) most of you have found it much more comfortable to wear a Marena garment?  How long after Stage 2 do you make the switch and why not from the beginning.  Is it because of the drains?  In that case, you'd switch whenever the drains came out?  The count down has begun for me, so I'm wanting to get everything ready.

Just realized that my Feb 17 date, puts us in NO in time to watch the first of the Mardi Gras parades!  Planned to stay at Hope Lodge the whole time but this morning, I felt like I needed (deserved?) a treat -- made the flight arrangements to leave 2 days before and returning 5 days after AND I made hotel reservations at Hotel d'Armes for the last 3 nights.  I think that's the hotel that you recommended Nordy?  I'm stoked!

~ Debbie 

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2011

My oncologist thinks that I may have had an inflammed lymph node from the funk that my kids bring home.  I have NEVER had a lymph node that I knew was inflammed.  So I took the advil and thought what the hell it's not going to do anything but I'll try it.  Then I noticed after day 2 that it was less sore and after day 3 it was gone.  I am beginning to think that I banged the area, it was from the tatoo's or that my bra was irritating the area.  I am not sure but I am thrilled that it is gone....and btw, is not welcome to come back. 

So my girls birthday is coming up at the end of the month.  Does anyone know if there is anything that you can do of keloids ??  I have an area on each breast in my clevage area that is a keloid and I would love to decrease the look of it. 

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Yep, what 2T said about the garmets. Right after lipo, you won't want to be wiggling your way into a non zippered one, but to me, DRAINS are the largest factor. As soon as the drains are gone, I'd recommend the un-zippered Marena. It is just so much more comfortable.

Jamie, WOW on the Advil and shrinking up an inflamed lymph node! I have had a terrible head cold and have needed to take Advil for headache. I felt bad about it, but now I am feeling a bit better! ha!

Nordy, keeping fingers crossed abou the insurance response. How goes the puppy hunt?? 

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited January 2011

Back at the Hope Lodge.  We have had quiet an adventure.  I forgot my computer.  I was devestated.  So that's why I haven't posted until now.  Everything went fine.  Just taking the recovery day by day.  Susie came through surgery like a trooper.  She has been a bit surprised at the discomfort associated with the recovery.  I guess no matter how you try you can't really discribe adequately how painful it will be to change certain positions.  She had her surgery Tuesday morning and I was Wednesday.  Then we both were kept in the hospital until yesterday.  That's four nights for Susie and 3 for me.  But everyone at the hospital went out of their way to make it as comfortable as possible.  

I am going to wait a little while to give details.  My pain meds have me a bit brain foggy and it is too difficult to get my thoughts down to my fingertips.  I'll try again later today.

-- Ann 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2011

Ladies I did not put out the numbers to offend anyone. I just wanted tree to know about this clause in the insurance plans that can save a fortune. Sorry for the TMI

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Sally, I think it helps to know; thanks for sharing that. 

Ann, well goodness, I wondered where you were! Glad you are both released and doing well. Stage 1 is moving body parts around! It's a big deal!! Sounds like Susie is doing okay though... Glad you are too! 

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2011

Thank you for all your kind words.  Took my three kids to see the "Harry Potter Exhibition" at the Pacific Science Center here in Seattle.  Then we all went out for dinner.  I think it really helped to get everyone out of the house after the loss of our dog.

I don't think I would mind the pressure garments so much if I could just get rid of the drains.  The drains are what drive me a bit crazy.  Still at about 38 cc / day, will keep until 20 cc for two consecutive days.

I think it might snow here in Seattle.  Thinking of spring and daffodils.....  

Stage 2 I have scheduled for March 23.

Have a nice week everyone.

Laurie from Washington

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2011

Keloids     My son had one that the dermatologist injected with ?cortisone? It worked. Took 2 treatments and we put numbing cream on prior to the injection. He didn't feel a thing.

I'm 3 weeks out stage 2 surgery and could not imagine going without compression garments. But I guess I can ditch the nipple guards. I'm a little nervous about that. How long did you ladies wear the nipple guards?

