Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2012

Katiejane- I stayed 3 nights for Stage 1 and 1 night for Stage 2.  I could have stayed longer with both but it was a goal I set for myself something to aim for.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2012

Made it to NOLA.  We are settled in at the Hope Lodge.  Preop appts are in the morning.  I brought black undies and bra to wear tomorrow.  Will the marker also get on clothing or just underclothes? 

Chelle - I will try to stop in between or after appts tomorrow.  Hope you are getting stronger!

• patience62
    patience62 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2012

Hi Ladies,

I am new to this and just trying to figure out what is best for me if my second opinion also says that I should have a BMX and reconstruction. I am currently scheduled for this BMX with implants here in Indy on June 18th.  I am trying to learn more about hip flap reconstruction and would like to know what happens if they do this procedure immediately after BMX and then the pathology warrants radiation treatments.  Doesn't that destroy the new tissue that has been placed in my chest?  Anybody have any experience?  I am hopeful that I can avoid implants and use my own tissue.  Can my own tissue last the rest of my life?

Thanks wonderful women.  I hope I can add a date to this thread soon.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2012

I am also in New Orleans now for my consultation appointment with Dr. DellaCroce tomorrow morning. I am hopeful to hear of some solution to the pain and appearance of the implant reconstruction I had 7 months ago. The pain in my right side cannot continue.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2012

I am also in New Orleans now for my consultation appointment with Dr. DellaCroce tomorrow morning. I am hopeful to hear of some solution to the pain and appearance of the implant reconstruction I had 7 months ago. The pain in my right side cannot continue.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

You will LOVE Dr D...

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2012

Spring - I hope that you are surrounded by family as you come to terms with the loss of your mother.

• dsnydawn
    dsnydawn Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2012

Patience   I hope I can help ...quick back story on me...I was diag 3/11 and had lumpectomy with sential node biopsy 4/11 (they only got 2 nodes which were positive)  2 days later got call that another area had more cancer and would need mastectomy....so decided on diep, but still would have to have more lymph nodes taken (Dr Stollier went through breast at time of mastectomy) but I wouldn't know if I needed rads until that pathology came back...Dr Dellacroce decided that he would put extra tissue along the side of my breast (like where you bra goes around your body) it's annoying like having a small pillow.. so total of 16 lymph nodes (3 positive) so I ended up doing chemo (6/11 - 9/11) and than started rads 11/11 (28 treatments) did great as far a skin until last week and then I was really cooked (but not much pain..maybe because of diep and loss of feeling in breast??)  so now during stage 2 (which I have put off until this sept, so I can enjoy my summer) Dr Dellacroce will remove extra tissue and recreate my nipple on cancer side and tune up what ever else he sees...sorry so long but didn't want to leave anything out and Betsy told me that you might message me and I'm going to bed, but wanted to give you an answer...if you have any questions plz contact me and I will tell you what my experiences was..I know we are all different ,but sometimes it is nice to hear other stories, so you have an idea of what questions to ask & hopefully what to expect.... I totally agree with Betsy..............you'll Love Dr D

Spring  I'm so sorry about your Mom...I will be thinking and praying for you and your family during this time

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

Left home early this morning, dropped my daughter off at a friend's and headed to the airport. Can't believe I'll be away from her for so long. I told my husband I didn't want to go to Nola, too nervous about every aspect of this. Good thing he didn't listen to me or i wouldn't be here now. So much anxiety - Tuesday is looming ahead and it feels very surreal. I haven't slept much for the past few nights. Hubby tried to distract me with a nice dinner at Emerils Delmonico. Should have realized it was a steakhouse and I don't eat meat. Still, the barbecued shrimp and cinnamon beignets were amazing. Now, back to reality, but hopefully not another sleepless night before pre-ops tomorrow. If i hadn't found this thread (and the DIEP thread), i would have had BMX and TE's two weeks ago, which i didn't want, but this path seemed harder. My inspiration is all of you who have done this and are happy with your choice. I have to keep reminding myself of that. Hope to meet up with you other ladies tomorrow!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

Jenifer, it is a harder path, but something in you told you it is the right path for you. Don't underestimate your instinct. You are just as strong as any of us here and are inspiring someone else with each post. Do whatever you need to relax. Get something from Dr S whether you think you'll take it or not. I was put at ease once I got busy at the Center with all the preops.

Patience, have you sent your info to the Center?

Ksue, the marker could get on clothes, but I never had any problems with stains.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Chelle, thinking of you.I am at the airport hotel, leaving for Charleston early tomorrow am. Anxious and tearful.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited June 2012

Spring, so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I lost mine 5 days after my diagnosis. Even without the cancer, it is a very hard adjustment. Thoughts and prayers with you and the family ...

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2012

Spring so very sorry to hear about your mother - good thoughts coming your way. 

Fellow NOLA vets - scheduling travel plans for my July surgery and am getting grief as my caregiver is not flying home with me - she's taking me to the airport then going on another flight then my husband is picking me up on the other end.  I'll get a wheelchair in the interim - I thought this was okay and other people had done this - I can't see the big deal and the cost to fly someone back to San Francisco with me is insanely high.  Thoughts?

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2012

confidential to Dana: sometimes creative truth-stretching is in order :)

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Dana, can you arrange with your airline for extra help?

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2012

LAstar - yes I did that already, asked for a wheelchair on both ends and paid to upgrade to 1st class (frequent flyer miles!) so I'll have extra attention - will check bags and my caregiver will drop me off at the gate before getting on her flight - on the other end I'll get a wheelchair and my husband will meet me outside of security - I think this is fine and am confortable doing it given how my last 2 flights home after surgery went.  However it sounds like the center requires your caregiver to go home on the same flight with you.  Yes, might need to get "creative" Jeskachi!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited June 2012

Spring, Praying for you and your mom.  

