Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2011

Kathryn - I understand your friend's frustration with the change in plans. It's hard enough to get ready for surgery but having the plan change affects you both physically and emotionally. I had a pretty good idea that I would need a redo and it was still tough to go through 2 rounds of stage 1. And I had a very tough time when I could see that I would need more surgery to correct healing problems. But we are all working toward that long-term solution and, even with some set-backs, it will be worth it in the end. You may need to remind me of that if I forget over this next week.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Rhonda.. It is true ... two stage I surgeries is really tough... but thankfully these docs keep working at you till its right. As you know, I was one of those taken by surprise that I would need a second stage I, and only a month after the first. I am not sure which is worse, delayed or soon after. Jeskachi had hers way delayed, and is just now at 2 years post stage I #1... and getting tweaked today. For some of us it is not a straight path to the finish line, but I think we all eventually cross it.

So hopefully your next stage 2 (or stage II on one side, stage IIb on the other side) goes smoothly. enjoy your time in NOLA, eat the yummy food, enjoy the warmer weather, and keep positive thoughts!!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2011

Thanks Betsy. You're right. Everybody has had their own challenges to deal with to get to the finish line. What's really amazing to me is that, even though I have issues to fix, I feel sooo much better now than with implants. These breasts feel like me, they ARE me, and I can comfortably sleep without a bra - something I couldn't do for 5 minutes with implants. So, no regrets. Just need to fix what is wrong and, you said it, Dr. S is with me to get the job done. I feel very lucky.

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2011

Good luck Joasta and Jeskachi! has anyone heard anything yet??? am so behind in posts

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Nope.. not yet.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited December 2011

jeskachi posted on the Charleston thread that all went well. Great that she had no general anesthesia. Sounded like she got a good nipple tweaking. Sure she will be here soon to post.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Hi Ladies,

I dont have internet access where I am staying until Jan 6th, so I will not be online to monitor here!

Please have new folks send me a PM if they want to be added to the listing above, that will help me keep orgainized once back.

Hope you are all doing okay! I haven't been able to read the entries as I have limited time and need to sign off now.

Happy New Year 2012! May you be healthy and happy and serene!

Spring. 

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Ladies as 2011 comes to a close, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this board for all your wonderful support, advice and friendship this year ...god knows where i would have ended up if i hadnt stumbled on the Nola thread....actually, i do know, I would have been further butchered by my previous surgeon since i did not know any better or even feel like i could expect more...so thank you all, am looking pretty darn good cos of all of you lol x

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

Hi all- actually, I had a nipple made. The left one disappeared when my flap failed earlier this year. It was a challenge because the right one is a really good nipple-- it has areola skin in it and it was made by bunching up loose skin, so it's pretty solid and it even pinks up. Also no incisions because of the bunching.

She went above and beyond on the left one yesterday to try to match it. She added dermis from my hip (dog ear correction) and it's sort of this beehive sculpture right now. Huge. Like a finger tip but bigger around. We're hoping it'll end up like the right one.

The local lasted until I went to bed but wore off overnight. Ow. At least I have a long weekend to recover.

Happy New Year everyone! I don't think I'll be going out because I don't know how to camoflauge this thing. Or wear a bra until the swelling goes down. Might be another quiet one for me (but next NYE--watch out!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited December 2011

Happy New Year!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

In all my surgeries I've never had steri strips before now. How long do they take to fall off?

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

Jeskachi - For me I am guessing it will take 2 1/2 to 3 weeks for the steri strips to fall off.  I am at two weeks today and my steri strips are still holding pretty tight.  I talked to Janine at the Center about this today. She told me not to pull them off but I could use a wash cloth on them if they were loose - I guess to sort of loosen them some more. If I have it right I think she wants me to deal with them the same way I deal with the surgical glue.   She told me that there were absorable sutures underneath my steri strips so once the steri strips are off I will need to deal with that also. 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

Damn! Running low grade 101+ temp. Hate this ...

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Aw... feel better.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Celtic - sorry to hear about your fever.  Good if it stays low.  Lots of water. Feel better.

Jeskachi - Mine took a total of 4 weeks and yes I gave them a helping hand with the 

• celtic_antique
    edited December 2011

Fever broke early this AM after spiking to 102. Better, though have that after-fever sweaty "you been sick" smell, know what I mean? Time for the showers and the new Marenas -- put one on yesterday and it was (even with all the compression) so much easier on the old beat-up bod! Let the REAL healing commence!! I got another vacation waiting for me in February and I want to be in a bathing suit, not a compression suit! Happy New Year to literally some of the strongest women I know! You inspire me ... 

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

Just published my end of the year post on my blog -- ending my breast cancer reconstruction journey.  The story would have been so different without all of you -- it was because of the many words of wisdom, experiences and recommendations that led me to NOLA and the Center.  Thank you! 

dbdazedomain.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/end-of-2011-and-more/ 

• louis13
    edited December 2011

morning ladies,well i got a new red shiny bike for christmas and after we came home i got to go on my first ride the other day and I hit a rut in the road with my new sensitive tyres and steering, all new to me!  and came flying off and hit a parked car on my diep( left) side... so my lipo bruises are now replaced by bike accident bruises! apart from being embarrassed, spent last 24hours bit panicked about breast, but i seem to have come thru ok...maybe safer to be a couch potatoe for a bit...or go back to gym...but do love riding bikes now and adventures it can open up for you..I have not ridden a bike for 40 years until recently!!! omg, as i write that i am shocked...but its true 

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Rosemary.. I think there is no need to worry about the breast... All the blood vessels are well attached now so no need to worry about it... but it could have affected fat grafting. So just keep an eye on it.

