Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Taderbug
    Taderbug Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012

Thanks, looks like it was added! I still have plenty of time before October....but I'm a "planner" any ideas on what type of clothes to take or have while recovering -staked diep, right side only? Thanks, Teresa

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone developed a rash on their flap(gap)only, I am one month post surgery. It is not itchy and very small pin sized, maybe slighty raised. Sent a picture to my doc and they thought it might be from the glue and to keep an eye on it. Anyone else experience this? I did a search and saw that MsSherryInFL had something, but could not find any post that resolved it. Maybe because it was so long ago I dont know. Hmmm...now what?

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone!!!  Well, I had my DIEP yesterday here in NOLA and after looking at the new "girls" I have to wonder why I waited so long to do this!! I have been strolling the halls and just taking it easy today.  It's kind of painful when you first stand up but as you move, it works out the kinks!

I just wanted to thank all of you for your kindness and support.  Without it, I'm not sure that I would be here today so thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!  And for the gals who will be coming to NOLA, you could not be in better hands!!!!   katiejane

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012

Good news Katiejane! Keep on healing!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Teresa... I have been to New Orleans... Lived there for 5 years (many years ago) and then was there 4x last year... I think I figured out I was in NOLA for 40 days in 2011...

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

You sound great, KatieJane!  Good for you!  Heal well and keep strolling!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited July 2012

Today I found out that I am not eligible for an Independent Review with my insurance company, after being told by the insurance company that I was. Not sure why they needed to take the full 30 days to notify me of that decision but in some way I'm just relieved to have a final answer from my insurance. They made their decision on 6/29 but I did not receive the letter until today so we have to wait until August to enroll onto my husband's plan.

While it is PPO plan, I am still concerned about getting approved to treat in NOLA. Maybe just being paranoid after dealing with my plan. For those with a PPO plan did you experience any hiccups with your plans to pay for Stage 1 or 2? I feel fortunate to even have another option by enrolling onto his plan so I'm trying to hold onto being optimistic!

On a separate note, I ran my first 10k on the 4th. My husband encouraged to sign up and I'm so glad I did. Really helped clear my mind for a few days. Never thought I could accomplish this type of goal.

KatieJane- I am so happy for you Smile You sound great! After talking with you a few months ago and then seeing your post today was GREAT.  Congrats on your journey to get to NOLA. It is inspiring to hear.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

Cascader...Re:MsSherryInFL and rash. She documents her saga with pics on the picture forum. Her rash got really "angry" looking and she ended up having 3 punch biopsies. Her post read ....

"No Cancer!!!!  YIPPEEEEE!!!  It is necrosis and some dilated vessels.  Also they said looks like damage skin due to radiation (which I never had) but had tanned in tanning beds before."

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012

Kerry, you might want to talk to the Nola insurance ladies about your husband's specific plan. I'm sure they've seen so many of the variations of plans from each company and might have an idea...

Katiejane, wow, you're up walking around already?! Good for you!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2012

I got to NOLA last night - the joint is jumping with the Essence festival...Homewood gave us black wristbands we need to wear to eat at the buffet and we need to show our room key at the door...I guess there are issues with people tying to get in that are not guests.  Last night someone was trying to get into our room at 3am, jimmying the door and such....I think it was just a drunk person at the wrong room but it scared the crap outta me for a bit...oh well...a couple of day of fun then pre-ops on Monday...not really nervous at all...guess I'm an old pro now!  Katiejane you sound great!  When are you released?  Anyone hear from the other Dana?  Florafarm where are you staying?

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

KerryA I have a PPO. The hospital is out of network for my plan and they agreed to accept the out of network benefit amount. They did all of the communication with my insurance company then called me to go over everything.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited July 2012

Dana- Enjoy some fun in NOLA. Hope you are staying cool. Here in Wisconsin it feels like we're experiencing some NOLA weather. Its been 100-105 for the last few days and very humid.  Before we know it we'll have snow here so no complaints here.

Anita- Thank you for the information. Patience is a virtue right?

Wishing healing thoughts for those on the board recovering and/or have upcoming procedures. Kudos again to this amazing support system!

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012

Denoument,I am staying at the Clarion Grand Boutique on St.Charles.Seems like a good location away from the craziness of downtown.My surgery is Monday.Maybe we can meet up.Katiejane, I am encouraged by how you are doing.Can you look me up before you are discharged?

