Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Here's who's up next!

Mar 21 - Mamma2Four (Michelle) - Stage 1B with Dr. Marga, NOLA. 

Mar 23 - FightLikeAGirl - Fairway Stage 1 DIEP with Dr. Marga and Dr. Sullivan. 

A 
  • bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

There is a woman Cheryl who will be having her stage I on March 27th with Dr D.. so if anyone f down there, look for her.. Very thin blond woman, long hair...

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Leaving today for NOLA!!  Nerves are back on even though i have done this already.  Mainly leaving my hubby and 4 kiddos.  Oh and doggies too:) 

Betsy, I fly back the 29th but i will definitely keep an eye out. 

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2012

I go for a consult next week with Dr. D.  I have had reconstruction w/ TEs and Implants that have hit complications.  Has anyone else on here gone to NOLA after implants ?  Any suggestions for me in getting ready for my meeting ?  Thanks Ladies !

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2012

Hi everyone, I am new to this thread and just wanted to introduce myself.  This thread has such great information and has served as wonderful resource through this step of my journey.  I am scheduled for DIEP/SGAP Stage 1 with Dr. Marga in NOLA April 17th. 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Good luck, Michelle!  Let us know what Dr M is doing this surgery. 

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2012

ShannonR -- I had a TE in when Dr. D. did me. Had capsular contracture -- was almost a shoulder pad rather than a breast!! LOL! Dr. D. worked a small miracle in my mind, and I now possess a natural looking and feeling breast (unilateral). You are heading to the right place, for sure!!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

It is true.. Celtic let me knock on it... it was as hard as a door... LOL.

Shannon....Lots of women have had implants and then come to NOLA...

Yay Dana... you are almost up... You should PM Springtime and have her add your info up top.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited March 2012

Out of the Center and at Homewood now. Home tomorrow.

• eine
    eine Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2012

I had a failed recon and am now researching my options for DIEP.  I had a lumpectomy and rads so I would first need a mastectomy along with the DIEP.  i would love to hear from anyone who had a similiar situation.  I met with Dr. Song in Chicago and am scheduling a phone consult with Dr. Massey asap.

• Springtime
    edited March 2012

Dana, I added your dates, welcome!

Sharron, Lots of us had implants, you are in GOOD company!

Eine, many here also had failed recon. Many had delayed recon. 

You ladies are in the BEST of hands. You will be restored! Go to the NOLA website and look at the before and after pictures. www.breastcenter.com  Questions? lots of supportive women to help you here. 

Other Ladies, Liz called me today and told me that my pics are in the "Body lift" journal article that you all mentioned earlier. She gave me the link. I'll share here. I am in Figure 9 and 11. I personally like 11. I also lost weight, but it is some transformation I went through! All thanks to Dr. D.  

From Liz, "Here is the link to the journal: www.PRSJournal.com. Once opened, then hit current issue and the article is the first one. It is free."  

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Shannon,  I also had implants on both sides with bad capsular contraction on right.  I'm two weeks out of SGap stage 1 and the difference is huge. They took out the aloderm and the capsules.  Everyone is different but I think they have seen and dekt with about everything.

Hi Dana,  I am going to tell you what everyone told me.  You are going to the very best.  I'm two weeks out and feel free to pm me if you have any questions

Adey, glad you are mending....home tomorrow.  That will feel great Hugs, Jamie 

• Springtime
    edited March 2012

I had implants that I hated. I never got used to the feel of them under my pec muscles. Once side had radiation and it totally messed it up. When I got them out, I remember, moving around in bed, even after Stage 1 surgery, thinking, ahhhh, that's how it is supposed to feel in my chest. Soft, no funny ick under the muscles!

No regrets, none at all! 

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2012

A giggle for you guys and for those contemplating using NOLA docs:

I had my EGD (looking in your stomach) today and when I woke up in recovery my bra was undone. I asked the nurse what happened and she said I flashed the doctor after the procedure!!!

So even in our sleepiness we love what the docs at NOLA have done and are not afraid to show it!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Great pictures Spring!!!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2012

Wow amazing pics Springs - I too like #11 best - looks great!

Karen - haha, hysterical!  I can hardly wait for the show and tell room at the FORCE conference to show mine off!

So many new people welcome!  And another Dana!  Hi Dana, I'm Dana too - and I'm in Sonoma CA so not far from you.  You will be so happy at NOLA - I'm assume you checked out all the local SF docs like I did and were not happy with the options.  Traveling for this surgery was one of the best things I ever did.

So, I'm 7 months post stage 2 now and something pretty amazing happened in the last couple of weeks - it's like my body finally "got it" and realized I'm done and it's doesn't need to hold on to puffiness anymore.  Overnight it seems like I lost 10 lbs, everything is sleekier and more trim and best of all feels totally normal and...well...healed.  I'm impatient too and I was starting to think I would always be lumpy and feel puffy...I was contemplating a 2b but if all continues this way I think I'm done!  Fingers crossed...

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Yay Dana!!!!!

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2012

Wow spring...lookin good! Thanks for the inspiration Dana, and the reminder to be patient! Welcome newbies. You are going to be so happy. NOLA magic is the light at the end of this tunnel!

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2012

Bdavis - enjoyed reading your spring break post.  It is good to know that when this is all over, things will get back to normal.

Adey - so glad that you will be on your way home tomorrow.

Springtime - I read the article.  As for the pics, wow!  Number 11 is quite impressive.

