Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2012

I just jetted off an email to Celeste about Kelocote.  I'll soon be 4 weeks out from my last Stage 2 surgery and if there's something available to help with the scaring, I'd like to try it.  

I actually went "no-compression' all day today -- no signs of swelling at all. In fact, I was able to get back into my pre-surgery jeans and they're actually a bit loose!  Ask me if I luv it?  Totally!!!  I think I'll probably go back to wearing the compression tomorrow --- love my Marena! -- just because ... it feels good.  

Semper: I wish we had met too!  Kaitsmom and I both were taking into surgery at the same time so we got to chat a bit.  After surgery, I was sooooo out of it.  I didn't even leave my room.  Even upon checking out the next day, I don't really remember much.  Funny how that is!   Loved your remark about how hysterical it was having a man write "fat" on your body!  You gotta luv that magic marker!!

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2012

Hi all--had a very long day of pre-op from 9:30-4!  I went out to dinner tonight with my brother and dad who are here to help me.  My surgery is tomorrow at 8am.  I can't believe I'm not really anxious or having any sort of meltdown!  I will definitely post as soon as I remember to (post anesthesia-fog) and feel up to it.  Thanks so much for all the well wishes!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2012

Dj, ref & surfagirl- sending positive vibes & well wishes for your surgeries! You will all do great!

Cider- sorry to hear about your seroma! They are a nuisance, for sure, but this will pass!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year to all of you!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited January 2012

Gues what?  I got to hang out with Springtime, the lovely lady who started this very popular and helpful thread, and her family tonight!!

I was aweome!  I haven't seen her in person since 2009 when we were both at the Center at the same time.  Her daughters are delightful and her husband is so sweet.  And she is as gorgeous and healthy and wonderful in person as she is on this thread!

Tomorrow Nordy gets the her turn!  Someday we need to organize a big NOLA reunion.  

Here's to a healthy and happy 2012!!! 

• Nordy
    edited January 2012

Yes, trishia & i am counting down the minutes until tomorrow night! I am so excited to see her again! I am glad you guys got to meet up tonight!

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2012

Kathryn, did your nutritionist recommend liposomal curcumin? and a full fat approach or no? that seems to be one area of controversy

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2012

Got my seroma drained this morning.  210 cc's!!  That's a lot.  What's crazy is that it didn't even seem like my breast was swollen or too big or anything.  Just a little water bed-y.  I saw the radiologist who did my biopsies when I was first diagnosed, who I really like.  She wanted to hear all about NOLA (as well as the nurses) and I was happy to share.  I ended with a show and tell as well.  

Now, after I was drained my breast looked misshapened and deformed.  The Dr reassured me that it would shape back up (the body is amazing, she said).  And it did after about an hour or so.  Both the Dr here and Stacy said it may or may not fill back up and need more draining.  I have to keep an eye on it.  It really was no big deal to drain.   I can't imagine it not needing more draining, based on how much came out.

Kathryn, my Cancer Community Center has a nutritionist that I want to meet with.  It's good to hear how successful your meeting went.

I'm thinking of our ladies in surgery! 

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited January 2012

Hi Cider - my seroma sister - Glad you got it drained and it went so easily.  Did they talk to you about compression?  I don't know about breast seromas, but I have been told to apply a lot of compression to keep my hip incision seroma from refilling.  It has refilled but more slowly each time, so the MD who did the latest aspiration said I should keep up the compression.  I started at 130ccs and the latest was 15, so I hope yours will go the same way but a lot faster! 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2012

Thanks for the information about Kelocote and brown tape!  I will also contact the Center about this.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

I heard from Refs husband and she did well today, and is hoping to post tomorrow morning.

• louis13
    edited January 2012

great news Betsy, thanks..and Paula, you do need to do the compression thing it is true...by seroma just kept refilling until i got really proactive with compression.. when i think about it I had two seromas..one under arm from lymph node removal and one in breast which i did not even know about until MRI

• louis13
    edited January 2012

so the thing with tape and kelocote is that you use one or the other, as i was told today...and the tape you apply and leave until it drops off..not what i thought !

