Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

Marty.. I slept in my pillow cocoon for 6 weeks to stay on my back... you want to stay on your back for at least 4 weeks and then can kind of move to your side, but no sleeping on your stomach for weeks. This is to protect your flaps, and has nothing to do with drains. Sleeping reclined is just to help with swelling, so as long as you aren't swollen, having your head up shouldn't matter.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2012

I will try melatonin again tonight and see what happens. Dr. M said on back for at least 6 weeks. I am a tummy and side sleeper too!! I had a power lift chair delivered to my house today. I can't wait to be home to see if things improve that way for me.

I went with a DIEP for slightly smaller boobs. They are huge. I know a lot of this must be swelling. If not, I am sure Stage 2 can help resolve this. Ha ha!

Getting giddy about leaving soon.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2012

Perfect, thanks all. I think my brain is on a mini vacation and did not take my body. My bed is adjustable and I have finally found the combination that keeps me in the target position. I am sure having head slightly elevated it much better for the problem boob, too.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2012

TTAY, I am glad you are havning the bone scan tomorrow rather than waiting, and I am really hoping hard that it turns out to be nothing... Hang in there! The waiting for the results can be hard....

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

TTAY-We're all sending peaceful and healing thoughts your way. Like Spring said, the waiting is the worst. Enjoy your time with family this week.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012

Cherrie.... I came out of my stage 1 DIEP with huge boobs too. I went in with size C/D and came out with very full DD's and side boobs too. After stage two, the side boob is gone and they are smaller. I am so impressed with how everything looks and it has only been 8 weeks since my stage 2 surgery. These doctors are amazing!!!!!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Angie, that is good to hear. I went in with C's and came out with DD. I want smaller. Now I will be listening to all of those stage 2 posts although it is hard to plan while healing. We are leaving NOLA tomorrow. I miss home sooooo much.

I slept for 6 hours straight last night. I feel like a new woman.

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Cherrie... A lot of what you have is swelling... But think of your stage I breasts as a hunk of clay and stage II as the sculptor coming in to mold the clay into a piece of artwork. They give themselves plenty to work with. It's easier to mold down than add more and then mold... And like me, it's possible some of the tissue isn't great, so always good to have extra.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012

Cherrie I am so glad that you get to go home tomorrow. Keep us posted on how you are doing and when your stage 2 is going to take place.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2012

Cherrie - So glad you got a good rest.  I went to the hairdresser today for a good wash and blow dry, then DH took me to lunch and a walk through Target.  I am in the recliner and I shall refuse to get up without good reason (like house fireKiss).  

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012

Hi ladies and a safe and joyous black Wednesday to you all. I am still foggy and sore from stage 2. The lipo made me really sore. I am almost there with pain med schedule to get comfortable. This too shall pass and improves each day. No drains needed and I am thrilled about that. I have compression except for the shower and find that it helps tremendously with the discomfort.

My surgery and stay at Illinois Masonic went very well. I don't have a single complaint and will rate everything positively when I get the survey. The hospital was built in 1973 and they have begun rennovations. The updates are necessary but did not affect the quality of care provided. The patient rooms are semi private with a shared restroom. I had a roommate. She was in process of discharge when I came up after surgery. Then I got another roommate the next day just a couple hours before my discharge. It worked out fine and I had the room to myself most of the stay. Everything was very clean and well maintained given the age of the building. The caregivers I had were knowledgeable, compassionate, and very sweet and most of the time male gender. I was awkward about it because I am not used to it. They asked up front every time if I was alright with the gender first when it pertained to certain care needs. My favorite caregiver was a young man named Josh and we had a giggly good time with him figuring out my dominator girdle.

