Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2009

Nordy,  What a beautiful, little girl.......must take after her mommy! 

Bye, bye drains.       Linda

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2009

will we have any drains w/ stage 2?  anybody?  trishia?

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2009

PLEASE, NO drains after stage two... please, please,  please... LOL... I will probably still  have mine by then... LOL    Oh, I sure hope NOT!!!!

I think Stacy told me that I would not have drains if I did not do a tummy tuck... other than that, I do not know. 

Okay, so if I do indeed get my bso/hyst the first week of Dec., that leaves me w/stage 2 after the new year. I think that maybe around then end of Feb or beginning of March would be good. I think some healing time from this next surgery would not be bad... plus it will be ski season! woooohoooooo!!!!! Does anyone think they will be there then? I think my sister might actually go with me (which is a huge surprise because we used to be super close, then had a big falling out a few years ago... so it has taken some time to regain that trust... or should I say for me to regain her trust. I forgave her a long time ago, but she tends to hold on to a lot...). Which by the way, Jennifer, I forgot to tell you that I am very happy that you have been in contact w/your sister and she has been so great for you! Anyway, if anyone else will be down there then, that would be fun. Maybe some of you will be down for stage 3?! I tried to talk my hubby into going down and taking a course that is there in April and bringing the kids... Yeah, that didn't go over very well... LOL. 

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Oh, yes, Linda - thank you!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited October 2009

It just depends on what you have done at stage 2.  I had breast drains from Dr. S excising the excess fat under my arms.  They were removed at my post op so I didn't have to fly home with them!  YIPPPEEE!!!   I have 2 other NOLA sisters who both had ab drains because they had scar revision.  Even if you do have drains, they will be in WAY less time than stage 1.  Well, unless maybe you are a juicy as Nordy!  heheheh...bad joke!

HellofromCT, I'm glad you are being proactive.  Family history and atypical cells are just an indicative of increased risk as genetic test.  Nordy, I still may be calling you about your gyn doc after my appointment next month.

Most docs haven't heard of Li Fraumeni.  It's extremely rare.  Only like 400 families have it.  It a defect in your p53 tumor blocker gene...which is different than the p53 test they sometimes run on tumors.  The p53 gene is like your body's border guards that go to work when cancer starts to grow.  In mine, half of them are missing.  So people with Li Fraumeni are prone to several types of cancer:  sarcomas, breast, brain, lung, ardrenal, but pretty much the whole body.  In fact, back when my son was undergoing chemo and I was studying the link between rhabdomyosarcoma and breast cancer, it was called SBLA.  Funny that I found the the dx back then but I didn't get the actual genetic test results until 13 yrs later. 

MargitN, I hadn't worn a bra for 17 years prior to my DIEP.  I cried tears of joy when I bought and could actually wear a real bra.  I still grin everytime I put one on.  I'm FINALLY using my Victoria's Secret gift card I got at my Boobie Party in February this weekend!  Now that I am all healed from Stage 2 it's time to get a super sexy bra!  I can't wait! 

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

Trishia - do call me about my onc/gyn if you need him. He was WONDERFUL - even if he was realllllllyyyyyy busy the day I saw him. He still sat down and took the time to answer ALL of my questions (and I had a page worth). You can stay here and have a consult if you need to. My regular ob/gyn will be assisting him w/my surgery. You can look him up at the NW Cancer associates website - his name is Scott Rushing. I have only heard very good things about him, and he is nice to boot, so that is helpful. I will let you know after the beginning of Dec on how good of a surgeon he is. Okay, so that day in Nov. - the 19th, they scheduled my CT scan at 1:00, but I have to have blood draws at 11 something prior to it and have to drink contrast as well as be injected w/contrast. Luckily, when they draw my blood they are going to leave an IV in so that I don't have to have another stick. Hurray. SO, are you going to leave Seattle that night, or on the 20th? I want to find a way to meet up w/you, but given that we both have appts that day, I am not sure how! Let me know! 

