Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited June 2012

Jen, Yes to what Betsy said for me, too.  I was off narcotics after the first week and was on 400 mg Ibuprofen as directed. I sipped a small amount of prune juice each day and tried to straighten up a little by little.  Eating small, frequent, high protein foods helped.  I also did the arm exercises they showed me to reduce the arm tingling.  Visualize your healing, you are doing GREAT!

I had Dr. Gray for my mast. He has privileges at SCSH and bills through the Center.  I really liked him as he good naturedly promised to take good care of my nipples during the surgery which eased my mind.  And he did - they are healthy. 

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

About where to sleep after DIEP: I slept in my bed. I was so paranoid I had hubby buy a cheap recliner. I was happy to sit in it a bit, but I could not sleep in it. I wanted my room, my bed. I just used a bunch of pillows: under my knees, wedged on my sides with arms on top, and a few to prop my head/back up. A great nest of pillows!

It's great to see so many posts. I'm getting excited about my road trip to NOLA Sunday for my consult (which I think as my look/see) on Monday. I just confirmed I'll be at Hope Lodge.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Paula.. what's your consult for?? I am sure you have said but I can't remember.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited June 2012

Just want to be prepared for 2B in Sept. A portion of my breast is quite firm, around the area where the seroma was. Dr S will remove the seroma capsule (or whatever it's called) in Sept, but how much is that and then what will replace, etc. the consult will ease my mind for the summer and I'll have a better idea of what to expect.

• Starfyre
    Starfyre Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2012

Sherry, thanks for the info on Dr. L.  That makes me feel better.  It is kinda strange to show up and get operated on by someone I will not have met before.  Leap of faith.  Your info makes me feel more comfortable.  Thanks.

Paula, I love the nest of pillows.  I think I will try that instead of buying a recliner.  I don't know where I could fit it in anyways.  My house is kinda small. 

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2012

Hey all June ladies, I just got confirmed for the Hope Lodge for June 18-19 (surgery 6/20), may see some of you there.  I'll be the blonde with the cane! 

Edited to add....Just booked Homewood Suites for after surgery 6/25-28 

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Janelle, we rented a recliner. It was like $70 for a full month and it was a real lifesaver for me and not a huge commitment if I didn't like it. But turned out I slept really well in it. Not only that, but I was up a lot at odd hours and if I had been in my own bed I would have disturbed my husband's sleep. As it was, if I was awake at 3 am, I could have a light on, read or watch tv or use my laptop freely. 

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2012

Glostagirl, my hubs & I will get to the hope lodge at about 8pm on the 18th. I'll be the lady with the good looking guy. ;-) i hope to meet you!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2012

Janelle- Dr. LaGarde performed my bilateral mastectomies. I love the fact that she does her own breast ultrasound prior to surgery. She's extremely thorough. I think that she's so amazing that instead of doing follow-up with my BS in DC, I follow-up with Dr. LaGarde! I had a pre-op appointment with her the day before my surgery too.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2012

Janelle- I had stage one at Fairway. I think the only reason they use Fairway is when there are issues with the insurance co paying the hospitalization at SCSH-that was the case for me. Anyway, I got great care there and was pleased with the experience! I hear that Dr S lives in that neck of the woods so if someone goes there they prefer to have Dr s do the surgery. Amy

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Sorry, cascader I've been kinda out of it and can only log in from my phone. It's the snoogle total body pillow. It's been wonderful for me.

Got my path back today and to make a long story short, I made the right decision :-)

Only lost 1 drain :-( but it's all good.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2012

I'm very pleased to have passed my stress echo with perfect heart health! One step closer and the little bit of progress feels pretty swell. I had to run on the treadmill before my heart rate would climb where they needed it.  The walking on the incline just wouldn't budge it above the 120 range. Getting all of the other tests done at the local outpatient center tomorrow after work.  They are "walk in" with no appointment necessary and are open until midnight.

JenLee and KSue, wishes for strength and speedy recovery to you both. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Paula.. I am doing the same thing... consult Oct 29 for a January surgery.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2012

Anita,            Congrats. on passing you stress echo!!!! I passed mine today with flying colors too!!!  It took my heart rate quite a while to get to the 139 they required.  Actually kind of surprised me!  I had a Doppler duplex on both arms(bilateral LE) and a chest-ray as well.  Yesterday was all of the blood work and the EKG.  Only 1 more test to go and that is the PET next Thursday!!!!  Having all of this testing behind me now makes me realize how close surgery really is-it always seemed so far in the future!!  I am both excited and nervous and I have started waking up between 0530 and 0600 with alittle anxiety even on the days I don't work-- UGH!!!!!!  I guess this is normal???  Good luck with the rest of your testing!!

Katiejane

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2012

Great news katiejane and thanks for sharing your anxiety woes. I have the same trouble except I can't fall asleep until I have tossed and turned for hours. It is nuts. Good luck to you as well. Reaching the other side is within our grasp pretty soon. I might run into you at my post op appt on July 3rd.