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

hmmm. I was taking the tape off... no wonder I ran low... I tend to use the tape on my ab scar and use the kelo cote on my breasts... for my hip scars I prefer the kelocote... I kind of change it up depending on how much ime I have, but I did not know I was supposed to leave the tape on.

• louis13
    edited January 2012

neither did i Betsy..been doing the same. btw..i am not even sure what sort of bra i should/can be wearing at this stage? 

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

at one month you can wear any bra BUT... I find the underwire a little too much.

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2012

Michelle...Good luck with the next surgery...sorry you need to do another one!

• ref
    ref Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2012

Hi all! Thanks for all the good wishes and healing vibes. I got in yesterday morning, went directly to SCSH to meet with Sally, took a break for lunch and a walk on Magazine St and then my pro-op with Dr. S. He is really amazing! I felt so much better after talking to him. He marked me up with places to reduce the right breat and add lipo to the left. He is also revising the abdomen and hip incisions. Doing just litle bits of lipo here and there, thighs and armpits. He explained everything really well and listened to all my concerns. Finished up our meeting, had an early dinner and got to bed early. Completely exhausted after being sleep deprived for weeks.

Today's surgery went smoothly. Got here at 9:30 and was wheeled into surgery right around 10:30. Got prepped with the IV and nice warming blankets. Held of on the Versed until I was in the operating room just to check it out. Then I was out! Woke up in recovery about 3 1/2 hours later. Was very cold so lots more warming blankets. Back in room around 5-5:30. Very tired so I'm just resting and catching up on more sleep. Nice having the pain pump so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Tomorrow should be getting up and walking and will hopefully catch up with DJ and Surfa.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!!!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited January 2012

Ref: congratulations for being on the other side. U sound great! I'm a little stressed because I would like to ask dr. One more question regarding lipo on side of natural breast. Kind of didn't want to go through too much again but yet I do want symmetry. Arrgghh! The things that I get stressed about.

I have to keep my eye on the end result. I also may get drains again.

Early surgery tomorrow @ 7:00. Started taking the arnica. Hope it works.

I used kelocote for abdominal and breast scars as I had a delayed recon so there is a scar across breast. Celeste from the center gave me 2 tubes and I ordered the rest from Costco online.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2012

Ref - nice to hear you are comfortable and resting. Surfagirl - good luck in the morning, sweet dreams to you.

Has anyone eaten at Irene's?? Wanted to have Italian food the night before my surgery and my friend suggested this place. Thoughts? 

• ref
    edited January 2012

surfa - if you have more questions, you will have an opportunity to talk to Dr. S while you are waiting in the pre-op area. He always checks in with you there to review any questions or concerns you may have.

• Nordy
    edited January 2012

Surfa - yes, what Ref said about Dr.S being available to answer questions in the morning. You will be great!

Need2- I ate at Irene's last time we were there and we thought it was delicious!

I got to meet up with Springtime today & her lovely family. It was so good to see her again! I love that her member name is Springtime, because the name suits her. Lovely lady, lovely family.

Ref, glad to hear you are doing well on the other side. I hope you get to see dj & hope all is well with her too!

Marcia.... Just thinking about you.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2012

Hi guys,

Both kids home for the holidays and so busy, I've often thought I need to get onto these boards and check up on everyone! Congrats to DJ and Ref! Glad you got to see the OR, Ref. It's pretty danged impressive!

Surfagirl - Good luck tomorrow! Irene's is purportedly Brangelina's fav restaurant in NOLA. It's got great food and great atmosphere. Maybe you can catch it post-op, if you didn't tonite.

Stretch limos - I got one once! It was from the hosp to my hotel, post my Stage 1 on my first breast. All of their town cars were being used. It was awesome! So, girls, it is always a distinct possibility!

Hi Nordy!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2012

Oops! I mean Need2new, about Irene's.

• Nordy
    edited January 2012

Hi Eve! How goes the insurance battle? I hope you win. I despise mine right now too...