Yes, I have some Victoria's Secret bras from when I had my tissue expanders in... but I think the cup is a little small... Laughing I will have to go get measured and actually see what I should be wearing!!! It is weird. Did anyone notice that they have to loosen their straps more? I think my boobs might be a little lower than they had been... but then again, I did have tissue expanders that sit up high... 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2009

Nordy,   Still with you with the drains!  Not taking these out till I am SURE I won't have to have any more put back in.  Because of having chemo, My stage 2 will be delayed until some time in early 2010, so hopefully, we can be there at the same time!  I'll keep u up to date on what is happening.  Right now, except for the drains, feeling soooo much better than before I went back to NOLA for the additional surgery to put drains back in.  So happy for everyone here, and glad we found NOLA and each other!!

Ginnie

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2009

Ginnie - SO GLAD you are feeling better, isnt it WONDERFUL.

I may be there for stage 3 in the spring, I have not scheduled yet, but the March time frame seems about right.  Maybe we can all get together.  Have a great day ladies.

JenniferJane - thanks for calling me last evening.  You are too sweet.  AND the pasta is to DIE FOR!!!!  xxoo Mel

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2009

Thanks for your # Sandy!  It may be hard to meet you- As We get in around when you will be leaving : (  

Nordy- That picture of your DD is Adorable.  She looks Sweet- But Could be up to something too!   I have the Sonny & Cher Song in my Head now!

This is my Last Friday with Crappy Boobs!

Pam

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Pam, woo hoo!  Last fri w/ the symmastia(sp)  thanks for letting us celebrate w/ you!

Ok, this I'm sure is TMI but I am very happy(i think) because i started my period and this means my ovary recheck will hopefully be a bit more accurate as the cystic nature changes w/ your cycle.  On the other hand it was an almost normal interval this time which the neurotic side of me questions if the tamox is doing it's magic or if I inhibited it taking benadryl a couple times and trazedone a few times to sleep....those jack w/ the Cyp2d6 which metabolizes Tamoxifen into the active metabolite (endoxofen) and renders it less effective.....Ok sorry.  I have no ducts and lobules BUT if part of that 5mm tumor broke off and went elsewhere is the whole premise...sorry yall know a lot of this...but yes, this IS all about me THANK you for letting me vent!

Nordy I am glad too i reconnected w/ my sister.  Things got a bit weird when we were talking about DCIS....anybody know does it have hormone receptors...she wouldn't be a candidtae for hormone(antihormone) therapy anyways as she had a DVT pre getting BC but 6 mos after starting hormone replacement therapy...but I did not have factor 5 leiden, she was never tested.....

Ok, I gotta run thru the shower and bolt to LE therapy!

have an awesome friday ladies, later, melanie...you ARE Martha...I'm just a wannabe....homemade pasta AND working and being mom to a teenager!  Yikes....I am a mere shadow! lol!

xoxo,

jennifer

• Dejaboo
    edited October 2009

Jennifer- You have so much Energy!  So many of you ladies do!

Thanks for letting me be hear & Celebrating with me.

Yum- Home made Pasta...I missed that post.

I have a Recipe from dhs Grandma...It says mix/nead until its a good noodle dough : )

Whats a Good Noodle dough?  LOL

Good Luck with your Scan on Wed! 
    And you too Nordy.

Pam

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2009

A GOOD NOODLE DOUGH..........LOVE THAT!  I suppose you know it when you see it!  HA! 

ITs all you DEJABOO  and its coming fast!  GOOD LUCK!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited October 2009

Has anyone had lower lumbar Gap ???  I finally got a phone call yesterday about what I would be a candidate for either LL-Gap or SGap.  I am leaning more toward the SGap if I get a choice.  Now I just need to work my insurance to get the out of pocket down lower. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2009

Well, Minnesota and I are here!  We took the street car to have breakfast at Camellia Grill, then stopped by the Center and distracted Katie for a few minutes. 

