Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Paula... my nipple faced outward.. after I could take off the shields, they shrunk a lot and the direction mellowed too.. So it may be facing down now, but wait til you are 5-6 weeks out and see what it does then.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

I agree dbdaze and Betsy. This is a lot of work so go for the gold. But I do have to admit despite my grumblings the other day about this imperfection or that, I had some chance to assess myself today while in the ER, as did my husband, who hasn't seen much of me naked since the first few days out from surgery. He said, "you know, you look really good." And I must say, compared to how I went into stage 1, I look pretty damn good. Large saggy breasts went to nice size perky breasts. Large irregular shaped areola are now little round nipples. Roll of skin from pregnancies, as well as a good roll of fat, gone. Scars aside, my shape is almost rockin! When I went to the bathroom in my hospital gown, I looked at myself in the mirror while washing my hands and saw the perky breasts sitting up high and round and remembered not too long ago when my breasts in a hospital gown with no undergarments would hang nearly to my very high waist.

So although I worry about the thick ropey scarring on one side of my DIEP scar and I hope that the lipo still has the ability to take on the back hip and buttock area, and I am concerned about the lower ab pooch, etc, etc, etc, I had a moment of satisfaction. Felt good.

Then, as the ER doc was finishing up with me, after having me take off all the compression garments and look at things said, "it probably isn't appropriate but I must say your surgeon did a very nice job."

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Nice report dbdaze.  I like your pep talk on the 2B.  I'm so happy to hear how pleased you are.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Kbodie.. there is your silver lining for needing to go to the ER... They see a lot of naked bods, so yours being a standout is a nice compliment.

dbdaze.. I am also glad to hear your positive report on 2B... I know me, and I will be right there when my time comes... theoretically I agree with Paula to wait 8-10+ months... then there is that tiny part of me that wants to have my tweak now (or this spring)... But... I'd hate to have my tweak and then realize I need another, and another... better to have things settle and do it once...  or at least plan it around a party (House of Blues BC event, Halloween, Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest) Lots to choose from.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Betsy, I had to wait 7 months between stage 1 and 2, so it's do-able.  I just know I'm not going in July or August!

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

I know its doable to wait... I just can see myself here everyday for the next year writing about my stage IIb.. you all may have to blcok me so I don't sound like a broken record. I will try to be good.

• joasta7
    joasta7 Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2011

Hi Betsy - I walked in with an almost ten-year BMX with tissue expanders that looked horrible and felt the same.  I look better now after stage 1 and before stage 2 than I looked with in came here.  I looked terrible and felt terrible - the original doctor said no one could do anything to make me look better and Dr. Trahan and team have already done that even without finishing.  I go in at 9:30 today and know that when they are finished, the original doctor will have been proven wrong.  So grateful to be here today and grateful for all of your well wishes.  Thanks very much and I hope everyone continues to heal well and that all have a Wonderful Healthy Happy New Year!  Hugs and Kisses to all!

• joasta7
    edited December 2011

Thank you dbdaze!  Hope you start feeling 100% better!

• joasta7
    edited December 2011

Thanks Cider8 - I will try to post as soon as I am able. Take care!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

My last surgery is today! In Chicago with Dr. M.  I'll be getting a nip(ple) and a few tucks and I'll be done, a little over 2 years after I started.  I may still need/want tattoos later, not sure, and it's likely the nipple with need a minor revision later, but for the record and my peace of mind, today is the last surgery!  This whole BRCA surgery odyssey started at the beginning of 2008.  I'm so glad to be starting the new year with a clean slate.

Today will probably be done with sedation, not general anesthesia, so I'll be able to enjoy the rest of this long weekend with a clear head.  Not looking forward to the nipple guard business, but I've done it before and I'll make the best of it.  Thank goodness for flowy winter sweaters :)

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Good luck Joasta7 and jeskachi!

