Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Taderbug
    Taderbug Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2012

Sandy: I'm sorry to say I had a similar experience. In addition, Mercy Medical will not send to another doctor even if you had one that would complete it (I didn't). Mercy Medical relieved me a little when they said that I could have my plastic surgeon fill it out for stage 2 especially since I believe you are only eligible for one flight a lifetime. My plan is to utilize for stage 2.

I will admit I was very upset with my doctor that wouldn't sign. I find doctors just simply do not understand & are not very supportive of seeking care outside of your hometown. Dr. Massey is my doctor. I just finished (5 weeks ago) stage 1 in NOLA. It did help to have Dr. Massey speak with your helper doctor....it seemed to help with the lack of understanding and arrogance of local MD's. Good Luck!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2012

Chelle - You and your family are in my prayers.  I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2012

Thank you all so much!! Yes Celtic, please add him to your prayer list. He's always been a very healthy child. He broke his first bone in February of this year which we could have swore would have happened before he was 2. He was always a little dare devil that had no fear. I can't tell you how scared we are! I'd go through all this a million times if it meant my child would remain healthy. When he gets these headaches that won't go away & make him dizzy, it scares us even more.

I can't thank you all enough for the prayers, please just continue to pray.

People say I'm brave and strong for everything I've been through, but I pray for extra strength to help with this.

Hugs to you all!! This is such an amazing group of women!! Thank you again!!

Chelle

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

Hi Chelle,

I know you are freaked out, but doctors do know so much about the brain, and by them saying its a cyst, that is GREAT news... Hopefully one surgery to remove it (as aspirated cysts tend to return) and done... I know many people with brain issues and it is amazing to me how doctors can fiddle on the brain and send you home the next day, but they do. A woman I work with had a tumor on her brain, benign, had it removed and she is great now. Your son is in my prayers... Just like with you, one step, one task at a time...

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited November 2012

Drains out! Freedom! It only took one dilaudid and 3 mg of ativan. I am so thankful for my husband. He is my hero. I did 2 mastectomies and 2 years of reconstruction as a single gal. I am very blessed to have him walking with me on this phase of the journey.

The actual drain removal didn't hurt, just getting the stitches clipped and pulled. I guess a long nap is going to be required before I am functional again, then a shower and fresh new merena girdle as my Veronique is feeling a bit big.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2012

Marty- I have ankles again!!!!

I also have one drain left that is still producing. Less today than yesterday though. I hope this trend continues. My appetite is back, but changed. I am coffee addicted and don't like the taste of it right now. Has this happened to anyone? Also, I still have somewhat blurry vision and I am on no pain meds at all. Again, has anyone experienced this?

My DH came home with a Genie bra for me. He heard me talking about it from this site. I laughed. Marty's husband did this too.

Feeling good today and slept most of last night for the first time since surgery. Yay!

Prayers on going for all, especially Naturegirl and Chelle. Hang in there.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

I still have my last drain and was waiting for Dr M to tell me to pull it...today though I keep beggin my hubby to do it.  He says I should wait but it is only giving 12.5 consistently for 7 days now.  martyj did you decide to take the last ones out yourself??? 

Chelle--many thoughts and prayers for strength you way...we do not like it when our babies are not well!!

Maggie-2

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Dr. M says three full days of 30cc or less and it is ready to come out. At my post op Dr. S showed my husband how to do it. I think he likes the challenge. It is scary though. I retread her materials and that is what it said. Sounds like yours is ready Maggie.

That last drain will be very freeing. Then the compression garment. I don't want to invest in other garments as these aren't that bad for me. The sides roll down and get uncomfortable at times though. I can't complain. I am able to do more than I thought T this point. I do tire out easily. Thank goodness I retired this year.

• mags20487
    edited November 2012

I was never put in compression garments....not sure why.  Becky said some patients do not need them...Dr M decides as to whether or not you wake up with compression. 

My hubby already had to pull 1 hip and the one that returned after leftie was removed.  We are definitely blessed to have such amazing men in our lives.

Maggie-2

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited November 2012

Naturegirl,  I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.  Lean on all of these wonderfully supportive women.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelle,  You hang in there.  You are a very strong lady.  I will be praying for you both.

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited November 2012

Thanks Chelle & Downy.  I will take all the prayers and positive thoughts I can get right about now. I'm hoping for a good and positive outcome once my oncologist can see just which kind of cancer has returned and treatment. I feel at home here on the NOLA board even though I did not go through with breast reconstruction as a decision I made.  Who knew I wouldn't have been able to go thru b/r once they found what they did anyway.  B/R just not in the cards for me, ya know.

