Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2009

Hey Sandy exciting news that they may get you in for your revision surgery. Good Luck!! and don't party too much!!!!!!!

Ok Nordy I got the word yesterday from Stacy to pull that last drain. I am actually waiting another day or so since it has just started to lighten up. Should we pull our drains out on Monday toether for good luck?

Pam looks like you are next. You will be in great hands. Drink tons of water after your surgery to get all those drugs out of your body. Good luck!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2009

Hi all,

This is are such an active group!!!  

About the drains after stage 2: one of the nurses told me that whenever they work on your butt, drains are involved. I had Stacked DIEP/lumbar, and am expecting at least lumbar drains. I may get Ab too b/c I am asking him to lower the incision.

grrrrrrrrrr. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2009

The Center is so booked up that I doubt I'll get worked into the schedule for any revisions this year, but asked to be put on a cancellation list. Otherwise, it will be the first week of January. 

Stephanie, don't worry.  We were only out until 2:00 a.m. this morning enjoying jazz and chatting with Minnesota and her DH!  LOL  We haven't seen Celeste yet but I did see photos of her two gorgeous girls a couple of weeks ago and they look just like her.  So cute!!!

Jennifer, you'd better show us what you look like in the tees!  I wore my USDB shirt yesterday and a guy on Bourbon Street asked what it means!   I just laughed and told him it's an inside joke. 

We went to the House of Shock haunted house last night.  If you ever have the chance to go, just make sure to tell your DHs to watch out for nipple-pinchers!   I don't know if mine were pinched because I wouldn't have felt it, but my DH was caught off-guard----who would have guessed???

• Springtime
    edited October 2009

Moms!

Glad you and Minn are living it up in Nawlins!

I hope your appts go well on Monday! Report back! 

Spring. 

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited October 2009

This is are such an active group!!!  Spring........'cuz of you my dear!  Thanks so much!

Linda

• PhyllisCC
    PhyllisCC Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2009

Pam,

I found  you.  ((((((((Pam)))))))

Best wishes, Phyllis

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2009

I Love your energy Jennifer!

I am sort of packed...I will re look things over tomorrow.

We were going to carry on only...We may check bags now...Or maybe just on the way home.

Still thinking...LOL

I fly out Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks for all the well wishes Ladies & Phyllis thanks for your Post & Wishes too.

How soon do the Drs say we can start Massaging?

Pam

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2009

Pam,

Dr. Massey doesn't recommend massage. If you get any hard areas, she'll take care of them in Stage 2. My PT was suggesting ultrsound to break up my necrosis, but Dr. M. nixed that. I noticed on Dr. D's question board, he doesn't think massage helps, either.

That said, my PT did very light massage for me to regain some arm and shoulder motion. More to break up any scar tissue than to deal with the necrosis. And, over the past 6 months, things have improved nicely on their own, but I'll still need some stage 2 work in these places.

Patience, girl!! You may not even HAVE necrotic areas!

Anne

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2009

Good to know, Anne. My disappearance of the knots may have just been coincidence. I didn't spend much time massaging them then a few days later, gone. If I have any others, I'll leave them alone, LOL.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2009

Nordy & Plainjane...

little birdy said y'all were looking for me!? whats up?

Marcia

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2009

Pam,  I'll be thinking about you. Post when you feel up to it and let us know how you did and are doing.  Many blessing  to you.  Linda

• Dejaboo
    edited November 2009

Thank you Linda.

Pam

• AnneW
    edited November 2009

Pam!! Your big day is coming soon!! You've been through so much, but I just know Dr. Massey & co. will get things looking right on you again! Hang in there while you count down the final minutes! And give Dr. M a really big hug for me! Two weeks from today is my time again!

Anne

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2009

Hi Girls...wow, I step away and I feel so far behind! loll I haven't been able to read it all yet but just wanted to drop a line to say Hi..doing well and thinking of my BFF's all the time (Breast Friends Fighting!) lol

Maybe Trishia should sell us the massager for our breasts "hard spots" like Gin did...hey, T....good idea? lol and Trishia, did you say the drs removed fat from your arms? WIll they do that? Is it extra for other areas that are not related to the DIEP????

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2009

Hey AnneW -  Where do you access Dr D's question board?  Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.  The entire lower half of my right breast is hard.  Dr D said it was due to the irradiated tissue holding fluid, and a gentle "pushing" massage, would help move it along but it could takes months to be absorbed, and whatever was left at stage two, he could remove.  But I would like to access his question board...Thanks! Ginnie

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2009

Just reread some stuff - Warrior and Trishia - want to know more about dr remving fat from your arms....course I also want it remvd from my thighs and upper stomach, so I may owe him a LOT more than what the diep procedure covers! lol

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2009

Hey Pam - hope your packing is complete now and that you are getting excited to go and have this done!  Say 'hi' to Dr. M for me!  Let us know how things go for you!

Anne - Two weeks from today!  Can't wait to hear how Stage 2 goes for you - please let us know as soon as you can!  I'm three weeks behind you and would really love the details!  By the way, I think you are listed as "Lisa" on the dates above....LOL!

