Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

Maggie.. I would ask. I don't think its the kind of thing they would forget. Perhaps in your case for some reason they may feel you don't need it.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2012

How do I view the picture forum?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2012

Pamela, there are instructions up at the very top. in the info/header section introducing the dates, etc.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2012

I have the veronique high top girdle with mid thigh legs in a very fashionable shade of black. Who ever said there is something sexy about crotchless underwear should be shot. I also babe the thin black bra. Becareful washing this as the dye bleeds a lot. I have had a lot of leakage from the right b drain. I woke up the first morning in the hotel with a lovely tie dye pattern on the sheet that had wrapped around.

I have a question about the compression sleeves, gloves and Ted hose. I know to put them on before the flight, but how long should I wear after? Do I remove that evening or 24 hours after I land?

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Marty, I removed the ted hose in the airport... and in addition to wearing the hose, you need to get up and walk mid flight... or mid drive. You need to move every hour.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2012

I recall waiting 2 hours to remove compression after travel.

• MartyJ
    edited November 2012

Great, thanks for the help!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

thanks Bdavis...yes doc said it is not a given for everyone to need the compression after stage 1. 

Martyj--compressions for flying should be put on at least 1 hr before and no less than 1 hr after you land. 

Question for anyone who has been in my shoes with 1 good flap boob and a flatie on the other-- What type of bra did you get to wear during the first few weeks where the new boob must be supported but the other side not so much. The Dale bras they gave me at the hospital are digging in just a little around the bottom.  Is a good jog bra with zipper ok to do?

Maggie-2

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2012

Hey, NOLA sisters from early November! Glad to hear the good news, am more than a little sympathetic with the not-so-goods news, but know you are all strong. Was a mixed time in NOLA -- had a complication after surgery that scared everyone (including me!), but I seem to have bounced back and it somewhow doesn't seem as bad as others! Am home now with sister visiting and making like a pitbull (no offense meant!) to make sure I follow directions. It was a 10 hour surgery, and though I was in great shapoe going in, am feeling a little slower healing. I'll get there. Then the very last, including ink in February 2013 and DONE!!

Best to Maggie-2, Pamela44, Jane 123, Cherrie, Glostagirl, MartyJ --

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Maggie ... (celtic).. what took 10 ours? This was 2b, correct?

• Angelabianca
    Angelabianca Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group. I just went for my first post treatment scan and found cancerous calcification. I now need to go back in for a double mastectomy. I had an appointment with a PS in Los Angeles yesterday and after my exam he told me that I am not a candidate for implants since I just finished radiation almost 6 months ago and I have serious tissue damage. He suggested that I go to NOLA and have a GAP. I have no idea where to even start and it all seems so overwhelming to me. I would appreciate any info that anyone could give me. Where do you stay? How long did you stay? Did you have to fly in for your consultation? Etc etc ......

Thanks

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2012

Betsy -- Yup, IIb. Baby flap to left breast, fat grafting (so lipo harvest and processing) r & l breast, r breast contouring, butt revision and lift, both breasts lifted ... not quite 10 hours, but went in at 12:30 and into room at 10 PM. Dr. D. IS a perfectionist, for sure! We had thought 4.5-5 hours! But, other than the expected soreness and the incision discomfort, I think I am doing quite well. I think that everyone's surgery may take different itme depending on what has been done and you had had a lot more done in your earlier surgeries than I did. I am expecting the last surgery, sometime in February 2013, to be much smaller and more like what I was expecting this time. Still surgery, but it looks like it will be the last. Would be a great Valentine's gift for me!! :-)

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Maggie... I am having all those things in January for my 2b too... and leaving town three days later. Whirlwind!!

Angela... You are starting in the right place. I had a bilateral GAP flap in July 2011. The surgery involves having a breast surgeon (NOLA uses 3) to perform the MX, then they sort of close you up and flip you over to harvest the buttock (hip) fat. After harvest, they flip you again and make the flaps. It can take about 9-10 hours, using 2 plastic surgeons. You would fly in two days prior, can stay at a hotel (discounted) or the Hope Lodge (free). They day before surgery you will have pre-op appts. You will be in the hospital for 4-5 nights, and then back to the hotel/Hope Lodge. You then have a post op appt one week after surgery, and then can fly out. As for consultations, I flew in for mine, but most just send pictures. The doctors are wonderful and as Maggie said perfectionists. Just what I wanted in my doctor.. someone who wanted things perfect!!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited November 2012

CelticA~

What was your complication after surgery?

