Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited November 2011

Nerve zingers!  (c:  Can't wait.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

I have never had zingers, so doesn't happen to everyone.

Lisa.. i had  a low grade fever after stage one because my lung wasn't fully inflated... maybe you should try the incentive spirameter.

• Adey
    edited November 2011

incentive spirameter

For some reason this reminds me of Rocky Horror Picture Show!  Tongue out

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2011

BDavis:  If you can let me know what Dr. D says about the hard area near the abdominal scar just below the navel, that would be great.  I hope it goes away.  It's weird how your abdominal can't bend smoothly.

Denounment:  how long have you had the hard spot?  just wondering if it is permanent. 

I have nerve zingers every so often.  I have them in my lifted breast and groin area.  I guess the nerves from the abdominal area are close to the groin.  It is slowly going away.  They don' happen as often as not as nerve racking.  I think they'll eventually go away. 

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Its on my list.. so will let you know. Maybe he can remove it during stage II, but Dana has been stage II (in August) and she said she still has it.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2011

Adey, the Center sent me a little Arnica kit with many days of pills all separated out into little vials. Very cute! I was told by them to start taking the day before surgery. I took one dose and a few hours later had the worst tummy ache and GI distress that I've ever had!! (Starting while on the plane...). Needless to say, I did not take any more. I read later that GI disturbance is not uncommon. I would advise trying it out a little ahead. My stomach stuff didn't last long, but it was kind of hard to eat dinner the night before surgery and it got me very worried that I'd be going into surgery with a bad, bad tummy. Funny thing, I had virtually no bruising from the lipo. Had I taken the whole course of the Arnica I would have assumed that it had done the trick. It's kind of like scar cream, or maybe compression for weeks or months...(and lots of other stuff) --- when you have a good outcome, you never know if you would have had it anyway!!

• Adey
    edited November 2011

Thanks for the heads up J!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Wow... they sent it to you?? I asked them if I should take it and they said yes and I could get it at Whole Food.. You must be special Jerusha.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited November 2011

I'm 6 months for stage 1 and almost 3 from stage 2 but that spot was opened up again during my hyst so it's almost 3 months old...I was going to wait until 6 months from stage 2 to see how it was as it's my understanding we need to wait at least that long before thinking about additional revisions.

The Center did not give me arnica either, I got it from Amazon - the little pellets that dissolve under your tongue.  I took 5 every 2-3 hours starting 3 weeks before my stage 2 surgery and up until about 3 weeks after - I barely bruised at all.  I didn't take any before stage 1 and I had turned all sorts of insane colors so it definitely worked!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

See? Jerusha is special!!...

And Dana, since I saw you like 3 days post op Stage II, you looked totally normal, even your incisions looked so clean and unbruised.

• Adey
    edited November 2011

Thanks Dana I better start soon!

• denouement
    edited November 2011

oh good to know.  that was 2 days post op and I felt like i was going to pass out of vomit at any moment so it's good to know I looked okay to you :-)  That must have been a funny sight - you, me and Rosemary all topless comparing breasts and scars in your room at the center when the nurse walked in...funny!

My hard spot looks okay - the incision right near it is more raised and red in that inch section or so than the sections around it but that is because it was reopened for the hyst.  However that knot was there from stage 1 and while it's a bit less now it still have not gone away.  Curious to hear what Dr. D says about your and I'll keep you all posted on my myofacial massage quest.

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited November 2011

Question is there a special way to clean the week 2 nipple protectors(soap and water)? The keflex is giving me the worst headache.. My energy level is slowing coming back

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2011

Ugh Betsy, I have the plantar fascitis too. Let me know if you find something that works. My ortho is talking surgery. I dont want another surgery. Going to try acupuncture next. And I hate needles. The things we do in desperation. I'll let you know if it works.

• Jerusha
    edited November 2011

Ro, If you are talking about the brown papery ones, they are not really meant to be re-used and certainly look like they would fall apart. I was very unhappy with having to put back on "used" ones after showering and betadining every day. The Center did send me out more twice, but that still meant wearing the same ones for several days at a time.

(SEE Betsy, I don't get everything I want! Hahah. I didn't even get a suture removal kit!)

They are available for sale on the Internet -- but super expensive -- over $300 for a month supply.

But when you are ready to toss a set, I think trying to wash them is a great idea. Why not? Wish I'd thought of that:)

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Jerusha... well I got like 5 suture removal kits, so I guess we're even.. I will be sure to leave room in my luggage to ask for some supplies BEFORE I leave.

KBodie... So I went today to the PT and she used an ultrasound, showed me a stretch (which I already knew), had me do contrast foot soaks and encouraged me to get a custom orthodic... and to get a heel gel in the meantime... said my fat pads were very low... So of course, I was thinking while Dr D is lipo'ing fat next week, have him inject some into my heel... LOL

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2011

I'm thinking that maybe sometimes the Center has samples of stuff, like Arnica, that they hand out as long as they have it. Or maybe they provide stuff for a while to see if it's helpful and later decide to discontinue. I think every single woman who goes there is considered "special"!

• Jerusha
    edited November 2011

I was thinking that too, Minnesota. Also about the special part!!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

I still have 2 boxes of ABD pads and a box of gloves left.  Saving them for stage 2.

