Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl- I am sorry to hear what you are going through. You have a very supportive group to talk with here. My thoughts are with you during this time.

Cherrie & MartyJ- Thanks for your sharing your Stage 1 experiences. While I had hip flaps for Stage 1, I too was bigger than I had planned. It took me a while (and talking with the women here) to know a lot of if was just swelling.That being said, I like how Bdavis put it....Stage 2 is the sculpting. I I have my Stage 2 in a few weeks and am planning to go a bit smaller. Happy healing thoughts to you both.

Anita- Looks like a new hairdo from your last profile pic? Like the chic new look!

This time of year really helps me bring things into perspective and what to be thankful for, which includes you wonderful women here. What a supportive family it is! 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

thank you all...called Dr M and sent her some pics and she says it looks perfect.  She thinks that my imagination is running wild.  She says at this point it would take a big event such as a fall on the breast...sleeping on it or something of that sort to fail.  I feel so much better now.  So glad I have her personal # to call...she is awesome.  Now I can relax a little and enjoy the weekend.  No black friday shopping this year either...last yr had just had chemo on Wed and did not dare go this yr do not want to be shoved around in the mayhem...nothing is that good of a deal out there...its not like shoes will be on sale!!!! HAHA

Maggie-2

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2012

I hope you have a restful Thanksgiving Maggie! Righty's a keeper, I'm sure of it.

• zandy
    zandy Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012

Hi again.

I'm in the process of getting things organized for NOLA...my surgery is Jan 11. I've been in touch with Liz, Katie, and Vickie. Katie has been working on arrangements with Mercy Medical, to get my flight through them. I've run into a glitch that I wonder if anyone else here has experienced. Mercy Medical faxed the form giving me a "doctor's permission" to travel to my oncologist. However, she won't sign it! She claims that since its "elective surgery", and that it should be signed by the plastic surgeon. Well I told her nurse that the PS has never met me so he would not be able to sign a clearance. She suggested I ask my primary doctor to do it.

Has anyone else encountered resistance with this?

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2012

NatureGirl -- I'm sorry to hear your news.  I'm glad you didn't go all the way to NOLA to find this out.  Please keep us posted on your treatment.  {{hugs}}

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

Stephanie (naturegirl).. you live in NOLA, yes?

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I am so thankful for all of you. Take care all, Anita

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl,

I read your post and I know exactally how you feel. My mind was going 1000mph. I could not slow my thoughts down enough to make decisions. I am so sorry you are facing these hard days ahead. Just know that although it is stage IV and there is no cure, it is treatable. It is not an instant death sentence. I am living a very normal life and enjoying every minute of it.

If I can help you in any way or answer any questions, please PM me.

Wishing you the best. Take a big deep breath, then dive in. And fight, fight, fight!

Bettye

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving girls! I am especially thankful for you all during this time. I wouldn't be where I am without you. Thanks!

Maggie, I am so glad you called Dr M. I knew you would relax if you did.

I am through security and sitting at the airport. I was padded down lightly and they were very respectful.

My legs are like balloons, but feeling spunky in my compression hose. One more lovinex (?) shot to go. My DH does this. One drain in hip that is putting out 50-60 per day. Slept 6 hours last night!!!!

Back in Michigan in a few hours!!!

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited November 2012

Thank you Springtime.  It is good to hear your friend is nearly 7 yrs out with return of BC. That is encouraging.

Thanks besa, PM'd you,you have always been so very helpful to me, and thanks Mags2, Cherrie, cider8, DianneNC,bdavis, KerryA, & LAstar.  Yes, I live in New Orleans.  I have a great oncologist at Ochsner, Dr. John Cole, who I trust and who has been dealing with me with BC since 1991.  This is my third recurrence of BC, but this time it decided to travel around in my chest area. :(  My second bout with BC was close to 6 years ago.  I then had my left mastectomy.  I feel I know all of you since I read on a daily basis the trials every one of you are going thru with breast reconstruction.  Everyone's words of encouragement truly means the world to me, really.  I'll PM BettyeE and bdavis.  bdavis, you have been helpful to me in the past as well.  You have a wealth of good information you give daily to the girls here and I thank you for this. I'm waiting to have a biopsy scheduled for the tumor on the sternum,so my oncologist will know which way to treat this.  I'll keep y'all posted.  If anyone wants to PM me, please do.

