Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Denouement -- praying for your good trip home!

Florafarm -- is it me you were asking about Mon at hosp? I have 9:00, 9:30, 11:00 appointments there (and 1pm at Center). Maybe I can find you in between!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2012

Florafarm, I too found those pants and skirts at Old Navy. What kind of tops did you get? I am having a hard time finding sleeveless tops that button up. I have shortsleeved tops for recovery at home, but NO will be hot. I wanted a couple of tops to go out or fly home in.

Do big tank tops cover bandages? Also, are they hard to step into.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

My stage 2 with Dr. D is Oct 5. It's hard to get too excited about it while still feeling so yucky from stage 1! My original incision from the lumpectomy will be re-excised yet again to try to improve the 1mm superficial margin from the mx. Dr. Stolier suggested that I didn't really want to consider what we would need to do if we still do not get a clear margin. I am hopeful! Maybe I will see some of you there in early Oct? There us a wonderful art festival in NOLA that weekend. Can I expect to be in any shape to attend after stage 2? Cheers!

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

LAstar, I have been using a travel pillow picked up from Walgreens behind my back for comfort while I work at my computer.  It helps stretch out the comfort level longer.  I tilted my task chair back farther than usual and put the pillow at the center of my back just so it reaches the lower back.  The pillow is shaped like a C.

Denoument - safe and pain free travels today.

Hoping to do the "ditch a drain dance" today. Call is made and waiting for response from Dr. Massey.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012

Cherrie, I loved the stretchy skirts from old navy, they were perfect for me. I too had a hard time finding sleeveless button down tops. My girlfriend went to Kmart by her house in Wyoming and found some,really cute gauzy bright tops and sent me 3 of them. Wear them all the time.

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

denouement, hope your trip home goes smoothly for you.

AnnAlive, why do you have some many appts. Monday, i.e. 9, 9:30,11 and 1 at the center?

I'll be there for my 10:15 am appt.  May look for you.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2012

Thanks all!  Made it home uneventfully...can't wait to nap in my own bed...check back in soon...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Yay! home sweet home!

LAStar, I added your stage 2 to the listing above. October dates already!!! Wow.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012

Did many of you go travel to NOLA for a separate consult prior to your stage 2? Or send photos and have a phone consult? Or do most wait to have the consult in person the day before your surgery? TIA

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2012

Hey there ladies. I called the center to talk to them about my right breast and got an unexpected surprise during our conversation.  Jeanine told me I could take out my last drain today...I am drain free!!! YES!!!

Glad you made it home safely Dana :)

Jenifer, I was curious about that too. I just figured we would discuss it the day before surgery. I'm curious if anyone sent photos as I thought about doing that too because I won't be able to get a trip in before stage 2.

Happy Friday everyone!! Have a great weekend!!

• cascader
    edited July 2012

Great news Chelle! Here's to being drain free!!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

I think most people just show up... I did.

• bdavis
    edited July 2012

Don't be confused by my stage IIb consult... I could just show up in January, but I need to know if he can do what he needs to do with just fat grafting or if I need a baby flap... two totally different recoveries, and I need to plan... plus he may need to work on my abs area, so again, I don't want any surprises... for for typical stage II, just show up and have your consult the day before (or morning of).

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012

Yes, AnnAlive. I was addressing you...in a bit of a DilaUdid fog. I can walk over to the hospital side and ask for you when I get there Mon. I assume your name is Ann? Mine is Esther.

• florafarm
    edited July 2012

I sent Dr. Massey photos, had a phone consult, and then saw her in her Chicago office ( 2 hrs away from me) for a visit. Went to her seminar in Chicago with my DH and that was so helpful because he really was able to understand it all. Highly recommend it.

• florafarm
    edited July 2012

I too found it hard to find summery button down tops. Got a couple short sleeved ones at Goodwill. I'll check out K Mart as was suggested. Whatever you get, you'll want it a bit longer to cover the lumpiness of your tubes and larger because your breasts will be swollen. Was surprised to have nipple guards on after surgery. I found that putting some padding on top made them look a little less strange under clothes. Four days after DIEP today...walked about 22 blocks ..slowly, in the Garden district today, hanging on to DH 's arm.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2012

Yay for Dana coming home.

I will search hi and low for sleeveless blouses this week.

Ester- I was at Dr. Massey's symposium too!! I chose a later surgery due to a planned vacation, and my son's wedding. I was pumped to hear you walked 22 blocks. Did you have a stacked DIEP? Will that make a difference in my recovery?

Hubby and I have 1 1/2 days before appointments when we get there. We are staying at the hotel Monteleone for those first 2 days. Ant ideas for what to do in that heat in that area? We have never been there. I think a swamp ride is out on this trip. Are there historical tours?

• bdavis
    edited July 2012

The Monteleone is in the heart of the Quarter... so in the evening, walking around Bourbon Street is a must!!! things get started around 8pm, so plan a wlak post dinner. There are also GREAT restaurants within walking distance of your hotel, as is the Mississippi River, Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde, French Market. It won't be SO hot that you can't enjoy this stuff. Another day's activity can be going tot he Audubon Zoo uptown, riding the streetcar (costs $3 I think for a day's pass). There is also the Katrina museum...