I am wanting to go to the C4YW in Feb, but I'm not sure I can swing it.  I've asked a couple people if they'd go with me but none interested so far.  I tried scheduling my Stage 2 around that time, but I would have been in NOLA far too long.  I'll have to keep thinking about it.  

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2011

Only original supplies I still have from the Center is from the second batch of betadine swabs they sent! Having to buy my own ABD pads ... even at WallyWorld, they are pretty pricey!

I have always used Arnica gel, but have never taken the tablets. I think that I will look into that before Stage 2 as I think Dr. D. is going to go to town with lipo and I KNOW how that bruises -- and me being very fair-skinned and bruises easily anyway. We don't have a Whole Foods near here ... would GNC have the tablets, do you think?

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2011

Anyone heard from Victoria? Hope you are doing ok coming out of the stage 1 fog. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• denouement
    edited November 2011
    I'm not sure if GNC would have arnica pellets but it's worth calling them.  I found my at Whole Food and also at a local drug store that carried a lot of homeopathic remedies, but they were pricey!   Like $7 or $8 for one tube which you go through QUICK!  I wound up ordering them on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Homeopathic-Medicine-160-Count-Packages/dp/B001G7QUVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320948502&sr=8-3 which gave me 6 tubes for about $17.50 (i get free shipping through Prime) but even if you paid for shipping it's like $24 which makes it $4 per tube.  Hope this helps!
  • Adey
    edited November 2011

Added to cart!  The bottle I got at Fruitful Yield will last 15 days if taken as prescribed.  I just read the directions.  Thanks Dana.

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2011

Thanks, Dana! That DOES help!! Even though I keep thinking 12/20 is so far away, like everyone else at this time of year, I think we will find that it will get here VERY quickly and I would like to be prepared!

How far in advance did you all get your paperwork, etc. from the Center? I haven't heard a peep for a long time now, have laid out quite a bit of $$$ in advance (still need one airline ticket!), and surgery day is 6 weeks away! Here I go hyperventilating -- again!!

• rogam
    edited November 2011
    I am over the nipple recon! They seem to be getting extremely moist and gooey(gross)! The say take the protector off and allow them to get some air. Then the brown tape does not adhere very well. On top of that I want to venture outside the home but umm the shields show thru...I am scheduled to return to work and not sure how this is going to look under my dresses(since i am still in the dom)?!!! I knew I should have avoided this stuff as it is one big mess.Yell
  • kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

Betsy - add one more to the list of the hard area. I guess I assumed I would always have it but I'm interested to hear if we can get rid of it.

Okay, here's a cost-saving tip for the day - one of the nurses at the Center suggested that instead of buying more betadyne swabs that I could buy a bottle of betadyne (I think it was about $7) and then pour it into one of the measuring cups you use for your drains and then use q-tips to swab.  It has been a big cost-saver and also I don't have to keep asking the Center for more supplies.

Just found out the Marena garment doesn't arrive until Monday. I can stop wearing the Dom today but I have nothing to replace it! Ugh!

• rogam
    edited November 2011

Kathryn I just checked and my Marena is being delivered today. My dom is getting loose i wonder if it is okay to switch over now. My two weeks is up next Tuesday.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

celtic_antique:  no worries, you should be getting your paperwork any day.  I'm scheduled one week before you and I just got mine. You've got plenty of time since the testing that you need done has to be completed 20-30 prior to surgery.  I just scheduled my pre-op testing for Nov 21.  

So, I know having to have a personal companion upon departure from the hospital, as well as, a companion on your flight home really threw you for a loop.  Have you been able to get it all figured out?  

What kind of weather can I expect in December in NOLA?  I was there last November and it was t-shirt weather.  Hope December is more of the same!  Do you think the Quarters will be all decked out for Christmas?  I saw a little of it last November since we were there around Thanksgiving time but hope it they go all out. 

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited November 2011

rogam - sorry for the nipple issues......so far i havent had the same thing.  i wonder if it is weather related.  it is cool where i am and warmer where you are.  i have been wearing a sweater vest when i go out.  congrats on the DOM getting loose.  mine isn't.  I think the problem is that the areas that it is tight are not my lipo'd areas.  My butt ain't shrinking.  lol

i have used arnica also but a different one.  the 200 ck one which i think it is a higher potency than 30c. my naturopathic doctor put me on 5 different boiron pellets for after surgery.  i took them both times and so far so good.

arnica montana 200ck

staphysagria 200ck

calendula officinalis 200ck

ledum palustre 200ck

hypericum perforatum 200ck

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2011

DB -- In fact, heard from Janine today! She also said paperwork will be forthcoming -- can't have my labs done until the 20th November anyway. Just something for me to pickle about!!

Have gotten the companion thing under control. I have family in NOLA and they will take the first round. Sister may fly down for some of the time. We'll see. I'm takin' it one day at a time!

Weather can be just about anything in NOLA in December! Truly!! I will bring a few long sleeved things, some warmer weather things, and just make do. As my aunt always used to tell me, "Margaret [pronounced NOLA "Mawgret"], in NOLA layers are the word for the winter ... " :-)