Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

I had a different girdle this summer, not the Veronique... It was much less comfortable and wider zipper.. I have referred to that as the DOM.... anyone who gets the Hip Flaps, gets THAT girdle...

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2011

well, maybe that's what they're doing now. But prior to that the only girdle they gave people was Veronique.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

You got the Veronique with Hip Flaps?? When did they do that? Because both July and August this summer they gave me the other one and then in September mailed one to me... For some reason I thought your first surgery was at a different hospital... and with Dr Massey, no?

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2011

I think after DIEP most women are given an abdominal binder. If that is not comfortable they are given a "DOM", the one made by Flex-Support that goes to above knee. After Stage 2 most are given that same Flex Support if no coverage is needed below the knee. If it is, the "DOM" is the Veronique.

Flex-Support is not made in below knee sizes. There may be occasional sizing issues also -- one of them , can't remember what they told me, comes in larger sizes.

Betsy -- I've worn all three. To me, the Marena is way comfiest if you are planning on being in it for a while. Only get one-- they dry in a few hours. Also, I recommend ankle length even if you dont need it. They seem more comfortable than something with a band at thigh or calf, and you can wear them like leggings!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Thanks Jerusha... I was then given the Flex Support Dom this summer because I had Hip Flaps... I have the binder also, but was never told to wear it, as my hip flaps trumped my DIEP flap in where I needed support... THEN, last week, I was given the above the knee Veronique, but when I asked about compression for my knees, they gave me two mid-calf Veroniques.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

I do wonder how you pull the NON zipper Marena on.. is it tight? And Jerusha, you recommend AGAINST getting the mid-calf?

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

Betsy - I had/have all 3. When I did stage 1 (2 and 2b) I was given the black dom - with the side zippers. Then for stage 2 they lipo'd my knees and I needed a longer garment. I was given a full length  - below my knees - Veronique ( think that's who made it) - zipper in the front. Loved that - but also hated it because I was in NYC and it was 103 degrees.  But much more comfortable than the dom.  For stage 2b I ordered the Marena for when I could stop wearing the dom. So much more comfortable. Nicer material than the Veronique- smoother, easier to wear. For me the downside is I think the Marena is too big. I went by their size chart but I think that most of my body is a small, but my waist was a medium (always had a larger waist proportionately) that it sized me for a medium. Now, the part that really needs the compression - lower abdomen and hips - is too lose.  I can just slip the garment on easily.  I guess I need to go back and order the Small - but I hate to spend the money because I don't know how much longer I'll be wearing it (although I think I am now addicted to compression garments!)

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Thanks Kathryn... My Veronique has side zippers, just like the Flex Support.. I will measure mysalf and see what size I pop up as.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Would this one be good? My Veronique goes up to breasts.. this one looks lower.

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-99-2nd-stage-girdle-with-medium-legs.aspx

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2011

Bdavis - I ordered the Veronique high back with bra and zippers because I have lipo under my arms and down my sides and I wanted the attached bra. Mine goes above the knees. I should get it today. I'll let you know how it goes. I think once I'm done with that I'll go to spanx.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Snobird... That is sort of what I have (without the bra).. The Center gave me 2 (below the knee) and 1 (above the knee), but I would like to order the Marena... and knowing how high the Veronique is, I want to make sure the Marena will cover all lipo'd areas.. although even the Veronique doesn't compress the outer breast (under arm area).

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2011

Bdavis - I have now put on the Veronique and wow it feels so much better than that ab binder. I like having the attached bra as it brings some compression up under my armpits. The bra part is not really compression and I have gauze pads with holes in them for my nipples. Soooo much more comfortable than wearing a bra. I have the short over the knee style as I didn't have lipo below my hips but I can see that the full length or below the knee might be more comfortable for some.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

I have since ordered the Marena.. the Veronique is fine, but if the Marena is softer and without zippers, I am game to try it... Snobird.. I hope you enjoy it!!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011
  • Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2011

Betsy--unless you're unusually tall that Marena garment will come up to your bra line.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

ok.. good. I measured myself today, still quite swollen, so I hope I got the right size, but Lizette assured me I could get a smaller one if need be.  I went back to the Marena site and changed my order to this one:

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-37-2nd-stage-suit-with-suspenders-and-medium-legs.aspx

Because the "girdle" was not what the center gave me, they gave me a body suit.. so I figured I would try and replicate with the Marena... the other Marena garment just looked too low.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

The Marena I loved is linked up in the listing way at the top of this page. Betsy, I got that one with suspenders on ebay for 19.99, and I didn't like it - I had to cut the strap part off. Acutally, it was a stage 1 garment with zips I think. (Amy has it now)  However, everybody is different. It's a journey!!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

well... I first ordered the one up top (just longer) and then called them and changed it... I was afraid the one up top wouldn't go high enough.. Jeskacki says it will... what do you say? If I don't like it, I can always return it.

