Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2011

Ann - use a mild soap and water and leave the Hibiclens for presurgery. You are fine with that and sometimes the stronger stuff can impede healing! And don't worry about the blood/scabbing on them - it will fall off on its own when it is ready. Patience, patience!!! 

Sandy - congrats to you and Brian!

Trishia - what answer on Tuesday on FB? What did I miss??? I also think the pin thing is new... and yes, I did get one. I think you should just call Katie and tell her you need one!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2011

Thinking of you Kathy, day after tomorrow! PJ - Loved your post!  Ladies in NOLA or going there - be sure to make a sign to tape outside your hospital room door with your screen name on it. Then, even if you didn't connect beforehand, you'll still be able to find each other. Also, if someone has a pre-op or post-op appt and some extra time, they can pop up there and see if there's anyone to visit!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2011

Hooray that we can use iPads and iPhones here now!  It was so annoying to read and not be able to participate. 

db, yes, I like the color and when it fades, I think I will be really happy with these tattoos.  I'm using Neosporin ointment now because there was some weeping from one nipple this morning.  I have healed up so well from all of my NOLA surgeries that the last thing I want is an infection from the tattooing!    NOLA did warm up by the end of our trip, and hopefully it will be nicer for you in February.  We are lucky to have incredibly nice weather in L.A. right now--around 80 degrees every day this week and not a cloud in the sky. 

So, I had a workout with my trainer this morning and we established a goal for me to lose a pound a week. I need to lose the visceral fat so that my inside BMI will be as low as my outside BMI is (thanks to all of Dr. D's work with the lipo cannula).  It's been incredibly difficult for me to lose since my hysterectomy, but we have a plan now. 

• mamaluch
    mamaluch Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2011

Hi Nordy- thinking of you and hoping your good news will be delivered any day now!

I didn't get my pin either but still may be going back for a revision(still haven't talked to them about it though) I need to get through rehab for my knee now. I think if I go back, I will wait until fall-toooooo hot in summer. Also need to get my son off to college this summer so I'm sure I will be falling apart then so best to wait until he is settled in! 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2011

It's okay.  I don't need a pin to symbolize my transformation....I see it every single day!!

Sandy, I have had a heck of time since my hysterectomy too.  And I kept one ovary!!! 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2011

Hi again ladies...No bfly here for me but HEY!  I won the KING cake this week-surprise!  Lotsa weeks left!  AND asked Liz to send me a stack of cards to take to the Fort Worth Stock show/Rodeo goes Pink next week......Sandy....I need to order a busted in Nola T as well...sheesh...better get on this!  I Do live in mid cities but grew up and still consider home Ft Worth...but I work in Dallas.....anyhoo......OMG...SO happy w/ the party and I am waaay too ready for house guests w/ new memory foam toppers/sleeper sofa....and YES all the pics hung...My own family called me Martha Stewart....come on yall......BUT I am waaaaay into a halloween reunion in Nola...maybe we could all collect(those of us who have not yet collected) the butterflies AND just have fun....I will 'carry on'....and still need to mail Alaina some stuff...YIKES!......How is it...the past 3-4 mos have flown!  xoxo, love you all...ps...MARCIA, MARCIA, marcia...you WILL come in Oct yes?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2011

Oh boy! We're already talking about October 2011!! PJ, I have to admit I was thinking about it the other day too! I am NOT having any procedures done either!!! Total Joy and Fun!

Congratulations to PJ on winning NOLA's King Cake this week! Let us know what it's like! I should't even enter those contests! DH and I are neither of us eating sugar! ha! It looks delicious though. Maybe I would have a bite! ha!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW KATHRYNLA!!!! She is having her stage 1!!!  