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Stephanie... Thank you for your kind words.. After looking at your signature line, it appears to me that you had two very different pathologies in the past, implying a second primary in 2007 rather than a recurrance. You have been through a lot yourself, and you have beaten it before... You are a strong woman and will remain strong and battle this with whatever they tell you. As a stage I in the past I assume you never did chemo. For me, it wasn't bad at all... I know everyone is different so just be proactive with preventing side effects (my best piece of advice).

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

I am home and in my chair! My girlfriend had a Thanksgiving dinner in our fridge. OMG it feels so good to be home.

How long with the compression girdle with stage 1?? I understand its importance, but am wondering.

Marty, I have been on LASIK for 3 days and my ankles are no better. Do you have relief from this yet?

• naturegirl2
    edited November 2012

Hi Betsy,

And you are absolutely right, two different kinds of cancer but in the same breast, the second time around(2007) having a mastectomy.  Yes, I did have chemo initially back in 1991 along with radiation, and lumpectomy.  So technically, it was not a recurrence in 2007. This 3rd time is a bit different.  I'm going to PM you. Thanks for your encouraging words!

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Cherrie... I was told to wear compression for one week post last drain.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012

Cherrie..... If I remember correctly the compression has to stay on until one week after the last drain is removed.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

yeah for you Cherrie...cannot answer about the compression...never had to wear it...weird how all docs do it different even with different patients.    Sleep well in your own home....and here's to a week of good healing to everyone!

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2012

Cherrie - it took me 3 days.  The morning after I arrived home was the first time I saw the ankles.  Then I stopped the lasix.  Dr M has a note in our notebooks about compression - I think she wants about a month, but we can change to a panty-type girdle.  She did note that if we change, we should try to get an open crotch model so we don't keep pulling it up and down.  I ordered a Marena LGT to be delivered today.  I still have hip drains and will wait to wear it til they are out (hopefully today or tomorrow).  I am looking at this as training for Stage II compression.  Glad you are home and in your chair!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2012

The Marena LGT is the one with zippers, correct?  It's pretty easy to wear with drains, actually, because of the zippers.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2012

Maggie, I am glad you got some comfort and peace of mind by calling Dr. M. Lesson to everyone, if you are in a bit of a freak out and afraid to call, that is the time you need to call the most! Mags, I remember feeling similar things a few days after being home - I was overly active and my boobs looked grayish to me and DH, and I called, and Jeanine said if they are soft, you are fine. They were soft. I don't know what that was, but everything was fine. Maybe it was all in our minds!. And also, there was someone here who was afraid to take off the black bra they give you for fear her boobs would un-furl and fall off! nightmares and dreams, that sort of thing! I think some of these things are so normal after all we've been through, literally being taken apart and then put back together by these awesome docs.

BettyeE, thanks for reaching out to NatureGirl2, you are awesome. I am glad you two have made contact. The scariest part of any of this BC journey is the feeling of being alone. The diagnoses, the treatments, the surgeries. It is so good to have a "tribe" of women supporting each other through it all. 

I have no idea what is with the Football link above??!! I would not click it for fear of a virus, just saying! (I can't delete it). I am going to click "Report this Post" and ask the moderators to remove it.

Hope you all are not in a Turkey haze!!!

Maybe the docs are taking a holiday break! Here are the next surgeries coming up! A slew of stage 2's!

Dec 12 - TTay - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA 

Dec 14 - LesleyAnne67 - Stage 2 in NOLA.  

Dec 18 - AnnAlive - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA. 

Dec 19 - Kerry A - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA. 

• MartyJ
    edited November 2012

Yes, the LGT has the zippers.  The Veronique I came out of surgery with has the zippers, too, but they made slits in it to accommodate the drain lines.  I have added wash cloths as a wrap under the zippers on both sides and it has helped reduce irritation a lot.  

