Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Paula_Kay
    Paula_Kay Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2013

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for sharing.

Audrella ~ keeping you close today in thought and prayer

Betsy ~ would love to see pics - especially of brusing, but as of yet have not been given permission to access that board.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

Hi PaulaKay... Sometimes TimTam takes a while to get back to people... sorry.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2013

Thanks again to everyone for your help!  I did forget to mention that another part of my pain was my tummy incision coming apart in the middle last week!  They said there was nothing that can be done, cannot re-sucture...just had to clean, bandage and be patient...this really freaked me out...did anyone else ever have this happen?

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

A lot of women have this problem.. not on the NOLA thread but on the DIEP 2012 and 2013 thread. Not sure why it happens, but it needs to heal from the inside out and if they resuture, it can trap bacteria. I had an open incision on my breast and was first told to use betadine and compression and then told to use a saline wash and gauze and stuff the aguze inside the incision... Follow whatever your doctor tells you to do... You can also have a wound debridement and wound vac... Not sure how bad your opening is... If its little, just clean, betadine and bandage.

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

For those of you who have had many nodes removed and even those of us that have only had a few.  Lymphedema is a major side effect from having nodes removed after breast cancer surgery.  The Center for Reconstructive Surgery has a lymphedema treatment program that can help with the discomfort from lymphedema.  All the Doc at the center including Dr. Massey have been trained and are well skilled for these treatments.  

http://www.breastcenter.com/breast-reconstruction-procedures/lymphedema-treatment/

You don't have to suffer with this.  There are ways to wrap the afflicted arm and there are RX sleeves you can get to help relieve the pain.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2013

night sweats, could it be you are in menopause (chemopause)? During chemo my period stopped and the hot flashes were terrible! Then I had body temperature regulation problems for like a year or more. Now it is more evened out, or maybe I am just used to it (dress in layers, etc). 

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2013

Wow, didn't realize how common it is to have an incision seperate...The travelling nurse told me 'off the record' to clean and put lots of vitamin E on it...Thanks!!!Kiss As far as the night sweats...I don't believe I am in menopause yet.  I am 44 and haven't had any symptoms of that.  I will say, though, a week after surgery, my menses came 10 days earlier than expected...I am always regular so this was strange!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2013

Today, and tomorrow!

Thinking of you, Audrella! Good luck Willy!

Feb 20 - Audrella - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA. 

Feb 21 - willy5js5 - Stage 2b, Dr. M, Chicago

• Sydgrace
    Sydgrace Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2013

Joellelee, I had terrible night sweats (and daytime hot flashes).  So so so uncomfortable to feel that rush of heat & start sweating out of nowhere.  It would wake me up out of a dead sleep - then I'd be cranky & off from not sleeping.  My hormones were incredibly off right after my Stage 1 surgery. It lasted about 3-4 months.  I'm 42 and was thinking I might be heading into perimenopause.  Ironically, right after Stage II, things seemed to regulate.  I'm afraid to jinx myself, but as of right now, no night sweats and the hormones are back to normal.  Hang in there - I'm sure your body will get back to normal before you know it.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2013

The pain under arm is so horrible, no matter how hard you try to forget about bc it is always there, feels like someone is sawing off my arm. Never want to say anything because we think it is only part of it and nobody else will understand, sorry to hear that it may just be part of SE and I am trying to learn to live and forget about it and hope it will start becoming a part of me and won't just ALWAYS remind me I had/have bc :(

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited February 2013

I can't wait to hear how Brenda and Audrella are doing. It helps me to know what I am in for. 😁

I am in Chicago! I stopped at Dr. M's office today and gave Becky a hug. I am at my son's apartment in Wicker Park for the night. Tomorrow I will be at the hotel across from Magna the surgical center. I will be thinking of you Anita. What time is your surgery? I am just missing you.

My pre-op will be before my1:30surgery on Friday. I will post as soon as I am able. I am not too nervous yet. Yay!!!!

Are you ready Dianne?

Thanks everyone for the PM'sand words of encouragement here! You are my sisters' that is for sure.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited February 2013

night sweats....oh yeah!!!

how to tell if a flap fails....well...color will go purple after just a little while as well as super cold to touch it.  I knew right away when I took my bra off that fateful day and saw the purple lines and felt the ice cold breast.  It was only 5 days after my procedure. Dr M said after 3 weeks it would take monumental event...fall, car crash, bad bump to the breast or sleeping on it at that point to make it fail.  I also had the belly incision open up and needed a wound vac for 4 weeks as well as hyperbaric treatments to heal.  All good now and getting ready for my next attempt in less than 2 weeks....whew....my belly has butterflies now

Cherrie...hope all goes well as I am sure it will...stage 2 has to be a piece of cake after what you have already endured!

Maggie 

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2013

Thinking of all the stage 2 gals. I really feel ready for tomorrow. Just got back from the store to stock up on healthy protein and easy meal stuff. I live close enough to Chicago that staying there isn't necessary. My preop with Dr M is at the surgery center at 12:30 tomorrow. Surgery will follow, my guess is around 2. Hoping the morning with no coffee or food is the worst part. Plan is to sleep in and have just enough time to shower and go. I guess I will stay up later and watch movies tonight to make sleeping in easy.

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2013

Good plan, Anita. The only bright side to surgery being at the break of dawn is not having to go coffee free for very long.

I am packed (finally) after a very long three days at work, and our flight tomorrow is at 6 am. Ugh!! I am looking forward to getting to New Orleans without a feeling of dread in my stomach. Looks like it is going to rain all day tomorrow, so I don't know how much fun we wil have. I'm just ready!