• celtic_antique
    edited November 2012

Morning, Pink! Was something particular to me, I think, given my cardiac valve reconstruction history. My heartbeat escalated and wouldn't come down even though blood pressure and everything else seemed OK. Went on for about 20 minutes (had been going on and off during the day, but the nurses happened to catch it in one of the regular 'vitals checks') They were on the horn with the doctors in seconds. Got orders from the docs, followed them and prepared just in case something else needed to be done (didn't, thank God!). Middle of the night worried group of us, but the meds kicked in and all was fine. Didn't happen again. Not the usual thing, but the medical staff was there and ready ... that, in and of itself, was reassuring. NOLA CBRS rocks!!!

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2012

Hi all, finally checking in, my Internet service on my nook was too erratic at SCSH to send out messages.  

My surgery went well.  I ended up having a left reduction/lift, fat injections to the right reconstructed side and revisions to my SGAP defect from my surgery  of 3 years ago, 'bout time that got fixed!  It looks pretty good.  I have a big blister and quite a bit of bruising around my reduction incision, it looks scary ugly but they all assured me it's fine Undecided.

Dr. M. thinks I'll need another fat injection to my recon and maybe a small revision to my DIEP incision.  The reduction is so swollen it will be a while until I know what it's going to look like.  I only had 2 drains, they took one out yesterday and I think the other will come out Sunday, yeah!  

I do have a question for ya'll....has anyone experienced air bubbles from their urethra while urinating.  This happened to  me this morning and was very odd, not sure what to think.  

Healing thoughts and hugs to everyone.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2012

I know what you mean Maddie-2. Those entry points are the sorest thing on me. Today has been my best day. Dr. S has been my follow up doc. I have NO energy. I move around for a while bet then I sit or lay. My husband gave methebloodthinner injection today. We lived thru it! Haha. Sat in the sun, napped for 2 hours, lunch, chair outside, ready for a nap. I think the lack in energy is my only having a few bites of food. Nothing tastes good to me.

Thinking of you all. I had the opportunity to meet with most. Pamela and I crossed paths but we have PM Ed.

My appointment at SCSH is Monday at 1:00. Will any of you be there?

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Marty I am wearing the same black beauties as you are. The top of the girdle irritates me. Maybe because I am quite short in stature. I roll I down a bit. Washing my first set tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the dye.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited November 2012

Cherrie~ 

To boost your energy, have you tried bottled Carnation Breakfast drinks?  They are packed with protein.  My kids had flu when little and pediatrician recommended they drink those to help get their energy back.  I like them better than Ensure drinks.  To prepare for SGAP surgery with Dr. K, he pushed high protein diet and vitamins to prepare before and after surgery to promote healing. 

I added the CB drinks as a snack between meals for a month before surgery, but after I had my SGAP in August I was pukey and not wanting to eat for a week, but did manage to still be able to drink the CB.  After surgery, my husband would bring carry out food back to hotel and I would have him go sit by the pool to eat because even smell made me sick.  What we put our DHs through! 

• MartyJ
    edited November 2012

Cherrie, I think we all roll down the top of the girdle.  They suggested it in the hospital.  Dr. Trahan's nurse suggested I unhook a bottom hook on the bra, too.  This was at post op followup.  

I am never sure what is bugging me, but I think that once the drains go a lot of the pinpoint pain stuff will resolve.  I am hoping Dr. M gives me a go ahead to do that on Tuesday.  My output is minimal (less than 5 from all drains).  And I am a technicolor mess - large bruises that change every day.  I am also rather swollen - my left ankle is quite large.  Got my wedding ring back on the other day, but can't get it off.

