Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2012

Denouement,   I must have had 15 icee's at Stage 1.  Everytime I turned around my husband brought me one.  Love them.

Healing hugs to the ladies.  All the best to the ladies coming up! 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited July 2012

Percocet and chips and an icey, oh my!  (c:  Good luck with Vinnie today D.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2012

Thanks all for the well wishes....doing great and will take a shower shortly a get a peek at my revised ab incision...Dr. D said he removed a lot of scar tissue and moved my incision down a lot...he also touched up two little dog ears at the end of each breast incision but other than that there was not much to do - he said he was very proud of his work!  He offered thigh lipo too but I really didn't think I needed it - I can work some more off the old fashioned way and as I remember it from last year the thighs were sore the longest - hoping for a super fast recovery...I do have one drain but it's not putting out much...I might have it a couple more days but that will be a cakewalk compared to stage 1!

Florafarm - what room are you in?  Let me know if you are up for a visit...I leave at 1 today for tattooing.  I saw the other Dana (25) at the hotel before my surgery and she looked great! 

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2012

Glad to hear all the gals in NOLA are doing so well!  

I might be drain free but pain has been pretty constant and I'm about out of pain meds.  Cry

How did you all handle refills on pain meds with the issue of being in another state from where your original prescriptions were filled?  It seems to be an issue that Dr.'s can't call in scripts for narcotics, especially over state lines.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Denouement -- so good that you are doing great and ready to go soon after tattooing. Wish I could meet you, but I think you'll be gone before I arrive -- I will have pre-op appointments on Mon. I'll remember what you said about thigh lipo and try to reduce between stages 1 & 2 to avoid that soreness.

Florafarm -- will your post-op visit be next Mon? Maybe I'll see you in passing. DH & I will arrive at Hope Lodge Sun afternoon, and I see you will be at Clarion.  Have a good trip home and smooth recovery!

• annalive
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl -- how long post-op are you? Sorry to hear you are having pain. I don't know the answer to your question about meds, but now I wonder the same thing. The pain med I have left over from BMX gave me hallucinations, so can't go there!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl~

I have had surgeries out of state, and the surgeons contacted my local PCP who prescribed more pain meds. 

I have been on narcotic pain meds since my big surgery last year.  My PCP oversees my meds, and we talk once a month about pain level, when I need to take it, etc..  It seems just as I'm about almost off of them, more recon problems keep happening.  Praying that someday this recon nightmare will be over.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl, the nola docs have twice overnight fed-exed hand-written prescriptions to me for drugs that can't be called in.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl, like LAstar, I called NOLA and they sent a handwritten prescription overnight to me for pain medication. So, just give them a call.

I am really ready to get back to some sort of normal, but it's taking a while. No matter what I do, my right breast just throbes. I am hoping it's the hematoma in there breaking down, but I don't know.  I did lose one drain last Friday, but the last one feels like sticking around :( It continues to be 23-24cc everyday. I am taking iron pills everyday, but my energy level is really struggling. Guess I am just feeling kinda down today.

Wow, I will need lipo to my thighs...not looking forward to being sore.  

Sending healing wishes to everyone!!

Michelle

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Michelle, I'm sorry that you are still waiting to turn that elusive corner!  Is the throbbing underneath the breast where the incision is?  That's where I have all of my pain.  It let up for 2 days and then it came back.  I have wondered if it's because I'm right-handed and over-doing it with my good (no lymph nodes taken) arm.  The incision on my left (cancer) side is a horizontal incision to work with the lumpectomy incision, and I have almost no pain on that side.  

I'm 3 weeks out and still so tired!  I work at home from my computer and keep hoping that "today" will be the day I can get some focused work done.  I've tried twice to skip a dilaudid and just use ibuprofen, but the discomfort is prohibitive.  I'm still not driving since I am so uncomfortable, my range of motion is not great, and I'm still on pain meds.  I loaded the dishwasher and was sore and ready for a nap!  I just want to weed the garden, wrestle with my 4-year old, go for a long hike, and mop my floor.  I'm so bored with this recovery period!!! 

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl, I had no problem with them calling in prescriptions to my local pharmacy. It never occurred to me. I was on Lortab and Laura just called my pharmacy here in WA and they filled it, no questions.

LAstar, three weeks out is the bottom. It seems like almost everyone has a dip around then. Hang in there and take it easy. It should start getting better soon. 

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012

I'm five weeks out and my pain level is almost always a "zero." I was a DIEP and think I stopped pain meds between week 2 & 3. My breasts were very sore until about week 3 or 4, both "inside" and on the skin. The surgical bras felt very tight and confining; I had to wear very loose bras for a few days, but now the surgical bras are quite comfortable again (and supportive, for fast walking). The other residual pain was in my abdomen, stretched SO tightly, but that has subsided completely. Sometimes i use the left over pain meds to help me sleep at night. My sleep cycle is completely out of sync, maybe from tamoxifen. Dr Sullivan's nurse says I can start gentle swimming, as soon as the rest of the surgical glue falls off!

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012

Yes, my post op visit Is on Monday. Docs happy with their woRk. They give you a robe here that holds your pain balls quite nicely,and also a belt with pockets to hold your drains,They think of everything here.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2012

It's crazy that's its just my right breast. I haven't had any issues with my left breast. I had the hematoma on the right side and that's the side the skin came off. The skin has healed except for one spot, but if I raise that arm, get upset or anything that side just throbes and hurts.  It's kind of weird actually, but I am hoping it fades and it's just the hematoma breaking down inside the breast.