• MartyJ
    edited November 2012

Cherrie - Isn't it fun to find your ankles!  My drain output on the hips averaged less than 20 for a few days and had been averaging 10 - 12 each for several days. Dr. M told me that I would probably pull over thanksgiving.  I could have done it sooner, but lacked guts which I happily substituted with drugs.  Only pain was when he had to clip and pull the stitches.  Didn't feel the drain pull at all.  Put some neosporin on the spots, covered with a 4x4 and zipped back into Veronique.  Maggie, it sounds like you are ready to go for some freedom!  Here's hoping your husbands have as steady a hand as mine!  Just remember that if you tend to be anxious, even if you love and trust your husband, drugs can be your best friend just to ease things along.

Chuck wants me to wait until late today or tomorrow to get a shower to give the slits an opportunity to heal.  Then I will pull on my new marena LGS - it is a size smaller than my veronique (things are seeming a bit looser as I loose water weight).  I am actually almost down to the weight I was when I left Charleston for NOLA - 3 lbs to go.  Of course, I totalally thought I would be at least 5 lbs lighter as that was the combined weight of the silicone implants. Oh well, gotta get working and bike riding (when allowed).

• mags20487
    edited November 2012

and gone....hubby took out the last one before we went to dinner.  He did the other 2 last week...truly amazing man.  To me it does not hurt at all.  When I had them pulled after the bmx I was a nervous wreck and made my husband stand on one side holding my hand and my son on the other.  Then when done realized it does not hurt me so the rest have been a piece of cake.  I am so excited that I can also go off the antibiotic in a couple of days as my system has been on them for over 3 weeks now...yuck

today has been a good day.  bought some genie bras and an ahh bra to try.  The ahh bra rides up less then the genie does.  Died my hair too as the roots were getting really bad.  Feeling pretty again today...it's been a while... I think the drains make me feel "dirty" somehow. 

thank you all...love to everyone and hugs all around.

Maggie-2

• Cherrie
    edited November 2012

Maggie I am so happy you are feeling so much better. I am jealous that you all are getting drains out. My one drain was 58 yesterday and in the forties today. It may be forever. My husband or helper doctor is ready to do it when I give them the word. I don't want to pull too early and have problems down the road. I want off antibiotics too!!!

Healing hugs to all! Hoping for a good nights sleep.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2012

Wow- Stage 2 in a little over 3 weeks. Looks like I'm the last on the 2012 schedule. I have been trying to follow other posts about Stage 2 but had a few questions.

• Are you in a surgical bra post surgery? I am planning to go smaller not sure if that makes any difference...
    • Do you have limited range of motion post surgery like Stage 1? Realize there is lifting restrictions like Stage 1 but trying to figure out I'll need button up tops again.
    • Are drains in about 1 week post op? It is normally 4 drains? I had hip flaps for my Stage 1.
    • Realize everyone is different, but is 2 weeks off work the average amount of time many of you took off?

Thank you all!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2012

Hi, KerryA:

* Yes to the surgical bra.  Are you doing nipple reconstruction?  If so, prepare to wear impossible-to-hide plastic nipple guards for several weeks.  Loud prints are your friends! 

* No additional restriction of movement. I felt like I picked up where I left off on range of motion in my shoulders.

* For my hip flap Stage 2, I had 4 drains and kept them 7 to 14 days.  I think a week is the norm.

* My job is not physically demanding, and 2 weeks felt right for me.  I did not need pain meds for long. I just tired out quickly.  I'm 6 weeks out and feel that my energy is really back.

Best wishes!  It's worlds better than Stage 1!  I was put at ease going back for my pre-op and seeing the incredible staff there.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012

Kerry A, yes to the post surgery bra. I also had the girdle post op. ROM was not an issue after my stage 2. I did not need any drains and very pleased about that. Tomorrow is my one week post op mark and I am going back to work. I have a desk job from home, but feel I could still start tomorrow if I worked at the office. I will take tylenol for the work day and resume pain meds after work and bed time. For clothing, loose fitting and comfortable is best. I had lots of swelling. Take care all.

