Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2012

I live in the NOLA area and count myself so very lucky. I had my BMX with DIEP on 2/17, with Dr Trahan being my surgeon. I am amazed at how well I have healed and even more amazed at how great my breasts look. Yes, there are still scabs and such but Iam so happy that I was able to wake up with Breasts that look and feel real.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

That is great TeddyBear71!  

Happy Birthday Michelle!

About PT:  when I first asked the Center about PT, they offered to give me a prescription, but did not have a recommendation for me.  I already had a pain Dr with a PT practice that I knew I would go to.  I got the clear at 4 weeks and met with the Dr, then started PT the next week.  Before my surgery I knew she had experience with mastectomy patients.  So my pain Dr wrote the prescription.  If I hadn't known about about this practice, I would have asked for recommendations from my local Cancer Support Community.  My pain Dr gives presentations there twice per year on post mastectomy recovery (which I found out later).  Plus the CSC had support group meeting that had a guest speaker from a Woman's PT practice.  My own oncologist would not have known where to direct me.  The social worker at my local breast center may have known.   

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2012

Chellehump,  I wasnt sure what a leacho pillow was, so googled it. Which one are you thinking about getting? I am just a few days behind you, June 7 in Charleston with Dr Kline, unilateral SGAP. I am getting nervous and also starting to gather some items. Next on the list, colorful boy shorts ! 

• CaitlinB
    CaitlinB Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012

Hi Ladies,

Happy Birthday, Michelle!

Yesterday was rough.  I met with my chemo team and will begin chemotherapy on next Wednesday, 3/28; then 4/11, 4/25 and 5/9 for my AC treatments.  I am getting a second opinion on Friday, but I am fairly certain that I will stick with the AC.  If you would like to join my solidarity group, called Caitlin's Irish Brigade I would love it.  Simply wear green underwear on the dates mentioned above and you are officially in the club.  I would appreciate your support.  

I had the MUGA test yesterday and found out that my heart has a 68 % ejection fraction (anything over 50 % is good).  Hopefully the treatments will not weaken my heart too much.

I cried much of yesterday because it was all hitting me at once.  The chemo is very real now.  I got my hair cut short today (planning on buzzing it along with my husband's the weekend of my first treatment.  Figured I'd rather go shorter and not have it be so much hair to buzz which would cut down on the shock of it all being gone.  I don't want to wait until it falls out and risk being alone and upset.  So I am taking the wheel!  

Other than that, I am healing very nicely.  My incisions look great.  Looking forward to having chemo behind me and planning my Stage 2.  

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Caitlin, I will join your Irish Brigade!  I don't have green underwear yet...  Yes, quite a day.  It was not so long ago that I was there.  In fact, I'm 6 months post chemo and I haven't looked like a cancer patient for a good two months.  I did not shave my head until the morning of my second treatment.  I did buzz it to a mohawk several days before, though!  I made some friends in the chemo room with two other young women.  I posted a lot on the A/C Groupies Unite! thread on the chemo board.  The thread is dead now, but there is good info there.  I started with a general chemo thread for the month I started, but AC/T every 2 weeks is a bit different, and I felt more connected with those going through the same treatment plan.  

When do you get your port?  I think I was more nervous about that surgery than in NOLA; probably because of the bedside manner.  It was good, but not great like in NOLA.  It probably took about 6 weeks for me not to hate my port; by the last 2 months I loved my port!  I thought I'd want it out immediately after chemo.  By that time (4 months later), I didn't mind it at all the 3 months waiting for Stage 2.  

You will be OK through chemo.  Take each day as it comes.  I made the mistake of comparing myself to those who seemed to be doing better than me with fatigue and side effects.  I kept trying to do and be what I thought I *should* be doing.  Welllllll, I fared better mentally once I let that part go.  I kept telling myself it is only temporary.   

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2012

Caitlin, it sucks, but you''ll come out the other side. Just put your head down and get through it. Get it behind you. The 4 AC's are the worst, get them out of the way and it's all down hill from there. 

I am blushing. I never thought I would share naked pics, but it was sort of done for me... Thanks for the kind words. I guess you sort of need kind words after people evaluate your naked body!!!!! ha!

Somebody asked about the incisions on the butt. That's a GAP. The "body lift" does both DIEP and GAP, and at least for me, the incision goes all the way around, which I suppose allows a "lift". 