I have just had some down days lately :( I know it'll all get better, but this is really the only time I have felt this down.  I cried briefly a few times after surgery, but nothing substantial. I feel like a wimp :(

Sorry ladies, just needed to vent/moan for a bit.

Michelle

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012

Chelle, sending you gentle hugs! Sorry you're still in the trenches. I hope that the NOLA staff can help you figure out why you're still in pain. I know that having the drains in longer would require more patience than I could muster. Glad I opted for, in my case, tiny DIEP breasts.

• annalive
    edited July 2012

Florafarm -- my morning appointments Mon are at the hospital, and at the center at 1pm w/Dr. S.  Great report that the docs are happy with their work on you! Earlier you were concerned about blood supply to the flap -- evidently that is OK now, right? Do they know after a couple of days? I'm looking forward to being on the other side, even with temporary pain!

Chelle -- may the docs have wisdom to help your pain go away ASAP!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Everyone sounds so good! 

Dana, breakfast of champions, ha!

KatieJane, I am still wow'd! 5 hours for stage 1. that is the fastest! I think my stage 2 was 5+ hours!!! (I was a 4 flapper though, so maybe that's why mine are always longer...) 

• annalive
    edited July 2012
    Dr. S estimated 5 hours for my stage 1 DIEP. We shall see. Maybe these docs are getting more efficient all the time. Smile
  • bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Chelle... I definitely had a rocky road and one breast had more issues than the other... Have faith though that it will improve and these days of discomfort will be a distant memory... Things should start to improve every week... so maybe keep a journal and then next week, read what you wrote and this will help confirm the improvement.

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012

AnAlive-my nipples were at greater risk because they had been cut wheNi had my last surgery, but they seem fine. I had a low point

this morning when I was taken off the pain pump and switched to oral pain linkers. They didn't get it to me soon enough, and by the time they did I was I tears from the pain, so, my advise is to not let that happen!

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

Thanks Springtime for your warm welcome.  I know I will be relying on all of you for moral support.  I see Dr. DellaCroce July 16th, for my consult.

• bdavis
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl... where do you live??

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

Hi bdavis,

I live in Metairie, La. about 20 minutes from the Breast Reconstructive Hospital in N. O.

• bdavis
    edited July 2012

I have friends in Metaire... . You are lucky to be so close!!

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2012

Back at the Homewood, was released earlier today...had a quick visit with Flora and a longer one with Maggie from FORCE if any of you know her...everyone seemed to be doing great!  I took a shower and changes my girdle all by myself!  The are using the flex support girdle now instead of the Veronique - it's like a cross between the original Dom and the marina...a little softer fabric wise with nice pads under the side zippers which has made it itch less for me thus far.  I have one ab drain I'm watching...might have to go home with it but everyone thinks it will be out in 2-3 days tops...plus Laura thinks only 1-2 weeks in the girdle will suffice and I can switch to marena/spanx as soon as the drain is out....what a cakewalk compared to stage 1 and my previous stage 2 with hyst.

So I met Vinnie and he didn't want to tattoo my spared nipples - I appreciate his honesty...he said there was enough pigment  in them to keep them looking very real...he thought the color was great even if I think it's a little off from where it was presurgery.  He said to cover them properly he would have to do something really dark which would not match my complexion/skintone, etc.  Mostly he  said mine was the best recon he had ever seen and he thought it was too perfect to mess with.  Can't complain about that!

So we are trying to find a nice place to eat tonight not far from the Homewood - any suggestions?

• annalive
    edited July 2012

Florafarm -- amen, don't let the pain get ahead. Maybe it would be good to SEE those pain pills before getting the pump disconnected. Wink
    I just prayed that you'll have a good week, less pain/meds every day.

Naturegirl2 -- I'll be at the Center on July 16 for pre-op. Maybe I'll see you. Yes, how nice that you live so close!

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Dr stolier recommended Domenica.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

Checking in from the trenches, love that terminology. Lastar I have a desk job from home too. Discomfort is a good way to describe how I feel also. I started back to work Monday and have not been able to work eight hours straight yet. I get tired so easily and need a nap. I am always anxious to hit the recliner at the end of the work day. I have been taking Tylenol in between doses of Motrin and it takes the edge off. Still need the narcotics to find comfort for sleeping at night. Jenlee, I look forward to week five and zero pain. Maybe I will get rid of these darn hip drains by then too. They sure drain patience along with that stuff I keep stripping and dumping lol. My hubby has polished his cooking and cleaning skills the past two weeks. He has even been charming which is not typical. His behavior really helps me keep moving forward. Denouement, love the thought of stage 2 being a cake walk. Thanks for that inspiration. Smooth journeys to those up and coming and happy healing to those recovering.

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Anita, you are kicking my butt!  I had my surgery one week before you and I can't concentrate for an hour!  Good for you!!!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited July 2012

Dana- Glad to hear all went well. These icee's sound pretty darn good!

KatieJane- It is wonderful to hear about your experience. So happy to hear everything has gone smoothly for you after the long awaited journey to NOLA.