• mags20487
    edited November 2012

Hi all....I have noticed for the last couple of days that my tummy is feeling really bloated and firm...I think I remember some of you saying this is normal???  It seems like the tightness is amped up a bit too.  It is 3 1/2 weeks now since the diep.  Overall I feel really well.  Wishing I could just put a pair of jeans on instead of my sweats.  All in due time

Maggie-2

• Downey30
    edited November 2012

Hi Mags,  I am about 5 months out and still have days of bloating and firmness.  While I was in Melbourne I had two scar release sessions that lasted 2 hours each.  It made a huge difference.  Hang in there.  It does get much better with time.

• mags20487
    edited November 2012

what is a scar release session?  wish we could have met while you were here.  Next time let's arrange ahead of time...only 24 more hyperbaric sessions to go...need some Pt for the arms now and not sure if I can fit em in before the end of the year.  thanks for the quick answer.  paranoid all the time about everything now!

Maggie-2

• Downey30
    edited November 2012

Mags, the scar release was intense work on the areas of scarring.  They had begun to feel very tight and feel much better since the tx.  It's mostly about loosening everything back up.  Yes,  we will plan to meet my next FL visit.  Sorry to have missed you.

• deniseday
    deniseday Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2012

I may be on the wrong thread.  I haven't been on here in months.  I had BMX with immediate reconstruction, ( no tissue expanders), in October 2011.  I'm scheduled for nipple reconstruction on Wednesday.  I am supposed to attend a wedding on Saturday and it is also my 50th birthday.  I know it's just another day, but as you all know after battling Breast Cancer every birthday is a reason to celebrate. I'm just searching for some information.  Has anyone on here had any experience with this surgery?  They will be grafting from my groin area.  I am contemplating rescheduling if I am going to be too confined.  I spent last Christmas recovering.  I don't want to do that again.  I was trying to have the procedure done before the end of the year though because I have met my deductable. 

Thanks for any info.,

Denise

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Hi Denise... You may get more responses if you search for nipple recon. Most everyone on this thread has had DIEP or GAP flaps and the doctors who are performing these procedures are using the skin right on the breast to form the nipple... I have not heard from anyone on this thread getting nipples from the groin...

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2012

Maggie - 2.  I'm 4 weeks out from DIEP and I have noticed the bloating and the firmess has started to let up just these past few days.  My tummy was rock hard.  It's not completely soft now, but I can definitely tell a difference even in just the past few days!  Hang in there.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2012

Maggie2, I went to a PT that specialized in treating breast cancer patients. I had range of motion issues after my BMX/ALND and started PT at 5 weeks when everything was healed. In addition to the shoulder and ribs, she worked on my DIEP scar and my whole belly (you know how they lift and pull the tissue down--that makes scar tissue and/or adhesions). The technique she used for scar release is called 'soft tissue mobilization.' It's a stronger technique than myofacial release. Getting all the scar tissue worked on made a world of difference for me. I don't think everyone needs it; or at least it doesn't bother everyone. I still am still tight in my chest and ribs and do my prescribed stretching at least 3x per week. I was told the chemo would tighten me up (for lack of more accurate medical description) for a long time, so the stretching keeps me feeling normal. My belly feels really good even though it is still somewhat tight.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2012

Anyone know if Dr. D is still answering questions on the plastic surgery message board?  I read every single post and noticed that lately (since Mid-October) there have been posts, but no replies.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2012

Audrella, I have not been on the Ask the Doc forum. Has anybody else?

Denise, What Betsy said, but honestly, that sounds like an ouchie to me!! (especially the groin part!!) I would postpone it if you want to be in tip top shape for the celebration.

BettyeE - You are such a sweetie! I am so glad you are still hanging out here on this thread, you are one of the old timers at this point! You inspire me - I am so happy you feel this thread was helpful to you. Tears in eyes! A recurrence can happen to anybody, and I truly admire how you have handled everything. I wonder if I would have such grace...

Ttay, did you get the results of your scan back yet?? I have been thinking about you and hope I didn't miss a post...

Everyone - the tummy bloat is totally normal. It is very annoying! But it eventually goes away! It can stick around for quite some time... (ugh).

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Audrella.. I noticed that too.. I go there every couple of weeks to read, and Dr D is MIA... wonder whats up with that??

• MartyJ
    edited November 2012

Morning!  I think that maybe Dr. D is so busy lately he hasn't been able to post. My surgery was the 9th with Dr. M and he whisked by me on the 15th when I went for post-op. The waiting room was really full.   End of year insurance makes the clinic/hospital are very busy. Just saying that might be why he hasn't posted.

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

I am glad he is busy... busy is good for business.