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2011

ok ladies I am hoping someone out there can help reassure me.  I had my reconstruction done right at a year ago (jan/09) at Nola.  I have noticed that in the right breast I have a knot located very close to where my tumor was so needless to say I am a bit freaked out.  Just noticed it this evening.  Can this just be where I strained it tugging on something to heavy a month or so ago and just haven't noticed it until now. I did get a bit of a knot under my arm at that time and figured I over did it as I was feeling fine.  I went to my primary doc today and have fluid around my left lung, have to have it drawn out and do a cat scan Friday.  The doctor today mentioned the fluid could be from the chemo drugs (seems a bit far out from the chemo for that) or perhaps cancer.  Having to wait to get the cat scan done and kinow what is going on is making me crazy.  This has really scared me so it seems I am just really noticing everything and very scared the cancer is back.  Is it possible for the cancer to come back in the same area after GAP reconstruction?  Any feedback would be really great. 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited January 2011

Dear Brenda, so sorry to hear that you are so frightened!  So many of us have had scares that have turned out to be nothing, but it's great that you have already consulted with your doctor and will have testing done so quickly.   I think I would just try to stay very busy to avoid worrying while you wait for Friday and hopefully good news that you are fine.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited January 2011

Spring, I agree.  I wouldn't eat the cake.  Flour, sugar and fat! 

PJ, you'd better get that order in right away! Here's a link for you:  I got busted in NOLA

We've discussed having this year's NOLA reunion in early October, to avoid the crowds and costs of the Halloween week.  I'm sure we'll be doing a fundraiser for Breastoration this time.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2011

I was just talking about NOLA in October yesterday too!  Funny!  I am coming this year no matter what!  I alreay started saving for it!  YAY!!!!  Hubby and I didn't get a vacation last year and we need one badly!

Brenda, that is scary.  I had a scare and it ended up being a cyst.  Breathe.  Thinking benign thoughts for you!

I would eat the cake!  Well, not the whole thing.  But damn skippy a piece!  Moderation is the key!!  And then extra booty shaking at the gym.  :)

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

Brenda - like everyone else said, take a deep breath. The area in your breast could be anything. Having said that - I am glad that your doctor is on top of the lung issue. Friday is only one more day away now... although I am sure it will be a long weekend if they don't give you your results right away. Please keep us informed - positive thoughts and prayers headed your way.

OMG... NOLA in October... I am going to want to run... and that is Halloween weekend... but Halloween for us is usually up at the in-law's house where their neighborhood is crazy for Halloween - so yes, earlier in the month would be good and I will just have to find another half marathon this year! 

Well... drum roll... the insurance... oh, yeah, no surprise, Denied, denied, denied. Thank you for all the positive thoughts, but I knew it would come to this. They said, "The 'slight asymmetry' noted by Dr. Sullivan would not warrant yet another surgical revision. Therefore, the denial was upheld." So there you have it. I really am thinking that I will be okay with this, although they p*ss me off like crazy. I may just wait until next year again and see how things are going on the lymph node transfer - then try for that. I've got 10 lbs. that I want to drop and if my breast shrinks more, I will get a second opinion. OR I will save, save, save all my $$ for the fall and then just pay out of pocket.... (sucking in wind) yikes. OR I will save my $$ for other stuff... like facials and tummy tucks... LOLOLOLOL... Its really okay. I am feeling okay with myself for the moment and will just see how life unfolds. As much of a control freak that I am, I just have to understand that not everything is in my hands... as much as I want it to be! In the meantime, the insurance company can kiss my *ss....  Surprised

BTW - I would totally, totally eat the cake! Oh yes, I would (okay, like Trishia said, not the whole thing!) Congrats Jennifer!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2011

By popular demand here is the link to a company that manufactures some phenomenal compression garments...

http://www.store.lymphedemasleeveco.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=166

Thanks for reminding me about this,Nordy!

• Soccermom4force
    edited January 2011

Brenda,

I am so sorry that you have a reason to be frightened and hope it will all be for nothing! Yes, it IS possible to have a BC recurrence,new primary, after mastectomy and reconstruction. That said what you are feeling might just be an area of fat necrosis or a cyst. The CT scan you are going t o have should be helpful in determining what it is or isn't.

Perhaps a call or email to the Center would be in order?

Please let us know how you are doing!

Marcia

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Early October for NOLA, Nordy! Halloween at home is safe! Sandy, let us know when you pick the dates because we will start buying tix! I want to meet Trisha and others I haven't yet met for SURE! NO PROCEDURES EITHER! Yay!!

