Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

My surgery is Dec 15.  I got my paperwork a couple days ago and I talked to Katie today.  I'll be getting my pre op testing done Nov 21 as well.  I can't wait to see everything decked out for Christmas!  I've been reading up on what to do/see while we're there.  I've got to start working on planning my schedules for home while I'm gone, and for me in NOLA.  I'm working on getting the house back in shape (only the essentials were done during chemo) before Thanksgiving so I can concentrate on Christmas before I leave for NOLA.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

I am traveling and was away last night. I don't think anybody asked me to add them to the list, but let me know if I missed it. Three pages missing one day!!!

Ro, sorry!!!! Hang in there. The nip stuff does resolve. If I was you, I'd go straight to the Marena!!! You need a break! You sound like you're fed up! (understandable!!) 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

Rogam - I think the smaller the better. If it were me, I'd switch!  Let me know how you like the Mirena.  Congrats on graduating. 

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2011

Kathryn, I bought the "generic" Betadine also, Povidone-Iodine, for about the same price. I actually skip the pouring into cup step cause that stuff is so messy. I poked a q-tip size hole in the seal and stick the qtips right in. They don't drip that way and I think it is fine as long as you never stick a used one back in. For each end of the qtip --one dip, one swipe of an incision, and then garbage. Through all of stage 1+2, using it over a month each time, the 8oz bottle is only down about 1/2 an oz. That's enough for 16 surgeries! LOL. Definately preferable to the swabs.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

GNC does sell the Arnica... that's where I bought mine.

I also bought the bottle of betadine in August, like $18, so when I went back to NOLA I asked for more swabs as they can only be ordered, and are very expensive.

And yes, everyone is very special.. I was just joking with Jerusha for getting the pills

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2011

My ob/gyn, who has been helping me with the open spot on my incision, recommended tea tree oil both to help keep the incision clean and to soften and remove scabs.  I started using tea tree oil on my breast incisions and the scabs all came off within a day or two.  I still have an open draining spot on the hip flap incision, and am on a second round of antibiotics (now tetracycline).  I am also packing it twice a day.  It has been draining for over two weeks.  Really hoping the infection will be gone and it will close up within the next week.  Greetings and happy healing to all!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2011

Sonya- I am sorry that you still need to be dealing with healing problems with the hip flap incision.  This has been a long road.  

Kathryn and Jerusha - I purchased a bottle of povidone-iodine and used gauze pads as an applicator instead of q-tips (at the suggestion of one of the nurses at the Center)- just dripped it on the gauze.  I also purchased more ABD pads - used the phone number on the pads we received from the center.  The price was the lowest  -   I think $3 dollars and change for a box (less than the local drug store or amazon.com) and they delivered in just a couple of days. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

Hi All,

I know some of you here had dense breast tissue and mammograms missed the tumor. You remember that on Nov 4th, there was an FDA hearing on mammogram reporting to allow women to be informed that they have dense tissue and that this is a risk. THE MEETING WAS A HUGE SUCCESS!!!

Please please take a few minutes and follow the link below and ask your Congressperson to support Federal Bill HR3012 (The Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2011) 

I received an email from JoAnn (Density advocate) tonight. 

Please consider sending quick note to your congressperson (easy to do following the link) and ask for their support of Federal Bill HR3012 (The Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2011) https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
    Email from JoAnn:  
    UPDATE:Wonderful news! You were kind enough to voice your support of an amendment to federal requirements for the inclusion of breast density in the letter sent to women after their mammograms.    Last week  Are You Dense Advocacy testified before the  FDA’s Mammography Quality Standards Act Advisory Committee.  Testifying were  patients, researchers, practicing radiologists and national advocacy groups (Komen Advocacy Alliance, among them) who all voiced their strong support of inclusion of density in the patient letter.  The FDA official in charge of the meeting commented on “all those letters” received in favor from around the country. The result?  The FDA Advisory Panel concurred that density information SHOULD be included in letter sent to patient.  The FDA has asked Are You Dense Advocacy to submit suggested language as they contemplate a final recommendation.  We remain optimistic this will continue its forward movement. PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU WERE PART OF THE IMPETUS FOR THIS RECOMMENDATION. INDEED, IT PROVES THE POWER OF ONE. As a regulatory solution may yet take time, we will continue with legislative efforts on both the state and federal level.  So, one more favor to ask.  Can you please contact your congressperson: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml  

and ask for their support of  Federal Bill HR3102 (The Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2011).   Congressional members have – literally – hundreds of bills sitting in their computers, sometimes all it takes is for ONE constituent to show interest in something, for them to support/cosponsor it. 

• kathrynla
    edited November 2011

Spring - thanks for that link! A very important bill for women's health!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2011

I found that using sanitary napkins instead of ABD pads worked really well after I gave up my DOM. I stuck them onto the inside of my Spanx and that way they didn't ever fall to the ground and they were always in the right place. I imagine that they're less expensive then ABD pads too!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

For those of you heading to NOLA be sure to check out New Orleans Groupon's Deal of the Day: Southern Style Tour of the Central Business District including French Quarters, celebrity homes, Lower 9th Ward to see the effects and rebuilding of Hurrican Katrina. Three hour driving tour for one $22 or two $39, 

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu3560738

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2011

Betsy -- Talked to Janine yesterday (confirming I will have aftercare -- duh, my cousin lives there!) and she is sending me the Arnica packet, too. I just asked if it was recommended and she said that it is up to each individual woman as to whether she wants to try the therapy. I'm an Arnica believer, so I said yes!