Since my last post, I have prepared a list of questions for Dr. D for my April 2nd consult.  Trying to get prepared!  I am also hoping to attend the FORCE conference in October.  Next week, I am starting training to be a research advocate.  Looking forward to this volunteer job!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2012

Spring - You look amazing! I can't believe that your radiated breast looks so good! I have some significant asymmetry which I think is secondary to breast LE in my radiated breast. I think I remember you saying that you have trunk LE. It's certainly not evident in your pics!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited March 2012

Spring: You look awesome! I think they all look great. Amazing.

I was looking at the other pictures also, the incision on the back side, is figure 8 & 10 a hip flap?

Adey:  So glad you are on your way home!  YahhhLaughing

Welcome Shannon and Dana.   

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2012

Adey, so glad you are on your way home!!

Spring you look amazing!!

I am starting to purchase items I know I will need before surgery.  Not necessarily medical supplies for drains etc., but like silk pajamas, leacho pillow.  I know there is a big list attached to this thread and I have that printed, but looking for things you are SO glad you had or really wish you did have.  This may be too "TMI", but what kind of panties did the "hipsters" wear? I plan on buying some very colorful ones, but what type will work best with the hip drains?

Is it worth buying a leacho pillow? Camisoles that hold drains? I just don't want to spend money on things I won't really need, but don't want to end up buying a bunch of stuff at once..if that makes any sense.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2012

chelle- I ended up wearing Gap underwear I already had that was "boy short" shaped. But not skimpy boy shorts, more like stylish granny panties :)  Underwear that had a waistline above where bikini underwear would normally lay was the most comfortable for me.  I bought some actual granny panties--Skimp Skamp from Bali--but they were so high waisted (and not all that soft) I couldn't stand to wear them.  It turns out everything become high-waisted after you lose your butt.  And if you lose your tummy too it's even worse.

I have 2 camisoles for drains that I'll be glad to send you.  They were well-used (through 2 stage 1's and a stage 2 with drains) but they're still holding up.  One is a large, one is an x-large, no idea why I got two different sizes from the hospital (in Charleston).  But I'll be glad to send them if you want.  I would say those were the thing I wouldn't want to do without if I were to have the surgery again. I wore them every day.

They are this camisole:

http://www.gentlet.com/camisole.html

white with pink ribbon, size chart on the site

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Spring, you look great!  The paper was a facinating read.

Dana thank you for sharing.  I'm 3 months post op and not feeling 'done' at all.  Your turn to feeling 'done' is inspiration to keep on being patient.  

Welcome to those joining!  

Adey, how are you feeling?  You are on your way home today---yay! 

• chellehump
    edited March 2012

Hi Jeskachi

That would be great if you would send those to me.  Can I pay you for them? I am up June 1st and with the weather pattern the way it is now, I got a feeling I will need a few of these to wear because it's gonna be HOT!!

I thought about the "boy short" type panties, but they tend to ride up on my thighs so I wasn't sure that would work. I guess I will buy some of different styles and see what works.  I just don't want to wear "Hanes" granny panties like I did after my hysterectomy (full abdominal). It just didn't help the "self esteem" by any means...lol

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

Hi all. I've been off the list for a couple of days so trying to catch up. I pulled one drain this morning! I'm so thrilled! One to go. Tomorrow will be six weeks since my stage 1. I've scheduled stage 2 with Dr. D for May 11, so I guess that can go on the list. I'm squeaking in under the wire on that. It's just barely past the 12 weeks, but my husband is changing jobs (and insurance) at the end of May and I really didn't want to deal with that. My current insurance has already signed off on it. 

I'm recovering well. The pain finally started fading around week 4, though it still aches at night. I sent my lovely recliner back to the rental place three days ago and have not been able to sleep well on my back in bed, but now with a drain out, I can sleep on my side. I can't wait!

My breasts look good - a bit lumpy, but I guess that's expected. There's really only one place I can find that's REALLY hard and it's shrunk since the op. We'll see what the good doctor says about that. 

I'm in PT and starting to get my range of motion back and I'm back at work. 

Congrats and good luck to everyone. I'm off to PT but I'll read the last few days in more detail later.

• chellehump
    edited March 2012

Hey there Eva,

I am so glad you were able to pull one of your drains today & that the pain is less!! YAY!! The whole drain process is still a "fear" of mine, but....Also, I can't go back to work until my drains are out and the holes are closed. I work in an office, but its a testing lab and the environment is dusty and I worry about coming in here (even in the office part) with an open wound like that. I am only doing my LOA for 6 weeks, but I can extend if I need to.

Wow, you will get through your stage 2 before my stage 1 :) I will be doing the same thing though as my stage 2 is scheduled (I believe) for September 7th.

As for PT.  I thought about arranging that too.  How did you go about getting that done and is insurance paying for it? Usually it takes a doctor to prescribe it, so I wasnt sure if this is something the center arranges for you or can you have a local doctor do it.  I would just want to have someone experienced with mastectomy patients working with me and have orders from a breast surgeon or PS.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Hi, sitting by the pool awaiting my pre op appt wi dr. M. I saw Adey last night with her husband and we had a great time. She looks awesome.

Had a great bday lunch with my mom, yes today is my birthday Nd it has been a good one so far. Can't wait until tomorrow!

• chellehump
    edited March 2012

Happy Birthday Michelle!!

Wishing you all the best tomorrow!! I'll be saying prayers :) HUGS!!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

Hi Michelle. About the PT. My insurance does not require a doctor's order so I just called a PT that was recommended to me and made the appointments and my insurance is covering it. But I'm guessing most insurance requires an order. I assume the NOLA center will provide it or you could ask your local doc to write it for you. Mine would have if it had been necessary. I was cleared for PT at four weeks and hopped right on it immediately. I'm glad I did. I'm planning to go to my belly dance class tonight.

Happy birthday to the other Michelle!