Pam, sorry that we may miss you but they're working on possibly working me into the schedule for a quick little revision before we leave, so that might delay our departure a day.   I need to see The Master first, to make sure he is willing to do it.  They are apparently solidly booked for surgeries through the end of the year. 

We are off to go explore the French Quarter streets we haven't paid attention to on previous visits.  Just bumming around to see what trouble we can get ourselves into, and then House of Shock tonight!

Sandy

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

jamieh - I had the lower lumbar flap. I love where it is. Did Liz send you some pictures of patients that had it done? If not, I will forward the ones she sent me. It actually took away my love handles AND somewhat tightened my tummy (not a ton, but a definite difference). I think AnneW had the SGAP. You can ask her about her incisions. It may just be a matter of preference for you, or it may depend on where your best vessels are for the docs. Personally, I love where they took from. I tried on my bikini and the incision lines do not show. I do need some revision for the little bunny tail thing that occurs just above my... excuse the expression: crack. LOL But they take care of all of that at stage 2.

Pam  - thank you. Picassa is easy... just takes some playing around and time. 

Sandy - have a great time w/Minnesota. 

Mel - my ex m-i-l always made her own noodles. I should have paid more attention!!! They were good - she is Sicilian. Homemade noodles and gravy (what she called sauce) are about the only things I miss... teehee... 

• Jaimieh
    edited October 2009

Nordy what made you decide on the lower lumbar ?? Btw, thank you for the info on Dr flores he is in network for me but I am scared of someone who does such few Gaps a month.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2009

Nordy, re: NOLA in late winter/early spring--when is Mardi Gras in 2010? I'd avoid that like the plague, unless you want to earn your beads!!

Anne

• Jaimieh
    edited October 2009

Mardi Gras is February 16

• Nordy
    edited October 2009

LOL, Anne - I already looked up the dates for Mardi Gras - I am past the days when I would want to be there... Actually, even in my wildest days I never wanted to go to Mardi Gras! The first parade is Jan 6th and the finale is Feb. 16, as Jamieh said. I want to give myself a good 3 months to recover from my bso/hyst before having more surgery anyway, so that puts me into the beginning of March.

Jamieh- I liked the placement of the scar line better for the incision site. That is my reasoning... the fact that it helped pull my stomach a bit tighter (just a bit, but enough for me to notice) was a bonus. Do you need me to forward those pics?

• Jaimieh
    edited October 2009

I would love for you to forward your pictures.  I will send you a PM.  Thanks :)

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2009

Hi Guys! I just got home yesterday from a second stage two. I had a little more scar revision and lipo.I think this time is going to be the charm, Although they looked great before. Added a tiny bit more fat to one breast as well. I met the new Doctor Massey I think is how you spell her name. I was really impressed with her. I hope she can help my friends that have limphodema. I questioned her about it and apparrently there are some proceedures that can help. She even told me she could give a massage therapist instructions on how to give a massage that can help to drain lymphnodes. I just love that place. Sorry I missed you Minnesota and Momsdaughter! That Lipo shuts me down fast! I will not be out for a couple of weeks for sure!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2009

Pam,  Wow, Nov. 5th is just around the corner and then you can say good riddance to those "crappy boobs" and hello dollies!  LOL.. Good luck.  Lydia,  So glad you met and were impressed with Dr. Massey -  she is my doctor and I will be having DIEP in just a little over 2 weeks.  She surely could help out your friend.  She is amazing. Glad you are happy with your revisions.

Linda

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2009

Hi Lydia! Glad you have that done now!

re: lipo-- is it more of a soreness, or actual pain? I'm curious, since I've not had it and my stage two is Dec. 9!  Are you back in compression garments? Any drains?

Thanks!

