Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited November 2011

The best of luck and healing vibes to all of you having surgery this week.  Maybe I can meet you Monday when I come in for pre op testing.

Brandy-  Thanks for the tip.  I think I'll visit Target.  (c:

BTW  www.jazzandheritage.org

12/10 the Treme Creole Gumbo Fest and the Jazz and Heritage Holiday Bazaar are happening.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

Deborah - give me a call anytime. I'm happy to talk over your fears with you...although I think the women on this board do a great job too! But sometimes it's nice to hear a voice.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2011

Heading into center shortly...anybody there??? Adrienne got your message will try and find you Monday . Michelle willmlook for you today , Rosemary

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2011

Rosemary...we r out shopping on canal. Heading to dragos for early diner. Staying at the clarion on on st . Charles tonight. Center tomorrow for tests

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2011

Hi Onehardrock, DJ and Ladies,

Onehardrock, I have read so many stories from ladies on these boards who finally end up at NOLA. I would definitely give them a call, as they are the gold standard of care in my opinion. DJ, I nested before my surgery--cleaned all kinds of cabinets, drawers, etc. and I also bought a bunch of cheap black loungewear from Old Navy that I am still wearing. It was so comfy in the hospital. I think yoga pants might be tight and you might want something with a little room as the surgical pads and the binder take up a lot of room. Momma2four and Louis13 good luck! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

We tipped the drivers! Glenn would never take it, except one time my husband told him to take his daughter, Belinda (I think) out to lunch. I think he took it that time. :)

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2011

Ok ladies!  Wishing you the best as you head into your pre-ops and surgeries!  And looking forward to hearing from you when you come to!  I am officialy entering panic mode.  Major panic set in yesterday as I realize that I am up to bat in 2 weeks!  A couple of questions for the veterans . . .

I know that people had talked about increasing something or other in their diet or supplements as they came closer to surgery.  Was it Vitamin C? I will also be starting the arnica a few days ahead of time.

Also, anyone who has already had stage 2 or 2b a while ago - I am now now 11 weeks out from my stage 2 lipo and some days feel I have a bit more ab swelling than others.  I often wear some type of compression if I am taking a walk, since that extra support seems to help my back as well, and occasionally wear it at other times, but today I put on the dom and am wearing it all day, to see if it helps, since yesterday I felt I had a bit more swelling than ususal.  I know it can always depend on what I eat, etc, but have any of you found you have gone back to wearing compression this far out?  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2011

Kaitsmom - You're supposed to take double multi-vitamins starting a month out. Is this what u mean?

Louis13 - Good luck tomorrow!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2011

Joasta - Just read your post. I am so, so sorry for your terrible loss...

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2011

Ok, will double up on the multis . . .

• louis13
    edited November 2011

Heading into center shortly...anybody there??? Adrienne got your message will try and find you Monday . Michelle willmlook for you today , Rosemary

• louis13
    edited November 2011

• louis13
    edited November 2011

Ok am just back at montelione after center and quick bite to eat (salad!) . Been moved to 6am so off to bed very tired. No necrosis . Just scar tissue from mastectomy and still some edema. Night all thanks for well wishes , Michelle are u staying at homewood after or where?

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2011

Brandy... I am so sorry I missed seeing your footie pjs...

The yoga pants I buy from Target are not traditional yoga pants... They are more of a hybrid between yoga and sweat pant.. Gilligan and O'Malley... Quite loose and soft, with a soft wide band. I wore the shorts version this summer when I was in compression for 9 weeks.

Rosemary... I am thinking of you and hope to hear from you when you re-emerge... Good Luck!! Have Leroy call me.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2011

Thanks Brandy and bdavis for the info on comfy pj's and yoga/sweat pants.  I'm just peacefully cruising along like there's no tomorrow -- I don't get anxious about my surgeries but there are definitely things that need to be done before I go.  Probably a good idea to make a list tomorrow and start checking them off!

Louis13 -- thinking of you as you head to surgery tomorrow.  I always got the early morning slot -- actually preferred that to sitting around waiting.  

Momma2Four: Is the French Quarter decked out for Chrismas?  

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited November 2011

Louis 13 and Momma4Four - thinking good thoughts for the both of you (tomorrow and Thurs!)

• onehardrock
    onehardrock Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2011

wow again!  thanks to all of you for jumping in with so many replies.  since i'm still learning how to navigate this site, i didn't realize until now that anyone had responded here.  

to answer some questions, i live in portland, OR.  i've heard that my doc and his partner are the only ones around doing the DIEP flap; unless i went down to san fran.  i haven't had any 2nd opinion but plan to contact NOLA tomorrow to see what i can find out.   i can't imagine how you all have done it though!  i had no idea there was this whole world happening out here.  i'm nervous about letting go of my already scheduled surgery for this month but it sounds like i may just need to figure out the expenses because in the bigger picutre, it doesn't make sense to keep heading down the wrong road.  

good luck to those of you about to get surgery, i'm sorry for your loss joasta, and thanks to all for the invaluable info.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2011

Joasta, I was just catching up and read your post.  I am so sorry.  Sometimes I wonder how we go on after these losses and I guess it's because we know that our loved ones would want us to carry on and to get to a point where we can feel joy again.  A friend was murdered on Christmas Eve a year ago, and I was just talking to his sister the other night, and she was telling me that Thanksgiving was so very difficult and how the family is dreading Christmas.  Somehow it lessens as time passes, as we somehow manage to accept it and move forward.  I lost both of my parents at very young ages, and I still miss them terribly but I can look forward to seeing them again one day...that's what I hold onto.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2011

Louie13:  You are probably getting up to go to the Center soon.  I also had the early morning surgery.  By the time I wake up, you'll be done!   