Welome TeddyBear!!! (love the name!) 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2012

Happy Birthday Michelle

CaitlinB,  so sorry you are having a rough time.  I did the same thing as you....took the bull by the horns and I controlled when my hair came out.  The day I got home from having it shaved my husband got in the car and had his shaved.  He grew a goatee and looked like a badass. I hope that the chemo goes easy for you.  Mine did. I even gained weight during.  No nausea.  Just very tired.  Listen to your body.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Before you know it you'll be through with stage II. Healing hugs are being sent your way. I'll be happy to be part of the Irish Brigade!

Hello Adey,  hope you are all settled in at home and feeling better each day. Jamie 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2012

Spring.. I guess their stats are thru 2010, so my stats aren't in there... and I did not sign off on them using my pics... I have come a long way since that modest decision... If you hadn't told us it was you, no one would know... so no need for blushing!!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Had my pre op with Dr. M. I was hoping she would tell me that it was going to be a stage two even though I knew better. I will be having a baby flap. So I now will join you diep girls too. So I will have a scar all around too. Boo hoo.

Caitlin, I will be finding some green panties in honor of you!

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Michelle... I may need a baby flap too, but have already used front and back... so what's next? Lat? I am very curious to hear what Dr D says in the fall...

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2012

Hi Cascader

Many women have mentioned the Leacho pillow and that it was a great help to them to be able to sleep in a recliner and they continued to use it when they transferred to their bed. I am thinking of buying the Leacho Snoogle Total Body Pillow, I am hoping some other women would chime in and let me know if this is the best one to get or the or if the Snoogle Loop is better.  I plan to ask ladies on FORCE too. I'll let you know though.

Sending prayers to Michelle today!!

@ Caitlin, I am praying for you and I will find some green panties to wear :)

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2012

Thank you Springtime........I checked out your pictures , you look great. I can not wait until my incision scars look as good as yours.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited March 2012

Green underwear it is, Caitlin! Hang in there ...

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2012

Chelle - i love, love, love my leacho - got it for surgery about a year ago and I STILL sleep with it every night even though I'm pretty much totally recovered.  This is the one I got - http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Snoogle-Total-Body-Pillow/dp/B0000635WI - i heard good things about the Back and Belly one too but I read it was huge and takes up more than half of a king sized bed (and thus makes husbands, etc. angry!)  It looks like the Loop on is new - gets good reviews but maybe isn't as tried and tested as the total body - total body also has more slip cover options.  Anyways, well worth the investment IMO

Woohoo Teddybear - you are on your way!  I'm 7 months post op and the scars are looking better and better...hang in there, it will happen!

Thinking of you today Michelle - best of luck!  And FightLikeAGirl - you're up soon!

Caitlin - we're all with you...I'm going to buy some green underwear now...{{{hugs}}}

• Springtime
    edited March 2012

For those of you with scar worries, or scars all around... My scars are now thin little white lines and some I can hardly see. Those pics were a while ago!

I remember when mine were red and angry, and Minnesota posted pics showing these barely noticable scars. I was like, WOW. I did get there! Some don't scar as well, but you should know by now if that is you. 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited March 2012

Thank you Dana!! I am thinking this will be a good investment for me too.  Even after the surgery when I am finally able to sleep on my side, I tend to sleep better with a pillow between my knees and this seems perfect for that too. 

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2012

Hey Need2New - we're going to be in NOLA at the same time. Your stage 2 is on the 9th and mine is on the 11th. I'll be flying in on the 9th solo. I hope we can at least say hi while we're there.

How soon after stage 1 did you all start itching where it's numb? I know it's a good sign so I'm trying not to be annoyed.  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2012

Caitlin, count me in on the green undies. I will have to buy a pair!

Eva, it has been so long, I can't remember the itching!!! I am glad you are doing well, though!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2012

Michelle i hope all is gping well today

• CaitlinB
    edited March 2012

Hi Ladies,

I get my port installed on Monday-ugh.  Not looking forward to that.  I have heard it's uncomfortable and difficult to get used to, but necessary as my veins are crap!  :P

• CaitlinB
    edited March 2012

Thanks for all the love!

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2012

Jeskachi - I am in the same boat with Chelle - stage 1 June 5th and am trying to buy some supplies in advance.  How much bigger than your regular size did you go up when ordering?

