Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• joasta7
    joasta7 Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2011

Hi Louis13 - Today I lost my 25 year old son - not sure - maybe epileptic seizure.  So heart broken but sure that there is one more angel in heaven.  I will be rescheduling my surgery to later on in the month as my son would want "the strongest woman he knows" to finish what was started.  I wish you and everyone else a speedy recovery and will keep you in my prayers.  

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2011

joasta - I just signed on and read this and am stunned speechless.  All I can think to say is how very sorry I am for your terrible loss.  My heart aches as your is breaking.  I cannot begin to imagine the pain.  I am so very sorry, and will keep you in my prayers.

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2011

Joasta..Horrifying...Just an unimaginable, unthinkable, unbearable loss. I don't know how you can breathe in and breathe out...how you can put one foot in front of the other. I hope your dear thoughts of him are a comfort to you. I hope someone is holding you close tonight.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

Joasta, I am so sorry, I don't even know what to say. What a terrible thing. I hope you are okay, or that you will be okay one day. Again, so sorry. :((

Louis, you too have a lot going on. Filed for divorce?? My goodness, I hope you are okay. 

Upcoming surgeries.  

Nov 30 - Louis13 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA. 

Dec 1 - Momma2four - stacked GAP with Dr. M and Dr. S assisting at St. Charles, NOLA.

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2011

Jocasta, my heart goes out to you. My own son is 25 yrs old and I can't even imagine the sadness and pain you are feeling right now. You are right to believe their a another precious angel in heaven. Our sons hold a special place in our hearts and I know yours is aching right now. (((( hugs....))))

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2011

Joasta-I am so sorry to hear your news. Here's sending you a great big lonnggg hug.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2011

Joasta-I am so sorry to hear your news. Here's sending you a great big lonnggg hug.

Kathryn did you have to have two stage 2 surgeries for nipple recon?  Getting a bit nervous if I need to have several surgeries. DId you go under anesthesia each time? 

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited November 2011

Joasta - My condolences. 

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011

Joasta, nothing I can say will help your pain, I am so deeply sorry. Please know that I am thinking of you and sending you a huge hug.

Michelle

• JustLaura
    edited November 2011
    Louis13 - I had nipple sparing on both sides and one was flat prior to my Stage 2. Dr D did a dermal graft to that one and that helped. I did get lipo'd on the top area right below my butt as well as the section above my belly button. This was my tough area too and it did help. I told him at my pre-op that was my biggest concern and he really seemed to hear that and took care of it. I think he will do anything you want - so if he doesn't mark something you want done don't hesitate to ask him!  Good luck I'll be thinking about you! 
  • besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2011

Joasta- I am so sorry. I don't know what to say.  Know that I am thinking of you and your family.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

Joasta - cyber hugs.  May the memories you have of your son provide you with comfort as you heal.  

• dbdaze
    edited November 2011

If you're scheduled for December surgery, you might like to check out this schedule of holiday events for New Orleans:  http://www.neworleansonline.com/holiday/    I understand that "Celebration in the Oaks" shouldn't be missed.  This would be a great "after-surgery" activity since you can take a car ride through the park to see all the holiday beauty and magic -- I think it's $10.  

Also Groupon has a $25 coupon for $12 at Fiorella's Cafe in the Quarter today: http://www.groupon.com/r/uu3560738  Enjoy either lunch or dinner at a nice discount!!  I've now managed to hoard enough Groupon restaurant coupons to make this trip very enjoyable and cheap. 

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Joasta, I am so very sorry and stunned too. please give yourself some time thinking about surgeries anything,  right now am sure you are in the absolute shock stage where it is all surreal, unreal and you are just going thru the motions of doing what you have to do right now on autopilot. it takes weeks before even a part of your los really sinks in, it is self protection, there is only so much abject pain you can take in ,  i know because i was there very recently myself. I lost my 16 year old Louis son( my screenname) 2 years ago now, two days after my birthday where he cooked for 8 people for me, twirled me around and dropping into tango dips, picked me up... we had no idea either what had happened, it was just surreal, unthinkable, impossible, incomprehensible for him to be so full of life one minute and then gone. still is.my daughter and i found him unconscious early in the morning, when we tried to wake him for her to say goodbye as i was driving her to the bus station  to start college. It was weeks before we learnt that he had an enlarged heart and it just misfired once and his heart stopped and that this is in fact the leading cause of natural death in young people, particularly athletic boys,,,it doesnt really help to know what, but when you lose someone suddenly with no warning, no ill health, it is doubly surreal. like it didnt happen, cant be. please dont hesitate to PM me at any stage if i can be of any help or just some words from someone who knows a little of how you will be feeling. or book recommendations  for now just use the shocked numb stage to get thru these first weeks, dont worry if/when people dont understand this,i remember i did not understand myself, but it is absolutely your self survival kicking to protect yourself. i joined a support group called compassionate friends( for parents and siblings who have lost a child) and i have never met a parent who does not talk about how they were in shock for months and not really feeling their loss. my heart and love to you Joasta

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011

I am going to pack today...chat even think clearly on what to pack. I don't need bras for after surgery am I correct?

