Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2012

Hi everyone.

I have tentatively scheduled stage 2 for 1/28. I say tentative because that is Super Bowl time. They told me there were no hotels available but I found a good one for the first two nights. Then hubby will have no choice but to sleep in the hospital day of surgery and then I can find one for 1/31. The problem is 2/1. Except for one or two very poorly reviewed places there is nothing available so not sure what to do yet. Katie is looking in to hope lodge. Have anyone of you been there and what can u say about it? I doubt my husband will like it but for one night it might be great if they can put me there. Any feedback about it would be appreciated.

I bought a new bra no underwire, white which looks beautiful. I am a 38 c and hope when I am lifted I do not. Get smaller. I love this size. (was a 38 almost full B prior and a 34 aA until the last 10 years.

I have a lot of numbness surprisingly around abdominal area, near belly button. Hope that improves. Bye.

Ps. Chelle will. BE praying for you.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited November 2012

Pamela -- DH & I stayed at Hope Lodge before & after my stage 1 in July. They have nice adjustable beds and shower seats, room newly remodeled. It was a blessing to have a free place to stay for 10 days, and there is a kitchen and dining area to prepare your own meals, but you can't take any food or drink to your room except water. That was hard after stage 1 getting dressed presentably enough to go to the dining area to eat, and not be able to eat in the room when I didn't feel like going downstairs (but there is an elevator). It is also not that close to the Center and restaurants and stores. We stocked up at Whole Foods and DH didn't mind cooking for us. For my stage 2 next month we are staying at a hotel, but it's a shorter stay.

I have all that abdominal numbness too, after 4 months. Not sure it goes away.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2012

Ann & Pamela,  My abdominal numbness went away except for below my new bellybutton (which is very nice, thank you Dr. D!) after 8 months.  Took a long while but it did keep improving.  Now I am back to numbness but know every day brings nerve growth, about 1 mm per day.

We stayed at Comfort Suites in Harvey post op because of hotel availability (football games).  It was newly decorated and nice enough but could have used some deep cleaning on the hallway carpeting.  Had complimentary breakfast in the lobby.  Not the nicest area but my husband did walk and find a place to purchase cranberry and prune juice.      

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2012

I stayed at Hope Lodge for a few days before stage 1. The rooms are clean and as nice as any hotel. You also have hallways to walk there. The only downside is the kitchen facilities are on first floor, but you have an elevator to go down.

I would rent a car if you stay there. Enterprise will come pick you up to get your car.

Right across the street is the levee with a bike and walking trail. That was quite nice, but the weather was warm when I was there.

I think the Hope Lodge is very doable.

You can also try VRBO. We stayed at an apartment on the street car line and had the Fresh Market across the street.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

we were supposed to stay at the comfort suites in harvey as well...stayed one night instead of the 5 til my post op due to what happened.  i thought it was great for the price...little larger room...lots of food around and free breakfast, free parking, and free internet to give my hubby something to do.  We paid $79/night and it was about 15-20 minutes from St Charles.

Maggie-2

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

pamela... My stage 2b is that week as well... do keep an eye on the airfare as well. I am flying out 2/1, but by 2/3 the fare goes up at least $1500 pp.

• Pamela44
    edited November 2012

bdavis- got airfare from EWR for $255 pp 1/28-2/02.  Of course comfort seats (which my husband needs) increased the fare but this was cheaper then what I paid for stage 1 which was more in the order of 450/pp.  I am staying at Le Pavilion for two nights, hospital one night and Hope Lodge for two nights. Maybe we will cross paths.

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2012

Pamela,

I highly recommend the Hope Lodge.  I've stayed there twice recently.  In addition to the beautiful rooms, it's very clean and quiet.  I never had a problem going to the kitchen in sweats, it's a very casual place, no one really dresses up.  You are provided with your own storage area in the commercial refrigerator and another storage area for dry goods.  The kitchen itself is huge with 4 cooking stations, it's a bit outdated and from what I understand is the next area to be renovated, I'm not sure when that's going to happen, you might ask as that would be an inconvenience.  They provide all the pots and pans you could imagine, cutlery, plates, etc., basic spices and condiments are all there as well.  

There are 2 outdoor sitting areas, one a screened in with couches and chairs and the other with a grill and tables to sit and eat if the weather is nice enough. There is also a small laundry area.  You do need to bring your own toiletries and they don't provide maid service during your stay.  When you leave they ask you to clean out your items from the kitchen and to put your dirty sheets and towels in a pillow case and just leave them in the room.  

The staff and volunteers are very friendly and accommodating.  On several occassions when I've been there, local volunter groups have come in to cater dinner and also provide entertainment (usually local musicians).  

FYI:  Children are not allowed to stay there unless they are the cancer patient.  It is allowable to have guests visit during your stay. There is free Internet access and nice TV's in the rooms.  They have a new Keurig coffee maker in the kitchen, I brought my own K-cups from home in addition to a few of my other favorite snacks just in case I couldn't get out to the store. You do see a lot of people arrive with food they've brought from home.  There is a Winn-Dixie within a 5 minute drive from the Lodge, the Whole Foods is about a 15-20 minute drive.  If you rent a car there is ample parking at the Lodge.  It's about a $20 taxi ride to the French Quarter from the Lodge.