Were you wearing a helmet?? We care about your head too.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2011

Louis!!! Omg, I am soooo sorry you crashed! Sounds like you need a little recuperation & your front wheel on your new bike may need to be trued now (straightened) before you go ride again! I hope you got a hiny red helmet with your new bike! Not because I think you need it especially, but because everyone does! Mine is ugly green & my husband can spot me from a mile away (for some reason it doesn't seem to be a popular color). Feel better & take care of your new injuries!!!

Dbdaze- just read your blog. I love how you summarized your year! Out of curiousity who did you see in Seattle? I also went for a consult at UW & although I thought the doc was nice enough They refused to work with my insurance, and I was never shown any result picture but one. Didn't really ease my mind... I am glad you found Dr. S & the Center!

Celtic- glad to hear your fever broke! There is a short lived flu going around by me... Lasts about teo days. I am just getting over it after both my kids had it & i am so glad! It is not fun to feel so yucky... And especially not after surgery!

Oh, and i almost forgot, Happy New Year!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2011

Ok, wishing EVERYONE a Happy New Year, but for some reason my very frustrating ipad will not put it out there by itself...!!!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

Did I read that the center gives you Arnica to take after ?

Happy New Year all! 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

need2new- Had never even heard about "Arnica" until I saw the word posted here.  Don't even know what it is.  I had stage 1 and 2 with Dr. D. and the Center didn't talk about it or offer it. 

A question - I am at the 2 week mark post stage 2and slept without a compression garment last night for the first time.  It went fine.  Spent all of today so far without it, also went fine- but decided to put it on when I walk on the treadmill at the gym (just in case).  How do you decide if you still need it?

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

I hadn't heard of Arnica either... I asked the Center about it and they said it is good to take starting 2 days before surgery but never gave me any.. I bought mine at GNC.

As far as when its ok to get out compression, I have followed the docs orders... 6 weeks. I go to the gym without it and its ok... My belly is still bloated but not more or less when I exercise... and it was bloated with compression too.. so I think I just need time.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2011

i took mine off after the required two weeks and havent worn anything since.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2011

i forgot about the arnica part of the question.  i was not given it or told about it at the center.  but i was taking it as part of a bunch of things my naturopathic doctor told me to take before and after surgery.  i experienced almost no bruising.

eta- betsy i am reading backwards.   oh no i just read about you possibly needing another surgery.

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Louis - so sorry to hear about your accident. Although in a very weird way it might be kind of nice to worry about something besides cancer

Celtic - I know what you mean about the shower - but boy, doesn't it feel great!

Besa - I'm 8 weeks out from stage 2 and still attached to my compression garment. I sleep without it but it makes me feel sort of safer and protected during the day.  I always exercise with it.  I do think it's a good idea to wear it as long as you can - 6 weeks is what the doctors wish people would wear it for. I think it helps with the final result.  But you need to get a comfy one - otherwise it is torture to wear it even as long as 2 weeks.

Happy New Year to everyone and may we all have ongoing good health for the years to come.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

I only discovered Arnica by way of this group before my Stage 1.  I took it starting a couple of weeks prior to my surgery and then for a week or so after.  I had bruising but it didn't last long.  This last time, I hadn't been very faithful.  When I went in to my pre-op with Dr. S and asked where I might find Arnica cream, he said they had the pills to give me but didn't know about the cream.  I have no idea why some folks get it sent to them prior to surgery without request and others don't.  I did track down the cream while I was in New Orleans.  I definitely had some dark bruising but started using the cream right away and the bruising practically disappeared overnight.  I was impressed!

Nordy: Thanks for reading my blog.  It was a good way to compact the journey and put it to rest.  Dr Drew Welks at the Poly Clinic was who I saw in Seattle.  Even though it shows him doing DIEP flap reconstruction on his website, when I saw him in person, he said he didn't and then he went into a mini-tirade how women should stay off the Net and leave decisions like this to doctors who know.  He brought in medical magazines for me to read to prove his point that a DIEP flap was in no way better than any other.  Finally he leaves me with, if you STILL want to go with the DIEP flap surgery you can go east of the mountains or U of W.  I was quietly respectful during the visit but knew he wouldn't be seeing me again.  I did call and make an appointment with Dr. Nulligan at U of W but cancelled when my husband encouraged me to give NOLA a call and see what I could work out.  

Louis: So very sorry to hear of your accident!  Hope there's no permanent damage to either you or your spanking new red flashy bike.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Teresa... Like many, I will probably go for a 2b... I could use a little more contour/shaping on my breasts and I will see what happens, but my left HIP breast is still firm... no biggy.. and it can wait.

dbdaze... That is incredible that a doctor would say all that to you... how arrogant can you be... Glad to hear your husband was on board finding you the best!!!

• celtic_antique
    edited December 2011

I had used Arnica gel topically for year -- starting with my tummy tuck and it does somehow seem to work near miracles! When I asked the Center, they sent me 5 week dosages to be taken under the tongue, starting 2 days before surgery and after until gone. I have done that, but now that I am home, I have also started with the Arnica gel and my husband remarked as I was stripping for the shower (he's my spotter -- can't pull a Betsy! Nearly did post-op in the shower and was made to stay another night!) that you could visibly see the difference in some of the smaller, less traumatized areas. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He will get me a new tube this week. 

dbdaze -- must be your doctor went to the same medical school as many that I saw at Hopkins and Sloan-Kettering! I think they have to have a personality-ectomy if they have one. If not, they just toughen it up, puff it up with arrogance and conceit, and de-humanize those jerks. No small wonder when we meet the Drs. we are amazed. They aren't quite sure why ... perhaps someday we will tell them how truly special they are. 

Thought ... what does one do with one's used DOMs? I have an unopened one I will send back to the Center, but surely there is a use for the used ones?

HAPPY NEW YEAR All!!