I just looked at the autologous reconstruction section on this site - I thought very disappointing - not giving women adequate  information.  The first autologous reconstructive surgery they talk about is a pediculed tram with the statement

"The advantage of keeping the tissue flap attached to its original source is that it remains connected to its own blood supply. This increases the chance that the transplanted tissue will thrive and do well in its new location"

O.K.------ and now what about the big disadvantages.  This is an antiquated surgery that is no longer done in many major cancer centers because of the loss of abdominal strength and higher possibility of hernia, etc yet this is the first option mentioned. 

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/reconstruction/types/autologous.jsp

Then the only type of GAP surgery they describe is the iGAP with a very negataive description (probably deserved since our docs don't recommend it)  with no mention of sGAP or hip flaps.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/reconstruction/types/crease.jsp

Could some of you take a look at the information on this site and tell me what your opinion is ?  

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2011

jeaskachi, thinking of you today!!!! I hear you about being DONE with surgeries!! I think I am done, too, though when Marga offered me one more to make things look really good, I get intrigued, the more I think about it.

Like many others here, I give in and say "it's okay"--and sure, it is, but does it have to be JUST okay?? Why deny myself the opportunity for "better"?? (That's a question for the psychiatrist, lol!)

We'll see what a year brings. Till then, I'm done. But I won't do tats till I know for sure...

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

OK, ladies, the decision is made -- I will be donating my Veronique garments to the drywall crew for sanding rough spots! Even Laura and the nurse agreed that I shouls get some Spanx or Merena and FAST!! The veronique was so rough on my skin that there are areas non involved in surgery that they are ordering cortizone creams and the like for. As if the surgery sites didn't hurt enough!! So, never having purchased Spanx, wouldn't know what to look for. Have Marenas from the last surgery, but they are not long enough in the legs. Who replaced their comfy torture Veronique garments and with what? I need to order this morning so they are here tomorrow. Appreciate the input, as always!

• celtic_antique
    edited December 2011

Friend sent this to me. At the rate some of us are going, we'd have a bushel of beads from the docs!! Love it!

http://xkcd.com/996/ 

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Good luck joasta and jeskachi!! Happy NEW year!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Celtic..did you hear about my problem with the veronique? they had to take me out of it because I had a severe allergic reaction to it. Broke out in horrible itchy hives and mini blisters. They have me mega doses of steroids. So I will have to use an alternative for stage 2 also. I believe someone else also had skin issues with it also. Strange. I wonder if I will need to purchase something myself you before stage 2 .

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Maggie.. If you go to the Marena site, you will see that they sell garments down to the ankle... I bought the ones that go to mid-calf... I wore the Veronique for two weeks, then the the Marena the next 4 weeks.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited December 2011

Good luck Joasta and Jeskachi!

• celtic_antique
    edited December 2011

Betsy -- Couldn't manage the Veronique for 2 weeks. When I had post-op check-up on the 27th (one week), Laura and the nurses all agreed that I had to get out of the Veronique. Have looked at the Marena in the same style, mid-calf. They suggested spanx, but I wouldn't know what to buy there are so many options. Perhaps for the latter stages, but not now. There are places the Veronique hit that, even with padding, turned the skin to hamburger (and that is being kind!) Hope the Marena work! This will be a long 4 weeks ... and longer healing after that, I am thinking. And I see little to make me feel it has been worth it. Nipple is WAY big, breasts don't match, lotta bruising for not-so-much benefit on the lipo. I know, patience. Never has been my strong suit! :-) Am not sure I could handle more surgery at this point ...

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2011

Just an update on the hernia repair. Talked to the nurse today, with very specific questions. :)

The hardness and little bulge is where the muscles were stitched. In time, that will flatten. 

• KBodie
    edited December 2011

Not to be totally impatient, but in how much time?

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

KBodie - so glad you are feeling better about your leg. I am wishing for comfort for all the NOLA ladies in the New Year.

