Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2012

Just checkin' in!  Still at Homewood and have my post-op check tomorrow.  Still swollen and sore but there really isn't that much pain.  The 4 drains still have a fair amount of output so they will probably be going home with me on Saturday.  I think they are the worst part of the surgery!  It is quite a task to take care of the JP's, shower, clean the incisions, and get ready for the day.  It can wear you out before you can get your day started!  I hope everyone is having a smooth and painless recovery!

KerryA,  I read your post about your insurance denying you a 3rd appeal from an independent source?  How can they do that?

katiejane

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2012

Hey katie jane I'm at the Homewood too. I leave early on Friday-let me know it you are up for a visit tomorrow -dana

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2012

Dana, my stage 1is on Aug. 17 and I will most likely be having a hysterectomy during stage 2. What was that recovery like? How do you girls go right back in after 12 weeks? Aren't you finally just feeling good from stage 1. Just wondering as they will probably schedule me at my post op in Aug.

I am much more relaxed after coming to a resolution with Vicki. I think there was some mistake with this happening so late in the process. They are working on improving this in the future. I just want to move forward.

It is so nice to hear from those just coming out and those in the healing stages. It is a learning process for those who are yet to go. I hope to be able to return the favor.

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2012

Thanks all who responded to my pain post, not that it's good ya'll are having pain, but it's comforting to know it's not just me.... Dr. M. was able to fax a script to my local pharmacy but I'll keep the overnight Fed Ex in mind for the future.  

I've also experienced a decreased range of motion on my reconstructed side and she's emailing a script for PT.  Didn't really expect this to happen with recon, thought of it more as an issue with mast. and node surgery..... 

I had a teary time and really snapped at my DH last night.  For some reason he couldn't sleep and around 2:30 AM turned on the TV, he has a bit of hearing loss and it was quite loud.  I was in a dreamy state when I woke and thought my radio alarm clock was going off, when I realized it wasn't that and saw him walk across the room, I snapped and said "what the hell are you doing?" He responded that he couldnt' sleep.  I complained about the loudness and he responded that he had turned it down and if it was any lower he couldn't hear it, geez, I thought and said, "can't you just go downstairs and read?"  He replied that he didn't want to read.  After a moment I tearfully responded "Ya know, I would never turn the TV on and wake you up if I couldn't sleep, but that's about to change!"   I guess that got to him because in less then a minute he turned it off.  Good thing; I was in pain and ready to rip!  Instead I quietly cried myself back to sleep.  I couldn't understand his thoughtlessness and at the same time I felt guilty for being so grumpy.  I hate those guilt feelings that come even when you know you have a right to be upset! sigh.....

Pinkheart....it's nice to know you're still here, I think about you often. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl --- I am sorry you have been having so much pain and I am sorry you were woken in the middle of the night! My husband would likely do that too. I sometimes think it is just the natural difference between men and women. We are so much more the caretakers... Anyway, huge hugs to you and I hope today brings less pain and some much needed rest. I am currently visiting my sister and was asking myself why I hadn't made plans to come and see you, then remembered that you are back home on the east coast!

I am a bit out of commission as I am visiting family. For all the ladies with upcoming surgery and those that are recovering - I am sending positive vibes and thoughts to you. For those with insurance woes - I have been there (and essentially still am) and feel your stress. Hang in there!

I hope you are all having a wonderful summer.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl, guilt trips are the worst part of recovery for me especially when I think about how it affects my family.  I just try to remember that breast cancer sucks and sometimes I have to be crabby and demanding to survive.  Don't dwell on the negative too long, give it a good cry and know that those tears release hormones that make you feel better.  Happy healing to you.

• glostagirl
    edited July 2012

Thanks Nordy,  I didn't stay mad at him for long.  He's really been a trouper, first as the caretaker for me with my broken leg. We were just getting over that when I had this surgery, plus he's been very busy at work and also transporting kids here and there. I plan to give him a big hug of thanks today.  Gotta be appreciative of our men!

Thanks too Willy, I think I need to have a good cry today while taking a nice long shower to let the water carry my tears down the drain.

...."We must see all scars as beauty. ....Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived." Chris Cleave, Little Bee 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl --- you are a good wife and I am certain your hubby knows how much you appreciate him, but I bet he won't turn down a reminder! Another big hug for you! Feel better today and you know you can reach me anytime if you need anything!

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

July 16th, consult with Dr. DellaCroce

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012

Glostagirl~

Thanks!  :)  I've been thinking of you, too! 

Sorry to hear you are having to go for PT now, but know you will definitely benefit from it.  Many BC patients need it, and either their docs don't think to Rx it, or their insurance won't pay, or if insurance does pay it's for a very minimal number of sessions.  I don't know what it is with insurance, because PT isn't like going to a spa!  I can have up to 60 sessions a year, and count my blessings for sure.  I am past the 60 session mark, but I'm in a new year on insurance and have about 20 so far.  And I love my PT-CLT!  She has been great with dealing with my physical post-mastectomy pain issues, ROM issues, axillary cording, and my chest wall LE.  On top of all that, she has been so kind and understanding when I have my tearful (sometimes intermixed with swear words) kind of days, and sends me short, encouraging email messages.  When this BC recon mess is over, I'm really going to miss her!  The hospital has a nice reward & recognition program for their employees, and I've been sure to send in patient appreciation forms about her almost every month.