• Jaimieh
    edited January 2011

I wore the nipple guards for 4 weeks....lol....I was scared :)  Thanks for the info on the keloids.

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Carroll, I added your March surgery to the list. Let me know if you have other details to add. 

I cannot remember how long I wore the nipple guard. I think I was very careful though to make sure it was not compressed by bra or any clothes for a long while though. I remember I kept checking and adjusting my bra.  

• just4ann
    edited January 2011

Susie is doing great.  Of course, no amount of preparation is enough to truly know what you are going to experience.  It really wiped her out the first few days.  She could not keep her eyes open.  She would fall asleep eating, talking, texting, you name it.  But along about Thursday she started feeling a little better.  But every time she would eat she would start shaking uncontrollably and her blood pressure would drop.  I have never seen anything like it.  The nurses kept a really close watch on her.  I was so glad.  

My part of the surgery turned out of be more than I was prepared for.  Remember I was just going for nipples and to have my right breast lifted a bit so it would be the same as the left.  But when I did my pre op appointment I had a tennis ball size hard spot on the outer side of my right breast.  Also I had a place on my belly just to the left of my belly button where I had torn the plication and had a bulge.  So Dr S wanted to fix all of that while I was under and to do a little more lipo.  He said the original lipo from stage 2 looked good but it revealed a few other places that could use a little more contouring.  I asked him how he knew it wasn't just still swelling since it had only been 2 1/2 weeks since the first stage 2.  So he showed me the difference and he was right.  He said he could tell that my waist at one point was much smaller than the had taken into consideration during the first part.  Which was true.  I originally started out with a true hour glass figure but over the years the sand had shifted.  :c)

But I have to say I was very impressed that he truly was able to see for himself what had been there years ago.  I had given no hint or prompting.  I just assumed those days were long gone.  But he pointed out exactly where the extra lipo would be of benefit.  I told him I didn't think I could do it because I was here as Susie's caregiver and we weren't prepared to both be out of commission.  He said to not worry about that.  He would make sure we were both well cared for and he would not release us until I was able to help her or until we could get a backup care giver.  And true to his word we were treated like queens.  We were in rooms right across from the nurse's station.  They were right there to help us in and out of bed, in and out of the chairs, anything we needed.  I spent most of the time in the room with Susie.  They offered to move my hospital bed into her room but I decided it was better for us to be able to sleep in separate rooms.  We both require very little sleep (3-4 hours a night) so we wanted to make sure we were able to sleep when we needed without disturbing the other.  

Dr S came by to check on us Wednesday and Thursday.  Thursday he offered to let us move down to a suite so we would have more room to hang out together, which I thought was very generous.  They all were just wonderful.  Susie was shocked.  She said she had never been treated like a celebrity.   

I had my daughter fly in on Friday so she could take care of us both and get us home safely.  With a 10 pound weight restriction, we would not even be able to pack our bags much less manage at the airport.  So she came in on Friday and Dr S released us on Saturday.  We go for our follow up visit tomorrow.  

Susie ended up with  4 drains that she will more than likely have to take home.  I had two drains, one in the hip and one in the breast.  The breast drain was removed before I left the hospital and the hip drain will probably go tomorrow after I see the doctor.  

Susie was able to keep her own nipples -- good for her!!  She was so worried Dr S would give her too  big boobs when her frame is definitely not designed for that.  He told her he would make sure they weighed what they removed from the original breast and put the same amount back.  I think he must have done just that because other than a little bruising they look just like the ones she came with.  She is so happy.     The surgeon who did her mastectomy (I can't not remember her name for the life of me) said her breasts were so full of little tumors that there were too many to count.  She said Susie had definitely made a very wise decision.  That was so good to hear.  

We fly back home Tuesday night.  My husband says we are suppose to have about 6-8 inches of snow by then.  Not looking forward to that.  I hope it doesn't compromise our flight.  