Carolynn

• poolgirl
    edited October 2009

I had both times alot of bruising. I am using ice packs on the worst one.  It is also soreness. Like you did too many but lifts at the gym. But cheeks, back of legs, and thighs are sore. Back in the girdle for two weeks. No drains. I went back to work after two weeks last time but it took about three months to feel normal again. I am a puffy person and I expect I will have to take Lasik tomorrow for my swollen legs. It is going to be beautiful though and worth it all.

• iamc
    edited October 2009

Thanks for the info, Lydia! I agree, it willl all be worth it! Hoping you recover without too much discomfort!

• poolgirl
    edited October 2009

Thanks! I will be glad to answer any questions if it will help anyone feel more comfortable, When the bruising goes away I can post pictures,

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2009

For those with the "hard spots" after Stage 1 - don't know if it will help anyone else, but I use my "massager" (mine is electric) to help breakdown the hard spots.  Since my LE was in my breast and right side after my 1st BC, it was always difficult and tiring to do all the massage with my left hand, so using the massager helped.  Might want to check if dr thinks it is ok, but has worked for me...

• iamc
    edited October 2009

I developed a few small hard spots on the outside edge of my left breast. I lightly massaged a bit every day and now they are gone  :)

And WOOHOO my output this am from the hip drains was 19 left and 17 right. I'm getting closer! 

• Dejaboo
    edited October 2009

Linda- You are one week after me!  Good Luck to you...If I dont get to post later.

Lydia-Hope you feel good soon.  Id love to see pictures later.

Carolynn- Hope your drains stay low & you get to pull them soon!

I posted a neat song Link on the KWWH The Daily JukeBox  Thread (link probably wont work)

Has some good Lyrics if you want to check it out.

Pam

• plainjane64
    edited October 2009

Trick or treat?  hee hee..I LOVE this holiday!

Pam......I swear if I were any happier people would accuse me of being on crack. Probably ADD- helped immensely when I ran our ER, w/ 2 other nurses several yrs ago-I'm over that now. I'm very much a morning person and wind down as the day goes on.  Actually as I said need to cut back effexor that was given to help w/ SE of Tamox.  Will also continue going to the symphony, listening to classical music in the car, and will be taking up yoga very soon......anything to help me take it down a notch-Just too high strung.  ok, enough about me sorry!....FOCUS>>>>>>>>>

Pam what day do you take off?  are you packed?

re:   The hard spots...yes, have been massaging but sheesh mine feel bigger this am and armpit feels fuller....grrrrr.....I see the LE therapist Mon at 8am...will get her take and do everything else I need to do, know how to do(exercise-walking, deep breathing/ incentive spirometry, lots of water, elevate arm, etc, etc......).  I have sort of kept them(hard spots) in varying amounts outer side of each breast but esp L(previously irradiated) definitely a bigger offender...nothing new....patience, slow steady, consistent.....uggg.........

Oh girls...Celeste is back from maternity leave.  Apparently returned Thursday?  At any rate she called me fri am to check on meSmile.  I was very happy to chat w/ her.  I had met her when I went for consult in August but knew I wouldn't get to see her in Sept when I went for stage 1.  She is sharp, on the money and knew all the answers to all MY questions and details and just a NICE person!  Yippee! Can't wait to SEE her in Dec.

Melanie, I was thinking whenever you come down(pasta chef)....I have ALL these cool tools for my Kitchen- aid that were a gift...from an old boyfreind...eeks like 15 yrs ago.  Never used them...I know some are for pasta....I have a really cool great kitchen set up.....Or we could order/go out!  LOL!

Last pm after FTW symphony-it was Tchaikovsky-and awesome- My friend and I decided we were hungry so went to simply fondue and split....OMG...its a chain but it was awesome...gee wonder if that's why Im swollen/puffy this am?....duuh, probably.  Anybody else ever been?  Go sometime if you have one near you. www.simplyfondue.com that may have been a no- no but whatever!

Sandy, decided I'm charging the under construction T...will get USDB later....priorities!

Ok, better go finish getting ready for trick or treat and neighbor stop by tonight!  fun, fun, fun!

xoxo,jennifer