• JanSH
    JanSH Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

Do you have Lymphedema? I do I had all my nodes remove. Just wondering they have a surgery for that in Tx at MD Anderson. Has anyone had that surgery?

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Anita, I hear you with the coffee and food. That is what I am most worried about. Also, snow storm coming in. I hope Dr. M makes it to the surgery. Ha ha!!

Diane, have a great flight! We are both having our stage 2. Good luck to you.

I am definitely thinking of you guys.

• Lulu2012
    Lulu2012 Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2013

Ladies,

Need your advice on how to treat prominent, bulging, and still purplish scars post breast reconstruction? 10 months out and the scars, especially the gluteal ones, look angry and I am not sure what to do. Silicone gel I was given made things worse for some bizarre reason...whenever I put it on the scars turned a really red, angry colour, maceration type which did not impress me at all. Vit E did nothing.

Any ideas?

Betsy: given your experience with multiple surgeries do you have any advice? What did you use? Please share for all us ladies who are struggling with scars.

Thanks, Lulu

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

Cherrie,  I will be thinking of you tomorrow and know you will do great.  Can't wait to get together in the Spring (oh, will it ever come?)  (((hugs)))  Linda

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2013

They start plowing Lake Shore Drive in the wee hours, so Dr. M should have a clear path to Magna even if it's snowing. Although I wonder if she's lost her snow-driving chops at this point ;)

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

She does have that nice 4 wheel drive jeep ;-)

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Lulu... At the one month post op mark, I use the 3M brown tape first... I use that for about 1-2 weeks and then switch to kelocote. For the brown tape, I was originally putting it on and removing it at night and reapplying, but then I read that you are to leave it on until it wants to come off... My scars after my surgery became almost invisable... and I am hoping for the same this go around... I am only at the three week mark, and yesterday and today put a lotion on the hip scars to soften them (still a little scabby)... I think I have good genes too.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Cherrie - so jealous!  Wishing I was up this week rather than waiting til April.  I hope the snow doesn't create any challenges.

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013

I'm a Charleston patient but follow this thread because our issues are so similar. I feel like I know you all, even tho I've never met anyone but Marty... Please know that when you post, it not only helps the person to whom you're writing, but those of us like me, who come along afterward and learn and take heart - even folks from other locations. Esp those of you with so many hills and valleys along the way... It is humbling and inspiring and has helped me a lot.

LA - loved your nipple comment! My journey began a year ago, too, and now I'm 4 weeks post-Stage 1. I'm looking forward to Stage 2 on May 6.

Cherrie - I agree with Marty's comment. I had an aunt who had OC for 11 years. I would do all I could to avoid it, when the time is right for you. On timing, I would ask how much time the procedure would add to the surgery time, so you know how long you'll be under. Another surgery is risky, but so is a long surgery. I'd weigh risks of 2 procedures against risks of one long procedure.

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

I am surprisingly calm about this one. I just know it's going to go great. I am hydrating and continuing protein drinks.

Marty- April will be here before you know it! In some ways I wished I had more time for proper eating and walking. Keep it up. I will get back into walking the moment I can.

Sewanee Girl- I agree with everything you said. That is why I visit both sites. I have learned so much from those before me. I am sure I will have lots of more questions too.

You stage 2 girls- were you up to walking right after surgery? Did anyone take pain meds with no opiates? I hate narcotics as I have vivid dreams and get nauseous. I live 3 hours from Chicago, when will I feel like taking that trip? I have the hotel room through Tuesday, but would love to leave Monday. Surgery is tomorrow. Any advice???😘

• Cherrie
    edited February 2013

Anita- Thinking of you girl. Give your doctor a hug for me.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

Cherrie... With surgery Friday, Monday should be fine. I had a Wednesday surgery and was flying home Saturday... I did have drugs and was nauseous the first night (actually threw up), which has never happened before... I wanted to stay a second night, but we were concerned about insurance paying for it. I just waiting until after dinner to leave on Thursday.

• Judy_63
    Judy_63 Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2013

Hi all,

I have a question...I was wondering how long was your stay in NOLA for stage 1? That is with no complications. My plan is to have a Diep for both. Already have a mastectomy on right, but thinking about a prophylactic mastectomy for left.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2013

Judy - Pre-surg testing is all day the day before surgery.  Then in hospital for 3 - 4 nights and discharged to local hotel.  Post op is before you leave NOLA.  Count on about 10 days.  Both St. John's Surgical Center and Fairway have sleeping arrangements for a caregiver.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2013

It's great to be back here!  Stage II went smoothly and lasted for 5 hours.  Dr. D told my hubby that he did all that we discussed plus some, so I'm anxious to hear/see what else he did.  I have a follow up on Monday, and I'll be sure to ask.  The plan included bilateral nipple reconstruction, bilateral lift, removal of axillary tissue, abdominal scar revision, and lipo of inner thighs, outerthighs, hips, abdomen, back and behind, and then powerwashing the large firm are I had on my left.  I left the hospital with all three drains he put in.  Hoping they all come out on Monday at my post-op appointment.

I did very well with the anesthesia this time, which I am so happy about.  Anesthesia usually makes me very sick and dizzy.  Not a single problem this time.

I am i quit a bit of pain if I move, but if I sit still, I can barely feel a thing.  Was able to walk around the hospital with no problems at all, and I even made it up the flight of stairs to the condo we're staying at.  Painful, but definitely doable and MUCH better than stage 1.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

Glad to hear you are doing well!