-- Ann 

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

Just4Ann: Wow!  It definitely sounds like you and your sister, Susie got the extra deluxe celebrity treatment!  Good for you both!  What incredible docs!  Glad that you both stayed until Saturday and weren't released before your daughter arrived to act as caretaker.  You certainly DID get a few unexpected things done -- I bet you'll be so happy for the extra contouring  and Susie sounds impressed and delighted that Dr S respected her wishes and she got the same size boobs she came with!  How cool is that??  I bet she is feeling a whole lot better that she had this procedure once she learned about all the little tumors in her breasts.  

Here's to a safe and comfortable flight.   

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2011

I feel like I have been away from here for months! It took me soooo long to catch up!

Ann - I started worrying when you hadn't posted in a while and then was so relieved that you and your sister came thru everything okay. Thank you so much for filling us in so thoroughly. Dr. S. is so amazing - that is really something that he visited you and your sister like that and also moved you guys to the suite! You got top notch treatment - wow!

Amy - So glad you love your boobs so much - LOL!

Sallym - Our time was so short in NY and Gary's parents were with us, so it would have been hard to meet up. We'll have to do it in New Orleans again! Dane is home until mid-Feb, and then we're flying out with him to help him get set up. He doesn't have a car and u have to be 25 to rent one, plus I want to spend as much time with him as I can... I'm worried about the symptoms you're having - please keep us updated.

Xfit - Hairy boob issues - Gee, girl, that is soooo yesterday!  Do you know about the Ask the Doc website? I know it came up on there several times, too. So laser does work and it won't hurt at all because you will probably still be numb. You need to go a few times, to catch the hair follicles at their different stages. Meanwhile, you could pluck the things (once you're all healed, of course) and that won't hurt either. Okay, so I had some myself, No where near dreadlock material, however, Rasta Tit - LOL!

Hi Tree Rock! Love your name!

2tzus - Wow about your taking on that guy at the zoo!!!!!

Debbie - I love Place d'Armes! We got to see a couple of early Mardi Gras parades, too! You're gonna love it - that's when I got my most beads by far!

Carroll - That was just terrible about your daughter's dog. I can't imagine. I don't want to. So sad.

Nordy - I echo what everyone else said about you as a mom. All of us have done things that aren't the greatest. Things that haunt us and that we will always wince about. Unfortunately we learn as we go, and just about the time we start to know something, the kids are all grown up. We're human and do the best we can. You have had the additional stress of dealing with cancer and everything that went with it over these years. I'd say you deserve a medal for being the great mom you are. And you heard it from your own daughter's lips, so it has to be true. And on top of being so caring and concerned about them directly, you've also taught them how to be strong and brave and to fight and to never give up. And geez - all this and they're just little kids, still! You will have years and years to continue to be the best mom they could ever have.

Sandy - It's almost time again! Have as much fun as you can between procedures and bridal shows and Brian's surgery and everything else! Have a Hurricane for me - but try to limit yourself to just one, missy!

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Ann, what a great update! Glad to hear the confirmation of all those little tumors, OMG!! Susie is so smart/lucky to do the PBM!! Sounds like you will be looking good too!!! Amazing. And did you actually move to the suite? Several of us were able to VISIT a suite when Liz and her rasta boob where there. LOL!!

Minn, good to hear from you!!!  

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

As the time looms closer, I'm giving more thought (and CONCERN) to contouring and lipo.  I don't need anyone to tell me how great the docs are with reconstructing boobs but for those of you who are beyond your Stage 2, what are your thoughts?  Did the lipo make a difference in your looks?  Was there a weight loss?  Is the pain of recovery (length, intensity) closely linked to how much fat was removed?  How long after Stage 2 before you REALLY could see the difference?  Also, I'm hoping the tightness I have from my abdominal incision never changes -- it feels like a constant reminder not to overeat!!  Will it change??  

OMG, I'm full of questions!  Hoping some of you can fill me in. 

