Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2011

I know I am a pushover.but also can't write on this either. Decided I hate touch sensitive screens, like keyboards

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

I know what you mean... but its a fun toy anyway.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Thank you for all the well wishes. I am so excited and nervous. Rosemary come see me on friday!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Woohoo, Michelle!  I'm excited and nervous for you!  You'll do well.

Rosemary, you are making me work hard, lol.  I'm getting an ipad before I leave.  I'm sure I will miss the keyboard. Then I will make you work hard to read my posts!

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

Mamma2four: No need to be nervous -- you're in the best of hands!  Let us hear from you as soon as you're able -- gotta luv those first drugged messages! lol  

Louis13: Here's to a quick recovery!   

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited December 2011

As to the Arnica, I always figure that if something is potent enough to have a therapeutic effect, it's probably strong enough to cause side effects. The homeopathic form of Arnica is so dilute that it is unlikely to cause side effects, -- but at the same time, there is no evidence showing that it actually has any effect on bruising, etc. (as far as I know). Its also worth noting that health food store type supplements/herbal medicinals have been studied and found to be dramatically different from one batch to the next of same brand, and different from brand to brand in terms of amounts of active substance as well as other stuff thrown in that is not on the label. There are no controls on these type of medications so you really don't know exactly what you are taking. Even in the dilute homeopathic form, Arnica can sometimes be a GI irritant and cause stomach pain and diarrhea, as well as some other side effects. I took a few doses of Arnica the day before my Stage 2 and had the worst belly ache I've ever had! I was really worried that I'd be going into surgery with a very upset stomach, but fortunately it went away by the next day. If you are going to take Arnica, I'd suggest trying it out ahead of time! The herbal form, such as in some topicals -- as opposed to the homeopathic form -- is quite toxic and if ingested can cause serious GI problems, heart irregularities and death! Herbal remedies have their place but HERB does not necessarily equal SAFE.

Don't mean to rant...

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited December 2011

As to the Arnica, I always figure that if something is potent enough to have a therapeutic effect, it's probably strong enough to cause side effects. The homeopathic form of Arnica is so dilute that it is unlikely to cause side effects, -- but at the same time, there is no evidence showing that it actually has any effect on bruising, etc. (as far as I know). Its also worth noting that health food store type supplements/herbal medicinals have been studied and found to be dramatically different from one batch to the next of same brand, and different from brand to brand in terms of amounts of active substance as well as other stuff thrown in that is not on the label. There are no controls on these type of medications so you really don't know exactly what you are taking. Even in the dilute homeopathic form, Arnica can sometimes be a GI irritant and cause stomach pain and diarrhea, as well as some other side effects. I took a few doses of Arnica the day before my Stage 2 and had the worst belly ache I've ever had! I was really worried that I'd be going into surgery with a very upset stomach, but fortunately it went away by the next day. If you are going to take Arnica, I'd suggest trying it out ahead of time! The herbal form, such as in some topicals -- as opposed to the homeopathic form -- is quite toxic and if ingested can cause serious GI problems, heart irregularities and death! Herbal remedies have their place but HERB does not necessarily equal SAFE.

Don't mean to rant...

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2011

HI Ladies,  I am considering DIEP reconstruction sometime in the spring w/ Dr. Massey.  I have been to a consultation w/ her and it was all very positive. I just have acouple of questions regarding the pre-op node mapping, pet scan and any other tests that need to be done before surgery....are all of these tests done in NOLA or are we required to have them done before we leave for NOLA?

Second question concerns insurance/self payment. Before you had your surgery, did they tell you what your out of pocket expence would be?  I'd hate to come through all of this with a second mortage on the house!

Any other bits and pieces of info you can share would be very much appreciated! 

Thanks,  katiejane

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2011

Rosemary - I hope that you're resting well and that you're happy with how Dr. D evened things out!

Momma2four - Thinking of you tomorrow, knowing that you'll be getting great care at the Center.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Katie Jane... AS far as some pre-op tests, chest xray, blood work... that is done 3 weeks or so ahead of time... CT scan etc in done in NOLA.

And yes, they will tell you what you owe beforehand... Thank goodness.

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2011

KatieJane - I did not have a pre-op node mapping done prior to my DMX and DIEP with Dr Lagarde and Dr Dellacroce in NOLA, even though I did have 2 nodes removed. However this may be something that Dr M does that the others don't do yet as I know she is doing a lot of research on nodes in an effort to understand lymphadema better. So I can't tell you about that one. 

I also did not have a PET scan as this is something your oncologist would probably do not your surgeon. My oncologist would not recommend one for me - so I did not have this either.

I did have the pre-op testing as Betsy mentioned (chest xray, EKG,blood work, and urine analysis) prior to leaving home for surgery and the CT Scan in NOLA the day before my Stage 1 DIEP.