P.S.  My husband has done the TV thing to me, too!  I wear earplugs to bed and have for years no matter where I am.  Yelling at him?  Yep, done plenty of that, too.  But, when I think back at my big surgery last July, and how he took care of me bathing me, washing my hair, AND stripping 6 drains for three weeks, I did let him (and family & friends) know how much I appreciated him doing that, and that he took the wedding vows to heart "in sickness and in health."  When I had the two surgeries these past 4 months, I had just ONE drain for each surgery.  He STILL did the stripping for me for one silly drain, just automatically asked to help.  Wow!  I just gave him a heads up that whenever I get my next recon of all recon surgeries, I'll be back to 4-6 drains, and will have them in longer. 

So kudos to my/our DHs - as long as they keep the d--- TV off!  :)  

• naturegirl2
    edited July 2012

I was trying to get my previous post on the above list.  Maybe someone can update and add me to the list as I surely couldn't.  

bdavis, friends in Metairie?  Wondering if we have mutual acquaintenances.  And yes, I am truly blessed and lucky to live so close.

AnnAlive-I have a 10:15am consult with Dr. DellaCroce Monday.  Maybe I can meet you?  Good luck if I don't see or talk to you before then.  I must say I'm a bit nervous for my upcoming consult.  I'm hoping he gives me good news in that I can go the easiest route- DIEP.  Will keep all posted!  Good luck denouncement and all who are so brave to have underdone pain and suffering, both emotionally and physically.

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012

Three days past my BMX and DIEP . Got my breast drains out this morning, walkIng the halls and had my first shower yesterday? Getting discharged this afternoon as soon as we have the right pain med figured out.

• glostagirl
    edited July 2012

naturegirl......only Springtime, who wrote the original topic post can access and edit to add your date, I'm sure she will as soon as she sees it.

• naturegirl2
    edited July 2012

good luck florafarm.  Sounds like you are doing well considering? How did it go? 

glostagirl - thanks for the heads up!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl... Springtime doesn't always see the posts.. it is best to PM her the info.

And yes, I lived in NOLA for 5+ years (went to Tulane and then stayed for a bit) ... doesn't Dr D also live in Metaire??

• florafarm
    edited July 2012

Nature girl - I think I'm doing well. Feeling hopeful and grateful. As long as my pain is managed I can stand and walk upright. My Dh is being a real "florenceNightingale" so he will stay on top of my drains, meds and dressings the next few days. SCSH has awesome caregivers and they think of everything you'll need.And another great thing....no more tamoxifen...I was having awful hot fLashes with it.

• sassy43
    sassy43 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone- I am what you might consider a "newbee" here.  I was diagnosed in 2008, bi-lateral masectomy & implants.  Since that first year I have had 3 revision surgeries to try and get my girls to stay in place.  A month ago my PS told me for some reason the implants keep bottoming out and falling to the side.  He suggested TRAM and onlyTRAM.  He never mentioned DIEP in any of our conversations. Thank God i started doing research on my own and stumbled across NOLA. Although I was furious at my PS for not giving me ALL of my options, I now feel as though I am getting a handle on things.  I have a consult with Dr. Sullivan on the 23rd.  I am nervous but excited at the same time.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Liz told me to expect it to take about 2 hours which seems like a lot of time for just a consult. And does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel in the french quarter? My husband and i are taking advantage of a the Sat and Sun before my consult for some much needed fun. Thanks so much for any tips you can give me. 

• naturegirl2
    edited July 2012

Hi sassy,

I can't answer your question in what to expect at the consult as I am scheduled for a consult 7/16, Monday with Dr. DellaCroce.  I hope you get good news and the best way to go for breast reconstruction.  I'm a bit nervous myself with not knowing what Dr. D. will tell me.  I'm hoping for the best for both of us!

BTW - I live in the New Orleans area, thankfully.  There are many hotels in the french quarter.  I heard the Ritz Carlton is a beautiful hotel. It's located very close to the french quarter.  Good luck.  Keep us posted, as I will do the same after I find out more on Monday.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2012

Sassy, I stayed at Bienville House and really liked the charm, location & price. You can google it. I did a LOT of research and chose NOLA, too.

Hey All, I saw a Beatle last night - went to the Ringo Starr concert in SLC, UT for our oldest son's 16th big b-day.  Much fun! Peace, Tamara

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Hi sassy... I can answer both questions. I had a consult last year and it really did last 2+ hours. I sat with Dr Dellacroce for him to answer ALL of my questions, then he did an exam and drew all over me to show what he would/could do, and then I think they took pictures (can't remember)... but he gave me LOTS of time.