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2011

dbdaze,  My recovery from stage 2 has been much easier than stage 1.  I am 3 weeks out and still have soreness when I have been stationary for a while and then move.  My abdomen is really tight and I have to eat less now than after stage 1.  Overall I feel really great!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2011

Eve. Thank you. What a beautiful post to me. (((hugs)))!

Ann - Your sister must be SO happy that she made the choice she did! Whew!

Laurie - I had my stage 2 last year at the end of March... Great time to have it! 

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Daze, the lipo was all worth it if you ask me. They are just as good with the rest of your body as your boobs! For me, the difference in my overall body is tremendously different than before. I feel now like I have a teenager body - like I was never pregnant? how can that be? Somehow being smaller with less fat has encouraged me to exercise more and be in better shape, so it all has a rolling effect! For all my lipo, I could see the difference right away, though as Sandy says, you deflate over time even more. I also was very swollen after Stage 2 lipo, but it wore off. Hope this helps. Also, my tummy tightness did not change. 

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

Minnesota:  You said you saw a few of the early Mardi Gras parades -- that's where you got most of your beads.  My daughter just told me that you get your beads by flashing folks -- is she putting me on or is that true?  We had quite the hysterical time acting out how I could flash my new boobs, yelling "Cancer Survivor".  LOL  God, this could be more fun that I ever thought!!! LOL

• dbdaze
    edited January 2011

Ohhhh, Springtime, that is SOOO what I wanted to hear!!!  I know what you mean, too.  With the tightened belly after Stage 1, it gave me the push to begin a daily exercise program.  I don't expect Dr. S to "do it all" but a bit of a "jump start" would be terrific! Thanks Springtime!!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2011

dbdaze - just had mine in Nov and still seeing changes, but the biggest difference is I am now seeing a waist!  Lost that during stage 1, and feel great that it is coming back.  I definitely think it has been worth it to me.....

• just4ann
    edited January 2011

I agree with the other girls.  For me at 4 weeks out from Stage 2 and 1 week out from Stage 2B I can see an amazing difference.  I am told that the real difference comes at about 3-4 months after.  That is exciting.  But every week brings noticeable improvement.  I am definitely pleased with my results.  But I think I am done.  I know today at our follow up appointment, Dr S was showing me other things he said he could do if I want when I come back with Susie for her Stage 2.  But I am satisfied with what I have done.  I just want tattoos and I will be complete.  

At the follow up today I was able to have all drains removed.  I am now drain free!  What a wonderful feeling.  And I have two of the prettiest nipples I believe I have ever seen!  How does he do that?? They look like real nipples.  I am so glad I had him remove my flaps during the Stage 2. Not to be critical of those who kept their flaps.  We are all different. But I was very dissatisfied with the look of the flaps and I hated the hair that covered them  But now, I am very pleased with the results. Just give me a couple of tatts and I will be good to go.  

As far as actual weight loss associated with the lipo, I haven't experienced that yet.  Of course you know, there isn't a lot of weight associated with lipo itself.  I think the average is only about 6-8 pounds.  Often times there is weight gain for several months following lipo because of the swelling.  But Dr S said to not even weigh for at least 3 months and even then to realize that it will take as much as 12 months for all of the swelling to subside.  

Susie got to pull 3 of her drains today.  The fourth, a hip drain, is still really putting out.  But 1 is much better than 4 so she isn't complaining.  She wanted me to ask if anyone knows what, if anything, they do to improve the look of the butt.  She has the butt of a 13 year old boy, absolutely no roundness or fullness.  I told her I would ask.  

We are scheduled to fly out tomorrow night.  I hope we don't get cancelled. We fly into Atlanta which I understand has been hit pretty hard with snow and ice.  Then from there we fly into Nashville.  My husband said we got about 8 inches of snow at home overnight and today.  So wish us luck on the travel plans.  I just hope if there are going to be delays or cancellations it happens before we leave here.  I sure don't want to be stuck in an airport with no where to sleep.  That would be pretty miserable.  

-- Ann