Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

iamc--- I had the hard lump below the incision that Betsy had and I also had an umbilical hernia repaired with plication of the lower ab muscles also. And, have the same hard poofy area below the incision and I am 12 days out. If you find out anything from celeste about that bump, let me know!

I have a question if any of you have had leg nerve pain after lipo? I am going to call in tomorrow since it is getting worse and not better. I have shooting pains down the side of my calf that burn like fire! Best I can tell from research, that is nerve type paiin. I just hope it is temporary. There is still a small area of swelling right near there, but it is below the knees, which is where the lipo was, so not sure why swelling and pain would be below that.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

MAybe its an infection? Is it warm?

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2011

@KBodie yes, I will def let you know what I find out!

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Not warm and not red. Just a little puddle of swelling in the area of where these pains are. Used to be during the night in bed. Now happening when I step up into vehicles, point the toe, etc. Kinda like a leg cramp but instead of cramp, like someone has laid a hot curling iron on your leg.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Ouch... I would call as you said... I do not have that.. Occassionally I have a shooting pain, but I am assuming that is nerve regeneration... nothing that lasts.

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Nerve regen in your legs? Or in your breasts? It is shooting and doesn't last, just comes and goes, leaves a lingering tenderness but the burning is brief. I never considered nerve regen would be occurring in lipo areas...

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

After lipo I was numb in a lot of areas... as feeling came back, I had some shooting pain, but it has mostly passed. It was in the first 3 weeks or so. It did not extend to areas where I didn't have lipo though.. I may have had shooting pain in my lower butt or thighs, not my calfs.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2011

happy holidays ladies! just back from upstate NY for christmas and wanted to wish everyone an uneventful healing and recovery! i am i guess 4 weeks out tomorrow? therabouts anyway and have to admit have been cheating a bit on the marena over christmas, taking a few nights off after eting too much....also took off nipple guard few days early, but mine is not a reconstructed nipple, rather an 'original' that needed some help cos it had gone flat..all seems pretty ok, though I am definitely more bloated in upper abdomen now than i was post-op - hard to tell if that is from eating or what, but weight is the same so go figure...from reading here it does seem that others have experienced at about 3-4 weeks post lipo some late stage bloating or swelling developing? tamoxifen is giving me hot flashes and some heart palptiations so I guess i wasnt post menapausal and have a bit to go there still too..sigh

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited December 2011

anyone else had shooting pains after lipo?  getting nervous, will be in NOLA in less than a week! was planning to lipo wherever doc felt was needed but if there is shooting pain, I may change my mind.

DJ and Ref:  I'll have my my name (Surfagrl) on my door.  I know they'll probably make me walk the halls so I'll look for you all.  Aloha, Lori 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Kbodie- I don't have any shooting pains in areas that were lipoed.  I don't even have any numbness in the lipoed area.  I have felt nerve regeneration in my reconstructed breast (DIEP side).  What I felt was very fleeting and not very painful - no burning. What I've experienced, as bdavis describes, is a brief shooting pain or also for me a brief mild electric kind of shock.  Also there isn't any kind of swellling  that comes with nerve regeneration.   I would  call the Center. (If it is bad I would even call tonight.)  No good sitting here guessing.   Tell us what they say. 

• louis13
    edited December 2011

and am wondering did anybody get any guidelines from the docs about how much/when loving attention for our breasts and nipples is safe post stage 2? 

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

Good evening ladies - I have read so much I seem to forget. Did any of you but the comfy DOM to take with you to NOLA or just wear the DOM they gave you until 2 weeks and then switched?

I am getting a little anxious as my PS here was thinking maybe I should wait longer to do the BMX & reconstruction since I am only 3 months out from an ablation of my liver metastasis (from a rare non-bc cancer). But my cancer docs want me to do the BMX & recon sooner. I am set on doing the recon but have those "in the back of my head" thoughts what if it comes back and I have had this monster surgery?

Wish I had a crystal ball. 

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

Meant to say "buy" not "but" in last post, sorry.

Other question, what was involved with the CTA on the pre-op day?  

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2011

Surfa - I'll put my "ref" on my door and I'll look for you too. Sending you a PM.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Surfa... my shooting electric-ish feeling is very fleeting and not very painful... i notice it, but its fine.. and haven't had any in a couple of weeks I think... so don't let that deter you. As a matter of fact, I found it all very doable and when I go back for more revisions, I won't hesitate to get more if I am going under anyway.

Need2new.. I would wait to buy the marena.. you wouldn't know what size to get and you can't wear it with drains anyway. And with a GAP flap, you will have drains for weeks...I wore the flex support for that whole time period...

And CTA?? You mean the scan?? It was easy.. they inject a dye in you and you feel super hot and feel like you are peeing but you're not.. It is not pleasant but its short lived.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

I thought the people here would especially appreciate today's XKCD comic:

http://xkcd.com/996/

• louis13
    edited December 2011

very funny jeskachi, even look like nola beads

• louis13
    edited December 2011

ok, it is official. just did measurements and am markedly thicker around waist and upper abdomen than post-op when measuring for marena. hips and legs exactly same, but i had very little lipo done there, so that is curious. maybe we contract after lipo, swell and then hopefully contract again....?? either that or i am always going to gain in those particular areas lol

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Okay. Called in finally about the burning pain in my leg. Stacy and Laura said to go immediately to the ER. Off I go. Hopefully being cautious and it's nothing. I had someone to watch my kids for the first time since I've been home. Didn't think it was so I could go to the ER. Thought it was so I could sit and watch True Blood. Waiting for husband to come home from work. She does not want me to drive myself.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

OMG... so sorry... But better safe than sorry... You can't catch a break here.