Energy is in scarce supply here, too.  I am only up for 1 walk a day (about a mile round trip) at a snails pace.  Since you are across from Fresh Market maybe Tony can bring you some protein bars - minimum of 10 - 20 grams.  Even adding one of these a day will help.  I have also been eating when I am not really hungry because I know I have to (no nausea thankfully).  

Oh, well.  At least we are all here to complain together.  We fly out tomorrow morning and I know that on Monday all will be different.  Thankfully!

• Angelabianca
    Angelabianca Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012

Bdavis,

Thank you so much for all of the info. I emailed them today and will wait for a response. Since I am trying to do reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy, I hope that I don't have to wait very long to schedule. On average how long did everyone wait for a date?

• cider8
    edited November 2012

I had immediate recon. The docs leave space open in their schedule for active cancer patients. Once I went through insurance and finances I was scheduled in about 2 weeks.

• cider8
    edited November 2012

I think I was one of the few that had to yank up the girdle! I'm average height but my torso is a bit longer. I had to be careful not to have a gap between my bra and girdle; didn't want that skin bulging through instead of being compressed.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2012

Angela, have you found the website? There is a "getting started" section. www.breastcenter.com. I think you fill out some forms and someone will contact you. Liz I believe. You can call too. I am very impressed the doc there suggested NOLA. It is a big surgery, and there are two stages for most. You get free limo serivice to and from Airport and all appointements, and the staff can help with local hotels, though you can see those listed on the website as well. As Betsy mentioned, Hope Lodge is free. Their business caters to women out of town, so they have it down pat. And all they do is breast reconstuction. They are wonderful, and the environment is like a spa.

I know it must seem overwhelming, but it is the best place in the world for natural tissue breast reconstruction, that is all they do. They also concentrate on your whole body, not just your breasts, given they are removing fat flaps from a donor area. GAP will be great because it is much less sensitive area than the belly / DIEP! 

Good luck with everything. This is a great place to ask questions and get support. Glad you found us.

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Marty.. now that you mention it, I unhooked the bottom one or two hooks on the bra... at one point, that didn't help either, so I asked for a larger bra. That was MUCH better.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Thanks for tidbits on eating. We will try CB drinks and protein bars. I don't even like the smell of food.

Let's pray those drains can come out. I know they are doing so much, but they are producing so little and hurt so much.

I only walk inside the condo. Marty you inspire me. I will try harder tomorrow. I just haven't had the desire and this isn't like me.

This morning was by far my best day. Going for a shower tomorrow. 😄

Thanks to everyone who have had any part in giving me information about NOLA. I read about it for a long time . Stage 2?? Chicago in late February is a possibility. Ok time for meds.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

I just took off my socks and my legs and ankles are quite swollen. Is this ok?

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2012

Help! I think I,m going backwards! Right after the diep I felt very well able to stand straight and in new Orleans was walking around a lot. Now I,m home, 12 days after surgery and I am very achy. The sides of my breasts feel very sore and bruised. I have worn the black bra continuously so far and I just want to take it off. I don't want fabric against my breasts. Do you think that would be bad for one night? Also the black compression garment is driving me crazy. It is a large and I should've gotten an extra large. It compresses where it does not need to ie. my thighs and midriff. I think I,m only supposed to wear it for I week but I!m not sure. I,m dr. Sullivan,s patient. I just feel crummy now. The scars are doing ok. Any words to help me out?

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Pamela.. I am Dr D's patient and sometimes their instructions vary, but you are to wear the girdle until one week post drains (those were my orders)... and for the bra, I was told 2 weeks, so if its bothering you, I would say you can go without at night (my opinion)... you may feel more sore and bruised because you are healing, and getting sensation back... I have heard, but did not happen to me, that the skin can get ultra sensative.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2012

Pamela--I would look for a different bra if I were you. Anything wireless with a little stretch and a little support should do.  Front-fastening is probaby easiest, but it's not that hard to fasten a back-hook bra and twist it around, or step into one without hooks and pull it up.  Look for things called "sleep" bras or "leisure" bras.  This is a style that works pretty well for after surgery (you can find similar ones at your local stores or on Amazon or ebay):  http://www.leadinglady.com/leisure-bras/cotton-front-closure-leisure-bra.html