As for the hotel, the Center has a relationship with many hotels and can get you a discount... some are Homewood Suites on Poydras (not in the heart of the quarter), Montelone on Royal and others. I would call Katie and ask her what she can do for you. She can also arrange a car service to pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

For hotels, if you go to the Center's website then Patient Support > Travel > Local Accomodations, you will see a list of all the hotels that provide a discount for the Center's patients and the reduced prices.  I also found a good deal on TravelZoo for the Maison St. Charles, which was only 3 blocks from the Center for about $60.    

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2012

Hi Sassy43

We are getting quite the group of Michiganders here! I live up north, outside of Glen Arbor. Was just in Canton a couple months ago at IKEA:)

I do remember the consult being lengthy. You talk, they draw, they take pictures plus in my experience you usually have to wait! So bring a book. It's so worth it. I was in a similar situation to you except had no complications with the implants. (Just hated how they felt and looked.) I was so happy and hopeful after my consult. The 2 other PSs I had consulted were not nice or helpful, and it was very validating to talk to Dr D. I had my stage one almost 2 years ago and have been very very happy with the results.

That trip was in August and there were incredible hotel deals. (I guess not too many people want to go to NOLA that time of year!) So check around. I ended up staying for 2 nights at the WALDORF for pete's sake, for a ridiculously low price.

Amy

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Sassy -- I had my consult with Dr. S in May. First there were more forms to fill out while sitting in the lobby, then DH & I were seated at a round table in the office, and Dr. S came in, discussed my case, answered my many questions, and drew on paper his plan for me -- he didn't draw on my skin. Then I was asked to change into a gown and a tiny panty thing (that you see on the Center's website) and taken to the picture room for all those lovely photos. Embarassed It was fine.

Then, while still in a gown and panty, I was taken to an exam room where Dr. S and one of his staff/nurse looked over the state of my failed tissue expander reconstruction from last fall, and no doubt assessed my abdominal fat, and that was about it, but it did take about 2 hours total. DH was with me throughout except for pictures -- I guess he would have been allowed, but somehow he wasn't in there. Let me tell you that Dr. S is so nice, putting you at ease, and we were very impressed with everyone and the facility itself.

I did see Dr. D and Vinnie in the office front area, but they were busy so I didn't meet them. Dr. S will be doing my DIEP next Tuesday, and they didn't yet know whether Dr. D or Dr. T would assist -- said they might not know until surgery time. The date of your consult with Dr. S is the date of my post-op appointment with him, at 1:30. Be sure to ask for a tour of the hospital while you're there -- it's right next door.

• sassy43
    sassy43 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012

Thank you everyone for all of your insight.  I feel very privileged to have found this sight and all of you.  I cant really talk about all of this with my DH because he is so overwelmed about me having to have another surgery and the cost.  He shuts down everytime I try to bring up the subject.  I hope meeting Dr. Sullivan will be able to put his mind at ease. 

Amym159 - I hope you enjoyed IKEA.  I get lost evrytime I go in there!

AnnAlive - Hope we can run into each other while i am there :) 

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2012

Cherrie, Amym159 and sassy43, we Michigan NOLA sisters should consider getting together sometime! I am more than happy to show off my girls (albeit I still need stage 2 surgery) anytime you need it! 

Sassy43, there is no doubt in my mind (in ANY NOLA sister's mind) that Dr. Sullivan and the NOLA facility will put you at ease. You will be amazed by their expertise, skill, talent and compassion. Take the tour of the hospital - it's absolutely wonderful and I'm sure any hesitation you or your husband might have will disappear. Good luck to you! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl2, I added your consult above.

Sassy, welcome to our group! I will add your consult above too. I agree with Betsy on hotels. Homewood is close to FQ and has tons of space, full free breakfast every morning and light supper 4 nights a week. Monteleone is in FQ but less space, typical hotel room, no free food. However, they have a totally awesome rooftop pool.

Dana, what nice news to get from Vinnie! I am also impressed that he would say nope. You're good the way you are... 

AnnAlive, not long now!!! 

• florafarm
    edited July 2012

What time do you have be at the hospital on Monday? My appt is at 9:30, but I can come early if you'd like to meet or take a peak :)

• florafarm
    edited July 2012

For any of you getting surgery this summer and planning on going out in public with drains, I want to tell you that I found Great pair of high-waisted Lightweight cotton pants at Old Navy of all places. They have wide legs and soft cotton ribbing at the top. Wore them when we walked 1 1/2 blocks away for dinner tonight and they disguised the drains and tubing well.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2012

Leaving NOLA today, on the plane back to SFO now...a little annoying without a caregiver but doable so far...husband is meeting me on the other side...had a bad nausea day yesterday but seems better today...success is currently defined as not puking on the plane - wish me luck!  Can't wait to get home...

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2012

re: high waisted ribbed waist pants... look in the maternity and plus size sections (I found mine at Target).  For early stages of pregnancy they make regular lightweight cargo pants/shorts/etc with a wide elastic and/or drawstring soft ribbed cotton waistband.  Since they're oversized for you the elastic isn't tight.  I'm almost a year out with some sensitivity to structured pant waistbands, so these are the most comfortable for me when I'm not at work. I'm normally a 12-14 so the plus size might not work for you, but they make maternity pants in all sizes.