• besa
    edited December 2011

Kbodie,  I was concerned last night when you posted.  Years ago, my husband ended up with a blood clot  in his leg after spending huge amounts of time in a cramped coach seat on an airplane.  I know I am a worrier and I didn't want to project that onto you but I'm very  glad you are getting this looked at.  Then I will relax.  If it is nothing you can move on.  If it needs to be treated you will get the care you need.  Tell us what the ER docs think.

Bernice

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2011
    KBodie - I hope all is well.
  • KBodie
    edited December 2011

I'm back! 4 hours later, it is not a blood clot, it is traumatic neuropathy, nerve injury/damage, probably from the lipo cannulas. Could be from that drainage tube right on the inner thigh but most likely the cannula. There is a nerve from the groin all the way down on that same line that I am having the burning pain. The injured nerve could be anywhere along that line. He did lots of tests with a pin and there is some numbness along that line as well. And then an ultrasound to confirm and that hurt! They pressed on the vessel right from the groin and I jumped and pushed her hand away! Anyway, warm compresses 4 times a day for 20 minutes. That's about it. Thanks for being here for me, ladies!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

So it can be repaired with time.. thank goodness.

• besa
    edited December 2011

Kbodie - Good news.  It sounds like time (and some warm compresses) will allow this to heal.  Thanks for posting so quickly!

• joasta7
    joasta7 Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2011

Here in NOLA.  Stage 2 is tomorrow with Dr. Trahan.  My breast already look better than what I first came here with - can't wait to see the final result.  So glad to have all of your support!  

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Good luck tomorrow.. How does it look better already??

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

KBodie: Glad you had your burning pain looked into and especially glad it's nothing more than a response to nerve injury.  Even though it's uncomfortable/painful, knowing what it is does a lot to relieve your concerns.  Thanks for reporting back to us so quickly!  Hope the compresses make a difference.

Stacy called today and I was delighted to report that I'm back to feeling great, drains are out, swelling down and even though I'm only 2 weeks out, I'm delighted with the changes in my body already.  The breasts are identical now, nicely shaped, soft to the touch with no sagging.  My tats really add alot and yet I still have the ability to go braless without fear of nipple protrusion.  

I've got to say, that I am so glad I decided to go back for a 2B -- truthfully, I was undecided for quite some time, thinking that i was being too vain.  In clothes my breast looked fine but naked it was clear one was rather flat on top and the other a bit saggy.  Nothing I couldn't live with but in the end, I decided to send a photo and let Dr S decide.  Once he agreed, I expected nothing more than just tweaking the breasts but what I got was a wonderful contouring and removal of some of my abdominal skin so that he could lower my incision (bikini line now) and tighten the tummy area (along with plication).  I know others have said if they done it again, they would have NOT chosen the plication.  The pain for me really wasn't all that bad and the look is fantastic!  So my advice is to hold out for that "extra prize" -- these docs are amazing but sometimes it takes a few more times to get that final look we're after.  

My only concern is that last night I woke up to discover a hard knot under my arm (armpit).  Do I dare say "lump".  It is hard and about jelly bean in size.  Stacy wants me to keep a close watch and if it isn't better by next week, I have to get it seen.  I'm already scheduled to have a dark sun spot on my scalp biopsied next week. ( New hairdresser -- she noticed it and encouraged me to go have it looked at. )  I try to remain calm but wonder if it's ever really possible once you've had a cancer diagnoisis. 

Good luck Joasta7!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

dbdaze.. it is true that once diagnosed with cancer, anything and everything is fair game for worry. At my las surgery, I had Dr D remove two freckles, right on the edge of the breast... came back atypical, so you never know.

And I agree about the 2B. I know I will need a tweak, but I don't consider it vain at all... I deserve to have near perfection if that's what I want and am willing to work for it.. and surgery is indeed work, as we all know. In clothes, my breasts are fine, but certainly not perfect. And my originals were pretty good, so I have a standard. I am not looking for better than before, but just as good, or close. I am patient though.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Good luck Joasta!  Anxious to hear you on the other side!

KBodie, what a ride!  I'm glad things got checked out and are OK.  

Surfa, I do not have the tingling but I do have numbness in some of the areas lipo-d.  

I have caught a cold!  It's making me loopy.  Kids are sent off again to sister and parents (they live 2 doors apart).   Incisions look good and no fever.  I was surprised at how good I was feeling previously but this cold is knocking me over.  I got the Big Mug out to be sure I'm on top of fluids.  Most of glue flaking off.  I'm anxious to snip the knoted suture ends.  I know I can't get to them all, so I have to figure out who I'm going to ask to snip!  It's time to order the Marena.  I think I'll get one Marena and one Flex Support.  We'll see.  Nipples are still looking huge in the brown guards.  I almost can't even imagine them getting real small.  When I check on the right one it sort of lops down.  Hmmm.  Parts of my DIEP incision revision has thicker scarring already.  Looked that way right out of surgery.  I'm not worried but I'm pretty sure at this point I'll be having a 2B.  I'm set to wait a good 8-10+ months to be sure I'm settled though.  My right side, the cancer side, has some odd shaping that I don't think will go away.  Again, it's OK.  I'm just still thrilled to extra skin paddle is gone!

Oh, yeah.  I finally had my post-surgery melt down a couple days ago.  Boom!  Just a flood of tears.  I think it passed just fine.   I've been passing much of my recovery time on Pinterest.  I'm also getting my new ipad 2 this week.  Wooo!