Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

Today is my 1 year anniversary of my BC diagnosis. So many people said that this mile marker would bring up a lot of issues - but what I'm realizing is that what was more devastating to me than my BC diagnosis, was learning I was + for the BRCA gene. This was a huge surprise for me since even though 2 of my father's 4 sisters had BC, they both got it in their late 60's - which I had been told was not hereditary (more evidence of reccuring medical misinformation). I have heard many BRCA women state that it was liberating to get the diagnosis - but for me it has felt like a downward spiral. This opened up so many more decisions that I had to address - but it also changed the route I took for my bc - I went from having a lumpectomy and radiation to a BMX.  In the end it also lead me to this board and all of the wonderful women and fabulous advice and support you have offered.  So somewhere in all the heartache and fear, there has been something good that has come out of it.  And I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2011

For those of you like me who have recently lost a butt and a stomach, and are still looking for jeans that don't fall down... Levi's is now sizing their jeans by "curve" profile.  The least curve--"slight curve" --fits me really well, and I used to be a pretty curvy 14.  Next curve up is "demi-curve", which was a little too roomy in the waist for me but if you have a more generous waist than me it might fit well. There are 2 more curve levels up, so if you're still sportin booty, go for it :)

Anyway... thought this might save someone a little time and frustration (and money).

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

Yay for sleeping through the night, 1 year anniversaries, and finding jeans that don't fall off!

Thanks to all of you who followed that link on the previous page and asked your Congressperson to support the bill about dense tissue and mammograms.

Here is a petition you can sign. The movement is really getting some traction now, please help keep the forward momentum...

http://instituteforhealthqualityandethics.com/Join_the_Petition.html 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

thanks for the link!  done.

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2011

@Betsy--I'm being released today but in town till Wed eve. I will certainly stop by. Just tell me if Mon or Tue is better and time to visit. Thanks!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2011

add one more signature to the petition.

Victoria:  you sound great!  glad everything went well for you.  

BDavis:  did the Dr. say anything about the hard area near the abdominal incision under the belly button.  Just curious but I could live with it.

I just went back to the gym two days ago. I did cardio for about 25 minutes on the eliptical.  My heart rate was a bit high but it felt so good to sweat!  I tried doing sit ups but upper abdominal area was sore.  Anyone have the same problem? 

The jeans issue is good to know.  Anyone know how cold it will be in NOLA in January?  

My husband wants to do the swamp tour.  I'm thinking it may not run in January?  I think the swamp tour is a "guy" thing because I'm scared of alligators and crocodiles but I'll go.

I wanted to go the cooking demonstrations.  Anyone know of a good one to attend? 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Kathryn... today is my one year anniversary also.. I also went from a lumpectomy and radiation to BMX, but by choice, not because of BRCA...

Victoria... I will be in surgery till later in the day Monday, so Tuesday am would be best.. then I am headed to Homewood Suites.

Surfa... I am not in NOLA yet... meet with Dr D on Monday, but will let you know.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited November 2011

Again, happy anniversary Betsy!  Have a safe, fun and productive trip!  I will be thinking of you on Monday, can not wait to hear how well you are doing.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Thanks Christine!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

bdavis: Will be thinking of you come Monday.  Good luck and enjoy the pampering.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Thank you :)

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2011

Done Spring! Kathryn we are fortunate to have met you,too! Gentle hugs,

M.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2011

Kathryn and Betsy, Thursday is my 2 year anniversary. I think we could do a little statistical study here... so what is it about mid November!! And I ALSO went from a treatment plan of lumpectomy/ radiation to lumpectomy/ BMX/no radiation. Despite being BRACA neg, my mother had breast CA in her 30's....and that was a long time ago-- when it was pretty uncommon for such a young woman. So it seemed to me unlikely that it was a sporadic case and not genetic. (Perhaps there are a number of genetic mutations, not yet identified). I have to say, that though I thought I was picking the easy, definitive route-- having essentially prophylactic MXS , these two years have felt anything but. I am certain that not one day has gone by where I have not spent time-- a little or a lot-- thinking about and complaining about, discomfort, pain, and fear. My husband and closest friends have listened every day for TWO years! Whew. Don't know how they've stood it! I hope that one day (SOON), I will feel good in my body and move beyond this. I spent the first year dealing with tissue expanders and implants and crappy doctors before I found this site and learned about NOLA. I wish I'd found it sooner, but I am so grateful for the cyber-support, the comfort and comraderie, I find on this board. Ive said it before, but being a part of bc.org , and particularly "Nola In Sept", is like being surrounded by a circle of the kindest and strongest women, who, with outstretched arms, catch you every time you fall. Thanks :)