Esther

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2012

Hi Everyone!! Got to Homewood last night after 3 nights at SCSH. The hotel very busy with a festival. Dr. M was able to get 2 nice ladies for me with doing stacked DIEP and without having a GAP from a previous colostomy surgery result from chemo. I do have that scar from the previous abd surgery on my left breast as a war wound!! The staff at the hospital is amazing. It is so reassuring to know you are in great hands! Thank you everyone for the amazing support on this board. Gentle hugs((())). Dana

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2012

Healing thoughts to all just going in and coming out. I have 5 weeks yet.

I am embarrassed to ask this........after stage 1 stacked DIEP.......have you lost weight or worn smaller clothes. Does this come later after stage 2??? I literally have no idea what to be prepared for. I still have my own breasts that look decent and am so worried. I hope this doesnt come off as being vain as I am thankful to have the choice to do this and not have to always look over my shoulder waiting for BC to come back.

Also, I am coming in the heat of August, 3 days before surgery. Are there things to do that are not a long distance from the Hotel Montleone and the H omewood suites? I know it will be too hot for outside events.

Working on getting a mind set.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Traderbug, there is a link above to a forum where "what to pack for NOLA" was discussed at length. See the link after "Packing for NOLA: A compulsive organizer prep for free flap surgery:"

Cascader, I did not get a rash on my flap. Has anyone else??

KatieJane, Great to hear from you! YOU SOUND FAB!!! Keep on healing! Keep on strolling! Lots of water!

Kerry A, I also had a PPO, the hospital was Out of Network, but they also accepted what the insurance paid for out of network, as Willy said. But I had reached my out of pocket max all the times I had surgery…not sure how that factors in.... But call, they'll figure it out. If you know the insurance, you can call now and maybe they can tell you ahead of time?

Sounds like you are having fun Deno!

Nice to hear from you Dana! Sounds like you are having a good experience…

Cherrie, I wore the same clothes, but found that after stage 1 my pants kept falling down (I had stacked DIEP/GAP or what they now call the body lift), and needed to wear a belt. It seemed to get better after stage 2. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Traderbug, there is a link above to a forum where "what to pack for NOLA" was discussed at length. See the link after "Packing for NOLA: A compulsive organizer prep for free flap surgery:"

Cascader, I did not get a rash on my flap. Has anyone else??

KatieJane, Great to hear from you! YOU SOUND FAB!!! Keep on healing! Keep on strolling! Lots of water!

Kerry A, I also had a PPO, the hospital was Out of Network, but they also accepted what the insurance paid for out of network, as Willy said. But I had reached my out of pocket max all the times I had surgery…not sure how that factors in.... But call, they'll figure it out. If you know the insurance, you can call now and maybe they can tell you ahead of time?

Sounds like you are having fun Deno!

Nice to hear from you Dana! Sounds like you are having a good experience…

Cherrie, I wore the same clothes, but found that after stage 1 my pants kept falling down (I had stacked DIEP/GAP or what they now call the body lift), and needed to wear a belt. It seemed to get better after stage 2. 

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2012

Cherrie,  I am post stage 1 stacked DIEP + hip flaps (4 months) and am the exact same size and weight.  I expected at least a net weight loss from the loss of my C breast tissue, but no!  I wear the same clothes, do the same things.  Maybe I will have a change after stage 2.  I was really satisfied with my body before surgery and this is part of the reason I went to NOLA - I wanted to be happy with my body after.   Just returned from a family reunion and hiked 4 out of 5 days 2 miles to the top of a butte - feel tired but happy and relatives were kindly complimentary.   An ob/gyn cousin wanted NOLA info!    Peace, Tamara  

• Iamblessed
    Iamblessed Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012

Has anyone here had their stage 2 surgery done with Medicare insurance? Thanks!

• Cherrie
    edited July 2012

Just looking over the"what to pack". I didn't know that was there. Does the hospital give you what you need in the way of first aide supplies? Does Homewood Suites have a recliner if you can't sleep on the bed?

What a great help that list was. Just wondering if everyone stuck to it or would change it in any way. Pretty much need to pack in the next 2 weeks as I am going on a camping vacation, son's wedding in the Upper Penninsulaof Michigan, and driving home and leaving the next day for NOLA. If I sound overwhelmed I am. Of course all the pre op stuff needs to be done too.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling. Getting nervous about getting it ALL done. I am sure this is normal. Thank goodness my husband is so caring and helpful.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2012

Cherrie, I'm in Kalamazoo and at some point we should plan a get together and talk about our NOLA experiences!

I made the mistake of buying and bringing with me a bunch of first aid supplies. But the hospital gave me everything I needed for the hotel stay recovery. At the post op appointment I asked for more ABD pads to use on the drain cites, which they did. I even had Jeanine mail me more of these pads about two weeks after I was home.