I did bring my own supplies - girdle, drain pouch, wraps for my at risk arm. They did provide the surgical bra and it has front closure hooks and zipper. I like it better than the bras from St Charles. Marga is still working some of these things out with the new facility. She brought me a bag of supplies for post op dressing changes this time. The food served was standard hospital food, nothing fancy but edible. There wasn't anything served that I thought was bad. The baked mac and cheese would rate as delicious even. It was fun being there with all the excitement of Marga's first patients. The staff are very happy to have her and excited about her procedures. During my surgery someone asked her if I was born without nipples. I would have given anything to wake up and hear her response to that question. I had plenty of show and tell and really enjoyed sharing our reconstruction path. They are excited to care for us and have Dr Massey with them.

My son lives in Chicago so I stayed with him and could have easily just stayed home too because I live about an hour from the hospital. Not much to choose from right by the hospital but the public transit train stop is right there and the downtown choices for lodging are countless. Dr Massey's office is downtown too, right across from Navy Pier. I tried to share as much info my dilaudid and oxy brain allows. Hoping to share enough details to those considering Chicago for other stages.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2012

Just to let y'all know, surgeon looked at the disc and said it was nothing!  Hooray! Happy Thanksgiving all. 

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2012

Feeling thankful today for so many things: for being 6 weeks post-Stage 2 and feeling energetic and whole, for the amazing help I've gotten from my community this year and from the women on this board, for hopefully being done with breast cancer (while acknowledging the odds), for my great insurance, for the Center and its team of caring & skillful professionals, and for my amazing husband and his nurting & loving help during a trying year.  Grateful to be here!  Happy thanksgiving, everyone!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited November 2012

My husband cousin who lives in chicago was considering dr m. Dont know about the room sharing and bathroom situation though. Can u request a private room at masonic?

Stage 2 might not b to bad but stage 1 surgery in hospital for 5 days is enough to deal with let alone roommates and their families and sharing germs in bathroom.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012

Dr M will only do stage 1 at Nola. It requires a second support microsurgeon and she works well with them.

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Pamela-Yay!!! Anita- thanks for all of your info about the hospital. My stage 2 is scheduled for Feb. 19 with a one night stay. We found a bed and breakfast in Buck Town and my son lives quite close. He doesn't have room for us. Dr. M wants me there three days as I live 3 1/2 hrs. away.

BBetsy- Great call on Commandars Palace. We had lunch there . My husband liked the 25cent martinis. Swanky! Then we walked through a cemetery and on to the streetcar. We spent some time in the Audobon Park. Very nice! Of course in was sunny and 73.

Taking a shower and packing tonight. Here I come Michigan.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2012

Marty and Audrella, I slept in a recliner for 6 weeks.  Was not comfortable but it did help with breast swelling and helped to me avoid being on my hip drains, too.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012

Posted this in the Charleston thread also:My stage 2 is just in a few weeks and I am wondering if anyone got a larger breast from after stage 2 and fat grafting? I hear it is easier to go smaller at stage 2, makes sense, but Has anyone had success going a little bigger without a baby flap? I am a uni and looking for symmetry.

Chelle, been thinking about you . How are you feeling?.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited November 2012

Hi ladies... I've been quiet but still jumping on and following along with everyone's progress. My thoughts are with you all - Maggie, Cherrie, Ttay, tamara, and everyone who is healing or has upcoming surferes. Much love to you all!

On t-day eve, I just wanted to express my gratitude for you ladies for the incredible support you've given me these past many, many months. Spring, Betsy, Nordy, and Tamara, in particular, but everyone else for continuing to share your progress or struggles as well. It truly is an AMAZING community we share. Much love, peace and gratitude to you all!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2012

Yea, Pamela!  Thanks, LAstar.          So true, my breasts were really big after stage 1 (& I loved it) but the swelling went down dramatically for me at 3 months out and they returned to B/C size.    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

• Springtime
    edited November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! xoxoxox Spring.