Will you be at the Center for your surgery or somewhere else (I know that Dr M works out of a couple of different hospitals). If it is NOLA then you should get with Vicky (just call the Center's number and ask for Vicky) and get her your med insurance info and she will get back with you on your exact cost for the surgeon's for the surgery. You need to get the cost for the hospital and anesthesologists from the hospital itself (and they are in network more often than the surgeons). If it is not NOLA I bet if you called whatever hospital/Center it is that they could help you with this. You should definitely know your costs long before you arrive.

Momma2four - TODAY IS YOUR DAY!! I hope you are waking up on the other side in that awesome bed with a pain ball and tons of nice fluffy pillows around you!! Please keep us posted if/when you can.  

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Mamma2four - You are in wonderful hands!  You will be getting wonderful care at the Center. 

Rosemary- Glad that you are on the other side.  Rest up!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited December 2011

Healing vibes to the drugged Rosemary!

Michelle- Peace and healing today.

I'm on deck, YIKES!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Am up and in chair for breakfast and boy did that hurt. Hurts more than diep getting up cos it is all over from the lipo. Or at least for me all over torso and then area between butt and top of legs. But this acute pain( when you move) only lasts few days, right???!!! Nurses so wonderful here, they make everything tolerable. Dr d swung by last and said all good and he is away now for few days cos taking " his gal" on romantic few days and leaving in kids with grandparents. What a smart man! Works hard but takes the time to nurture his marriage as well!!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Am up and in chair for breakfast and boy did that hurt. Hurts more than diep getting up cos it is all over from the lipo. Or at least for me all over torso and then area between butt and top of legs. But this acute pain( when you move) only lasts few days, right???!!! Nurses so wonderful here, they make everything tolerable. Dr d swung by last and said all good and he is away now for few days cos taking " his gal" on romantic few days and leaving in kids with grandparents. What a smart man! Works hard but takes the time to nurture his marriage as well!!

• JustLaura
    edited December 2011

So glad to hear you are up and about Rosemary. That pain/tenderness from the lipo does get a little bit better every day - I think I used pain meds for just a few days then switched to ibu which was sufficient. Are you heading to the hotel today? I hope that all is well and you were happy with your Stage 2 results!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Thanks laura , am off pump and onto loritab. Waiting for free nurse to have shower, full house here. Thinking going to stay another night if insrqnce qpproves even tho prob up for paying night at homewood. Def will be there tomorrow though. There was a dilemma with my stage 2- in order to match breasts would need to reduce natural breast and relocate nipple. Since I opted to keep non cancer breast and not do prophylactic and keep sensation on one side, didn't make sense to me to have more surgery on it and potentially lose that...so no lift or surgical contouring for me, just fixed nipple so not recessed anymore and as much fat as he could get in to make breasts closer in size and the plan is to see if that will suffice- so the decision was either have better looking breasts or not be symmetrical and not risk losing more sensation. Dr d thinks that I should give it a year and see what happens when that settles cos the scar tissue from mastectomy is breaking down and as it does that breast will regain it's former contour underneath and match the other one. Also he did not revise ab scar since healing well and he just took off the small amout of buckling at either end(actually used that for dermal graft for nipple. He said I am completely efficient recycled patient, every bit of fat and skin reused, very 'green' as he put it. And he did not revise mastectomy scar either cos he said well on the way to breaking down and more surgery going to start that over again. So really I got off easy!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Adrienne I am in room 214 until I check out tomorrow so come by if u can!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Oops I meant Michelle , will try and find u on Monday Adrienne !

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2011

Rosemary -  I hope it works out for you to spend the night at the center tonight. If Katie made your reservation at Homewood, she may be able to cancel it on short notice. Maybe you can give her a call. I hope that your enjoying your time with your son!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Rosemary - Dr D is  riot. I love that you are "green"! I guess we all are to some degree! Also, I strongly support staying an extra night. I just slept easier (if that was possible) having the nurses there if needed.

Funny thing about lipo - I think there really are a variety of response. I felt achy but no realy pain. Others, like you feel it is excruciating.  I'm not sure if it's the amount or just our own pain tolerance...but like JustLaura said, I'm guessing in a few days you'll be able to get off the hard stuff and take tylenol or the like.  

• JustLaura
    edited December 2011

Rosemary - I bet that was a very hard decision to make to leave the one breast alone, but it sounds like the absolute right one for you. Dr D definitely knows what he is doing too so it sounds like you have a good plan - giving it a year is a great idea. We are all so used to looking at our breasts with a critical eye during all of this that at some point we just need to take some time away from that and give our bodies time to adjust and heal from all the surgeries.

For my Stage 1 I ended up staying an extra night, Katie was able to cancel that 1st night at Homewood without any problem. I hope she is able to do the same for you. 