December looks like such a busy month at NOLA - hope I get a chance to meet up with some of you when we're there.

• Springtime
    edited November 2009

Anne W - do you want me to add your procedure to the listing above? (Sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it, I do my best! ) I have stage 2 early Dec, and a lot of women following, so we will all be interested to know about your "story"!!!

Minnesota and Mom'sDaughter are there today having their appts! Can't wait to hear back.

Pam, how are you holding up dear??? Hanging in there??  Wait until you wake up and see and feel your new boobs. You just wait. !!!

I think if they remove fat from your arms too you get another incision line. (I think Trisha said this). Just FYI. I was thinking about it, but for me, not worth an incision! I will ask though. Do you think it woudl cause Lymphedemia though? For those of us with nodes out in armpit? Hmmm. That was another thing I was thinking about.

Gin, you asked about the Doctors Question forum thing, that Dr. D "hosts". This is it, called "Ask the Doctor". There is a lot of info here if you are willing to read through all this stuff.

http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/index.html?1245443952 

Spring. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2009

Busy, busy, busy... this thread is so fun to read!

Anniese - SO glad to see you post!!! I hope all is well!

Pam - hang in there and good luck w/all you have to do today. Let us know how things are going.

Drains.... this is my life... BUT I believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and I will hopefully reach that tomorrow. Both drains are staying below 20 for the past 5 days. I hope that that will do and there will not be fluid build up again after she takes them out. Like I said, at this rate I will still have them at stage 2...

K - hope everyone had a great weekend... AnneW - I want to know all about your stage 2 as well since I think you had said you are having some lipo but not a tummy tuck - that is what I am wanting at stage 2 also, so am realllyyyy interested to see how it goes!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2009

Nordy girl...will call you this evening..

Pam, I am so excited for you! You will be so happy with the new you...I promise! Best,Marcia

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2009

MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA - I am so jealous of you in the bikini!  You look MAAAAAARVELOUS DARLING!  SIMPLY MARVELOUS!

• melaniew1
    edited November 2009

MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA - I am so jealous of you in the bikini!  You look MAAAAAARVELOUS DARLING!  SIMPLY MARVELOUS!Laughing

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2009

Pam you are going to do great and be SO happy!!! 

I can for sure sell you any type of massager for any areas on your body that need attention!  Just let me know what you want.  *winks*

Nordy~*crossing my fingers for no drains and no seromas*  We are driving back from Seattle on the 19th.  Looks like that day is not going to work.  I will have to make it over to Portland soon.

As far as the fat under the arms, you will all probably be different thane me.  I has a LOT of excess fat there, as I gained weight there over the past 3 years.  So he couldn't just lipo it out.  Same with the excess fat on the dog ears at my hips.  I already had additional scars from my first whacked out PS, the mx, and then the football shapes from the DIEP..so what were a couple of more to me!  I call myself Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas!  LOL!  And you know what?!?!?!  Even with all the scars, I STILL feel like the sexiest beotch on the planet!!!!!  I have not felt this good about me since I was 20 years old.  It is AWESOME!!  I never thought I would feel this way again.  Every woman deserves to have this feeling.  I am SO thankful for Dr. S and the Center.  

And today is my one year anniversary of no smoking!  Yay me!!! 

• melaniew1
    edited November 2009

TRISHIA - Congratulations on  the NEW YOU, inside and out!  I can not wait for stage 2, I just know I will feel the same way.  I am already so happy with me after stage 1, even with the muffin top I have for an upper abdomen and the "love handle" fat that looks way outta place with such a FLAT lower abdomen!  I am counting the days again until stage 2....44 more days to go! 

WAY TO GO ON THE NO SMOKING THING!  MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT! 

XXOO MEL

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2009

Thanks Melanie!  I felt that way after Stage 1, and I had the same thing as you...muffin top upper ab and love handle hips!  After stage 2 you will feel this good times 100!!!  : )  Hard to believe isn't it!

• AnneW
    edited November 2009

Spring,

Yeah, add me. I think maybe, though, I'm the "Lisa" who is listed on my date, in Charleston?? LOL. Anyway, I'm Stage 2 SGAP on Nov 16, in Charleston, with Dr. Massey.

That just sounded like the game Clue!

Anniese, how goes all the draining?? Any more fluid aspirated?

I promise updates as soon as I'm able post-op. I know several of you are waiting in the wings!

Anne

• Dejaboo
    edited November 2009

Awe- Thanks for all the Sweet Send off notes.

I am more nervous then excited right now.  But not too nervous for the moment.

its hard to believe I am really doing this- LOL

I hope I am as happy as everyone else.

dh got to argue with my Insurance 1/2 the day.  They finally approved me for (get this) Accidental Dental Insurance!  And then sent me a letter Friday telling me that & a lteer was sent to some Dr I have never heard of! 

Supposedly it is all worked out correct now.  I sure hope so.

Trisha,  I am so happy for you- That is great that you feel so good about yourself!!

Congrats on No Smoking for a year!! 