Momma2four: Glad you are enjoying some time in New Orleans before surgery.  I can't wait to go back to Dragos.  I went there after surgery and wasn't able to eat much but I'm looking forward to eating their oysters.

Best wishes to both of you for your surgeries.

DIEP surgery:  I still can't do sit ups.  I'm 12 weeks post op.  Anyone with the same probalem? I'm an exerholic and worried that I can't do sit ups yet.  My lower back also hurts in the morning; never had this problem before.   

I had my first colonoscopy today.  Not fun drinking all that prep.  The procedure was fine; woke up and everything was done.   

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

so... you ladies are right... The Marena is the BEST compression garment. I hardly knw I am wearing it.

In addition to the long road I have had this past year, I found out yesterday that a  freckle (mole) Dr D removed from the edge of  my breast, is atypical... I guess I should be glad I was proactive and asked for it to come off... I never noticed it before and actually thought (when I was looking) that it was a drain scar... so I asked him to take it off... now Laura says I need to see my dermatologist and look for more, just to be safe... Oddly, I had the dermotologist photograph all my freckles about 5 years ago, just as a precaution... I'd hate to think where I'd be if I didn't take my health seriously, as I found this freckle and my breast cancer... Hmm... maybe I should have gone into medicine.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2011

onehardrock- If you do get to the point with NOLA where you have decided you want to go ahead with surgery and are discussing costs (the out of pocket cost will depend on your insurance) be upfront with them if  the amount is a hardship.  There are financial forms that you can fill out if that is the case.

Surfagrl- I had a previous diep and can't remember exactly how long it took me to be able to do situps again (I think more than 3 months) but I did gain the strength back -and probably more since I was working out more.  It will happen.   I would talk to the Center about what you can do to build up strength and how they recommend you go about it.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

Surfagirl, my physical therapist worked with me on regaining my core strength.  Since that area is all numb it's like my body forgot how to do them!  The first time she had me do a simple movement using my lower abs, it took about 10 minutes for me to get it right.  I was stunned!  She told me I had to re-learn the movements and I have.  Something about neuroplasticity: the brain needed to learn a new pathway for the movement.  She told me if I'd been just trying to do sit ups on my own I'd probably do them wrong because I'd be using the wrong outer muscles and not utilize the inner muscles.  I'm still doing the prescribed exercises.  The scar tissue from the DIEP incision can also cause lower back strain (I can't quite explain, but my PT explained to me), so getting that scar tissue released is helpful.

Betsy, I just went to my derm yesterday.  I'd been going to her to treat my acne for a few years and I hadn't had a full body check.  I went ahead and scheduled a check.  She found two dark freckles and took a biopsy for each.  I should know in a week.  The upside is that my acne hasn't been an issue due to chemo!

• onehardrock
    onehardrock Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2011

thanks for the support and input.  i'm going to fill out the paperwork for NOLA on line today.  i'll let you all know how it goes.  so, so much helpful info here...

• bdavis
    edited November 2011

Rosemary is out of surgery.. sore but trying to stay still.. more later

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited November 2011

SurfaGirl - I'm with Cider, are you going to Physical Therapy? If not I would highly recommend you go to a few sessions with a oncological therapist.  I went after my Stage 1 and again after my Stage 2 and it was so helpful. She did a lot of tissue massage - helps to keep everything squishy and nice and eliminate any hard areas. Also keeps that scar loose and removes that 'cord' feeling.  My PT also gave me several exercises to do at first to start to get those stomach muscles back. 1 - a plank on your elbows and knees to start (don't go straight to a real plank - you won't be able to do it). 2 - laying on your stomach (be careful) and slowly raising one leg at a time and holding them for a few seconds. These will help build up that core again so you can do all of the sit-ups that you want!

Betsy - I totally agree! You should have gone into medicine. It isn't too late you know! 

• louis13
    edited December 2011

So have found if I stay still , am fine, don't hurt too much. Veer very drowsy from drugs, I alway have big reaction. Have not seen dr D or myself yet! Am a complete failure wringing on thus iPad with one free finger so am going to make you work reading any posts? Good luck Michelle !

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

ROSEMARY... you sound drugged...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Amy, some women here are taking something called Arnica to help decrease bruising from lipo. I never tried it personally as it was not yet mentioned here when I was having surgeries! I mean, what could it hurt?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnica 

Also, about compression, I never wore it one more day than I had to, I could not wait to get out of those things. I have to say, The Marena is so much better, but I would opt to go without it as soon as I was "allowed". But do what feels right to you!

ROSEMARY< LOL LOL LOL...... giggles to the MAX!!

Today's and upcoming surgeries below... 

Nov 30 - Louis13 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA. 

Dec 1 - Momma2four - stacked GAP with Dr. M and Dr. S assisting at St. Charles, NOLA.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

Momma2four--good luck tomorrow!  I'll be sending all sorts of good energy to you and Dr. Massey. You're in the best of hands!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

MICHELLE... almost time...

ROSEMARY... say hi to Holly... she is very sweet. Enjoy a restful (motionless) day tomorrow... and eat up chef's yummy food.