Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

I knew when I asked the question that I probably should give it some thought before posting.  LOL

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Nordy... For stage one hip flaps they do not use the Veronique anymore, but use Flex Support? The Veronique is more comfortable... Both the Veronique they give for stage 2 and the Flex Support for stage 1, are one piece, but have full zip on the outside of the leg... after waking up in the Veronique after stage 2 with this above knee to breast, I requested the below the knee since i had knee lipo... but that one does have to be pulled up first and then the zipper begins about 8 inches up...

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2011

I went back to work full time, for the first time since my Stage 1 surgery, last week and I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts. But I did want to stop by thank all of you for being here to guide me, answer my questions and support me through this reconstruction process. This Thanksgiving, I am incredibly grateful to each of you and for the surgeons, nurses and staff in NOLA. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

amy..... Happy Thanksgiving to you too...

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2011

Betsy - it is interesting how things move and progress. Even with only one zipper - it is still a billion times easier to put on someone who is totally out than a garment that has none! That would constitute just leaving the zipper completely open while putting the other side on, then zipping the other side up. I for sure would prefer the dual sided zips if I was the one having to put them on in the OR!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Yes.. these have dual zippers, one for each leg

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

For those of you who are considering 3D tats, you might be interested in the email I got from Vinnie:

"There isn't much to the procedure... it's really kind of simple. There is very little discomfort during or after the tattooing. It is not anything like a regular tattoo as far as sensation is concerned. You should feel some vibration or at the most a little bit of a pinch, but not bad at all. No numbing is needed and actually it make it more difficult to tattoo when numbed and the results are not as good... so we rarely use any numbing. 
    Recovery is easy.... keep it moist with antibiotic ointment several times daily and keep it patched with a non-stick pads we provide both. No swimming or bath tubs (showers are fine) There are no other restrictions."

Very excited!!

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

YAY!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

I brought my Marena garments with me for my last surgery, and used them after I woke up and showered.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

I have a question about tats - and I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue. I had nipple sparing, but it's kind of weird - the color in my areola has faded and it all looks the same color as the rest of my breast. Has anyone ahd this happen or heard of it? Do you know tattoos would help?

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

I know that I will have Vinnie add some dimension to my spared nipple... so he will not just tattoo my blank side... He and I have spoken (emailed) briefly about this.

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2011

I like my flex support. Am I weird? I love that it zips on both sides. It doesn't hurt at all to put on. Although I'm feeling sort of sad that I didnt get knee lipo. Man, I guess I missed out...

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

I wore it in July/August/September and found it to be heavy and hot. Brandy... you got the Flex Support not the Veronique for stage II?

• BrandyB
    BrandyB Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2011

Yes, I got the above knee flexsupport. I only had the band thingy for stage 1, which rode up constantly and was basically worthless.

Also, I had my big nipple reveal tonight (i took off the bandage for the first time) and it looks great. I'm very very happy with my results, but still sad about losing my real breasts. My emotions are all over the place right now.

On the bright side, my tattoo appt is all set for Feb 14th and that will finally mark the end of my 2 year battle with this beast.

• kathrynla
    edited November 2011

Brandy - I really do think it takes time to come to term with losing our breasts. It's been 10 months since my stage 1 and on most days my breasts feel like my breasts (even though they don't feel the same as the originals.) I think that mourning the loss is very natural and part of the healing process.  It definitely gets easier with time - and the fact that the new breasts won't try to kill you is a big plus!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!  We have so much to be thankful for! I'm thankful for all the women on this board and I'm also thankful that I can wear normal bras!  Bought my first bras after Stage I and will probably buy fun, colored bras after stage II.  LOL 

Enjoy the yummy food and fellowship with family and friends.

My reconstructed breast doesn't feel the same but it looks the same.  I can't wait until this is all over; I'm going on a shopping spree.   

DBdaze- I've never wanted a tattoo in my life because I always thought it was so painful.  Let us know how it goes.  I can't imagine it not being sore. Do you get 3D tattoos even if you have a nipple reconstruction? 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving, all. Hoping for blessings for each and every one of you  on this day.

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Enjoy this day... I am thankful for family, friends, cyber-friends (you all) and Dr DellaCroce and staff.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2011

I had a tattoo done on my previous unilateral DIEP and it didn't hurt at all.  It was actually sort of fun.  I am conservative - would never under usual circumstances find myself in a tattoo parlor but for the reconstructed nipple I did just that. Not actually taking a walk on the wild side - but sort of.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

Kathryn, Mine lightened up too and yes, the Tats fix all that. I was not sure why, and a friend told me lack of Estrogen? Not sure... But whatever the cause, Tats bring them back. Never fear...

Happy Thanksgiving! Gratitude is the key to a happy life!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-taran/thanksgiving-happiness_b_1103501.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2011

Hi all!  Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope everyone had a good day.  Despite what we all have been through, there is so much to be thankful for. ("Any day above ground is a good one").