Dear Brenda, I would be very scared too. I like the advice to BREATHE. I noticed that you mentioned going to your Primary doc. Not your Oncologist? I had a lump appear in my prophylactic side that pretty much freaked me out. It turned out to be fat necrosis. It happened after my stage 2, which they told me was odd and unusual to get fat necrosis that far out. Yet it did. Other ladies here have had cysts that were oil filled. We are thinking the best for you.  

Nordy, CRIPES! Pisses me off! I know you were expecting this, you sound like you're doing okay. You're not going to contact the DOL? You hang in there girl. I can tell you I waited almost a year before doing a 2B surgery because I was not sure how important it was to me. So waiting a bit to measure how much it bothers or doesn't, may be a good plan.  

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2011

Thanks for all the support!! I am really trying to take everyone's advice and just breathe and think positive things.  Working on getting the mind set that whatever it turns out to be I will take it on and come out on top.  Hearing that it could be nothing much does help.  Oh well, here's to keeping my mind busy until Tuesday.  Went to my primary doc cause I just thought I had a touch of bronchitis, didn't notice the knot in the right side till that evening.  Have to say I am definitely not looking forward to getting a needle stuck between my ribs tomorrow, but I am tough and can handle whatever.  (working on the mindset again!!)

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

Kathryn-----Sending a shout out to you and hoping all went just fabulous today! Post when you feel up to it! (((((hugs)))))!

Lciscarroll - Haven't heard from you in a while, so hoping all is well. You should almost be getting the clearance for running again!!! Look how fast that went by!

Spring - thank you. I kind of think I don't have a leg to stand on... and as far as the Labor Dept goes... I don't know if I could even win the fight. And I don't know if it is worth it as my husband needs a job - remember where he works is self-insured. Argh. I really almost think it may be for the best as my arm and now my trunk have been swelling up the past couple days. Who knows what triggers it. I see my LE therapist next week and am going to talk to her about VLNT and then talk to the Center about it as well. It is highly doubtful that my insurance company will want to cover the surgery... but I wonder how much they want to keep spending for treatments that are not working??? I may go through another round of treatment, see if it helps at all and then go from there. I don't even know if I would be a good candidate. So... lots of options, but I have all the time in the world to figure it out!

• Springtime
    edited January 2011

Nordy, my insurance ins in network for NOLA. I should adopt you! :)  You are a strong woman and very resilient! you hang in there. Let us know what you decide to do about the VLNT... I think Ann talked to Dr. S about it. She reported he said they wouldn't consider it for her because it was controllable. I guess they may only do it when it is so bad it cannot be controlled through other means? I am sure you know more about this than me.

Kathryn, we are all thinking of you! Hope you are doing okay! REMEMBER THIS - you will get better!! This is a wink in time.

Brenda, thinking of you. Breathe in and out.  :)  You also sound very resilient!!  Let us know how the needle stick goes!!! (ouchie!!)

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

Yes, Spring! You should adopt me! I wish we had insurance that was in network!!! Maybe once my husband gets his new business off the ground, we should buy some supplemental insurance... I know so many people that hate the insurance offered through my husband's work. Many of them get their insurance through their spouse's work instead!

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited January 2011

Hi Ladies. I will be consulting with a PS here in Memphis TN. on Tue the 25th. I believe he is the only one here in Memphis that does the DIEP. I have googled his name and he seems to be pretty competent. I have Aetna Ins. and he will be in network. If after drilling him and he does not seem to be experienced enough then I will have to go to plan B.His nurse is oh yes on all of my questions.(but she is his nurse). I was born in NOLA, and have not been back since Katrina. I still have relatives in the area.I am so glad this forum was started. I am 58 years old and after my mx,I said I am too old for another surgery at the time. I have since changed my mind and decided that I do not want to be lying on a cold slab when the time comes and have the undertaker plucking at my one breast.(lol) I am tired of the lopsidedness and the stuffing of my bras, and not being able to wear anything low cut. I am not dead.I want to be sexy and sensual.te!he!he!

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited January 2011

Nordy, sorry about the insurance.  At least it sounds like you have a good attitude about it.  

