Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bluepeony
    bluepeony Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012

Thanks so much to all of you and your kind replies! I will try my PC.  . .hopefully he will be willing to be my helper doctor.

So great to "meet" all of you and read your stories. It's a crazy journey sometimes and so it's especially nice to have people to travel with!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited June 2012

Blue-  Maybe momma2four could direct you to a doc that would help if PC doesn't work out.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

Hello all, just wanted to check in. I think it's about 24 hours post surgery. I'm still in a fog from anesthesia and paIn meds. Surgery went well. The farthest I've walked is across the room today; very sore abs and breasts.

I heard that KSue is having a bit of nausea. Hope she's up soon!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited June 2012

Jenlee - nice to see you're up a bit already, hoping you get to see KSue soon.

I got my Stage 1 patient packet from the Center yesterday -- by email. It makes me feel a little more like I'm on my way, even though not until July 17. Hey, do we know of anyone else on this thread who will overlap times with me? Looks lonesome so far. DH & I will be staying at Hope Lodge, and my post-op is at 6 days, not 7. Is it likely that any drains will be come out by then? From my consult with Dr. S 3 weeks ago, it looks like I'll have DIEP, but maybe add hip if needed. I'm trying to take off a few lbs of treatment weight before I go.

With all this on my mind, and a year of Herceptin ending in 12 days, up crops the toenail side effect again. The nails keep getting infected and ingrown because chemo caused a deformity. Podiatrist trimmed them way back again, but Monday I will have the in-office procedure to cut a sliver down the entire side of each big toenail (with local anesthesia), thus eliminating any future ingrowing. Better to get this taken care of now instead of presenting in NOLA! Anyone else experience this?

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Nice to hear from you jenlee, happy it went well. I go in tomorrow, just one more preop today with dr Kline for all my markings. Continued healing to you all!

• Starfyre
    Starfyre Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2012

After talking with two different PS locally and with the crew at NOLA I have finally decided on NOLA.  Not much of a choice.  I believe I need a stacked DIEP after my UMX.  The doctors I saw in So Cal would not do that.  I would have had to be asymetrical.  So NOLA it is!  YayD!  I have been assigned to Dr Sullivan and to go to Fairway Hospital.  Is Fairway different from the usual place they use?  I have not heard it mentioned except to see it once on the list above. 

I have been given June 29th as my operation date.  I am just starting to get everything ready as I will be away on vacation in a week.   I am reading the old posts so I will know what to bring and do afterwards.  I am wondering about the recliner.  Will a bed be really painful/difficult after DIEP?

Thanks for all your posts.  It makes me not feel so alone.   

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies, I have been sleeping a lot today as I didn't get much rest in the hospital.

As for my new girls, they look great from what I can tell. They are hot to the touch and I mentioned that to the nurse, but she said it fine. It like radiating heat...but I will have Dr . D look tomorrow.

I'm bigger than I want, but I know a lot is swelling :-) and I know it's easier to take away than to add.

I will stop in and see Jenifer and Karen when I go in tomorrow if they are up for visitors.

The pillow I bought has been wonderful so far!!! So glad I bought it!!!

I'm going to go lay down again, buy hope everyone is dojng well and I am hope Karen is feeling better as I was in her shoes for a good 2-3 days after surgery.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Jannelle... Fairway is not conencted to the Center.. SCSH is literally connected.. so most surgeries take place there, but if insurance is an issue, Fairway is the other hospital they operate out of... These doctors are so fastidious that if it weren't great, they wouldn't use it.... so no worries.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Michelle, so glad you are out of the hospital and getting some rest!  

• Starfyre
    edited June 2012

Thanks Betsy! I have started to feel worried again after being assigned to a hospital and BS I had not heard about previously. Has anyone had dr Lagarde before?

Thanks

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Great to hear you're getting more rest, Michelle. My new girls were quite hot at first too - radiating heat. I kept asking about it. And they were too big too. No worries! I posted pictures of mine the other day on the FORCE post-mastectomy gallery if you want to see how it all works out a couple weeks post stage 2. And it's only been a couple weeks.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jannelle... There are three BS (Stolier, Lagarde and Gray)... I believe Dr Stolier and Lagarde are employed by the Center. Again, the doctors would not allow any BS they didn't trust 100% into their ORs... I have heard good things about Dr Lagarde...I am sure someone will chime in... I was originally booked with her but I traveled to NOLA for a consult a couple of months before my surgery and she wasn't going to be in town, so I switched to Dr Stolier... they are all very competent.

• lastar
    edited June 2012

Eva, I saw your photos and you look fantastic!  Very inspiring to see as my date looms close.  I'm following your lead and getting boudoir photos tomorrow.  

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Eva.. where are they?? On Force? Do I need to ask to see them?

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies - just wanted to give an update. I had my post-op appointment this morning and Dr. Dellacroce pulled three of four drains! I couldn't believe it. I was so hoping for the two breast drains, but one hip drain felt like a huge bonus! And If others are wondering, getting them Pulled did not hurt at all. Dr. D was great, as was Dr. Stolier, who also discussed my pathology report. The cancer was 2cm exactly, with clear margins. There was lobular hyperplasia in my prophy breast (which he thinks would have been cleared up anyway with the inevitable tamoxifen). It was also low grade, so this all means grade 1, stage 1. It's so weird how I've been waiting and wondering and anticipating all that information since late March... And now we know. It's good news, yes?! All's left is the oncotype test results to determine whether I have chemo or not. Should know in 2 weeks. Whew!