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2011

Kathryn and y'all - I agree that getting to know you gals has been one of the perks of BC...

Victoria - Good to know you're doing well.

Amy - If the pain is soreness in the skin that feels like a bad sunburn, I've had that.

Good luck BDavis!

SurfaGirl - If u do the swamp tour in Jan., u might not have to be too scared of alligators. I did it in October, and when it's cold, they are very sluggish and can't digest food, so probably won't come into the boat to get u, assuming January will also be cool!

Celtic A - I liked your winged pad joke

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2011

Happy NOLA on your tomorrow, Betsy!!

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2011

Good luck Betsy! I will stop by on Tue if you feel up to it!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Landed, at the hotel and headed out soon for a good dinner at Court of Two Sisters... It was the first restaurant I ever ate at in NOLA, about 30 years ago. Here with my mom... and she was with me 30 years ago at that dinner, so I thought it appropriate, and should be yummy!!!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

And Jerusha... Two years is a long path.. I have been at it a year and look forward to the end SOON... I too agree that not all genetic mutations are tested... My dad's side of the family has a lot of prostate cancer.. another hormonal cancer... so I find it too coincidental for it to be just that... so off they came, also prophylactically.. and was able to avoid rads to boot... no regrets. I knew this would be a harder route, but better long terms outcome. I am planning on this being in my rear view mirror, and then living out the next 50 in peace.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2011

Good luck Betsy!

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2011

Betsy, Yay to the rear view mirror! Have a great dinner with Mom, a good sleep and best wishes for tomorrow. As I like to say...See you on the skinny side!

Will be thinking about you :)

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2011

Good luck tomorrw Betsy!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

Good luck tomorrow, Betsy!  What a special dinner.

KBodie:  did you get your surgery time?  Mine is 10am.

I went to yoga this afternoon.  I woke myself up twice starting to snore at the end! 

I love you NOLA ladies!! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

Good luck Betsy and Brandy! (Two B's!)

Nov 14 - BDavis - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA 

Nov 17 - BrandyB - Stage 2, NOLA.  

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited November 2011

Good luck Betsy I'll be thinking good healing thoughts for you on Monday

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2011

Kathryn, Betsy and Jerusha - Congrats on reaching milestones!

Betsy - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, hoping that you don't have a large area of necrosis and that Dr. D can make it all perfect!

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2011

Betsy - Bet you are nervous and excited?!  I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and we will all look forward to hearing from you when you "come to"! 

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Thanks Ladies... Dinner was great.. Court of Two Sisters is better than I remember!!! Love the courtyard.

Now in for the night.. I ae enough at dinner to hold me till Tuesday, which is good cause I doubt I will eat tomorrow.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Hello ladies. Feel like the prodigal daughter returning to the fold- personal life has been rather huge and really not easy so I have been AWOL big time.. Do read often and follow everyone's journeys but am now CRAmming !!!! with my stage 2 around the corner. Like Betsy I have some concerns about necrosis, hopefully dealt with easily for her tomorrow. My diep breast is a lot smaller and my remaining hard area seems to follow mx scar, and I guess I may be up for some ab scar revision too but thinking I might skip the lift and areola reduction?? but might change my mind on that still..have yet to make it to the gym, so much for the plan to lose weight before stage 2!! but we do what we can right? anyway, wonderful and inspiring to read all your posts! Rosemary

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Hey Rosemary... Sorry I haven't called... mom is here with me and it might be awkward... but will call Monday night (if I am coherent) or Tuesday.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

No worries ,rest up! And I will be thinking of you! X