I got another questions for all of you "graduates".  Did you have problems with scar tissue developing?  I have several places where there was lipo that are developing kind of hard areas.  Is it scar tissue?  I am still tender to the touch, depending on the touch.  I have been having my hubby massage the areas for me but I don't know if that is the right thing to do.  It is mostly on my upper back and on the outer parts of both breasts sort of under the arms.  Dr S had made both breasts way too big.  They stuck off the side of my body and my arms were constantly rubbing them.  So he removed that part but I am afraid I am going to have hard areas.  I realize I am only 2 1/2 weeks out so I may just be rushing things but just wanted your opinions.  

By the way, thanks for the input regarding the dried blood.  I am sure I babysit my new nipples way more than necessary but I would rather be safe than sorry.   

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2011

Early/mid Oct sounds great!  lots of us have oct bdays too! 

OK re the king cake:  still don't have yet and I must confess...if it comes today i'll have a bite if not I will take to work.  Don't think I shared this, or maybe I did? if so SORRY !scroll down. When I visited the onc in Dec....Dec 20th to be exact.....I had labs drawn.  My triglycerides came back 'high'.  I jokingly told my onc "hope my LFT's are OK, because my liver has been working this wkend".....They weren't back yet but the other labs were ok(how much do I LOVE the quick turnarond of a big university med center?)....Anyhoo....she didn't release the labs for me to see on'my chart'-our online thingie to manage appts, lab results, etc, etc.......I worried, sent a message and the nurse called me back w/ this 'your triglycerides are high but you can discuss w/ Dr Wilson"  WTH?  Wilson is my GYN and she DID release all like a week later...whatever...I worried, researched then went thru this whole self loathing-'I can't believe I did this to myself after the gift of all the other stuff(early detection, breast trade up plus improvement)'  I'm horrible!......Turns out the triglycerides were 190 ish......BUT UTSW lists their high as 150...and my previous triglycerides were 50 and 60...but HEY! who just went to Italy?, had great(rich) food and wine at least 2 meals every day...not to mention the wkend before labs and the 2 previous wkends I had  parties one the day b/4 which I hosted. Cocktails-YES! prime rib, wine,cheeses,more wine, coffee plus baileys and or kahlua...Not to mention holidays.....apparently there is a medical term;  Holiday heart......very common for people due to overindulging to have crummy labs....Nonetheless, nobody forcefed me.  I'm frustrated w/ my own bad decisions.  Then at my opthalm appt a couple weeks later I had a cotton wool spot on one eye....these are typically caused by high blood sugar or hypertension....My BP is fine....My mother and ALL her siblings were diabetic type 2.  I go for follow up recheck labs=lfts, fasting blood sugar Feb 17th and f/u w/ opthalm and am hoping, praying I can clean it up and live like Spring and Richard w/ an occasional dose of moderation....sooo sugar, alcohol, white flour bye bye for now.....I know I feel better w/o them just it is SUCH a part of my family, friends, work culture-food drink and a LOT of it! celebrate.....Have to learn to do so w/ moderation, whole grains which I love, vegetables and a few low sugar fruits......on to cleansing...and YES, I've read it(The China study, Anti cancer A New Way of life, as well as many other books) I know it, but doing it is another thing esp after this family gathering, etc.....

Almost feel guilty BUT That cake will be enjoyed- if not by me then by others I know and love and HEY It's not the prize it's the participation and journey required(or something like that?)and it IS cool to win!

OK, that's it for now......Pre op post ops- thinking of you sorry to be so all about me!  Ann I had/have scar tissue on my L outer that bugs me from time to time....my hips/love handle area and lower back were sore and sometimes felt hard a LONG time after stage 2(last Dec 09)...i think all is gone now but it lasted almost a year i'd say... intermittently....Gotta say I think dr. d was right on when he said "give it a year".

Sorry to drone on-cheers!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2011

mscal02: boy, can I relate to your post!  Initially, I had no interest in reconstruction but after months of trying to "cover up" the fact I had only one boob, I had had enough!!  Funny how some women KNOW immediately what they want, and some THINK they know only to be surprised by a wake-up call somewhere along the way.  I'm 59 and can't wait to get back on the Caribbean beaches of Costa Rica this summer after my Stage 2 next month.  Last time there, I wore a tank under everyone my summer dresses and looked ridiculous -- this time, I'm going back boob-alicious!!  LOL

The Quest: Discovering the Dream Inside of Me 

• fourboymom
    fourboymom Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2011

dbdaze It is funny how you figure out when you are ready to go through with recon. It took me 2 years but thank God because I stumbled upon this thread and now I am fabulous.

mscal02 good luck with your search.  