I have been reminded why women generally weighed less 50+ years ago and had better posture - they wore foundation garments just like we are wearing.  I remember pulling my mother into her merry widow before a formal event.  No one went without a girdle - even the pinup girls.  Maybe us bra burners did a disservice.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012

Loving my dom girdle for not allowing me to over eat yesterday. Oddly, I don't like the time it is off for showering. It provides comfort and support and makes me feel better. I think I turned the corner to head back up already, just 4 days post op stage 2. Feeling pretty good. The pain has changed from burning intolerable to feeling heavy. Taking dilaudid to keep it comfortable and moving around really well. In comparison to stage 1, this one is not bad at all. I was thrilled to be drain free. Stage 2 ladies coming up, no worries because you will do great. Take care all!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2012

Hey there ladies. Thank you cascasder for thinking about me!! I've been reading and praying for all of you!! I didn't want to post as I was frustrated, but I am in a better frame of mind now. I didn't get any relief from the lasix, but right now I am just taking things as they come.

I had one of the best Thanksgivings that i have had in a very long time. It's always been a VERY hard holiday for me!! It was my moms FAVORITE holiday and she went all out and it was an all day event with my entire family there playing games and just hanging out. I miss my mom very much, but I think this year I was in a better frame of mind and realized I have SO much to be thankful for!!! I was able to see family that I don't get to see very often and spend time with my son at the Christmas tree lighting.

If at all possible, I need a prayer request. I had to take my son to the ER Monday afternoon and they did a CT scan. They found what they are calling a cyst on his brain. We are already on the schedule to see a pediatric neurologist on Thursday. It isn't something he was born with and my husband and I are freaked out, but are remaining calm so my son stays calm. I am just asking for prayers as I believe in the power of prayer. Thank you ladies!!! Hoping it's nothing!!!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!! Cherrie, glad you are home!! I was so swollen when I left NOLA that I had a hard time getting flip flops on, but after a few days at home, the swelling went down. Marty and Willie, glad you both are doing well.
    Naturegirl, I am so sorry about you diagnosis. Looking at your history, you are certainly a fighter and know you will fight this head on!! Hugs to all you ladies!!!

Good luck to all those upcoming. There is another lady who isn't on this board who is having a stage 2b on Dec. 6th with Dr. D.

All of you are amazing, brave and strong women!!!

Chelle

• MartyJ
    edited November 2012

Chelle, your son and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.  I am so very sorry this additional burden has been given you, but from your postings on this list think that you are stronger than even you may imagine. Hugs!

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2012

Chellehump, I wish the best outcome for your son and your family.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2012

Chelle --

Prayers coming your way ... and will pass on your family to my prayer circle if that is OK. One more test of strength and faith ... and you've got both, lady!

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Chelle- I am so sorry your family is going through this. My prayers are with you and your son.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2012

Chelle

You and your family will be in my prayers for sure. I can't imagine dealing with your child being sick. I have always said I'm glad it was me and not my children or grandchildren. I am praying for strength to deal with whatever this is and pray for peace that only GOD can give you.

Spring

Thank you for your kind words. And I thank you so much for starting this thread. I have read every post. If not for this thread, I would not have had the courage to have the surgery. And if I had not had the surgery I don't know when I would have known that I had cancer in the other breast or that the cancer had gone to my bones. You probably saved my life and I will always n grateful to you.

Bettye

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012

Prayers for you and your family Chelle . May you have health, strength and courage.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl, I'm so sorry to hear your cancer has returned. My heart goes out to you, and I pray for your strength to get you through this.

Chelle, I'm glad this was a good holiday for you, and I'm praying for your son.

Ttay

• naturegirl2
    edited November 2012

Thanks for your encouraging words Chelle.  I am thinking of you and praying for you and your son as well at this tough time. Thanks ttay for your kind words and thoughts too.  The sternum biopsy still has not be scheduled.  Ochsner Intervention Radiology is backed up at this time from what I was told.  Hopefully Tues. I will be scheduled.  I'll call Monday once again to see.  Trying to stay on top of things here.  I think of all of you girls and your trials daily.  Y'all are so brave and strong.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers.  Please, put me in any prayer circle you can.