• ref
    edited January 2012

I got some great sleep last night. Of couse, woke up for nurses visits. They have been fantastic! Hoping to get the catheter out this morning and take a walk. A shower sounds good about now too. Had some itching during the night. Took a Benedryl which helped a lot. They took me off the automatic pain drip but I can still self-administer pain meds, which has not been too often. Otherwise feeling pretty good. Will look to check in with DJ and Surfa later in the day.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited January 2012

Need2new -- local like Vincent's on St. Charles for Italian. Small, crowded, but the greatest food! My last time was homemade pasta and artichokes the like of which I have never had. Hve a friend who lives in NOLA and that was where we had supper the evening before pre-op, so my belly musta been bulgin' because I ate SO much!!

Healing thoughts to you all! 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited January 2012

Question on the kelocote. I have always used Vitamin E oil directly on the incisions once the glue has fallen off. Have done even for my open heart surgery. Do any of you think the kelocote works better? Is it just the silicone protector or what are the ingredients to heal the scars. Just wondering. Thanks.

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited January 2012

i have used kelocote only because after stage one i had a raised scar on my breast incision.  i wasn't given it at the center but when it was healing oddly i took a picture and sent it in.  then they sent me the kelocote.  i didn't notice a difference with use.  when i went back for stage 2 Dr S revised it.  I almost had forgotten to mention it but remember and pointed it out to him right before the surgery.  it is healing fine this time.  Currently I am only using wheat germ oil on my scars.....which is rich in vitamin e.  my naturapathic doc recommended it and it was only 8 bucks for a bottle so it is what i am using at the moment.  I put it on all my scars after i shower.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited January 2012

RunningFS and Rosemary, regarding the seroma: the Dr did ask if I was wearing a bra (yes) and told me to wear it 24/7.  Which I have been since surgery.  I've been wearing the black compression bras they give us after surgery.  I don't know if I need more compression.  I guess if I need draining again I will see if I need more compression.  So far my breast just seems full but not like a water bed.  It's a little hard for me to identify, as the area almost the size of my hand over the center of my breast (seroma is much surface vs deep pocket) and the swelling is very even.  I will stay vigilant! 

It's been 3 weeks since surgery.  My upper abdomen is still feeling sore, I assume from lipo.  Not bad sore, like a hard workout sore.  My bruising is all gone.  Arnica helped with bruising, but I did have some bruising on my inner things that was quite dark.   A couple of suture knots still left, as well as a little glue.  Nipples are another story; I have not touched the glue or sutures.  They look good but still huge.  If they decrease as I'm told I think I will be pleased with the size.  1 1/2 weeks more for the brown nipple guards. 

Good progress, Ref. 

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited January 2012

Aloha wahine (greetings ladies, iin hawaiian)

Ref thank u for letting me know that I could talk to Dr. S before surgery; I did. I felt bad having to change a few things we discussed two days ago. But he was totally fine with it and I'm not the first to do it.

I know all his recommendations would have made me looking wonderful because Susan shared I was an excellent candidate for lipo. Although I would have loved that, I chose minimal areas (3) instead of (6) . I couldn't bear the anticipation and losing all my fat?. Yeah I know that's weird but i am a physical educator for the past 25 years and have been ingrained to exercise. Just a personal choice but of course if I change my mind I'll do it next time.

Except for being extremely sleepy pain iis manageable with pain pump. I slept all day until now and am still sleepy. Rolled back in after 7:30 surgery. Wondering if they gave me more anesthesia this time. Think I had a different anesthesiologist. I have one drain. Well I guess it's better than 3 that I had last time.. Fat necrosIs taken out and that area is sore along with my hand that had two tries for I V. No luck so third IV on arm just to get anrsthesia and fluids in. Fourth IV placed in hand while under. Other than that, I am so thrilled to b on the otherside with all u ladies.

DJ sending u my prayers for a comfortable recoveryXOXO

Haven't walked yet but will walk the halls tomorrow. So sleepy they just sat me up a little while ago

I'll have mt board name and real name on my board. Thank u very much to everyone who thought about me during surgery and thank u for all your positive thoughts and prayers.