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited November 2012

Hi all, wanted to touch base, let y'all know how brave everyone is. I read everyone's posts everyday and applaud you brave and strong women.   I wasn't so brave and cancelled my Oct 2 surgery with Dr. for stacked DIEP.  I've been having trouble with what was supposed to be costochrondritis diagnosed last January.  I've had a swollen sternum for several months, and no real relief of pain.  I called my oncologist few days back, he scheduled blood work with CAT scan/with constrast.  Got my results today.  My cancer has returned.  I now have a tumor in my sternum, a spot on one of my ribs and nodules in my lungs.  Had I gone thru with the surgery Oct 2 with Dr. D, I'm sure it would have been picked up with a scan at that time. He will be scheduling a biopsy early next week to determine the type of treatment, i.e. hormonal or chemo therapy. :( Does anyone have any encouraging words, thoughts?

• Springtime
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl, so sorry to hear your news. :((  There is a lady here named BettyeE, maybe you can look her up and send her a PM (private message). She posted recently on page 673 and will be three years out in Feb from being diagnosed with cancer that returned and I believe this was discovered from a NOLA scan. I think there are also boards in BC.org where you will find additional support. 

BettyeE said to Fight like a Tiger! I also have a friend who is nearly 7 years out, and she is amazing. There is hope. 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl,  I am so sorry to hear this news.  Just sent you a PM.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

so sorry naturegirl.

I am asking this here as I am almost afraid to ask DrM.  From the beginning I noticed that my right flap does not always feel warm to the touch.  Is this normal?  When leftie failed it was cold as ice.  This is more like just the skin surface is cold to the touch but as i said not always...just when in a laid back position when sitting or sleeping.  When i am standing it is warm.  The color of her looks good.  I hate the way I am always worried that this side is going to fail too.  When can I relax a little about it?

Maggie-2

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Nature girl I am so sorry you are going through this right now.

Maggie you need to call Dr. M right now. I am sure things are fine but talking to her will help you.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl, I'm so sorry to hear your cancer has returned. I think it's amazing that your instincts led you in the right direction. I ignored my instincts for years but learned to follow (and will teach my daughters). Thank you for sharing your update with us. The little I've read on the Stage IV board sounds very supportive.

Maggie, I remember feeling a little freaked that my skin surface felt cool at times. Then it would feel fine, as you indicated. I think part of what is going on is that our minds are learning to understand this new tissue that has no feeling. I just now touched my breast and chest and they both felt cool to my hand, even though I've been cooking and my body feels very warm. You already know the difference between how the flap should feel. I think as long as the color looks good and you have periods of warmth you are ok. But certainly if you have strong doubts, call! I'm not sure what the ultimate 'out of danger' time frame is. But I think you are past the most critical time. Oh, and often times the 3rd week post op can be tough physically and emotionally. Be gentle with yourself.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited November 2012

Hi Mags,

When my second flap failed the first sign was that it was cold to the touch about 7 days out, but it was constant. Sort of like you described when leftie failed....cold as ice all the time and it was very pale. This lasted for about three days, then the coloring changed. When I took my shower at 8 that morning it looked fine and still felt cold, but by noon it was a very dark purple and very obvious that something was very wrong.

When I had everything redone, I would panic because both breasts would feel cool sometimes. Nothing like before, but I was worried sick that the failure was beginning. Basically I kind of groped myself all the time trying to make sure they stayed warm! ;) I think this little bit of coolness is normal, at least it was for me the second time. I do think you should call Dr. M to be on the safe side. It sounds like she does a great job soothing concerns and she certainly knows best.

As for when you can relax....I'll let you know when I get there!

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited November 2012

Nature girl, so very sorry to hear your news. Prayers for you and your family.

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Maggie... I to just felt my breast and it feels cool to the touch also. I also remember touching myself in the hospital and wondering if I was too cold... I think COLOR is important as much as touch. But if you are worried, I would call.

Naturegirl... I am so sorry to hear this. I know it must be so very hard to hear that the cancer has returned... Be strong and go after it.

Cherrie... Glad you liked Commanders. Some time try it for dinner... It is so beautiful!!