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2011

She said every one is different and it could be a few weeks or so. I'm three weeks out so I hope to start seeing it lessen soon.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Maggie.. You will see things start to change... I think the biggest difference for me is no more love handles... woo hoo... My flanks were quite bruised, and I wonder if he lipo'd and then cut out the skin, cause there is no extra skin there, and he did revise my ab/butt scar. Whatever he did, he did it well... Also, my legs are much narrower... but my knees could use a little more sucked out IMO... but no biggy... He also lipo'd under my armpits, cause it was bruised there, but that is still quite swollen. I wonder if I could have benefited from some compression there.

Anyway.... try to be patient, as I am trying too... its hard.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2011

I am happy to hear that a lot of healing is taking place with the NOLA girls.  I still don't have a date and waiting to hear from Ashley.  (Dr. Massey's office)  My June 22 date just isn't sitting well with me.  Summer healing and son's wedding just seem to clash.  I am now looking into what my retirement insurance will cover in late summer.  (I am retiring in June from teaching.) We are waiting to hear from Dr. S to see if he will do a Thursday surgery at Fairway.  If so, I may be able to do this in the Spring.  So.......the saga continues. 

I think of you all often.  Happy New Year!!!!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2011

If anyone buys Spanx, try them on at Nordstrom if you can, and get the really heavy-duty ones. Mine have lasted through three surgeries, and they would have held up for the fourth, if need be. They are seamless and I would wash a pair out in the shower every other day or so. A little pilling, but not bad, considering.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

bdaze - I am catching up on lots of posts but saw you wrote it took 6 months for swelling to go down after stage 2? I am 8 weeks out and still feel quite swollen in my belly (when I had a redo of my tummy tuck.) 

Ref - my friend Maggie had a similar experience - she came back in Dec for Stage 2 and Dr S decided to do a hip flap since she had a lot of skin necrosis. I just saw her and she looks great - but is quite disappointed by the change in gears since the nurses kept telling her it was going to be fine. But the doctor has the final say and he needed to see her up close and personal to make a decision.

Betsy - I'm in the camp of waiting to see how it all shakes out.  You've had more surgeries than I have had in the last 9 months but I had 4 and can't imagine subjecting myself to one more for a long time. My immune system is shot and I am perpetually tired. My body needs a rest.  That said, I think my stage 2b made a huge change and love how I look - the size, the shape, etc.  The only thing I can see right now is that my nipples are very light and I'm thinking I may need tattoos on them...but again, I'm going to wait a year to make any decisions.  I do think you'll know when the time is right and when you "hit the wall." I know I have.

Nordy - just a week away. Can't wait to hear what Dr. S says. Good luck to you!

KBodie - don't give up. Stick with high expectations and the doctors won't disappoint you.  It might take another try (stage 2b?) but it will be worth it. I had a complication from Stage 2 and came back for 2B and I think that added step made all the difference. Besides addressing the complication Dr S went to town - he fixed all of the things that I was willing to live with and then found more.  So, I know you were hoping to be done by now but it may be worth it to do one more surgery. I'm sure there's no rush for it, so give it some time (I had about 4 months in between stage 2 and 2b) and I was ready. You may need even more time -- but don't give up until you are happy with the final result. You are worth it and deserve it!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

I have Spanx that I bought a few years ago that I have ended up wearing post surgeries. It goes up under my breasts and is the same length as the dom.  It has an open crotch (which I find essential) and it feels great to wear. I have some other Spanx that don't go up as high and they roll down on my waist, and ones that aren't as long - and they roll up my thigh.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Kathryn.. I don't know if I never noticed this or maybe I am having a senior moment... but you and I have the same diagnosis date. Did we ever notice that??

I have one spanx and I find it really uncomfortable... so then I have bought flexees... and I have the rolling problem with that... much prefer the marena.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited December 2011

Joasta and Jeskachi:  Hurrah for being on the other side!  Great recoveries for the 2012 New Year.

DbDaze:  So nice to hear that you're very satisfied with your results.  It's great to hear wonderful news. I'm looking forward to that day!  I hope I can say that after Stage II but I am open to a stage 2a.