I just wanted to mention to all of the December ladies that this month's issue of Southern Living  (yes I am a Southern Girl, y'all, though not by birth) has a great article called "Crescent City Christmas".  Beautiful pics and great ideas about things to do and see in NOLA during the holiday season.  There is a tour of privately-owned historic homes in the Garden District on the weekend we arrive, so I am hoping to do that, and to check out some of the decorations around town, including Celebration in the Oaks at City Park.  Not excited about more surgery, but getting excited to visit NOLA during Christmas time.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Hello Ladies...umm, i think i am next..Yikes...if ever there was a case of how having a lot going on in your life stops you from thinking about your surgery, for me it would be right now!. this week i officially hired a divorce lawyer and basically i have been awol on here cos have been dealing with the financial crisis that has suddenly been brought down on us.... Am ok, am still peddling- literally. after few weeks of hell over this chaos,  have got the lawyer, sorted my daughters tuition fees and found the necessary finances to get us thru this time - and then i joined the human race again the day before thanksgiving, madly shopping cooking cleaning! I had a great thanksgiving with my kids, despite all, and yesterday i went on a 4.5 hour bike ride from greenpoint over williamsburg bridge all the way to the Met and back..guess i had some steam to wear off! am very pleased with myself, only been on a bike a handful of times in the last 40 years and would have NEVER EVER imagined me riding in manhattan traffic- especially on Louis brutal one speed boy bike which is really hard work. I rode past the imaging center where i was diagnosed in March and thought, you know, I am doing ok..

so, I have been taking my arnica, am feeling pretty fit, lost some weight, am def worried about some necrosis but what will be will be and am sure Dr D will have a plan....and i am taking my yoga pants...anything else i should be doing or remembering????  i decided to NOT buy Marena etc until after i have surgery...hope that is ok, and am wondering if i should also get some arnica cream for after?? My 23 year old prince of a son will be coming with me, going to be a bit weird in terms of privacy- but am looking forward to us having time to chill together since he just works all the time at his firm and I rarely see him....anyway, i hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving, and i am giving divorce proceedings second rate status now and making me number one until i get thru this next week! rosemary

• louis13
    edited November 2011

I have a nipple question...did anyone have nipple sparing and find that their nipple kind of sits flat now? ie for me it kind of sits recessed into areola...i am hoping that Dr D can make it more like my natural nipple on non-diep side which is not collapsed inwards

• louis13
    edited November 2011

I have a nipple question...did anyone have nipple sparing and find that their nipple kind of sits flat now? ie for me it kind of sits recessed into areola...i am hoping that Dr D can make it more like my natural nipple on non-diep side which is not collapsed inwards

• louis13
    edited November 2011

and ladies can i ask a few lipo questions for those on the other side if i may...

1/anybody get the area on the top of the back of your legs under your butt lippoed? am just wondering if it is possible to get a bit more definition back there, you know where your legs end and your butt begins.....

2/ does lipoeing (sp?)  the waist and the section above the belly button work well? i hope so,  this is my BIG area of concern, basically my trunk, looking pretty boxy

3/ and back liposuction...anybody have upper back, more like the shoulders area i guess lipoed?  thanks!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011

Hi all...i have been MIA lately...going nutty trying to get everything done before my surgery.  That includes xmas decor, tree, shopping (done!!) and tomorrow maybe wrapping after i pack for NOLA.  I am excited and nervous at the same time.  excited to actually have a boob again but nervous about how my body is going to change.  sigh..

so i will be flying in to NOLA on 11/29, spending the day at the center for preop stuff with 7am surgery on 12/1.  My mother will be with me while i am in the hospital and then my husband flies in on to releive her when i am released.  going to miss my 4 babies for that long...although they  have been little crappers lately!

Good to hear you all are doing well from all the posts. 

Hugs,

Michelle

• louis13
    edited November 2011

hi Michelle...we will be flying into new orleans on the 29th as well and spending the day at the center for pre-op before my surgery on the 29th...i have very very short dark hair( post chemo, but looks deliberate now) and will be with my 6'3' son, who looks exactly like roger federer.. easy peasey to spot us in the waiting room

Joasta, will put my name on the door...ie Rosemary and fight like a girl( love your screenname) , i am at the center on the 5th, will try to find you after my post- op... 

• kathrynla
    edited November 2011

Hi Louis. Sounds like you've been going through a lot but are coming out the other side!  And good idea not to buy the Marena since you won't know what your measurements are. I measured 2 weeks post surgery and actually needed a smaller size by the time it got here.

As for nipples - I had the same issue with the sort of well around the nipple. Dr S filled it in with tissue (I don't think it was fat).  It definitely fixed the prolbem for awhile but some of it reabsorbed. So when I went back for Stage 2b he added some more in and now (as I say) the headlighs are always on. My nipples were like that before so I am happy with it that way.  Since you have one that you are matching, that should help.

As for you lipo questions:

1. Yes. They can do it under the butt.  I had it done along with the outer hips.

2. Yes. I was much boxier before stage 2...now I have more of a wasitline than I've ever had.

3. Yes. I got lipo on my back - maybe not as high up as you are mentioning...but don't hesitate to ask. They'll do whatever you want if they think you'll get a good result.  

Good luck!

:)

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011

Loius13, I will look for you. I have long dark blond/light brown hair....will be with my mom who is short and sassy with very dark hair. Can't wait to see you.