My dermatologist appt went well this morning.  Will follow up in six months on a mole, just to be sure, but I really feel like it is nothing.  It was well, fun, actually to see the look on the M.D.'s & the assistant's face when they saw the Center's stage 1 reconstruction when they did the whole body check bit.  They were very impressed with Dr. D's breast recon skill and the dermatologist was super impressed with my scars as well.  NOLA is awesome. 

Wishing you all a good day! 

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Dana... I agree with Jeskachi... They have a liability issue, so they will tell you that you need someone... if they said it was ok to fly alone and then something happened, they could be sued, so they will tell you what to do... beyond that, it is your decision... IMO.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

There's a post-mastectomy photo gallery on the FORCE website and I took a couple of pix today to upload there. It's password protected and you have to sign up, including making a statement about why you want access to the gallery, so it's private. The pictures aren't posted yet, but in doing it I looked at the before pix I took for NOLA for the first time. I am amazed by the difference. I knew they'd improved my silhouette, but I didn't realize how much! I'm so happy with Dr. D's beautiful work. I'm just 3.5 weeks past revisions and it already looks so pretty. Scars and all.

There are a couple of BRCA groups on facebook and women often ask about what kind of reconstruction they should get. I try to let them know about NOLA, but it seems like the implant people dominate and are frequently passionate about their results/process. I find it hard to be as glowing as I really want to be - I don't want to make it into another version of the mommy wars. I refer people to Kathy Steligo's book and talk about how there's pluses and minuses with every procedure, blah blah blah. And there certainly are some minuses to flap reconstruction. But honestly, in terms of results, I've looked at a LOT of pictures of every kind of reconstruction and I have yet to see a picture of implants that looks anywhere near as natural. I wish every woman could have flap reconstruction. (I don't want to piss anyone off, but I know I can gush here)

Best of luck tomorrw, Jenlee and Ksue! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2012

SPRING SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSE. MAY KNOWING SHE IS IN A BETTER PLACE BE OF SOME COMFORT.

LEAVING FOR NOLA IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS, AMY WHERE ARE YOU STAYING? WE ARE AT PRINCE CONTI ON 6-17 AND THEN FRENCH MARKET INN ON 6-20-22. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL LONGER THAN SCHEDULED SO I ONLY MADE RESERVATIONS BEGINNING 6-20. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU WHILE WE ARE THERE. 

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2012

Eva - thanks for the good wishes!

Tomorrow will be here soon!  Preop went well today.  I have my beautiful markings.  I am nervous but am confident that I am at the best facility with the best doctors.

I visited with Chelle today after my preop appt.  She wanted me to let everyone know that she is doing well.  She is not able to use her computer at this time.  Her vision is blurry.  She needed a blood transfusion and her levels are now back to normal.  She will be staying an additional night in the hospital.  She had her first shower today and really enjoyed it!

I also met Jenlee in the hallway.  We had a quick visit.  She is also a go for tomorrow.  Send positive energy our way.  I am scheduled to start at 7 and she is scheduled to start at 9.  Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Good Luck ladies... I will be thinking of you!!!!

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Jenlee and Ksue - I'll be praying tonight and tomorrow for you both. I know everything is going to go so well for you both. If I had any advice it would be to get on top of the pain by adhering to the pain meds, ask for Xanax if you feel anxious or agitated (I did at night, for whatever reason) and allow yourself to cry if needed.

I keep remembering what Tamara (Jane123) told me - that the first three weeks are the hardest. I'm keeping that in mind as a goal because I definitely have had my tough moments.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited June 2012

Good luck tomorrow JenLee and KSue!  You are in the best hands.

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

Ksue and Jenlee.......healing hugs and prayers.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Hey y'all - I just noticed I have a new huge bruise on the outside and underside of one breast (my first). This is normal, right? I'm five days out from surgery. Thanks!!

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Jen, you might want to call the center. It may be normal for bruising to continue to show up for some time, but it could also be something bleeding, right? I don't mean to be alarmist, but reassurance is just a call away. Fingers crossed for you.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Jen.. I agree with Eva... It is probably nothing, but you are there and the doctors are there... and if you are worried about something, you should call them, even call tonight. I have called at this time of night and the doctor called right back. It can really help you not worry and sleep.

• patience62
    patience62 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2012

Dawn, Thanks for your response.  So if the pathology report is bad do you use a doctor at home for radiation and chemo treatments or doctors at NOLA.  I would have a different BS at NOLA and one of their PSs correct?  Can they communicate effectively with my oncologists at home?  How does it all work and can it work?  I have had a very difficult time getting a second opinion here because two different hospital systems are involved and they seem to be very territorial.  It is soooo irritating.  I am expecting the same working with a group in New Orleans.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I need help understanding what stage II and Stage IIB might be.  Are there descriptions of this on the NOLA website?  If all goes well how many times will I need to travel to NOLA?

thanks ladies.

So many questions.  Sorry.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I can jump in here... So, you'd have stage I and then go home and have radiation, chemo etc... and yes the doctors would communicate as necessary... then after you heal from radiation (assuming you need rads) you would return to NOLA for revisions (stage II)... and hopefully thats it... but some people return for another round of revisions... it depends on how picky you are, but stage IIb or IIc would be voluntary. So if all goes well, you have two trips with at least three months between them, assuming you don't need rads or chemo... if you need rads and chemo, you will probably have more than a year between stages.

So... yes, you would have a NOLA BS and PS and your RO (radiation onc) and MO (medical onc) would be at home.