I have a tentative date for stage II ladies: October 24! Betsy, I see that you will be NOLA for a consult on the 29th and I would love to meet you, but I bet I'll be gone by then. :(

Jane123, any chance you wanna schedule your stage II with me?

Here's a funny story I forgot to tell you ladies about my stage I experience. The first night after surgery I was definitely in a drug-anesthesia fog and I remember two nurses coming in and explaining that they were going to hook the wires in my chest up to the doplar listening device to make sure "the flaps were alive and well." I turned to them in complete seriousness and said, "At what time do we stop calling them "flaps" and start calling them breasts?" they laughed and from that point on werre always sure to say, "we're going to connect the doplar and make sure your BREASTS are doing fine." :-D

• Cherrie
    edited July 2012

Esmeralda, I definitely would love to meet you and talk about our NOLA experiences. How long ago was your stage 1? Do they schedule that at you post op? 12 weeks out puts me a week before Thanksgiving. We'll see.

Has anyone heard from Harmonysun? I think about her every day and hope all is well.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Jen.. I am flying in the 26th I think... so you should still be there...

Cherrie.. Last year at this time, I went on a family vacation, came home on a Saturday, sent my son off to Costa Rica Sunday and flew to NOLA Tuesday. It was a good thing to be busy... And really the only thing you need to bring are large shorts (I bought lounge shorts at Target), comfy nightie, slippers and ipad or the like. I would keep your toiletries to a minimum... I simply did not have the energry to do too much makeup... mascara and that was it. I wouldn't buy anything special, and certainly no medical supplies... To prepare for your return to home, I would arrange dinners with friends and neighbors, a cleaning service, and put things like towels and clothes at an easy to reach height.

• Jane123
    edited July 2012

Esmerelda,  So tempting - thanks for the "invite"!  I will seriously consider it as I would love to meet you.  Jeanine left a message while I was on vacation, probably to discuss stage 2... Part of me wants to wait until the spring so I can watch my daughter play college lax before visiting NOLA to save on travel costs BUT part of me wants to finish this thing.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2012

Thanks as always Betsy. I bought the lounge shorts and 2 skirts and a couple of nighties. I plan on packing light. Once I get the shoes for the wedding and do my bloodwork I am on the home stretch. :-)

I will not pack medical supplies. I will bring my IPad, kindle, and get some magazines.

• Jane123
    edited July 2012

Cherrie,  YES magazines.  I am a big reader of all kinds of books but I could only tolerate flaky mags post op.  I just did not feel like concentrating on a story line or topic.  Funny thing was I could re-read the magazines because I would not remember them - HA! 

• lastar
    edited July 2012

I brought way too much stuff to NOLA.  The docs didn't want me to use any of my supplements, it was too hot for tea, I was too blah to read, I only wore 3 outfits in 10 days, I never used the drain vests, and they provided all the first aid supplies.  I was glad that I bought some really comfortable walking sandals with a thick sole to prevent jarring my body.  My girlfriend brought me the cutest little vintage-style wrap-around dress that was so easy to get in and out of and access drains in.  I'm still living in it and it's bright colorful pattern gets a lot of compliments while hiding the drain bulk!  I also had some Emergen-C drink powder for the trip home.  I also bought two little travel pillows in NOLA at Walgreens and they were really helpful for padding my hips on the flight home.  

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Jen, I love your comment about the flaps/breasts! It should be protocol there to call them breasts! I do have moments where they don't feel quite like my own yet, but I have more moments where I've forgotten that I've had bmx because the new ones are as huge as the old ones.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Good to see you ladies recovering after surgery, and those of you packing for NOLA. I'm away visiting family, and will start my packing after I fly home Monday. Leaving for NOLA next Saturday (driving, 2 days) for stage 1 DIEP!

Some of my relatives were getting over a cold, and I seem to have picked it up. Oh no! Concerned it could cancel my surgery, so I want to get rid of this ASAP!

I have sore throat, occasional headache and cough, and feel icky. I'm tired too, but then I've been tired for a year. Undecided  No fever or nasal congestion as yet. I'm taking Zicam lozenges, but can't get too carried away with other herbs like echinacea leading up to surgery. Tylenol for headache. Any tips on getting over this quickly?

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited July 2012

Chelle - congrats on removing a hip drain!  I am so jealous.  I am so looking forward to the day when I can remove a drain.  This Tuesday will be 5 weeks with these drains.

Florafarm - good luck on your surgery tomorrow!

Question for the group - Did you have problems with burping after surgery?  I am almost 5 weeks out and am still burping a lot.