Hope this helps you feel more comfortable about staying there.  You might be able to get your care taker/husband in while you're still at the hospital, not exactly sure how that works, but doesn't hurt to ask.  

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Pamela... That's great.. I fly 1/27-2/1  and mine was $330 (minus a $92 credit I had)... Out of Newark also.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited November 2012

Good evening, Ladies.

Spring: I received a copy of my bone scan in the mail, but I haven't heard from my oncologist about it. It did not show any metastatic disease, so that was great news. I really appreciated the support and prayers. "Whew!"

Chelle: Thinkng about you and your son. Have faith that all will be well tomorrow.

TTay

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited November 2012

ttay...horray for you!!

Maggie-2

• Pamela44
    edited November 2012

Tatyana that,s wonderful!

Thank you glostagirl

Bdavis sounds like we will meet in the hall at the hospital. Feel free to find my room to say hi.

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

I have my pre-op with Dr D 1/28 at 9am... My surgery is 7am or so on Wednesday 30th. If you are flying in the 28th, you can't be having surgery that day.. did I miss something??

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2012

Ttay-what great news! The waiting must have been hell. So happy for you.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited November 2012

Ttay -- GREAT news! Best Christmas gift one could ask for!!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2012

Ttay,  Terrific news!!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2012

Yay, ttay! Wonderful news!

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2012

TTay - I have been thinking about you and hoping you would get good news.  So wonderful!

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2012

Good morning ladies :-) We are sitting in traffic on our way to the doctors office. Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers!!!

Ttay, I am SO happy for you!! I've been praying for you!! Now off to stage 2 for you :-)

Hugs to you all!!!!

Chelle

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2012

Chelle- My prayers are with your family today. I enjoyed meeting with you at the Center, at your post-op for Stage 2. I was there for my pre-op for my Stage 1. You were very nice to talk with. I know my husband enjoyed getting to talk with another man as well. Take care. I will be thinking of you all today.

TTay- I am so happy for you! This is great news!!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited November 2012

Ttay -- what a relief that your bone scan is OK! Stage 2 for you in less than 2 weeks!

Anyone get sick with a cold/flu before surgery? It's going around and I have the headache, cough, sniffles, but no fever, starting last night. My stage 2 is in 2.5 weeks, so I want to conquer this thing! Taking Zicam lozenges and trying to rest.

• Pamela44
    edited November 2012

bdavis- I fly in the 28th. My surgery is the 30th also with Dr. S.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2012

Kerry, I enjoyed meeting you too!! It's hard to believe that was over 2 months ago. Time flies that's for sure!! I've been on this thread for almost a year now, but remember when I first joined how anxious and nervous I was. You ladies are amazing and I can't thank you enough for all the advice and support all of you have given, not to mention the endless prayers!!

We saw the doctor and they aren't sure what's going on with my son. They aren't sure if the cyst is causing the symptoms of if it's something else. What happened last week minics a type of seizure, but we still don't have any answers. They are scheduling an MRI and an EEG and we will go from there. He hasn't had a headache in a week which is great, but know in the back of our minds, that one will be rearing it's ugly head soon :(
    We are staying calm around him to keep him from panicing, but it's hard when you know something is wrong and you don't know what it is.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers, but please continue to pray.

Hugs to you all!!

Good luck to the ladies coming up!!

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited November 2012

Wonderful news, Ttay!! I've been thinking of you a lot. Happy holidays, indeed!

Chelle, your family has been in my prayers. The "not knowing" is the worst. Ugh! I am praying for a feeling of peace in the midst of all the unknown. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2012

Chelle, I hope the doctors give you some good news soon.  I know your son is lucky to have such a strong mama advocating for him!  Keeping you all in my thoughts.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012

AnnAlive..same here, have had it for awhile now and only 8days until surgery. Did not think it was ok to take anything so just drinking lots of Emergen-C and lots of water. Hubby sick also. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Ttay, good news!

Chelle, Hang in there, one day at a time, we will be here for you.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited November 2012

Ttay, happy tears right now for you as I read your post! So glad you got the scan sooner than your doc instruction. Waiting can be torture. When you ladies receive any good news, it is so encouraging; I've been very fearful lately.

Chelle, praying for your son. xo

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited November 2012

Ttay~ what great and relieving news!

Chelle~Prayers and hope continue for your son and you.

All~Hope you all get well before your upcomings surgeries!  I got a flu shot as usual, but still have to hope not to pick up a cold germ before surgery.

Cascader~ you must be leaving soon for surgery?  Hope your cold clears up before then and before flights, too.  Looks like the weather forecast will be nice and healing for you when you are in Charleston next week - sunny and low 70's - beach walking weather for sure.  Hope it stays that way all month :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2012

Pamela, I added your 1/28 surgery, just let me know if it gets moved around! 

TTay, whoop!!! Yay! So happy for you!! 

Numb spots, I have numb spots around belly button, and on butt, and down sides of hips, top of legs on side, but not even on both sides! (I had stacked, so both front and back). It's not too annoying, I guess I've gotten used to it. 

• bdavis
    edited November 2012

Numb spots for me: around belly button, sides of thigh/hip area and breasts.. doesn't bother me