Also way to go with that long post from the iPad!!  

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2011

Laura,  I will be at NOLA, at the Center.  I'm a ways out from surgery-my FMLA is basicly gone until 4/16/12. My mom passed away in Sept. of undiagnoised breast ca that had mets. to the liver by the time it was dx'd so I pretty much used all of my FMLA this summer/fall. I don't think my insurance is going to agree to cover any of this since it's an HMO but we will see. Dr. M says not to worry about the financial part of it, that we will make it all work but it just really scares me.  Good to know that I will have a number before I commit. 

And thanks for the info. on the pre-op tests. I guess as I get closer to April, Dr. M will let me know what needs to be done.   Katiejane

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies, Haven't been on in a while but have been trying to keep up with my reading..I have some questions and figured I would go to the source!

I had my stage 1 back in May, then my chemo which I finished the end of Sept ,and now I'm doing radiation, will be done mid Dec.  I contacted NOLA today to find out if and when I can schedule my stage 2.  I was told 3 months after rads..so I'm looking at end of March.  I need to have nipple on cancer side and some reshaping of that breast.  I will be also hoping to have some lipo on my upper (puffy) stomach. 

My questions are....how long will I need to be in NOLA?  I assume it is less than stage 1? 

also how long were you at SCSH and at other hotel?

last...I promise....how long after stage 2 b4 tatoo??

Thanks for any info...Dawn

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Am staying the night here thank you everyone and thank goodness and yes had already asked Katie to do her magic...hope it worked! Laura, guess we are all dealing with diff scenarios that we are juggling to work around, mine is about not messing with my natural breast anymore otherwise no point inmhaving kept it... - Kathryn, I think lipo pain severity also depends on where you have it too... I was told back is worst..as for me, amslowly shuffling around the corridors without much pain at all now, once I get a good shuffle roll going... it is really only sitting down and getting up etc that remains excruciating

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Dawn... For stage 2 I flew in on Sunday, had surgery Monday and could have left Thursday pm.. but stayed til Friday due to airfare...I was in the hospital 2 nights (Mon/Tues) and hotel other nights....They told me 3 months to get tattoos.

Rosemary... You are sounding much better... Here I am at 2.5 weeks and just got back from a party in NYC... you will heal quickly.. fear not.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited December 2011

Cider 8, Besa, and Laura:  Thank you for sharing your experience.  How do you go about finding a physical therapist?  Do you have to be referred to someone?  As far as the massage person, someone talked about myofacial massage?  I found a name of someone who does it here but haven't given her a call yet.  I know I should and maybe she can help with my lower back.

Springtime:  I'm with you.  Can't wear the DOM longer than prescribed.  Not sure about stage 2 but not planning to wear the nipple guard longer than I need to.  

Seems like the reconstructed nipple goes flat with time.  Trying not to have a Stage 2a so what methods have worked? Can you wear any type of clothing for Stage 2?  I'm envisioning a nipple guard sticking out on one foob and looking kind of weird?  What did you all do and what kind of clothes did you wear?

Those who took Arnica, where do you get it?  I'll be in New Orleans in 4.5 weeks!  Yah! 

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2011

You can get arnica at most drugstores, health food stores,GNC's. I have found it at Rite Aid and Kinney Drug in the pain relief section.

• JustLaura
    edited December 2011

Dsnydawn - similar to Betsy I flew into NOLA on Saturday for my Stage 2 (a day early so we could have some fun) I didn't have to be there until Sunday. Pre-op first thing Monday, surgery Monday afternoon. Stayed in hospital until Tuesday. Post-op on Wed (they usually only schedule a post-op at your request). Fly home Thurs.

SurfaGrl - In terms of what is done after DIEP the PT and massage therapist are the same person. I found my therapist through a referral from a friend. It is called Oncologoy Rehab - look for one with 'oncology' in the name, or ask if they work on cancer patients, or maybe ask your oncologist for a suggestion? The practice of the PT I go to is 75% DIEP (not NOLA patients but just DIEP) patients - so she is very familiar with the surgeries. She does the myofacial massage too if needed. It is also covered 100% by my not so good med insurance - so you never know.

I, too, hate that compression garment and at 6 weeks I stopped. However, I went to PT a few days later and she tells me I have fluid buildup in my stomach (my trouble zone with this surgery) and that I should keep wearing it at least a few hours a day and while I exercise. So I'm back in it - and funny thing is? It feels good! After wanting to get out of it for so long I was surprised to feel comfort in it again. However the hardest part for me was sleeping in the darn thing and I'm not doing that. But I do feel 'all tucked in' or something with it on (for a little while). 

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Doing much better today. I ended up having to have a blood trans , boo hoo.

Rosemary, I am still hooked up to everything until at least noon they tell me. You are more then welcome to stop by, rm 215