Caitlin B - Green undies it is!  I also planned for the hair loss.  I had long hair so I bought a short wig, took it to my stylist and had her cut my hair like it.  When I switched to the wig, no one knew the difference.  For me, losing the hair was the worst part of chemo.  Hang in there and it is okay to cry, feel sorry for yourself and have a little pity party.  The upside was I didn't cook once while going through chemo.  Friends brought lots of food!

Momma2four - Sorry to hear about the baby flap.  Hope all went well.  Praying for you.

Ksue

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Ksue... I advise not to buy too much stuff beforehand... especially sizing things unless its the panty size.... Is this the panty question??? I am usually a size 6 and bought the next size up and a style a little higher than what I normally buy... After surgery, I wore the panties over the girdle, so I knew they needed to be bigger...but for example buying girdles like the marena girdle, there is no way to know what size you'll be til you need it.. and they ship in like 2 days... This would be true for bras and camisoles as well... I think the only things I bought ahead of time were lounge pants/shorts and granny panties... I didn't buy any special shirts and didn't need them...

Caitlin... I will think of you on your chemo days... you will get through. The hair loss was the hardest part for me too, but I now have a lot of hair at 10 months PFC...just had another trim the other day.

Michelle... thinking of you!!

• Springtime
    edited March 2012

Cherrie, I updated your Aug 17 surgery.

Caitlin, I don't have green undies! I too will have to buy a pair! Nordy, let me know if you find some!

Hey Caitlin, I had a friend who *loved* her port so much she cried when they finally took it out and she keeps it in her JEWLERY BOX!!! (can you imagine!!!)  I hated mine, but maybe you will have the love thing going on!!  

Go Michelle!!! And FLAG coming up!

Mar 21 - Mamma2Four (Michelle) - Stage 1B with Dr. Marga, NOLA. 

Mar 23 - FightLikeAGirl - Fairway Stage 1 DIEP with Dr. Marga and Dr. Sullivan. 

A 

I can't believe PFC is still going on! That was one of those things that really stuck! 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2012

Ksue- I didn't actually buy the camis, I got them in Charleston where I had my SGAP. But they weren't oversized, more like a tank top. I ended up wearing the Large more than the XL because it fit better under my clothes and it felt like it gave me a little extra support.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited March 2012

Thinking of Michelle and Fightlikeagirl. We will all be anxious to hear from them.

Caitlin-green panties it is

Springtime- your pictures are amazing-it is wonderful of you to share.

I am really listening to those who are "packing" and all the suggestions. Boy those camisoles and pillows are pricey but I am sure they are worth to. I would love to hear what was great to have.(pillow, camisole, silky PJ's, granny panties, .....

• bdavis
    edited March 2012

Speaking of expensive... I got out of the hospital and loved the Homewood Suites... but when I went home, I realized I really needed a new mattress... it was just too firm. So I bought a new king bed and had it delivered like 3 days after I got home...

Cherrie... I just wouldn't buy a bunch of stuff... the doctors will send you home with a lot of stuff... and as you need it, you can get it, like camisoles etc... you may find you don't need stuff... The only thing you really need are pants or shorts that will fit without putting pressure on your waist.. so lounge pants or yoga pants, something really loose and soft. Other than that I would hold off... I never bought fancy pillows or camisoles, and didn't feel the need. If someone can loan you something, that is great... and I already owned a wedge pillow (from an old ankle surgery for my husband...) and I did find that helpful, but if I hadn't already owned it, I would have just used pillows. I only needed it for a week or two.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2012

Sometimes "nesting" can be therapeutic, and I subconsciously knew I was doing that. But I would agree with Betsy, you won't need to buy much, and you'll have plenty of time to do it if you decide later that you do. I feel like it gave me a sense of a little more control over this crazy situation where I didn't have much control, But I didn't end up using everything, even after 2 stage 1s.

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Hey all, was doing good but now bleeding very bad from donor site. Dr. M is taking back in surgery too find

• Fight-like-a-girl
    Fight-like-a-girl Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2012

Momma2four, I am so sorry about the bleeding. I am sure Dr M will fix it. Are you doing better? I just goy

T settled at Homewood suites in Covington. I will be at the center tomorrow at 4-5 ish. Hope I cam see you then. Forgot phone charger - duh Kathy