And now I get to focus on going home and healing from the amazing work of our docs. Honestly, I could not have gotten through all of this without you ladies. This thread has been the most helpful and hopeful that I participate in - I suppose because it is focused on "restoration." :)

I also wanted to tell you that I saw both Ksue and Jenlee today. Ksue, as you know, was dealing with nausea this morning, but she looked good and things seemed to be improving. Jenlee was so alert and full of energy - way more than I was a day after surgery! I'm sure they'll both be cruising the hallways in no time! Much love and healing to you both.

So tomorrow I fly home - how surreal. I felt teary at my appointments with the docs today - so grateful. I actually felt relieved when I realized this wouldn't be the last time I'd see them! How weird is that!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jen.. Not weird at all... I felt the same way. There is a comfort with them, and it has consumed you for so long.. so for it to be coming to a close (for phase I) it is not abnormal to feel sad you are leaving them and look forward to the next visit... Your pathology is great... Yay for you!!! And you lost a hip drain already?? Jealous.

Ksue and Jenifer... thinking of you... 

Jenifer... It seems like yesterday when we spoke on the phone and there you are all done... It is everything I said, yes?

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Here's the FORCE gallery: http://www.facingourrisk.org/support/post-mastectomy-photo-gallery.php 

You have to request access.

Jen, so glad to see you happy! That's amazing about the drains! I had my hip drains for over six weeks! Even after stage 2 I had them for most of two weeks. 

LAstar, good for you to get the boudoir photos. You won't be sorry! 

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Oh.. so today I am going into Zumba and started talking to a woman who is in chemo.. I quickly mentioned something about recon and no implants... in class, she was behind me in Zumba and during a brief break, asked if we could talk after. So, she had been watching me and wondering where my scars were... She had been offered a lat flap so was looking for my lat flap scars... Long story short, there I am in the gym, pulling my pants low enough to show part of my scar... by the time I left, I had handed out Dr Dellacroce's info to a couple of women.

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

Betsy - that is so great!! Great that you are dancing your butt off

In Zumba - and great that you took the time to stear these women towards the best!

And clarification - in my last post i accidentally called my ab drains 'hip' drains - I think because they are so close to my hip bones! I ended up having the DIEP. Big respect to you girls who had actual hip drains for 6 weeks+!!

• lastar
    edited June 2012
    Congrats on your great path report, Jen!  Losing a hip drain after a week is pretty amazing, isn't it?  They told me to expect to have them 5 to 7 weeks.  I love that you love the doctors --that is so encouraging.  How much are you able to be up and around after a week?
  • Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

LAstar, today I was up and about from 9-5 - but I sat and rested a lot! We went to the Center, to the French quarter and back to he garden district for an early dinner. The most pain I have is in my back from being hunched over. The pain meds seem to do nothing for that!

(and see my correction above - they were abdomen drains from the DIEP, not hip drains. :)

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jen.. That is where I had pain, and Flexerall seemed to help or 800mg of ibuprofen... try that for the back. So where did you go to eat?? And losing a drain is a good thing either way, but it does make me feel better that it was a DIEP drain and not a hip drain. So DIEP after all...this is a good thing??

• lastar
    edited June 2012

I am just really so blown away that you could do so much a week after this surgery!  

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

Betsy - I will def try the ibuprofen. In fact, I need to move off the narcotic, I think. I rotate between tordal and lorraine every 4-6 hours. I'm not sure how to back off/down. I'll need to consult with the center, as I think it's too early for ibuprofen and it's blood thinning properties.

We ate at Superior Seafood, which I thought was quite good. Also Superior Grill for Mexican. I ate THREE times at this little Vietnamese joint for lunch about 2 blocks from the clarion boutique. They served pho - with lots of veggies which was SO refreshing after all the heavy n'awlins cuisine! (my dad was here with me pre-op and is not a foodie so I didn't really get to eat as well as I would have liked!)

• Starfyre
    edited June 2012

Betsy, thanks for the reassurance about the hospital and Dr. Lagarde.  I will relax.  I know I will be in good hands.  Awsome about the Zumba class! 

I have found such great info on this thread.  Thanks everyone for sharing your recovery and surgery process.  It really helps those who come after you.    When I get anxious I like to use my time to prepare myself for the next step.  Also, hopfully I will only be doing this once so I want to get it right.  Being directed to NOLA was a huge part of feeling I am doing it right.

I am thinking about all of you as you recover and prepare on this part of your journey. 

• Esmerelda
    edited June 2012

LAstar - I moved slowly and sat down frequently for as long as I needed throughout the day. And I did hit a wall at the end - and really, really wanted to lay down. I probably pushed it a little too much.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jen.. I went off narcotics cold turkey one week post surgery. And I started taking 800mg of ibuprofen then. It felt so much better... the narcs were making me too loopy and a little nauseous. And its great to get out and about, but don't overdo...

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited June 2012

Ladies - article about lymphadema in this publication.

The summer issue of MSKCC newsletter-Bridges- for cancer survivors is out.
    here is the link
    http://www.mskcc.org/sites/www.mskcc.org/files/node/4333/documents/summer-2012.pdf

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Chelle, what pillow did u get again? I llooked at bed bath beyond today but didn't see anything too special. My surgery is in the morn( why am I s till awake?). Goodnight y'all!

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2012

Jannelle-I was actually a patience of Dr. Lagarde's. She found my breast cancer and referred me to CRBS in Nola. I love her she's great. Your in the best hands possible.