Im still not finished packing...Will try to do that tonight.  I do have some time tomorrow too.

LindaGood Luck to you on the 12th!  I have my Post op with Dr S...So That Dr M can do your surgery- LOL   (But I dont mind)

You too AnneW, Good Luck with Stage 2- Although I hope I am busy posting by then..

Pam

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2009

Sorry Nordy I pulled that last drain today. I am FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! It felt so good to have a shower without that stupid shoelace hanging around my neck.

Pam you really don't need to pack much. While you are in the hospital the gowns are fine and they have a great robe to wear. You really only need something for you pre and post op visits and something to go home in. Good Luck, you are in the best of hands.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2009

Stephanie - SO lucky!!! Hopefully mine will be out tomorrow morning!!!

Marcia - Yes, I was looking for you, just because I MISSED you! 

Well, the date for my davinci bso/hyst is set: Dec. 2nd. Now, here is the kicker. I s/w my mom last week... Here is a reason why our families need to get health histories right!!! She has told me for YEARS that my aunt died of ovarian ca and told me my cousin also had OC 3 years ago. When I talked to her last week she said, "Oh, your aunt didn't die of ovarian cancer, she died of uterine cancer." WHAT? I had a little chit chat with her and told her that she needed to get her facts straight as I was having surgery soon and it would be good to know what I really need the surgery for!!! Anyway, so the bottom line is that both my aunt and cousin had endometrial cancer (arising from the uterus). My cousin was young and they caught it early, my aunt, not so lucky. I have researched and there is a link with breast cancer to endometrial cancer as well... and it appears that that is what is going on in my family (hence the BRCA negative results? - but some other genetic component obviously). SO, it turns out that taking out my uterus is a good thing (and probably more necessary than my ovaries!), but man... what if all this time I thought it was OC and opted just to have my ovaries removed?!!!  Goodness! So, Spring, even though it is technically not a reconstructive surgery - 12/2 is the date for my davinci bso/hyst!

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2009

Yes, Marcia...You have been missed.  I wish we could blow up these avatars  But I have no doubt that pic is even more fabulous!

Sandy, yes, I guess I will have to take some pics......I absolutely hate having my picture made....it is truly a personal problem, I know.....Actually trying to get up and running on twitter...I think I'm plainjane64 on there too...was trying to skip facebook, however learned from a sister yesterday we have some huge family reunion in the works thanks to some contacts made on facebook. 

Uuummm.......so yeah I was all- 'Oh wait, financial self control!' on ordering the t-shirts......I ended up adding, this and that and ...HEY!  who wants to pay shipping?  Lots of great stuff I wanted on your site.....and I'm not even a bride!

Pam- tick tock!  It's going to be spectacular!  Have a very safe trip and ENJOY!

I have to go read about hard spots on ask the doctor.  I like Gin's answer best because I have more in the previously irradiated breast.  But my LE therapist was questioning...maybe scar tissue? too.  Wish I understood the actual mechanics of the operation better.......like what exactly anatomically do they connect the flap to...esp on the outer side......again wish I could watch the surgery....maybe AFTER I'm recovered from stage 2.

Last pm I stayed over at my sister's house, just too tired to drive home.....time change and yes, I am just no good after 9 or 10 pm....anyways, turned and slept a bit on the side...HEY tomorrow is 6 weeks!  BUT almost accidentally turned onto my abdomen(for like a second! lol)...YIKES!  rib cage, abdomen still pretty tight.  LE therapist can't wait for the magical 6 weeks point to do??? some fascial, something.  OH and this is no big surprise...My LE therapist/PT /wound therapist has been practicing 15+ years....Today she told her student and me my recon is THE BEST she's ever seen.  She does have a LOT of experience did her LE training at the Vodder school in British Columbia (a very highly regarded place in the very small world of lymphedema/lymphology).  I've let, or invited in, 2 shadowing students on separate occasions.  One high school...I think we overwhelmed her.  Today's was a college PT applicant student who already had an accounting degree but she has lots of interest in women's health, her mom a BC survivor.  I think they are going to hire her(even tho they don't use techs)...she was vaccuuming in the gym area to help out my LE therapist when I was leaving.  Hey, I know plenty of people who'd love to hire her!  LOL!  These LE therapists-good ones are very few and far between and always have waiting lists.  GREAT job security!

Sandy....I remember you saying you had a lot of lipo...in the bum? hips?  did you have drains? 

Someone asked about lymphedema if arms were cut.  I am certainly no expert BUT what I do know is you have a lot of lymphatic channels in your skin and ANY scar disrupts the flow.  Part of the big issue w/ breast lumpectomies/irradiated breasts and lymphedema people tend to be confused on is that it is the DISRUPTION of lymphatic flow....not necessarily the lack or dissection of axillary nodes, tho that certainly can host other issues and LE problems.  Ok, I'm going to quit being the self appointed know it all...but HEY- as pee wee herman said " I LIVED it!"

Trishia, congrats on quitting smoking.  I thank God it's one habit I never started...I have enough other bad ones! lol!

ok, sorry to drone!

xoxo,

jennifer