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2012

Katiejane and Anita, great news on the tests!! The tests are a little stressful. All I have left is lab work. I was worried about the tests because I can't wait for the procedure. I have been waiting since March to get a surgery date with Dr. M. Countdown has begun....

• Dana25
    edited June 2012

Katiejane...this just happened to me. I am going to have to clear it up with Cigna. Frustrating....

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

Anita and Dana,   I think we will be in NOLA in the same time frame just at different steps in our stage 1!!!  I really hope we atleast get to visit with each other!!!  Dana,  Have you been approved by Sedgewick for your FMLA/Short term disability?  

Anita,  My pre-op appointment is on the 3rd so I will look for you!!!  I just hope our anxiety levels stay very low!!!!  We are almost there ladies!!!

• Dana25
    edited June 2012

I think we are staying at the same place. I would love to visit with each other!!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited June 2012

KatieJane- Are these tests required prior to surgery in NOLA?

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

KerryA,   These are the tests that Dr. Massey required for me.  I really don't know what The Center requires but surgeons usually order the standard EKG, blood work, and chest x-ray.  The PET is to make sure we are disease free before taking on such a big surgery and the Doppler was to look for DVT's in my arms(I have lymphedema/swelling).  The Stress echo is to make sure there are no cardiac risks.  I believe on our pre-op day, there will be another blood panel drawn and maybe a CT-A scan.  I also believe these test are customized to you, the pt, depending on your history.  Hope this helps.

katiejane

• Katiejane
    edited June 2012

Dana,  I will be at The Homewood Suites--you?   katiejane

• Dana25
    edited June 2012

Katiejane....Homewood Suites too. My hubby wanted a pool. : )

• Starfyre
    Starfyre Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2012

Eva: I am thinking more and more about a recliner. I tried one out today at Costco that didn't have a lever. I am thinking that might be too hard to maneuver if I am feeling sore post surgery. Maybe I will just rent one. You got a great price. I will continue looking

TooMuch: I have not yet talked with Dr LaGarde but I am feeling much more comfortable with her after what you all are saying. I know I will be in good hands. I have to keep reminding myself to relax

Amy: I talked with Vickie and she said my insurance would not cover the center. I was ready to pay out of pocket the extra unroll she told me it would be $100,000. Gulp! Fairway here I come! I wish I could be with you all recovering at the center. Oh well

June 29th is coming up so fast. I am wondering how many days I should stay after surgery. Is it super hard to get on a plane right after post op? Maybe I should wait a couple of days more though I might just want to get home

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Janelle, I flew home right on the day they cleared me to go both times and it was fine. Even with having to change planes and make connections. It wasn't FUN but honestly, I couldn't wait to get home. DO arrange with the airline for a wheel chair at the airports. 

Getting home after seven hours of airplanes and airports to find our car had a dead battery was even less fun. But it was still sooooo good to get home. Even nice hotels are boring after a while. 

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Thanks. Chelle. Right now I Am in nest of pillows in the hosp bed but may need something for later. Hope ur doing well, better and better each day

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2012

Dana25 and Katiejean - what day are you both planning on leaving NOLA?  I'm arriving on 7/6 for my surgery on 7/10 - planning to leave on 7/13 - will also be at the Homewood and would love to meet up if you are still in town!

Regarding the recliner, I've heard a lot of people say it helped them.  We have one attached to our sofa that I tried to use after surgery and it was just not comfy for me.  I preferred the pillow nest for sure and will sing the praises of that leecho total body pillow - I still use it every night, love that thing!  I didn't have any trouble sleeping in my bed but seems like it's a highly individual thing... 

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

I am back in Atlanta and I am absolutely exhausted and I think every part of my body hurts between all the time I was up yesterday and flying home today. Has anyone else had severe swelling in their legs? It's really bad, but hoping it'll start to fade soon.

I love my leecho pillow and will sing it's praises too so far!!!

I hope everyone is healing and doing well!! Sending gentle hugs to all you as you definitely helped me get through a difficult time in my life!!

Chelle

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2012

Chelle: just keep walking.  The swelling is mostly likely from sitting on the plane.  I have to say, that was the most unpleasant part for me, so hard to be confined in a small seat with all those aches and pains.  Luckily no city is too far away from Chicago (or Atlanta ;) so the flights weren't terribly long.

Rest, walk, eat, walk... repeat!  I'm sure you'll feel much better soon.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2012

Hi everyone - I just got home and yesterday and it is SO good to be home, I slept in our rented recliner last night and it was pretty good. We'll need to figure out how to make it perfect for tonight with extra support pillows, etc.

My husband just asked me about what type of exercises I should be doing now... And I realized that I have no idea other than walking! I know Dr. Dellacroce mentioned very casually about some people practice walking their hands up the walls, etc., but he said it in such a breezy way that it didn't sound like he was saying it was necessary. I also didn't receive any instructions from the Center about upper body excercising, post stage I. But I really want to do whatever it takes to make everything good. I asked Dr. D. about physical therapy and he seemed to think that it wasn't necessary, and I know others of you swear by it. Help!!