Stressed!

• louis13
    edited November 2011

Joasta, am pming you my cell and email address in case you wont someone to talk to a little further down the track and Springtime, any other way of me sending contact details? am thinking that joasta is prob not going to be logging on here again anytime soon

• louis13
    edited November 2011

hi Laura, nice to hear from you, you seem to have had some similar issues to me all thru, like bellybuttons...so what exactly happens with a dermal graft? i mean does he add something ton top, or underneath or what? my nipple looks like he needs to go in and get in behind the nipple  and pop it out again and prop it! i cant imagine having something grafted on the top?? are you happy with results? 

• louis13
    edited November 2011

Kathryn, just read your post, thank you...ok, this is making more sense to me and like what i need to have done with my nipple, fill up the well!! . i would be very happy too if he could just match my other nipple. thank you for the lipo answers too, i guess i need to spend some time today studying my body in the mirror. 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2011

Joasta -- Deepest sympathies to you and your family. We met when I had Stage 1 in August at the Center. Hold the memories of your son close to you for warmth and comfort, and place your grief in God's hands. He will see you through. 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2011

Mamma2four - You don't need bras for after surgery.  The Center will give you what you need in terms of bras and compression garments and after surgery supplies (like sterile pads for under the compression garment). You will take all of those extra things home with you - they also give you a sort of gym type bag for the supplies.  Bring really comfortable loose fitting clothes.  Someone on this thread suggested bringing a thermometer for when you are back in the hotel after surgery  - that was something I was glad I had with me. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2011

Joasta, words seem so inadequate, but I am truly so so very sorry for your loss.  May you and your family find comfort in the love and support of one another and in the love and memories you have of your son.

• dbdaze
    edited November 2011

louis13:  it's very difficult to know how to respond when someone loses a child -- it's just so unnatural.  The loss is even worse due to their age and knowing how much more they had to experience.  I am so very sorry for YOUR loss too.  Time numbs the gripping pain but it still must seem like just yesterday he was hugging and celebrating with you.  It seems as if you were to be a godsend to Joasta - to have someone who can walk with her through her grieving -- someone who has so recently been in her shoes and can completely understand her emotional journey.  Hugs from me for reaching out to her.   

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Joasta... I had to read your posts three times, thinking I was misreading... I am so incredibly sorry for your loss... You are in my prayers. <<<<HUGS>>>>

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Rosemary.. as you know I have one flat nipple and one reconstructed nipple.. Of course I am concerned the reconstructed will be too high beam, but time will tell... AND I have emailed with Vinnie Meyers and he can make the flat one appear more projected with 3D tattoos... so after I am healed, if I need more or less on one side I will talk with Dr D, and then get tattoos.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

Louis13 - I don't have any contact info for Josta. If anybody else does, please PM Louis13.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2011

Joasta,

I am so sorry about your son. This sounds so empty, but just know that I care and I wanted to reach out to you.

Bettye

• JustLaura
    edited November 2011
    Louis13 - Both of my nipples had circular incisions all the way around them after my Stage 2. I'm guessing that one reason was to get the dermal graft under/behind the nipple and the other was to get them round again. Dr D had commented that they were somewhat oval shaped after all of the squishing and moving things around that he had done during Stage 1 and that he would make them round again in Stage 2. I have to admit I did not notice that they weren't round any more, even after he said that in my pre-op I really couldn't see it.
  • cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

Joasta, my deepest sympathies.  We are here for you.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Laura.. He does that to everyone.

• louis13
    edited November 2011

So Dr D had talked about redoing my nipples too, because areola large I guess. I don't think I am going to do this- for a couple of reasons . One reason is because i like my nipples , just want the diep side to match. And the other reason is since I do have one natural breast and I opted not to have prophylactic, I don't want to compromise sensation in my natural breast... Am also unsure about having a lift. Don't think I have a big problem with sagging and I like how my breasts fall. Anybody else not have a breast lift and nipple revision in stage 2?