Toomuch -- love the idea of a sanitary napkin -- a light days one should be plenty, it has adhesive to keep it in place, and is DEFINITELY less expensive than the ABD pads! Good answer! Goes on the list for Stage 2!

Still feeling punky on the Keflex, but after a little research found out it can make one feel nauseous, tired, headaches, fevers, and diarrhea among others. And I am 4 for 4! Looking forward to the pill bottle being empty -- was in bed at 8:30 last night, for heaven's sake! And I'm a night owl!!

As a dense breast gal, I really appreciate the link. Will attend to that this AM!!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited November 2011

Thanks Springtime. I followed your link and contacted my congressman.

Celtc_Antique - I used sanitary napkins for my Stage 1 and am using them again for my Stage 2 now that I have run out of ABD's. They work great. I would recommend going with Always as they are not as noisy as Kotex brand. IMO. I had initially bought a box of Kotex pads. I had 4 of them on (both breasts and two across by ab) when I went to sleep. Everytime I rolled over I could hear them 'crinkling' in my sleep. It is hard enough to sleep I didn't need noisy pads!!  Just a lesson learned.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2011

A cold front rolled into Nola on Wednesday and we've definitely needed layers--it's been windy and cold, but is supposed to warm up tomorrow. I've been here in November for the last four years and except for once, it's always been pretty cool. I've also been here the last three Januarys and found it necessary to wear gloves, a hat and coat. Two years ago it was 26 degrees and they were using salt on the streets in the FQ!

Alaina is taking me and my daughter to a plantation today and Marthe is here, and I'm going to see if I can meet her tonight. We are staying out by the airport so it might not work out, but I hope so!

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2011

Laura -- Thanks for the smile this gloomy Friday! "Noisy" sanitary pads (thought I do know what you mean!) -- brought a great image.

Hey, if you use the ones with "wings" do you get a butt lift? (so sorry, couldn't help myself!)

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2011

I've used both, and the ABD pads are definitely softer since they don't have any kind of backing. They're a little wider too, so if they shift around you don't lose coverage. You can find them online pretty cheaply, they don't have to cost much more than maxipads (if any more--it's been awhile since I bought pads!).

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2011

I did find that the ABD pads did leak once my drain was pulled -- woke up one night kinda damp all over! Imagine the super absorbency of the pad would have been better in that instance!

• besa
    edited November 2011

Springtime- Thanks for letting us know what happened at the FDA meeting.  I just used the link you provided to contact my congressman.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

I have used ABD, kotex and nursing pads.. I personally don't like the adhesive for drains, because as the compression garmetn slips, the pad moves with it and could push on the drain... for general leaking, thats a great feature.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2011

Ladies:

I had stage one about 15 mos ago and have been having weird breast pain starting 2 days ago and getting progessively worse. I am used to all the various twinges but this is really different. It's more pressure and pain and is quite painful to the touch. No redness and no obvious lumps though it's hard to tell about anything subtle because it's under a kind of wide scar. It's not excrucataing, but is definitely now too painful to ignore. 

Has anyone had anything like this so far out from the surgery? I have a call into the center but the collective wisdom here is pretty amazing!

• kathrynla
    edited November 2011

Amym159 - I wish I could help. I know the center said up to 18 months of nerve regeneration. I hope that's all it is for you too. Let us know what you hear.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Amy... obviously for me its too early to comment, but I hope its nothing and will pass.

• besa
    edited November 2011

Amym159-- I have not had this happen this far out - but 3 to 6 months out from my previous DIEP I have had "spitting stitches."  A suture that did not dissolve but finally works its way to the surface.  I felt pain first and eventually the pain turns into a small bump that hurts and finally rises to the surface and is expelled)   In my case it happend under  scar lines because that is where the surtures are.  I don't know if this is what you are dealing with or if it even occurs this many months out - but just a thought.  Tell us what the Center says.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2011

Hi Amy, I hope it's nothing too, but I would have it thoroughly checked with MRI or other imaging as soon as possible, if just to rule out any concerns.

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2011

OMG!!! LADIES, LAST NIGHT SLEPT NEKKED!! Well, I had my nightgown on, but no DOM, no pads, no bra -- and I slept on my side!!! First night since March of this year and my mastectomy! Did feel weird to not have the DOM on, but [sing with me] "Freedon, freedom, freedom, freedom ..."!!! :-) 

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2011

HI just testing

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2011

Hi Ladies,

I have been trying to post here since Wed! I made it through surgery, and am feeling better every day. It took me two days just to take a peek, and my 'girls' look great! The hospital staff, nurses, everyone is so caring here. So happy I chose Nola! Thanks for all your tips and support! 

• besa
    edited November 2011

VictoriaB -   You sound wonderful!  Rest up and be pampered by the hospital staff.  Now you will have a little time to get a taste of  New Orleans before returning home.

Celtic_antique  - It is a great feeling to be free of all that stuff.  Enjoy!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Will you still be in the hospital on Monday?? My surgery is Monday at 11.

• kathrynla
    edited November 2011

Congrats Victoria! The hardest part is behind you.