• Springtime
    edited November 2011

Yeah the one on top, the pic is very misleading. I assume it would be the same for the longer legged version too. I have a very long waist, and that one came up under my boobs, like the Veronique Dom. In the pic it shows it about at the waist. Not so...

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

hmmmm... wonder if I should change it back.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011
    Ok.. decided to order both.. and will just return one... Even got the size smaller in addition, worrying that by next week, I may need the smaller one... I told the woman that I hope they don't think I'm crazy for changing my order too much... and got 20% off the order as well. - Coupon: 6325E

• Jerusha
    edited November 2011

Way to go with the coupon! I think buying a few different styles, sizes and brands is the thing to do -- and returning what doesn't work for you. I tried the high backed looking for some compression on my back and sides, but found the ones with suspenders, the ones with wider velcro straps, and the ones with built in bras to be really uncomfortable in the armpit. They do have some bras that compress your back and sides that I liked better than the all-in-ones. My particular favorite is the "sleep bra", for regular daytime use and/or night.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

I don't see a sleep bra.. but for now, I am wearing a 'center" bra that has a whole cut out to protect my nipple... so until I am out of that phase, I will be wearing these great black compression bra.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

oh found it

• Springtime
    edited November 2011

Betsy, I found the whole compression garment thing made me crazy too, LOL about the lady on the phone... :))))

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

Is there a reason why the docs wouldn't let a patient wear their Marena in place of the  DOM or Veronique they provide, I mean right from the beginning?

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Well.. You would probably have to bring multiple sizes with you to NOLA cuz you wouldn't know which one is right... And they do GIVE you the Veronique... (or Support Flex).. so I just let them do what they want and go from there. They gave me one size and I asked for a different size the next day, so I have multiples.

• Jerusha
    edited November 2011

Dbdaze, I imagine they like to use the ones they are used to so as not to have too much guesswork about size. I think they are placed in the OR or recovery. I cannot imagine scooching an unconscious person into one of these! OH MY! What an image!!!

• Jerusha
    edited November 2011

Dbdaze, I imagine they like to use the ones they are used to so as not to have too much guesswork about size. I think they are placed in the OR or recovery. I cannot imagine scooching an unconscious person into one of these! OH MY! What an image!!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2011

Oh, my... This is a fun discussion! I don't know how things have changed since I had my stage 1 two years ago, but back then if you had hip flaps, you were getting the Veronique garment, and since I coined the term "the Dom" I can tell you exactly which style this is referred to (except in black, of course): http://www.lymphedemaproducts.com/products/design-veronique-zippered-body-girdle.html

Having worked in Physical Therapy in the hospital for over a decade, I can also tell you at least one of the reasons they would use this garment in the OR. It is user friendly!!! I have moved patients that are comatose, that are in a drug induced coma, that have passed out and needed to be lifted back to bed, rolled patients that have had spinal injuries, back surgeries, etc... or are just so out of it that they cannot help you. A two piece compression garment - even the one that is a solid piece on the lower leg (for the longer ones) but then is able to be opened up into two sides (front and back) is so, so beneficial when donning these garments! Just think of it this way - with the other garments that are a solid piece - you are tugging and pulling to get the thing on, inch by inch, one side to the other. Now imagine trying to do that with someone who is completely flaccid on an OR table with fresh incisions on their buttocks! I would not want to have that chore - I would have to be worrying about messing up those incisions as I pull that crazy garment up! Having the 2 piece dom is the best for the patient and the OR nurses... and you of course, until you are healed up enough where you can tug things up. With the 2 piece Vernonique, they can roll the patient half way over, put the dom under one side, roll the patient back to the other side and spread the back half of the Veronique out so that it is positioned correctly under the patient. Then they can lay the front half of the garment on the top of the patient and start hooking/zipping from the bottom up without ever having to tug/pull up and over those incisions and without having to keep rolling the patient side to side to side to inch the thing up like they would with a solid piece garment. Even with the ones that go below the knees - it is just a matter of getting the garment on the legs with the top parts undone, then rolling the patient to each side to put the back half of the garment in place, then continuing with the hook/zip method the rest of the way up. So, so easy in comparison to other types of compression garments! Especially since the patient is not able to help, and also is unable to tell if a solid piece garment would be catching on the incisions. Anyway, I know that is a really long explaination - but when I was reading I figured you guys always appreciate a detailed explaination!!! 

I am glad everyone is doing well. Betsy - I hope your new garment works out for you! I was one of those that actually liked the Veronique - although I did buy something else... can't think of the name of it... Oh, yeah, it was Spanx - once I was several weeks out. Having had experience with putting that on being completely alert and several weeks out - yes, there is no way I would be wanting to put that on a fresh post op patient!