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited July 2012

Chelle - Congrats on being drain free!  Now I am really jealous.  It has been 5 weeks and 4 days (yes, I am counting) and I still have both drains!  I want to get rid of them so bad and it seems that I never will.  They are painful all of the time.  I hate to go anywhere because they are so hard to disguise.  I feel like I look ridiculous.

I am still having pain in both my breasts and hip incisions.  I started physical therapy last week so this could be adding to the pain.  I feel like the breasts are improving - more of a tight heavy feeling.  The hip incisions feel more painful than they did a week or so ago.  I have increased my walking so this may be adding to it or possibly laying down scar tissue?

It sounds like everyone is doing well.  Deno, congrats on being home!  I am impressed that many of you that had summer surgeries are lining up stage 2.  Right now, I can't imagine another surgery.  I think I may wait until the spring or next summer.  My breast look really good  - now sure what they will do to them at stage 2.  My flat but is another story.  Hope they will be able to reshape so that I can have some roundness again!  For those of you have completed stage 2, are there any lifting restrictions after?  Were they able to reshape rump?

• willy5js5
    edited July 2012

I found sleeveless and short sleeved button up front shirts at Kohls. They also had sleeveless zip front hoodies in the active wear section.

The anesthesiologist liked talking football and the NOLA Saints now have the top paid player- my fav qb Peyton Manning! I cant believe the Colts let him go:(

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

I couldn't talk college football with all these LSU grads because I'm a Bama alum & I'm afraid I would wake up with 3 breasts! Roll tide!!!

• willy5js5
    edited July 2012

LOL. Three breasts would be a first for the docs.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl2 -- appointments are for pre-op w/Sally, CTA scan, OT/PT evaluation, and then Dr. S. (which was moved to 1:45). Maybe I'll see you. My hair is much shorter now than avatar shows.

Florafarm -- yes, I answer to Ann. I hope to see you too. Wow, walking 22 blocks 4 days after DIEP! I couldn't do that now, so won't try to match you. Wink

DH & I are more than half way to NOLA now, staying in Fort Walton Beach, FL right on the beach, windy and overcast right now. We'll enjoy the morning here and arrive at Hope Lodge sometime in the afternoon tomorrow. 

I thought messages on this thread had slowed down, but I keep inadvertently losing it from my favorites, so I wasn't seeing new messages flagged.  Maybe I accidentally hit Remove from Favorites instead of Back to Top.

• bdavis
    edited July 2012

LAstar... I am a Tulane alum, so I definitely don't want to talk football with LSU grads...

Ksue.. yes, they will give you a butt lift. It hurts (bruised) for about a week, but well worth it.

• florafarm
    edited July 2012

CherriE, No, I did not have stacked. I believe that's only done to get enough for one breast. All my abdomen was divided for two breasts. Please understand that the blocks I walkedhere are not that long and we did it slowly over a few hours, taking a break for lunch and for a smoothie. I'm feeling pretty dizzy from all the dope, so no way would I walk any distance without hanging on to someone. Really, I could quite easily lay in my room and sleep all day, but doc said I need to be getting out to prevent blood clots and pneumonia.As far as what to do...I highly recommend the WW 2 museum if you like history,And even if you are not that into it, it is very well done. Ate at two fabulous places...Emeril's Delmonico, and Commander's palace.Both upscale places. DH and I really enjoyed the evening Jazz Cruise on the Steamboat Nachez. Also did the "free tours by foot" in the Garden District and the New Orleans School of Cooking demonstration. DH took me to aquarium today and pushed me around in A wheelchair they loaned us. It was good, but not as good as the SheddAquarium.

• cascader
    edited July 2012

Betsy, is a butt lift just pulling up the skin at the incision or does it remove tissue as well? Wondering as I am a uni sgap and wondering about the other side. At this point does not look like i will need much done for symetry but a lift might be nice to my 54 yr old butt!

• bdavis
    edited July 2012

Well.. I was asleep, (LOL) but it appears to me that he reopened the butt incision and literally pulled lower butt tissue up into the void to plump it back out...I should have asked... I also had lipo of outer thigh and love handles, and am sure he removed some skin cause I was very taut.

• cascader
    edited July 2012

Thanks, that is something i will ask about, altho i have lots of time as my stage 2 is not until december.

• ch968
    ch968 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone- It's been a while since I posted, work and family keep me busy, but I have come back on to read (and re-read) all of your posts. Your personal experiences have been so helpful preparing me for my big day which is coming up July 25th. It is awesome to hear how well you are all doing after such big surgeries. I will be in NOLA July 23 for my pre-op visit and staying until August 2. My daughter and husband will travel with me. Dr. DellaCroce wrote 6-8 weeks for my LOA, but it sounds like most of you are bouncing back quite quickly. Do you think 3 additional weeks off from work after I got home would be enough for a job that involves light lifting and walking short distances throughout the day? I will be having the hip flaps procedure.I don't want to rush the healing process or jeopardize anything. Just wondering.

Thanks

• Cherrie
    edited July 2012

My daughter took me shopping online for button up tops. I think I am all set. Yay!

Thanks Florafarm and Betsy for ideas in Nola. I wrote them down and will add it to my folder.

When discussing billing Vicki hadn't heard of a 2B. How is it different from 2A? Do they cost the same? Also, did you need to have digital mammograms before coming to NOLA even if you are having a mastectomy?

Thinking of you Ann! Happy healing to all just out.