I will be 6 weeks out from stage 2 (with a full tummy tuck.....thank you very much Dr. S) in 5 more days. I just want so badly to go back to lifting weights. I was warned by the nurses to start back SLOWLY. So in 5 days I will go to my healthclub and do baby weights. I'm more nervous about how my core will behave. I won't do direct core work and I will wear uber core support.

Brenda you continue to be in my prayers for peace as you wait for those test results that let you know everything is all good.

Ann  I was lumpy after lipo also but it continues to get better. I also still wear the nipple guards during the day with my bra because it bugs me so much (psychologically) when my nipples get squished.

Also prayers for continued healing for recent surgeries (thinking about you Kathryn) and prayers for peace to upcoming surgeries. You are in great hands.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited January 2011

fourboymom, I had my tummy tuck re-done in October and took six weeks off from working out.  I lost a lot of abdominal strength but no problems returning to lifting weights or other exercises.

My steri strip from the little revision fell off today and Dr. D does such fine work!  However, I am sad because the tattooing seems to have wiped out the nipple palpability I had from Perlane injections in October.  I asked Jeanine how much was used, and it was 2 cc for each side, which will run about $800 if I have it done locally.  Maybe I'll wait until next October and see if insurance will cover the injections if they are done in NOLA.

Hope we hear from Kathryn soon!

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited January 2011

I can't wait to get the ball rolling. I went to Aruba last summer and could not get in the pool. Wore a tee shirt and skirt the whole time. I got one of those warm stone massages while there and  felt so ashamed and when the massuse passed my clothes to me, there was the bra Ugg!!

• Soccermom4force
    edited January 2011

Msca102,

Just wanted to let you know that I used AMTRAK between Jackson ,MS and New Orleans when I traveled to the NOLA Docs for surgery. It was absolutely wonderful as the seats recline& have a extension to put legs up...and if you travel "handicapped" a "steward" will bring be available to bring you food & beverages... and you will be on a lower level near the restrooms...just wanted you to know this as an option. AMTRAK from NOLA stops in Memphis,

Best wishes,Marcia

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2011

Brenda - If the lump is in an area that is totally within th GAP recon, it can't be cancer, since it's gluteal tissue. If it's on an edge, however, it is possible. Hopefully it's nothing.

Nordy - how dare your insurance company tell you the asymmetry isn't significant! That really pisses me off! Why should they be deciding that?! Geez!

Kathy - waiting to hear from you!

Good luck Tracee and liz up this week! Seems like you were just in NOLA, Liz, starring on CNN!

Mscal and dbdaze - I'm with you! I want to be sexy, no matter what my age!

PJ - I would eat that King Cake and enjoy every bite! It looks great! I'm sure it could be frozen, to be doled our thruout the year, too.

Sandy - when I get my tattoo, I am not going to let them do the nipple, just the areola! Gee, these babies are so delicate!

Reunion! I hope we can pick a time close enough to Halloween so some can stay on longer and not miss the festivities!

• Nordy
    edited January 2011

I know Eve! But what am I going to do? Like I said, my husband needs a job... It would be so much easier if they weren't self-insured, then I could go to town on the pre-auth people... but I don't know what I can do. I may try to talk to the Dept of Labor again, just to get their take on things... but I don't know. It seems to be a consensus that there slight asymmetry is not worth fixing surgically. I don't get how anyone else gets to decide that, but apparently as a patient, I don't have a say, unless I pay out of pocket. Anyway....

Kathryn - hope you are doing well... thinking of you! And Laura - You too - you are almost at the six week mark! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2011

Nordy, a picture speaks a thousand words, perhaps? Is there that much asymmetry that a photo would change their minds? (Or, more likely, there will be someone on the appeals board who will think that you are more symmetrical than she is now, and why should you be the one to get a better shape. God forbid.There's no way anyone can be objective when they are dealing with money and someone else's insurance needs.)

Hang in there.